Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Maybe not "big", but she is working steadily.  In addition to her L&O, Whoopi has a new movie coming out next week with Ashley Judd and Jenna Elfman:

http://bigstonegapmovie.com/

Looks OK if you like the country kinda' stuff...

This looks like a good movie.  I will see anything with Ashley Judd and I like Jenna Elfman.   Good cast!  

Maybe not "big", but she is working steadily.  In addition to her L&O, Whoopi has a new movie coming out next week with Ashley Judd and Jenna Elfman:

http://bigstonegapmovie.com/

Looks OK if you like the country kinda' stuff...

Ahhh Interesting.  I could easily be wrong but  I think this is Whoopi's first feature film in at least 15 - 20 years - if you don't count voice work. 

Ahhh Interesting.  I could easily be wrong but  I think this is Whoopi's first feature film in at least 15 - 20 years - if you don't count voice work. 

No, she was in that movie a few years ago (2010), For Colored Girls, and more recently, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Although I don't know how big of a role she had in the latter. So it hasn't been that long since she starred in a feature film.

• Love 3

Did anyone watch Law & Order last night.... Whoopi was on the show and played a corrupt Children Services Supervisor..... Im not sure why everyone was so impressed..... she spent most of the show with a stern look on her face.... She had 1 scene where she spoke.... and in the end was put in a mental ward.

I guess since her name is Whoopi... it has to be good..... Im not convinced

• Love 3

Did anyone watch Law & Order last night.... Whoopi was on the show and played a corrupt Children Services Supervisor..... Im not sure why everyone was so impressed..... she spent most of the show with a stern look on her face.... She had 1 scene where she spoke.... and in the end was put in a mental ward.

I watched it last night & my first thought was "Art imitating Life".  She played a lazy, cheating Government worker who was paid to protect poor people and their families, but she really didn't care about anyone other than herself.  Then there's the real Whoopi ..... who punishes us because she doesn't feel like doing a good job!!!

• Love 7

I'm not sure if that was regular Law and Order or Law and Order: Criminal Intent.  On Criminal Intent she played a character that was REALLY fucked up and evil, and she played a good part, made my skin crawl.

The show was on last night.... Law & Order SVU

Medicine Crow said it well

"she played a lazy, cheating government worker who was paid to protect poor people and their families, but she really didn't care about anyone other than herself."

• Love 1

I'm not sure if that was regular Law and Order or Law and Order: Criminal Intent.  On Criminal Intent she played a character that was REALLY fucked up and evil, and she played a good part, made my skin crawl.

It was Law & Order: Criminal Intent- The episode was "To the Bone" and she played a coldass motherfucking foster mother, who had the boys (only boys) under her care, steal and murder for her. And when it looked like the one the cops got was going to confess, she got another foster son, to kill him as they were walking him to either court or his cell. Pushed right out of the window and down to the sidewalk. But the scenes with her and Chris Noth's Mike Logan, were chilling indeed. It's one of my favorite episodes.

• Love 4

I was surprised that the role was so small. Aside from her courtroom scene, there just wasn't much there. I had assumed she would have had more lines. I do like Whoopi as an actress, she is very good. Her performance was fine but there wasn't any meat in the role. After Mariska's build up yesterday, I was kind of let down.

• Love 1

I see she's on Jimmy Fallon tomorrow night, so .... I guess I won't be watching that show.

Just a thought.  Wasn't Ashley Judd supposed to appear on the show today?  I wonder if she's also pissed with The Whoopster.  Ashley has just revealed that she was "harassed" by some big time Hollywood guy, so she's probably not feeling the love for The Whoopster.  (Wonder when this movie was made?)

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 1

Tunia - what an amusing article!

WG - nobody has got any money in reply to the writer trying to fund it.

There is a effect that there is a spiritual being has entered a room when WG enters?

WG - "I can do (movies) but it has to be done in a specific way." Then she laments how difficult it is to get good roles after age 12 (?)

She has no intention to get married again....unless it is to her cat. I thought she rescued a kitty thrown from a car (or something) and 2 dogs, plus the sweetheart one that couldn't hear or see.

I just can't......stand her.

• Love 4

There is a effect that there is a spiritual being has entered a room when WG enters?

Trigiani felt Goldberg "understood what I was trying to do. When she enters the room, there's an effect that a spiritual being has entered the room and a hush comes over the crowd. There is a warmth. Not everybody has it. It's her essence."

Haha!  I'm betting the director that said this has never seen The Spew.  At least not when Whoopi was moderating.  

• Love 3

It was Law & Order: Criminal Intent- The episode was "To the Bone" and she played a coldass motherfucking foster mother, who had the boys (only boys) under her care, steal and murder for her. And when it looked like the one the cops got was going to confess, she got another foster son, to kill him as they were walking him to either court or his cell. Pushed right out of the window and down to the sidewalk. But the scenes with her and Chris Noth's Mike Logan, were chilling indeed. It's one of my favorite episodes.

Yep, that was about 10 years ago. Much as I hate to admit it she was really good and really chilling in her scenes in that one. When she's not just screwing around and actually gets a role that she can sink her teeth into, the woman can act. I can't deny it.

• Love 3

Yep, that was about 10 years ago. Much as I hate to admit it she was really good and really chilling in her scenes in that one. When she's not just screwing around and actually gets a role that she can sink her teeth into, the woman can act. I can't deny it.

I think you are right Tribble Trouble, but my problem is at this point, after having watched her on this show for the past seven/eight years I can't even enjoy her acting.  My dislike for Whoopi Goldberg reached the tipping point last season. 

• Love 15

I think you are right Tribble Trouble, but my problem is at this point, after having watched her on this show for the past seven/eight years I can't even enjoy her acting.  My dislike for Whoopi Goldberg reached the tipping point last season. 

Yes Cosmo, totally agree!!  I used to enjoy her acting (& her), but I now dislike her face, voice, tone, ignorance & on & on.  She lost me for good when she was so mean to Rosie.  I used to watch the show live at 9:00 a.m., but now I only watch with my finger on FF button in the evening.

• Love 11

I think you are right Tribble Trouble, but my problem is at this point, after having watched her on this show for the past seven/eight years I can't even enjoy her acting. My dislike for Whoopi Goldberg reached the tipping point last season.

I agree. There are a handful of entertainers who have just made themselves so unlikable in real life that I can no longer separate the "art" from the person. I haven't quite reached that point with Whoopi yet, but she's just one victim blaming abuse supporting moment away from pushing me there. I think the only reason she hasn't reached that point with me already is that I don't watch the show anymore so she's not pissing me off or disgusting me on a daily basis.

• Love 7

In what universe did any publisher think Whoopi Goldberg was suited to write a book about relationships?  She truly thinks she's some sort of goddess, doesn't she, lmao….

maybe it's a book about how a relationship with a vibrator is better than a partner?

• Love 6

You just painted a picture I can't un-see.  *shudder*

I'm sorry! But it's not me. Whoopster is always talking about her "friend" in the nightstand drawer, as the reason she doesn't need a man. So I figured her friend will be featured in her book about relationships.

• Love 3

I'm sorry! But it's not me. Whoopster is always talking about her "friend" in the nightstand drawer, as the reason she doesn't need a man. So I figured her friend will be featured in her book about relationships.

lol

I'm certainly not a sexual prude on any level, but Whoopi constantly making us picture her one-on-one with her battery operated friends makes me want to throw bleach in my own eyes  :)

Edited by MatchaLove
  • Love 6

So someone who looked just like Whoopi was on Jimmy Fallon's show last night.   She played a game of pictionary with Jimmy and guests Jeff Daniels and Nelly. She didn't look sloppy and she was speaking in a normal voice rather than shouting.  She was even laughing without telling a bathroom joke. 

But when the game was over and she was in the interview seat I knew it was the real Whoopi because the entire interview was selling her book, her reality show, and her movie in that order.   Also, she once again brought Jimmy and The Roots some treats from someplace I'm sure compensated her to do so because after her book etc. that's all she talked about.  No mention of The Spew or really even who else was in the movie - although they showed a clip.  Jimmy also read a couple of lines from the book - he and I both assume it's a joke book, but I'm not so sure Whoopi thinks it is, lol.   Amazon has it listed under "Parenting & Familie's Humor" but the description doesn't sound like it's supposed to be a humor book although I found this to be pretty ridiculous in itself: 

Whoopi Goldberg has been an electrifying, envelope-pushing public figure of many stripes: acclaimed actor, comedienne, singer, songwriter, author, political activist and talk show host. Now, Whoopi will speak openly about why marriage isn't for everyone, how being alone can be satisfying, and how what's most important is understanding who you are and what makes you happy. Wise, funny, and conversation-starting, Whoopi's message is sure to resonate with the millions of people who struggle with relationships every day.

Jimmy was super gushing over her, just like he does all his guests. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3
Whoopi Goldberg has been an electrifying, envelope-pushing public figure of many stripes: acclaimed actor, comedienne, singer, songwriter, author, political activist and talk show host.
....Bit of a stretch. I didn't even know she was a singer/songwriter, but author, political activist or talk show host? She isn't good at any of those things.
  • Love 5

....Bit of a stretch. I didn't even know she was a singer/songwriter, but author, political activist or talk show host? She isn't good at any of those things.

I didn't even notice it said "singer/songwriter".  Hahahahaha  

• Love 1

Whoopi just another of those disgusting ho's who has affairs with married men, (she was boinking Ted Danson, broke up his marriage to Cassie Coates) so she fits right in with Babs Walters who had an affair with a married USSenator. And they all gushed over Camilla Parker Bowles' ability to hold the same man's attention for 30 years.

Destroying other people's marriages is just fine with these women, who love to pick on Bristol Palin who restricts herself to unmarried men.

becsuse having sex with your boyfriend is really stupid but having sex with another woman's husband is sophisticated.

I do not understand these bitches.

• Love 6

Well, to be fair, Bristol "Abstinence Only" Palin doesn't get shade for sleeping with her boyfriends, but for her absurd, profound and repeated hypocrisy and the deeply rooted ignorance and judgmentalism toward others put on display by her routinely via her blog. After all, among other things, the woman who was paid to publicly preach abstinence only does have one child out of wedlock by one man and now another child on the way out of wedlock by a different man. Further, she has refused to publicly name who the father of this second child is, leading to speculation that it is not the man she was briefly engaged to at the time. Could it be that the wedding was abruptly called off because he found out she was sleeping with and pregnant by someone else? Hmm...

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 15

Ugh, she has refused to name the dad because she will "announce" when it is a calculated move to promote her and keep her name in the news. She will probably sell the story to some news organization. What does she do for work? What is her source of income?

• Love 1

Ugh, she has refused to name the dad because she will "announce" when it is a calculated move to promote her and keep her name in the news. She will probably sell the story to some news organization. What does she do for work? What is her source of income?

Well, aside from the not insignificant chunk of cash she got for promotional stuff and DWTS and the reality shows etc, she claims she still works as a receptionist at the doctors office that she's worked at off and on since she was a teenager. Apparently, she recently blogged about an alleged encounter with a patient at said doctors office who didn't recognize her and proceeded to say very uncomplementary things about "Bristol Palin" not realizing that she was speaking to the real deal. Oops.

• Love 2

FYI Whoopi is tweeting tonight for her daughters reality show.

Oh Whoopi has a Twitter account now?  hahahaha, don't tweet me Whoopi, I don't care.

ETA:  I guess I didn't need to worry after all.  Someone tweeted her that the West Coast viewing was just starting: "Let's get this party started" and Whoopi replied, "I'm going to bed y'all.  Thanks for watching."   I just gave her feed a quick glance but it looked like half the tweets were from her family members, lol. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Oh Whoopi has a Twitter account now?  hahahaha, don't tweet me Whoopi, I don't care.

ETA:  I guess I didn't need to worry after all.  Someone tweeted her that the West Coast viewing was just starting: "Let's get this party started" and Whoopi replied, "I'm going to bed y'all.  Thanks for watching."   

She couldn't stay up for one stinking hour to rally the west coast to watch her daughter's dumb show, not even when someone expressed some interest?  

Sheesh.

Nice to see Whoopi is just as dedicated to making a success of that show as she is The View.  Which is not at all. 

• Love 3

I just read through Whoopi's tweets from last night.  It sounds like the exclamations of some old lady forcing a disinterested person to flip through her family album while she "oooohs" and "awwwws" over the little kids in the pictures.

I can't imagine what the actual show must have been like.  And I have no plans to find out.  My Sunday nights belong to Sister Wives! 

• Love 3

Geeze, Whoopie is so full of herself. She's on Wendy Williams now, promoting her daughter's show (and her nail polish line) and Wendy said that in her opinion, reality shows usually end up not good for the participants. Whoopie said it won't be that way for her daughter because SHE'S doing it. Really? So everything she's involved in is all roses and champagne? I said this before and I'll say it again, who gives a rat's ass about Whoopie Goldberg's daughter, and some nobody friend?

• Love 7

Geeze, Whoopie is so full of herself. She's on Wendy Williams now, promoting her daughter's show (and her nail polish line) and Wendy said that in her opinion, reality shows usually end up not good for the participants. Whoopie said it won't be that way for her daughter because SHE'S doing it. Really? So everything she's involved in is all roses and champagne? I said this before and I'll say it again, who gives a rat's ass about Whoopie Goldberg's daughter, and some nobody friend?

Exactly.   And it seems people are caring less and less about what  Whoopi herself has to say.   I just posted this in the media thread but maybe it belongs here; I found it in The Washington Post/style blog.  It basically says the same thing many of us have been saying for years now.    It also validates those of us that used to either be fans or think she was cool before showing us herself on a daily basis via this show.  

What Happened to Whoopi Goldberg

From the story:

It would appear that Goldberg has torched her reputation to the point that when she says something that could be construed as controversial, it simply gets rounded up to Yet Another Crazy Thing that sprung from the mouth of Whoopi Goldberg. Indeed, that characterized the resulting media fracas surrounding the Davis statement.

Before Goldberg joined “The View” to replace Rosie O’Donnell as moderator, she enjoyed a decade as one of the funniest, most popular figures in American entertainment.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 10
Maybe not "big", but she is working steadily.  In addition to her L&O, Whoopi has a new movie coming out next week with Ashley Judd and Jenna Elfman:

Here's a bit from a snarky review.  The author didn’t just pen the adaptation of Big Stone Gap, the first in a series of hit novels she wrote about her hometown in Virginia. She also directed the film, and shot it entirely on location in the real Big Stone Gap. The result is at once labor of love and cautionary tale: Apparently too close to the story to recognize how ill suited she was to translating its charms to the screen, Trigiani has emerged with nothing but corny, stilted Americana, like something Garrison Keillor might burp out on a really off day.

• Love 2

I never read the comments on sites like TMZ. It destroys what little faith I have left in humanity.

It's not even just TMZ. Every news stories comment section are beyond disgusting. I avoid most, if not all.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 4