Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Joy and Whoopi seem to have a very good relationship.  I don't believe she's trying to get Whoopi fired.

yeah, i would be really surprised if Joy is backstabbing Whoopi, maybe raising concerns about her health and ability to run the show (which she really is not good at) as any friend would be.

personally, i would be thrilled if Whoopi resigned - she detracts from the show

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Joy and Whoopi seem to have a very good relationship.  I don't believe she's trying to get Whoopi fired.

That was the part of the article that make me think, "Take this with a grain of salt."  I've never pictured Joy as a back-stabber.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I don't believe Joy is after Whoopi either, they've always been allies behind-the-scenes. I'm sure Sunny wouldn't mind if Whoopi went though, and I can't blame her for that. Personally, I don't think Whoopi will go. She's always stayed because she wants the $$$. I'm sure there are friends who want her to go because in today's environment it's so easy to be "cancelled" and Whoopi's come close, but I doubt her family are advising her to leave at all. She has had some sciatica problems lately because of the chairs, that's not really because of BTS fighting.

I wouldn't mind if Whoopi did leave even if I don't think she would. It would be interesting to find a new moderator for the panel, but it would be difficult attracting a big name at the same time (and that's what they would need). That said, part of me feels it's better that the show not rock the boat. Whoopi, Joy, Sara, Ana, and Sunny are a panel that's kept them #1 in the ratings for several years now. The 5th chair can be filled by anyone, but messing with those others too much could potentially impact their hot streak.

• Like 8

Whoopi has been doing a lot of press for her new book. In an interview with Don Lemon he asked if she "loves" doing The View. Has he ever even watched the show to think she loves anything more than the paycheck?  😂

• Like 3

Whoopi has a huge family to support.

I know she has done a lot of charity in the past.

But now it is her jewelry, Italian  products, and her new book.

Probably just me...but I don't care.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Whoopi has a huge family to support.

I know she has done a lot of charity in the past.

But now it is her jewelry, Italian  products, and her new book.

Probably just me...but I don't care.

Sunny recently said on the Behind the Table podcast that Whoopi sent her family meals for two weeks straight after Manny's parents died. I don't enjoy Whoopi on The View most of the time, but do think she has a generous spirit and caring heart (contrary to what her grouchy on-air persona might suggest).

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Article on how Whoopi prefers the earlier days of The View:

I, too, prefer the earlier days of The View...without Whoopi!

Bring back Meredith. I'll even put up with Star. Anything to be Whoopi-less.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

hmmm...seems to me it is Whoopi that dominates hot topics...at the beginning, during and the wrap up...complete with lecturing. 

The others really are intimated by her, imo.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
39 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

complete with lecturing

I was telling my sister the other day that Whoopi can't get through one day without lecturing the audience.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I haven't watched The View regularly in years now.  And though I never really had much of an opinion on Whoopi, I did dislike the way she bullied Rosie O when they were on the show at the same time.

However, when I saw the ebook for her memoir on my library website I decided to borrow it, and I really enjoyed reading about her life with her mother and brother.  There was no doubt they meant everything to her, and she is still dealing with the loss of both of them.

One interesting bit, pertaining to The View:

Her mother used to call her to tell her that her face looked like she wasn't interested in/paying attention to the guest.  Now her daughter does the same thing.

It's a short book, only 145 pages on my e-reader, so a quick read, and better than some memoirs I've read with double the pages, but tons of boring stuff.

• Useful 3
On 5/20/2024 at 5:47 AM, buffynut said:

Her mother used to call her to tell her that her face looked like she wasn't interested in/paying attention to the guest.  Now her daughter does the same thing.

And Whoopi continues to pay no attention to guests or cohosts who she is tired of and could care less what viewers think.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Denize said:

And Whoopi continues to pay no attention to guests or cohosts who she is tired of and could care less what viewers think.

It's disrespectful and unprofessional.  I don't watch the View Your Deal segments anymore. Does she still come out and take things?  That used to bug me.  The audience would laugh like it was funny.  I never found it funny.  

• Like 2

No, she hasn’t done that in a long time.

I don’t think Whoopi disrespects guests, she only gets frustrated with stupid hot topics. Can’t say I blame her. I don’t dislike Whoopi like some of you do. My biggest beef with her is when she refuses to accept that sometimes she is wrong and she gets argumentative. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

My biggest beef with her is when she refuses to accept that sometimes she is wrong and she gets argumentative. 

Sparks make The View better but digging too far into conflict and over-talking can be alienating. It could be beneficial for her to invent a conversation ending phrase for these occasions: 
Agree to disagree.
My thoughts differ.
We will not be changing minds today.
That’s one way to look at it. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Glitches said:

Sparks make The View better but digging too far into conflict and over-talking can be alienating. It could be beneficial for her to invent a conversation ending phrase for these occasions: 
Agree to disagree.
My thoughts differ.
We will not be changing minds today.
That’s one way to look at it. 

She does a have a conversation ending phrase.  She looks exasperatedly at Brian and says, "I know we have to go."  Cue the music.

• Like 2

I have no problem with her as most of the time when she does her "this is boring" act I am in total agreement with her & my eyes are just about to roll so far back in my head it hurts.

• Like 4

I am almost finished listening to her memoir.  It is about 7 hours of listening so not that long.  I have learned a lot about her.  I am not a regular watcher of The View anymore, but, I found her story poignant, sometimes charming, and a lot I didn't know about her.  I think I might understand why all those actors who come on who worked with her are so thrilled to be with her.  She reads it, and she is good at that, maybe because it is her story.  Or maybe I had too much wine and I am totally off base.

• Useful 3