Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, backformore said:

My republican father HATES Joy, Whoopi, almost as much as he HATES Rachel Maddow. 

Rachel is so even tempered and harmless. She is not as emotional as Whoopi or Joy...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, backformore said:

My republican father HATES Joy, Whoopi, almost as much as he HATES Rachel Maddow. 

Conservatives on social media are calling for Joy's head after her comments about Christians and the Mike Pence thing. Someone was trying to start a petition to either get Joy fired or cancel the show altogether. She launched "an attack on evangelicals," they say. 

• Love 5

None of the recent posts in this thread have anything to do with Whoopi Goldberg so they have been removed.  The purpose of this thread is not to speculate that other users are bots or trolls or anything.  If a user is bothering you, feel free to put them on ignore.

If it continues, the thread will be locked.

Considering the contempt that Whoopi has for social media, I'm surprised she bothered to respond to that one person up thread. She's constantly telling and berating the audience and viewers that she "doesn't CARE!" And then yesterday, told Jemele to ignore those that come after her. Yet...here she is, not ignoring one of her detractors.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Considering the contempt that Whoopi has for social media, I'm surprised she bothered to respond to that one person up thread. She's constantly telling and berating the audience and viewers that she "doesn't CARE!" And then yesterday, told Jemele to ignore those that come after her. Yet...here she is, not ignoring one of her detractors.

I agree with you but I did get a kick out of Whoopi's response.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

Omggggg Sara interviewed Whoopi (dressed up) on the red carpet for the Oscars... pics coming soon but Whoopi dressed up?! Sara is back and saying she misses Whoopi!? ??????

___N4Bzpyx.jpg.37b1ac46304267133b105af555f56896.jpg

• Love 4

I didn't realize until this morning that Whoopi's date was her daughter. I didn't watch all the red carpet stuff and only saw Sarah speak to Whoopi for a couple minutes before I had to go to the other room to do something. I didn't see her daughter during that short time. I see her in the background of the photo @ginger90 posted though.

_______9a0DZdc.jpg.25fafb18a75d63eb671c8a392ba8dbe5.jpg

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

That dress is so very wrong for Whoopi.  Why wouldn't she wear a very nice pantsuit?  I don't like her daughter's dress either.  

Whoopie looks ridiculous, I find the daughter ok. Better than mom.

Tats don’t work with formal attire.

• Love 3
(edited)

I would wear what Whoopi did with some alterations.  Make the sleeves cap sleeves starting from the shoulder, and if the volume was toned down by 500%.  I like the print.  I think if it were cut to tea-length and de-poofed, it would be a funky little number.  

Edited by roseslg
  • Love 2

I’m really torn on Whoopi’s Oscar look. On one hand, it doesn’t feel like it is “her” style but on the other hand, I don’t like implying someone can’t branch out tontry different styles. It was a nice color for her, but the skirt was a little too full I think.

8 minutes ago, deaja said:

I’m really torn on Whoopi’s Oscar look. On one hand, it doesn’t feel like it is “her” style but on the other hand, I don’t like implying someone can’t branch out tontry different styles. It was a nice color for her, but the skirt was a little too full I think.

She said the dress had so much tulle that if she sat down "everything" flipped up & people would see her who-ha!!!

(edited)
35 minutes ago, deaja said:

Yes, she had trouble controlling the skirt & the top seemed to be sliding off.

I didn’t recognize Sara (how soon we forget!).  Wish she’d come back.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think Siriano is a terrible designer. He's an amateur. (I hate even using the word designer to describe him).  I appreciate that he designs for all bodies, though.

Those colors are awful on WG. The pattern is too complicated for her hair and glasses -- too much going on (actually, I think her hair might have looked better down to balance the dress). The fit (or, lack thereof) of the top half is non-existent. Her shoulders are too round for those sleeves and neckline. 

I dont mind tats with gowns, but, not when the tats compete with the froufrou and/or patterns of the gown. For me, they have to coordinate or complement each other. It's no different than considering hair, makeup, skin color when choosing a gown.

Edited by AdeleDazeem

I wonder if Whoopi had input on the fabric. That dress would look really good on her, I think, in a solid jewel tone, like purple or burgundy. That print is too busy. It looks like the curtains in a cheap hotel.

• Love 6

There's a new show starring Alan Cummings, called Instinct.  I like it a lot, but I find Cummings fascinating no matter what he's in. 

Anyway - Whoopi has a recurring role, as his book editor or publisher.  She's OK.  Her part so far consists of sitting behind a desk and reciting a few lines. 

So the second episode, Whoopi seems to be wearing that same (or similar) blue/grey scarf with the stars - the one she has worn 100 times on The View. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, backformore said:

There's a new show starring Alan Cummings, called Instinct.  I like it a lot, but I find Cummings fascinating no matter what he's in. 

Anyway - Whoopi has a recurring role, as his book editor or publisher.  She's OK.  Her part so far consists of sitting behind a desk and reciting a few lines. 

So the second episode, Whoopi seems to be wearing that same (or similar) blue/grey scarf with the stars - the one she has worn 100 times on The View. 

HAHA! @backformore.  We watch it, and I did not notice the scarf!  I wish I had paid more attention.

We watched the first episode of Instinct and I was surprised to see Whoopi behind that desk. She has lines written for her, so I guess she can't get into one of her senseless rants.  We do enjoy Alan Cumming.  Will look for the scarf in the next one we watch.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Well, damn.  Whoopi told Jimmy Fallon this week that she had planned to retire after this season of The View but her daughter convinced her to stay another year.

Ya right!!  We all know The Whoopster isn't going to walk away from a guaranteed pay check (for shooting off her mostly ignorant mouth)!!!

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Ya right!!  We all know The Whoopster isn't going to walk away from a guaranteed pay check (for shooting off her mostly ignorant mouth)!!!

Exactly! I remember, years ago, Whoopie was speaking to reporters outside the ABC studios, while she was smoking. She got irritated that TMZ was questioning her about the view.  She went on a tirade that was filled with profanities, and I remember Whoopie saying, that, it is an easy gig, it is just a paycheck to her and all she has to do is show up and look cute...lol

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Exactly! I remember, years ago, Whoopie was speaking to reporters outside the ABC studios, while she was smoking. She got irritated that TMZ was questioning her about the view.  She went on a tirade that was filled with profanities, and I remember Whoopie saying, that, it is an easy gig, it is just a paycheck to her and all she has to do is show up and look cute...lol

Yes, I forgot about that incident, but there have been many that show her true colors (green $$$).

• Love 5
(edited)

We know ABC's only given her a one-year contract two seasons in a row now. Because of that, she doesn't know if she'll be back until the end of every season now. And that's the way ABC probably likes it after she abused her position to cause a trainwreck when Perez, Wallace, and O'Donnell were there and ABC were stuck because Whoopi still had a year and a half left of her contract that they'd have had to pay out to get rid of her. 

She did this whole "Will I stay, will I go" game last year around this time on The Wendy Williams Show, too. She wants to be able to create her own narrative if they decide not to sign her for another year. The show tries to let the co-hosts bow out gracefully when they're let go. @Apprentice79: From what I remember, she made some joke about how there could be 4 turtles in the other chairs and she wouldn't care in the least as long as she gets paid. I'll give her points for honesty anyway.

Between this and McCain's little slip on Friday's show about "when I get fired," I have a feeling the news about next season must've come down to the ladies this week. I just hope McCain is gone. I can deal with Whoopi in her current form, even if she still rambles incoherently and snaps at Sunny all the time for no reason.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

We know ABC's only given her a one-year contract two seasons in a row now. Because of that, she doesn't know if she'll be back until the end of every season now. And that's the way ABC probably likes it after she abused her position to cause a trainwreck when Perez, Wallace, and O'Donnell were there and ABC were stuck because Whoopi still had a year and a half left of her contract that they'd have had to pay out to get rid of her. 

She did this whole "Will I stay, will I go" game last year around this time on The Wendy Williams Show, too. She wants to be able to create her own narrative if they decide not to sign her for another year. The show tries to let the co-hosts bow out gracefully when they're let go. @Apprentice79: From what I remember, she made some joke about how there could be 4 turtles in the other chairs and she wouldn't care in the least as long as she gets paid. I'll give her points for honesty anyway.

Between this and McCain's little slip on Friday's show about "when I get fired," I have a feeling the news about next season must've come down to the ladies this week. I just hope McCain is gone. I can deal with Whoopi in her current form, even if she still rambles incoherently and snaps at Sunny all the time for no reason.

Whoopie did use her power to wreak havoc, when it came to Rosie O.  I did like how she would use it, for good, as well. She is staunch defender, of the crew, especially, those who have been there for years.  She will push back on the producers who try to do that. I also heard that she does not get along with a Black female producer there.  I do think that we are stuck with Whoopie, I do think that the panel should remain and they need to put Ana there full time.  The View is not a good fit for Megan. Megan needs to find her own path and needs to stay away from politics. She also needs to read more and travel the world. She has been in her privilege bubble, for far too long..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Well, damn.  Whoopi told Jimmy Fallon this week that she had planned to retire after this season of The View but her daughter convinced her to stay another year.

Whoopi's daughter (and all other related hangers-on) need that guaranteed income...and the plus-ones that come with invitations because Whoopi's still in the limelight.

• Love 3

Whoopi will never be fired unless she pulls a Roseanne and goes completely off the rails.  ABC loves having someone of her stature in the mod seat and helping make sparks.

• Love 8

I believed Whoopi when she said that last season would be her last. AND I also believed her when she explained WHY she didn’t leave-the results of the last general election. And as much as her ignorance and constant defense of celebrities irks me, along with her disrespect for Sunny, she IS needed, if only because that twat only caves and shuts up when Whoopi speaks to counter her bullshit.

But as others have also stated, when Whoopi is good, she’s really good. And until the Twat is gone, and they can find a good moderator, Whoopi can stay.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi will never be fired unless she pulls a Roseanne and goes completely off the rails.  ABC loves having someone of her stature in the mod seat and helping make sparks.

Not sure about the stature!  I think appearing on The VIew gave her new life.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Not sure about the stature!  I think appearing on The VIew gave her new life.

She has always thanked Barbara for giving her a chance on the View. It reignited her career.  She was really shunned for her various debacles over the years. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I believed Whoopi when she said that last season would be her last. AND I also believed her when she explained WHY she didn’t leave-the results of the last general election. And as much as her ignorance and constant defense of celebrities irks me, along with her disrespect for Sunny, she IS needed, if only because that twat only caves and shuts up when Whoopi speaks to counter her bullshit.

But as others have also stated, when Whoopi is good, she’s really good. And until the Twat is gone, and they can find a good moderator, Whoopi can stay.

They have a good moderator - Joy.

• Love 14

The other thing that Whoopi spoke about when she was on with Jimmy Fallon was the vest she was wearing & was hand painted on the back by her daughter and then telling him about her new Christmas sweaters she is doing, including for kids, and Jimmy wanted sweaters for his little daughters...so Whoopi was happy to 'push" her products :)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The other thing that Whoopi spoke about when she was on with Jimmy Fallon was the vest she was wearing & was hand painted on the back by her daughter and then telling him about her new Christmas sweaters she is doing, including for kids, and Jimmy wanted sweaters for his little daughters...so Whoopi was happy to 'push" her products :)

Whoopie is always pushing something to make money.  I remember her daughter had a line of socks she was pushing. Another time, it was a line of lipsticks.  Socks are socks, do people pay out big money for socks, I did not really understand.. Does Haute couture extend to socks and panty hoses...

• Love 5