Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

does anyone else think that Miss Whoopi's increasingly elongated and almost belligerant bellowing of "welcome to the view,y'all X10..." might be one of her strategies to get her ass fired?

YES!  

does anyone else think that Miss Whoopi's increasingly elongated and almost belligerant bellowing of "welcome to the view,y'all X10..." might be one of her strategies to get her ass fired?

YES!  

• Love 1

NO.  As Whoopi explained early on, she says it first to the TV and main audience, and then repeats it to the people sitting off to the side so they don't feel left out.  As someone who has sat in an audience off to the side, it's easy to feel everything is directed outward and the side is neglected.  She's just being inclusive, and has been doing this from the beginning.  It's not an "early release" strategy.

Let's not look for snakes under every rock.

Edited by Tunia

I see it as another one of those little tug-of-wars that have piled up for her. Someone probably asked if she would please not do that and in response she decided to repeat it 10x every morning to show she's in charge. Just like the "Whatever View you happen upon" nonsense; it just feels like a little way for her to give TPTB the middle finger daily.

• Love 4

NO.  As Whoopi explained early on, she says it first to the TV and main audience, and then repeats it to the people sitting off to the side so they don't feel left out.  As someone who has sat in an audience off to the side, it's easy to feel everything is directed outward and the side is neglected.  She's just being inclusive, and has been doing this from the beginning.  It's not an "early release" strategy.

Let's not look for snakes under every rock.

there was a time when Whoopi said 'Welcome to the view y'all,"  then turned to that one section of the audience and said "welcome to the view!" she did this forever, there was certain rhythm to it.

Then, recently,  she started saying it three times, then on occasion she would drag it out even more.  It no longer seems natural, it seems like she's making a point of saying it as many times as she pleases.   

• Love 4

Did anyone else think Whoopi was nitpicking unnecessarily twice today when 1) Joy mentioned the controversy surrounding JFK's death ---- and Whoopi argued that it wasn't about his death....it was who shot him? Of course, we know what Joy meant. Ridiculous.

2) Then Whoopi corrected Michelle when she was talking to Jennifer Jason Leigh about Kurt Russell's violence--- and Whoopi hurried to specify that it wd Kurt's character in Hateful 8 that was violent, not Kurt himself. No, duh? Really Whoopi? How many Red Bull's did youy have this a.m.?

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 7

Thanks NextIteration.  This link didn't work for me, but I got enough of the address to try this instead, which I think is the same article.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/06/the-power-of-black-twitter.html

Yes, sometimes hyperbole is necessary. In the past three years, Twitter has become a necessary platform for dissent, discussion, breaking news and, yes, trends. And in the case of what has become colloquially known as “Black Twitter,” all of those things have gelled to create an online culture of black intellectuals, trendsetters, and talking heads giving voice to many of the issues that 20 years ago would’ve remained far away from the mainstream radar...

...So is Black Twitter real? Very much so. But it’s interesting to see how the mainstream and “traditional” media spaces have responded to this relatively new, quite active and dynamic voice.

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.

Did anyone else think Whoopi was nitpicking unnecessarily twice today when 1) Joy mentioned the controversy surrounding JFK's death ---- and Whoopi argued that it wasn't about his death....it was who shot him? Of course, we know what Joy meant. Ridiculous.

2) Then Whoopi corrected Michelle when she was talking to Jennifer Jason Leigh about Kurt Russell's violence--- and Whoopi hurried to specify that it wd Kurt's character in Hateful 8 that was violent, not Kurt himself. No, duh? Really Whoopi? How many Red Bull's did youy have this a.m.?

Thank god for the cold medicine that caused me to sleep through the crap you just described.  Nothing pisses me off more than someone who doesn't get what you are saying and actually corrects you based on their idiotic misinterpretation of what you said.   

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 2

The Daily Mail has a very interesting article "Whoopi Goldberg is secretly embroiled in a power play with Joy Behar" 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3449374/I-m-outta-b-h-August-Whoopi-Goldberg-secretly-embroiled-power-play-Joy-Behar-given-million-dollar-raise-2-5m-calling-dibs-moderator-s-seat.html

Please I hope this is true. I can't wait for Whoopi to be gone! 

Edited by ilovethe90s
  • Love 6

Yes, it makes sense. I knew it was more than not having weed :)

If Whoopi's contract is up, she has no power and it must gall her to no end. She can't hide how pissed she is to lose that power. Her dictatorship is over. What I don't get is why offer her 2 million to stay? She sucks at The View. Maybe it's some unseen stah power that she still has over the brass. But seriously, you are almost rid of her and her reign of BS. Don't encourage her to stay, ffs!

Edited by whydoiwatchtv
  • Love 7

IF this article has any facts in in (and the DM rarely does)  I have no doubt Whoopi will take the $2M even if it's $3 million less than she's been getting because Miss Whoopi has proved over and over again she is all about the money,

Oh that will show 'em Whoop.  Puh-lease.   Four hours a week, about 35-40 weeks a year for $2 million.  She'll be there.  And she'll be even worse than she is now.  I'd do it for a quarter of that amount, lol.   

On the other hand, this article sounds fake; we all know Whoopi doesn't "prep" for this show and honestly I think Joy's "prep" is probably limited to hair and makeup because all too often none of these women seem to know much about the topics.   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

*Wow, a pay cut (of three million dollars!!!) is humiliating.  It makes sense for Miss Whoopi to try to bargain down the number of days she would appear so it would not be as obvious that she was forced to take such a huge pay cut.  She has to save face somehow, I guess. 

I hope they don't go for it ... the last thing anyone needs is Whoops just showing up on random days of the week to spoil things with her poison energy.  She should just GO entirely.  But I could see her actually sticking around for spite, because she is just that arrogant and nasty.  But she is prideful, too, and how embarrassing would it be to hang around after having been busted down in status, lol.  

I just hope she leaves, for all five days a week.  All 12 months a year ... gone. 

*assuming there is some truth to all this

• Love 8

*Wow, a pay cut (of three million dollars!!!) is humiliating.  It makes sense for Miss Whoopi to try to bargain down the number of days she would appear so it would not be as obvious that she was forced to take such a huge pay cut.  She has to save face somehow, I guess. 

I hope they don't go for it ... the last thing anyone needs is Whoops just showing up on random days of the week to spoil things with her poison energy.  She should just GO entirely.  But I could see her actually sticking around for spite, because she is just that arrogant and nasty.  But she is prideful, too, and how embarrassing would it be to hang around after having been busted down in status, lol.  

I just hope she leaves, for all five days a week.  All 12 months a year ... gone. 

*assuming there is some truth to all this

In some ways, Barbara's name could have been inserted, once upon a time.

• Love 4

hahaha!

Let's just hope the price we have to pay to be rid of her is not enduring "The Year of Whoopi" like we had to go through to get rid of Barbara!

No kiddding Celia!  But actually I think last season was The Year of Whoopi or at least The Whoopi Goldberg Show featuring Whoopi and the Whoopettes.   At least after RO left.   Ever single guest that was connected to Whoopi by the slimmest of threads we had to hear and sometimes see the connection ala Babs and her 1990s specials.   Also, every guest had to bow down to Miss Whoopi.  And how many segments did we have to watch with just Whoopi and the guest?  Enough that it seemed like it was becoming a thing.  

• Love 5

My bold.  Sorry, but I don't think you should get your hopes up.  Paula hasn't got the guts to take on Miss Whoopi .... for that matter, none of them do, even Joy!

I think she's just too smart to get into a Rosie/Elizabeth-type fight. Who wants to be shown acting that way on video forever? 

• Love 3

I think she's just too smart to get into a Rosie/Elizabeth-type fight. Who wants to be shown acting that way on video forever? 

You mean besides Elisabeth?  Because  I think she loves it and probably still watches it on a loop while eating wheat crackers in a back closet LOL.   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Wow hardly recognized Miss Whoopi on the red carpet in DRESS no less, no glasses and dreads pulled up.  She looks huge in the dress and of course her daughter gets a freebie.

I just came to say the same thing Foghorn!  

I hate that designers are always putting women over a size six in solid black,  but overall I thought she looked good - hair, makeup, and jewelry.  The dress wasn't flattering but she sets the bar so low, this seemed fine.     Certainly better than she has in years anyway. Interesting she wouldn't show her shoes because she said she wasn't wearing the shoes the designers wanted her to wear.  I loved when Alex climbed up and stuck her face on camera Ryan didn't even acknowledge her before cutting to commercial - she didn't get to say a word.    Hahaha!

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

http://www.someecards.com/entertainment/celebrities/oprah-whoopi-goldberg/

screen-shot-2016-02-28-at-7-b9rRoE.png

The first Oscar blunder of the night happened before the award show even began. The website Total Beauty totally screwed up their red carpet coverage by Tweeting out a picture of Whoopi Goldberg and saying it was Oprah. Never mind the fact that Oprah doesn't have tats or dreads or is a completely different person. Get it together Total Beauty! Oprah's not even at the Oscars, she's at home eating bread

• Love 14

LOL - Total Beauty confused Miss Whoopi for Oprah.

BTW - WG is rearing a bra.

LOL.   Geeze, poor Oprah.  

Wait, what, Whoopi  is wearing a bra!   It's a miracle.  

I was really impressed with the tarantula/bracelet .... NOT!

Yes, her daughter manager to insert herself in two other interviews ... tacky broad!!!

I didn't really see the bracelet up close but a tarantula?  Weird. 

Damn, what's the deal with her anyway?   Get a real job Alex so your mother can retire and get off my TV.  

• Love 4

Man, I was expecting that she'd pull this off, but NO, she flubbed her damn lines.  Nice going EGOT!!!

Hahaha!  I said the same exact thing to Mr. C.  I said, "After nine years moderating The View, let's see if she can read this teleprompter."  and sure as hell, she effed it up.  Shocker.  

• Love 6

Could it possibly be that Whoppi's been right all along, at least re her wardrobe choices?  I never realized in all my VIEWing that she's a neckless wonder with multiple chins - guess her crisp white shirts have wrought untold miracles (& me all critiquey-like of her bag lady "fashions.")   Gotta cut her some slack tonight, though - she's (at least) 60, made a huge effort, & probably would have looked great (for her) if the dress had a narrower neckline or had even been strapless (gulp.)

• Love 4

Hahaha!  I said the same exact thing to Mr. C.  I said, "After nine years moderating The View, let's see if she can read this teleprompter."  and sure as hell, she effed it up.  Shocker.  

I give her a pass, she has dyslexia.  Which is why it makes zero sense having a day job reading a teleprompter.  That said, you'd think they could have given her lines to memorize days ago.  Clearly she can manage that or she would never have gotten acting gigs.

• Love 3

When I got a glimpse of her from far away behind Seacrest yesterday, I made the same mistake actually for a hot second.

I have to agree I did a double take at first and thought wow Oprah looks really rough!  What happened?!?  LOL  With no makeup and a similar hair style they could pass as sisters.  

• Love 1

Whoopi said today that she doesn't care that she was called Oprah.  The person who did it offered to make a $5000 donation to a charity in her name, and she said they didn't need to do that.

Oh ya, look at The Whoopster being all benevolent .... guess she doesn't need the tax write-off.

• Love 3

Maybe that tweet was planned to get Whoopi all this attention. It does smack of attention whoring and her overly gracious attitude about it seemed odd. Just sayin'

Nah, she's just in a rare good mood being back among the Hollywood elite and loving, LOVING all the attention she believes she deserves.   Plus, it's a big  compliment for Whoopi to be mistaken for Oprah.  Now, for Oprah, not so much LOL.     I'm sure it was some 22 year old at the beauty website who sent that Tweet in the first place and it was a class move  on the site's part to retract, apologize and try to make it right immediately.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Plus, it's a big  compliment for Whoopi to be mistaken for Oprah.  Now, for Oprah, not so much LOL.  

Who knows, it could be a good thing in the long run. Maybe being compared to Whoopi will be what finally inspires Oprah to get the weight off again?

• Love 3