Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Whoopi has taken to her facebook to assert that recent articles which suggest she endorses cheating in her new book are taking things she wrote out of context.

I can't quote or post links on this stupid kindle fire ... I will put some here tomorrow. For now just google "Whoopi Goldberg book promote cheating" to read all about it

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 2

Whoopi has taken to her facebook to assert that recent articles which suggest she endorses cheating in her new book are taking things she wrote out of context.

I can't quote or post links on this stupid kindle fire ... I will put some here tomorrow. For now just google "Whoopi Goldberg book promote cheating" to read all about it

Here, I'll save you some time.  Two articles:

http://nypost.com/2015/10/13/when-it-comes-to-cheating-whoopi-says-go-for-it/

http://en.yibada.com/articles/73888/20151013/whoopi-goldberg-gives-thumbs-up-to-marital-cheating-in-new-book.htm

• Love 2

Luckily, I don't think anyone is going to seriously take relationship advice from this woman; and people that cheat don't need her to justify it.

I do feel bad for Jean-Paul-Belmondo, whom I presume is an ancient  French actor/race car driver? since this quote implies he was one of Whoopi's 'booty calls'.   Ugh.  

On casual sex: “There’s nothing wrong with a booty call, because sometimes you just want to hit it and run. Especially if it’s Jean-Paul Belmondo.”

So I guess this is the passage that everyone is quoting which Whoopi says is taken out of context:

“Sometimes in a relationship, people can’t always get what they need, and if you have reputable people you can turn to in order to get what you need, I say go for it. It is a whole lot better than being frustrated and angry at the person you love.”

I have no idea what the surrounding language says, and I ain't buying a copy of her book to find out (I wouldn't pick her book up off the floor if I saw it lying there and could have it for free, actually).  But I can see how someone might take this particular passage as condoning cheating.  And I don't see Whoop anywhere explaining what she was referring to, if she wasn't talking about gettin' some on the side.  

Maybe she meant you should find someone else to ... take ballroom dancing lessons with?  I dunno.  

Maybe people would not be so quick to leap to certain assumptions if Whoopi had expressed her thought a little more precisely.  Or if she had not openly admitted  she cheated during her own three marriages, or defended other cheaters like Jesse James (Sandra Bullock's ex).  Because one's life and reputation create context, too.  And when your writing is vague, don't be surprised if readers take such things into consideration when trying to figure out what you mean. 

• Love 7

On casual sex: “There’s nothing wrong with a booty call, because sometimes you just want to hit it and run. Especially if it’s Jean-Paul Belmondo.”

I don't think Whoopi is naming him as someone she DID sleep with, I interpret as her naming a good-looking man she WANTED to sleep with.

But, as Celia says above, whoopi says things in a way that needs interpretation.

• Love 5

I don't think Whoopi is naming him as someone she DID sleep with, I interpret as her naming a good-looking man she WANTED to sleep with.

But, as Celia says above, whoopi says things in a way that needs interpretation.

Agreed ... I'm thinking that she's talking about "hit'n it" with someone that will keep their mouth shut.

• Love 2

I saw Whoopi and her daughter on The Chew. She is really trying to make the show happen. The problem I see is, who cares about Whoopi's daughter? The daughter could barely explain her show. WG jumped in to explain it. I still didn't care or even understand, but thought, geez if Whoopi is better at explaining, you have a problem.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 8

I saw Whoopi and her daughter on The Chew. She is really trying to make the show happen. The problem I see is, who cares about Whoopi's daughter? The daughter could barely explain the her show. WG jumped in to explain it. I still didn't care or even understand, but thought geez if Whoopi is better at explaining, you have a problem.

I didn't even bother to see if I get the station the show is airing on. And for some reason I do enjoy some "reality" shows. Blech.

I saw when Whoopi and her daughter were greeted by the hosts of The Chew today. Whoopi sure does give some big hugs when it's to her benefit.

• Love 2

I saw Whoopi and her daughter on The Chew. She is really trying to make the show happen. The problem I see is, who cares about Whoopi's daughter? The daughter could barely explain her show. WG jumped in to explain it. I still didn't care or even understand, but thought, geez if Whoopi is better at explaining, you have a problem.

I didn't see this, but that's how this promotional tour for Alex's show has been - Whoopi explains it while Alex [if she's even there, some shows like Jimmy Fallon it was just Whoopi] sits there grinning.   I'm guessing this unknown channel doesn't have a big promotion budget either so what a lucky coincidence (LOL) that Whoopi is able to be out selling her book at the same time.  

Sorry Whoopi, but if Alex was going to make it in show business she probably would have by now.  I think you're stuck supporting her the rest of her life. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

I watched the Chew today with whoopi and her daughter. Whoopi first has to talk about the report that bacon and sausage are bad for you. She jokes that she must be dead, because she's been eating bacon all her life.

Then Mario Batali tries to show her how to make a some steak and potatoes me, whoop acts like she's afraid of cooking. Alex doesn't seem at all interesting.

Whoopi explains her book about relationships by pretty much saying she isn't good at relationships and has decided she doesn't need one.

What I heard about Alex's show is that she and a friend, ands their husbands raise their children and are loud, but not loud and angry like black women on other reality shows. That's it.

• Love 4
When Colbert mentioned that co-hosts had a kerfluffle with Fiorina in the press,  Whoopi again disagreed and told him that "they are comics on the show, not newscasters"   and used the old "comics can say anything" argument she loves.  Then she added that, "everybody HAS TO KNOW, especially if you're in politics, we're coming for you."

Why is it okay for Whoopi as a comic to "come for" politicians (or anyone else she feels like), but people online are all stupid cowards hiding behind keyboards with nothing but hate in their hearts if they ever "come for" her?  If I try to be funny while I call her a self-important, ignorant blowhard does that make it okay?  Is that the difference?  

Then she went on to pimp her book and her daughter's show.  ... 

On her daughter's show, she said Alex and her friend are like "Lucy and Ethel" to her.

THAT is some comedic blasphemy right there. How dare she compare her boring and unfunny daughter (and her even more boring and unfunny friend) to "Lucy and Ethel." Such nerve.

• Love 9

Sounds like Stephen must have some inside info when he asked if the families were paid for their input. That's outrageous. Whoopi is a grifter. 

No inside info - that was all Whoopi.   He actually asked her who out of the Republican presidential candidates did the best on the show.  Her answer was that they all did well BECAUSE the co-hosts asked questions "people want to know" ; and by "people" I guess she meant her family because she said that the co-hosts ask their families what they want to know and then the co-hosts ask the candidates.   Colbert asked if their families get paid for this work they do for you and Whoop's reply was 'Hell yeah! Better to pay them than someone else." 

Uh, isn't that a producer's job?  That explains alot of the blue cards, LOL.  

ETA:  I'm not sure about being a grifter but I've long thought she was greedy.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

I tried to watch Colbert using that link back on the weekly thread but it just goes round and round with ads for me.  It never got to the show.  So I have to ask ..

Colbert asking Whoopi if her family got paid for coming up with questions for the presidential candidates was a joke, right? And Whoopi was joking when she said they did get paid, wasn't she?  I mean, I guess I could see asking a good question if a family member came up with one (once in a while, and only if it was a very good question), but paying them seems pretty ridiculous.

But since I can believe virtually anything said when it comes to how badly this show is run, I have to ask. Was it all a joke or did she really mean it? 

• Love 2

Colbert asking Whoopi if her family got paid for coming up with questions for the presidential candidates was a joke, right? And Whoopi was joking when she said they did get paid, wasn't she?  I mean, I guess I could see asking a good question if a family member came up with one (once in a while, and only if it was a very good question), but paying them seems pretty ridiculous.

But since I can believe virtually anything said when it comes to how badly this show is run, I have to ask. Was it all a joke or did she really mean it? 

From what I saw, she was as serious as a heart attack!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 4

I tried to watch Colbert using that link back on the weekly thread but it just goes round and round with ads for me.  It never got to the show.  So I have to ask ..

I'm sure Colbert was joking about being paid and I'm sure the audience thought Whoopi was joking.   But my dislike for Whoopi has tinted my perception of what she thinks is a joke and I know she's all about the dollar so I didn't think she was joking.   In fact, I don't think she told a single joke the entire interview despite Stephen setting up some good opportunities for one.  

She sure wasn't joking about  believing The View asked the candidates what "people want to know" because they ask their families what they want to know.  I guess she forget The Spew is trying to pretend to use social media for shit like that.  

I'm sorry you had trouble with the link.  I'd love to know what my fellow posters think.  I'll try to post it again (it worked for me when I checked it)

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/3l5cPvtaFsHiMT_iA1NS4u8VaLwStOYv/the-late-show-11-6-2015-whoopi-goldberg-governor-john-kasich-glen-hansard-/

ETA:  This link took me right to the Whoopi interview - about a minute into it - easy to rewind.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I'm sure Colbert was joking about being paid and I'm sure the audience thought Whoopi was joking.   But my dislike for Whoopi has tinted my perception of what she thinks is a joke and I know she's all about the dollar so I didn't think she was joking.   In fact, I don't think she told a single joke the entire interview despite Stephen setting up some good opportunities for one.  

She sure wasn't joking about  believing The View asked the candidates what "people want to know" because they ask their families what they want to know.  I guess she forget The Spew is trying to pretend to use social media for shit like that.  

I'm sorry you had trouble with the link.  I'd love to know what my fellow posters think.  I'll try to post it again (it worked for me when I checked it)

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/3l5cPvtaFsHiMT_iA1NS4u8VaLwStOYv/the-late-show-11-6-2015-whoopi-goldberg-governor-john-kasich-glen-hansard-/

ETA:  This link took me right to the Whoopi interview - about a minute into it - easy to rewind.  

The link didn't work for me because I'm out of the "geographic area" ..... LOL.  But, before it didn't work, it loaded fine.  Just sayin'.

• Love 1

Sounds like Stephen must have some inside info when he asked if the families were paid for their input. That's outrageous. Whoopi is a grifter. 

It sounds that way to me too. Whoopi will do and say anything for the almighty buck along with her daughter and the rest. I remember Whoopi ridiculed people who had reality shows now her daughter and best friend have one. It is on a no name network and I wonder what kind of ratings it is getting. Anyone know?

Whoopi and her dumb ass book on relationships is a joke. She doesn't want a relationship because she is too damn selfish and entitled to get along with anybody.

• Love 3

When the most interesting thing about a person is  your mother's name it's kind of a stretch to think you could sell a reality show featuring yourself.  I've seen Alex on probably every The View appearance - usually as a co-host and at least once for an entire week.  She never did or said anything that made me want to know more about her at all. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 9

If my information is correct, According to Alex premiered to about 132,000 viewers. By the next week it had crashed to about 92,000. Now, I don't know if those numbers are considered "good" on a tiny network like Centric, but it sure doesn't sound good.

Thanks. It doesn't sound good to me either especially how far it crashed on the second show. 

• Love 3

Whoopie's hair.  

The dreads were creating bald spots, damaging the follicle so new hair would not grow, that has been clear for a long time now.

She shaved her head around the bottom extending up to a broad swath on the top of her head.  There they cut off the dreads leaving enough hair behind to grab a hair piece to hold the fake dreads she now wears. When she moves around you can see that all the dreads are from the top only.  So her hair is much like Raven's or Kelly O's only with dreads on top. 

I wonder where she will go from here. Dreadlocks have been her signature hair do from day one.  I doubt she will abandon them.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Bolding mine

Whoopie's hair.  

The dreads were creating bald spots, damaging the follicle so new hair would not grow, that has been clear for a long time now.

She shaved her head around the bottom extending up to a broad swath on the top of her head.  There they cut off the dreads leaving enough hair behind to grab a hair piece to hold the fake dreads she now wears. When she moves around you can see that all the dreads are from the top only.  So her hair is much like Raven's or Kelly O's only with dreads on top. 

I wonder where she will go from here. Dreadlocks have been her signature hair do from day one.  I doubt she will abandon them.

Or Sideshow Bob's
  • Love 4

I think the dreads are a prime example of The Whoopster's vanity & stupidity.  Who, in their right mind, would keep a hairstyle that is gradually pulling their hair out.  Her ego is so fragile that she probably thinks no one would recognize her without the dreads,  She feels the dreads are her trademark/identity & needs them to feel validated (& not so old).

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 5

I used to think it was Bitsy who suffered from Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  WG fits the description better:

If you have narcissistic personality disorder, you may come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious. You often monopolize conversations. You may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior. You may feel a sense of entitlement — and when you don't receive special treatment, you may become impatient or angry. You may insist on having "the best" of everything — for instance, the best car, athletic club or medical care.

At the same time, you have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation. To feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make yourself appear superior. Or you may feel depressed and moody because you fall short of perfection [emphasis added]

As a side note, RO posted a comment that Whoopi's book should have been titled "I DON'T CARE." 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 5

I used to think it was Bitsy who suffered from Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  WG fits the description better:

No reason it can't be both.  Also, I'm not sure "suffer" is the right word unless you are referring to the people around them.  

A couple years ago I found Dr. Drew's book on Celebrity Narcissism on the bargain rack.  His  theory is that that "stars"  are predisposed to narcissistic personality disorder long before they become famous.  Always consider the source however.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

She looks ridiculous with that shirt dress or whatever the hell she has on. Today on the show she had the most juvenile ugly ass shoes. Miss Whoopi at age 60 is getting more pathetic as she grows older and less wiser.

• Love 4

World AIDS Day lighting ceremony at the Empire State building - Whoopi and George Takei.

https://instagram.com/p/-uBv-FBvFi/

She looks ridiculous with that shirt dress or whatever the hell she has on.

Throwing a silk scarf over a sweatshirt blanket doesn't make it any less a sweatshirt blanket. Takei (and everyone else in the background) are clearly dressed up.  Is that the same thing she wore on Monday's show or does she keep a spare snuggie at the office? 

• Love 4

The other day one of Oprah's Master Class programs ("masters" in their field talk about their life stories and lessons)  came on featuring my least favorite talk show host: Whoopi Goldberg.  I left it and while she didn't say anything new  I did have a few take-aways:  

• Whoopi refers to herself as a Movie Star.
  •  
  • She says she initially started wearing dreds because she's "fundamentally lazy" and didn't want to comb her hair.  She avoids "glamour" because it's too much work.  She started wearing sneakers because high heels are uncomfortable.   
  •  
  • She said people think she's deep but in reality she's not.  She's "this deep" [uses fingers to demonstrate about an inch] 
  •  
  • She's ALWAYS had a tremendous amount of confidence that she could do anything.  "That's never been in question."   
  •  
  • But most of all, Whoopi uses a completely different voice than she does on The Spew.  It's the same voice I've heard her use in interviews.  It's softer and almost pleasant.  

I think Whoopi is gaslighting me, because if I never saw her on The Spew I would think she was a pleasure to be around.  Heh.  When she has the spotlight, as she did for then entire program, she can tell a good story very well.   Boy, has that woman led a charmed life though.  A high school dropout from the projects to the life she's led for the past 30 years.  

ETA:  I almost forgot the best part.  Because I am so hard on Whoopi for her appearance on The View it stuck out to me.  She tells a story under the heading of "Do What You Think is Right."  In the story she is living in NYC and a good friend of hers lives on the floor above her.  The friend asks Whoopi if she wants to go see a movie that afternoon and Whoopi says yes.  But when the friend picks her up,. Whoopi is wearing overalls, sneakers and big fro - basically slobbed out, but clean.  She makes the point that she didn't stink, LOL.   The girlfriend tells Whoopi, "I'm not going to the movies with you in that; you need to change your clothes."  Whoopi is confused, "Why?  I'm clean" she says.   They go back and forth and Whoopi finally tells her friend that if she doesn't like what Whoopi's wearing she can go without her and so, the friend does indeed leave and go to the movie without her.   Whoopi mopes around the apartment and then calls her mother and tells her about it.  She asks her mom, "Was I wrong?  Should I have changed my clothes?"   The mother says, "Do you think you were wrong?"  Whoopi replies, "No, I don't."   So the mom says, "Well you should always do what you think is right."  

Seriously.   I believe that happened.  Explains so much. 

The only disingenuous thing I heard from Whoopi was how well she treats her fans, because they are the reason she has been able to survive this business all these years.   The date on the show was 2014 - so about the same time she was yelling at viewers not to tweet her because she doesn't care!  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Yep.....Whoopi could care less about her fans.....people will say they have been to paid for small events to meet her and she isolates herself.

She calls herself a Movie Stah - even O would say she is an occasional actress, imo.

Her clothes and hair are her branding....same as Raven's imo. I could care less if they wear jeans or other things several times or be casual on this show. Just pull off a put together look and stop with the body sounds and smells etc. And lecturing. This applies to W and R.

I think Michelle adds nothing but I am able to go with Joy, CCB, and PF. At least no "hornyness" from SS, or an irrational EH, or fluff from JM.

It will be interesting to see who shows up in early Jan....but I think the regulars will. Sigh.

Yep.....Whoopi could care less about her fans.....people will say they have been to paid for small events to meet her and she isolates herself.

She calls herself a Movie Stah - even O would say she is an occasional actress, imo.

Her clothes and hair are her branding....same as Raven's imo. I could care less if they wear jeans or other things several times or be casual on this show. Just pull off a put together look and stop with the body sounds and smells etc. And lecturing. This applies to W and R.

I think Michelle adds nothing but I am able to go with Joy, CCB, and PF. At least no "hornyness" from SS, or an irrational EH, or fluff from JM.

It will be interesting to see who shows up in early Jan....but I think the regulars will. Sigh.

• Love 2
I think Whoopi is gaslighting me, because if I never saw her on The Spew I would think she was a pleasure to be around.

Same here, CosmoCrush, when I saw her on "Watch What Happens Live."  She was using her kind and humble persona.

• Love 2

I was a big Oprah fan (& still am) & was wondering why The Whoopster wasn't invited to Oprah's 2008 Legends Ball.  There have been many discussions since, but I think Oprah didn't regard her as a "legitimate" player in the black community.  Just sayin'.

• Love 3

I was a big Oprah fan (& still am) & was wondering why The Whoopster wasn't invited to Oprah's 2008 Legends Ball.  There have been many discussions since, but I think Oprah didn't regard her as a "legitimate" player in the black community.  Just sayin'.

Oprah worked with her on The Color Purple back in the day and I'm willing to bet at some point she saw the side of Whoopi we see on The View. I doubt she wanted to take the chance of inviting Whoopi not knowing what version of her was going to show up. 

• Love 7

I wondered about that too--Whoops not getting invited to the Legends event.  When I saw it (or something like it) Oprah had a big party and everyone wore white? Or there was a garden party and the ladies all dressed up beautifully in summer colors.  Not sure, but both events were awesomely beautiful.  I figured Whoops just was not classy enough, or seriously pissed off Oprah somehow, somewhere.  

Now that we have seen Whoops act so low class/rude/ignorant/just plain bad on the View, would you invite her anywhere?  

There's no way.  Whoops may be proud of being "different", but different does not have to mean gross/yucky/disgusting....take your pick.  Imagine her farting at any event (with others, filmed or not) aside from at the ViewZoo.   Would it get a laugh?  Just low class, movie star or not. 

Oh yeah, Whoops does the humble act(ing) very well ONLY around other celebrities. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 4

I wondered about that too--Whoops not getting invited to the Legends event.  When I saw it (or something like it) Oprah had a big party and everyone wore white? Or there was a garden party and the ladies all dressed up beautifully in summer colors.  Not sure, but both events were awesomely beautiful.  I figured Whoops just was not classy enough, or seriously pissed off Oprah somehow, somewhere.  

Now that we have seen Whoops act so low class/rude/ignorant/just plain bad on the View, would you invite her anywhere?  

There's no way.  Whoops may be proud of being "different", but different does not have to mean gross/yucky/disgusting....take your pick.  Imagine her farting at any event (with others, filmed or not) aside from at the ViewZoo.   Would it get a laugh?  Just low class, movie star or not. 

Oh yeah, Whoops does the humble act(ing) very well ONLY around other celebrities. 

You can be featured on Oprah's Master Class and never come into contact with Oprah, just sayin'.  

Since it's coming up on the 30th Anniversary of The Color Purple,  OWN has been broadcasting her 2010 show celebrating the 25th anniversary.  Whoopi is included.   Whoopi tells the producers/us that she wondered what she did to Oprah to piss her off and Oprah feigns ignorance and says she doesn't know why they haven't spoken in X number of years.  They decide they each thought the other was mad at them or some such revisionist baloney.  In truth, I bet Oprah's excellent team decided they couldn't celebrate TCP without Whoopi and forgave/forgot bygones for the show.   After all, it's not like Oprah is going to be buddies with Whoopi or anything. 

• Love 3

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2015/12/view-disses-breastfeeding-heres-stop.html?xid=ob_

This article was linked at the bottom of this forum, in the ad space. It echoes what a few of us had been saying about the view and their negative spin on breastfeeding. In particular, it focused on whoop saying that if babies have teeth, they're too old to breastfeed. The author brings up the concern that this shames women who choose to breastfeed.

I put it in whoopi' s thread because of the quote, "oh whoopi, please stick to acting and leave the medical advice to professionals."

• Love 5

Good grief.....I thought WG said her daughter was born with a tooth

I think I remember that too maggiemae.

I don't think the doctor who wrote this watches The View that regularly, because the line I bolded is what this show is all about - its standard operating procedure on The Spew:  

Listen, if you don’t want to breastfeed, then don’t. If you don’t want to see a woman nursing in public, then don’t look. But don’t take advantage of a huge public platform and dispense ridiculous opinions that shame women for using their breasts exactly the way nature intended.

• Love 8