Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Because we could all use some hilarious, gut-busting laugh-out, another snippet of Whoopi's talent! 

BEST SCENE in the MOVIE! Right up there with Ghost's "Molly? You in Danger, Girl."  and when Orlando jumped into Oda Mae's body, with "DAMN, Baby, what'd you do to your hair?"

"You know what that means? It means he hasn't got a HEAD! How'm I supposed to write for a guy that doesn't have a head? No lips, no vocal chords--what do you want me to do?"😂🤣😂

"What I want you to help me understand is making Celeste, Montana's MOTHER. Now, did Celeste have her when she was 5, 6, 7, when?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

I always assumed Whoopi got this gig because (A) she came cheap, (B) Disney loves her and (C) she was still sort of a big deal at the time.  I also assumed that she refused to do any sort of auditioning or test runs so ABC had no idea how completely incompetent she would be.  

I thought Bawa hired Whoopi as part of her redemption? She, Whoopi that is, had gotten bumped from doing the Slim Fast commercials and other things because of what she said about Bush. And she was persona non grata.

I think, another reason why Bawa chose her was even if Whoopi's own talk show failed, she was good. I remember someone posting her interview with Joan Rivers, here, and we wondered WHERE is THAT Whoopi?

• Love 5
On 2/15/2020 at 5:47 AM, Haleth said:

I'm surprised it took this long for her (them) to wrap up production of the movie, especially since Mother Abigail is not a major character.  I guess she had to keep the hair in case of any post production reshoots.

Woohoo can't wait for this! I think though MA was a major character.  Especially in the second half of the story.  Shes the uniting factor, they all head for MA and shes the guiding driving force.  She's the one who sees the Dark Man. The ultimate Good vs Evil.  Hmm not sure how far to go or if spoilers apply

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, leftlane said:

I don't remember Whoopi being cancelled for 10 years. I wasn't sure what she was talking about when she said Barbara Walters was the only one who gave her a chance to have a career again.

Brought over from the main episode thread. Here is one article about it.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-controversy-that-put-whoopi-goldbergs-career-on-hold.html/

In 2004, Whoopi Goldberg was not at the peak of her screen career, but she definitely had a lot going on. While making appearances in Star Trek and Jiminy Glick movies, she had her own show (Whoopi) going on NBC. Meanwhile, she had hosted the Oscars just two years earlier.

However, Whoopi’s steady roll suddenly came to a standstill in July of ’04. It began when Slim-Fast dropped her as a spokesperson. Looking at her work in 2005, you only find one small voice role and a handful of writing credits.

She recently described the period to the New York Times Magazine with her trademark humor. “For a good three years, I couldn’t even get arrested,” she said. It all followed some jokes she told about George W. Bush at a fundraiser for John Kerry (the Democratic Party’s ’04 nominee).

While Whoopi’s words seem tame in 2019 — and probably were considered such a few years after she spoke them — the controversy genuinely put her career on hold. Here’s what happened.

Whoopi’s pun on ‘Bush’ prompted outrage from conservative media and corporate sponsors.

At the Kerry fundraiser at Radio City Music Hall, Whoopi ran with jokes that referenced the president’s name and how it also was a word for female pubic hair. “We should keep Bush where he belongs,” The Guardian reported Whoopi saying while gesturing at her crotch. “And not in the White House.”

In the following days, Slim-Fast removed her from its ad campaign. “We are disappointed by the manner in which Ms Goldberg chose to express herself and sincerely regret that her recent remarks offended some of our consumers,” a company official said.

The Controversy That Put Whoopi Goldberg’s Career on Hold

In 2004, Whoopi Goldberg was not at the peak of her screen career, but she definitely had a lot going on. While making appearances in Star Trek and Jiminy Glick movies, she had her own show (Whoopi) going on NBC. Meanwhile, she had hosted the Oscars just two years earlier.

However, Whoopi’s steady roll suddenly came to a standstill in July of ’04. It began when Slim-Fast dropped her as a spokesperson. Looking at her work in 2005, you only find one small voice role and a handful of writing credits.

She recently described the period to the New York Times Magazine with her trademark humor. “For a good three years, I couldn’t even get arrested,” she said. It all followed some jokes she told about George W. Bush at a fundraiser for John Kerry (the Democratic Party’s ’04 nominee).

While Whoopi’s words seem tame in 2019 — and probably were considered such a few years after she spoke them — the controversy genuinely put her career on hold. Here’s what happened.

Whoopi’s pun on ‘Bush’ prompted outrage from conservative media and corporate sponsors.

At the Kerry fundraiser at Radio City Music Hall, Whoopi ran with jokes that referenced the president’s name and how it also was a word for female pubic hair. “We should keep Bush where he belongs,” The Guardian reported Whoopi saying while gesturing at her crotch. “And not in the White House.”

In the following days, Slim-Fast removed her from its ad campaign. “We are disappointed by the manner in which Ms Goldberg chose to express herself and sincerely regret that her recent remarks offended some of our consumers,” a company official said.

The media outlets owned by conservative Australian billionaire Rupert Murdoch also churned up the outrage machine. “Jerky jokester Whoopi in dirty diss at Dubya,” read a New York Post headline from that week.

Whoopi didn’t sound too broken up about the Slim-Fast gig. “While I can appreciate what the Slim-Fast people need to do in order to protect their business, I must also do what I need to do as an artist, as a writer and as an American, not to mention as a comic,” she said in a statement.

However, it definitely affected her work in Hollywood.

Whoopi’s workload took a significant hit following her remarks.

In Whoopi’s Times Magazine interview that ran July 8, she noted how most outlets who reported on her Bush bit didn’t even repeat her comments. “Before I got offstage, it was reported that I’d been vulgar and crude and said horrible stuff. I didn’t. Nobody wrote what I actually said.”

Hoping to avoid unnecessary controversy, the Democratic National Convention uninvited Whoopi from its ’04 events. Meanwhile, her acting jobs stopped coming for several years. (Note that she did work on Chris Rock’s Everybody Hates Chris in 2006.)

At the time, Whoopi called attention to now-well-known conservative propaganda machine. “I’ve done material on every president in the past 20 years, from Reagan to Carter, from Clinton to Bush. It seems now that people from the other side are using this to further their own agenda.”

So could the whole thing have been avoided? Maybe — if Whoopi had allowed the the fundraiser’s organizers to vet her jokes. That didn’t happen. “I Xeroxed my behind and I folded it up in an envelope and I sent it back with a big kiss mark on it,” she said about that (per The Guardian).

I guess the moral of the story is, if you ask Whoopi to perform, she’s going to say what she feels like. That’s what made her famous as a performer and beloved as a personality.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The part about this cancelling of Whoopi is that she continues to deny that she said what she said. She again repeated that on Show this week. She made the joke, people overreacted and she got cancelled. But she keeps implying or outright saying that she didn't make that joke.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, falltime said:

If that was the joke that isn't even all that vulgar.

2 hours ago, falltime said:

So could the whole thing have been avoided? Maybe — if Whoopi had allowed the the fundraiser’s organizers to vet her jokes. That didn’t happen. “I Xeroxed my behind and I folded it up in an envelope and I sent it back with a big kiss mark on it,” she said about that (per The Guardian).

So if she hadn't told that joke she wouldn't be on the View as moderator.  It is true.  A butterfly flaps their wings and a tsunami happens half way around the world.

• LOL 5

I opened my phone and it says Whoopsie is finally had it moderating the View.  Reading through the news drop it claims a tabloid says she is tired of "know it all Joy" and McCain's bulldozer attempts to monopolize a topic.   She is also not too fond of the others.

We won't know until the summer if this is a subtle way of telling her panel that she wants them to back off or if it is a real plan.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

she is tired of "know it all Joy"

Is she now?  As opposed to us, the viewers, who are tired of "give no fucks Goldberg?"

55 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

She is also not too fond of the others.

Speaking for some of us, we aren't too fond of her anymore either, so..

56 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

We won't know until the summer if this is a subtle way of telling her panel that she wants them to back off or if it is a real plan.

Tabloid or not, let's hope it's a real plan.  I'd love to be able to say  -- Bye bye Whoopi, don't let the teleprompter hit you on the way out! 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mldyold said:

I opened my phone and it says Whoopsie is finally had it moderating the View.  Reading through the news drop it claims a tabloid says she is tired of "know it all Joy" and McCain's bulldozer attempts to monopolize a topic.   She is also not too fond of the others.

5 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Is she now?  As opposed to us, the viewers, who are tired of "give no fucks Goldberg?"

Speaking for some of us, we aren't too fond of her anymore either, so..

Tabloid or not, let's hope it's a real plan.  I'd love to be able to say  -- Bye bye Whoopi, don't let the teleprompter hit you on the way out! 

To be fair to Whoopi, she planned on leaving at the end of the season in 2016, but felt she couldn't leave when Hillary didn't win. That's not me speculating--that's what she said.

But I'm not believing anything any tabloids have to say about what Whoopi "says" about Joy. Theirs is a true friendship. And as for Twatty, well Herself (Whoopi) had some say in her hiring, so don't believe that, either, because Whoopi can cut her off or mute her or whatever to stop the monopolizing.

And I don't believe that she "isn't fond of" Sara. Sunny? Yes, there was tension; LOTS of tension pre-pandemic. Sunny did a lot of ass kissing. But things have seemed to smooth out.

What's the source of this "news"?

• Love 2

Oh, I am sure you are probably right @GHScorpiosRule but it's fun to think about a Whoopi-less View isn't it?  If I am being honest though, I would probably end up missing the cranky curmudgeon and the occasional hilarity that ensues from her being so terrible at her job.  And knowing The View, her replacement would probably be even worse; if that's possible and in the world of The View, we know it is. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mldyold said:

Remember... you can't spell EGOT without EGO. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 10:35 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

To be fair to Whoopi, she planned on leaving at the end of the season in 2016, but felt she couldn't leave when Hillary didn't win. That's not me speculating--that's what she said.

But I'm not believing anything any tabloids have to say about what Whoopi "says" about Joy. Theirs is a true friendship. And as for Twatty, well Herself (Whoopi) had some say in her hiring, so don't believe that, either, because Whoopi can cut her off or mute her or whatever to stop the monopolizing.

And I don't believe that she "isn't fond of" Sara. Sunny? Yes, there was tension; LOTS of tension pre-pandemic. Sunny did a lot of ass kissing. But things have seemed to smooth out.

What's the source of this "news"?

Exactly! Whoopie has always said that Joy is her favorite co-host.  They are real friends and the only time that there was any tension between them was when Joy came back to the show.   I do believe that Whoopie has buyers remorse when it comes to the snowflake Megan.  Whoopie seems over her and has been pushing back on her a lot..

• Love 5
On 2/27/2021 at 2:49 PM, Pearson80 said:

Exactly! Whoopie has always said that Joy is her favorite co-host.  They are real friends and the only time that there was any tension between them was when Joy came back to the show.   I do believe that Whoopie has buyers remorse when it comes to the snowflake Megan.  Whoopie seems over her and has been pushing back on her a lot..

sub-buzz-304-1576523109-17.jpg?downsize=

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

Gee, I didn't either.  Maybe she could make a commercial for Nurtec so we wouldn't have to see the Kardashian person hawking it.

LOL!

I get migraines now and then (not so much lately, knock on wood), and I don't wish them on anyone. The pain is intense. 

• Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Did she have one this morning?  She was "confused, had trouble speaking or thinking of words" symptoms throughout most of the show.  When she starts brain-farting with word salads, the producer in her ear should suggest she let others speak instead. I've had an occasional migraine, all related to binging on junkfood.

Edited by deirdra

I thought Whoopi was either having a migraine today or was stoned, but it turns out she actually is just baffled by the idiocy that is MeAgain because she was fine during Kenan interview.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, bannana said:

I thought Whoopi was either having a migraine today or was stoned, but it turns out she actually is just baffled by the idiocy that is MeAgain because she was fine during Kenan interview.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

In Whoops' defense, I think a lot of us had that same "wtf, okay Miss America" response to Meghan today.

• Love 9
On 3/8/2021 at 10:47 AM, cinsays said:

Gee, I didn't either.  Maybe she could make a commercial for Nurtec so we wouldn't have to see the Kardashian person hawking it.

Yes! I quit Ipsy becuase they have her hawking makeup for them. 

Because I just finished watching the last six episodes of Genius: Aretha last night, and have been down the YouTube Rabbit Hole to find interviews with her...I came across this after her funeral.

Whoopi can be coherent. If only she could maintain this on a regular basis. But yes, I was cheering Whoopi here.

• Love 4

Do you think Whoopi's coherence is a function of where she is doing the show from?  When they were in studio, she definitely seemed more coherent.  But working from home, all she has to do is roll out of bed and most of the time that's definitely the vibe she gives off.

• Love 4

I have watched a few episodes of "The Con" , narrated by WHoopi, and she's actually pretty good.   She pronounces difficult names, gets facts straight, and seems to understand some complicated manipulations that people use to con others.  Of course, she's just reading words written by someone else, but she comes across s much more insightful and intelligent than she does on The VIew.    On The View, she seems to be just phoning it in. 

• Love 7

I think Whoopi's a talented, intelligent woman. She just doesn't GAF much of the time. lol She's been in show business so long. I don't think she's like Meghan where she gets off on talking politics and wants so badly to be considered this smart pundit. When Whoopi's been rude to Sunny I've wondered if she was intimidated. Generally speaking though, Whoopi comes across as someone who knows she's an icon and an egot and is pretty secure with that. She wants to show up and get that View paycheck. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, GiveMeSpace said:

Yes! I quit Ipsy becuase they have her hawking makeup for them. 

Is she really though, or is it one of those scams?  She might not even know they're stealing her likeness

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Is she really though, or is it one of those scams?  She might not even know they're stealing her likeness

It's her. She does live videos and stuff for them with her face looking more odd all of the time. Not exactly a great promo for makeup, in my opinion. Besides, all of those damn Kardashians will shill for anyone who will pay them. They have widely been criticized for promoting dangerous weight loss products, etc.  Her advertisements were on the site where you plan your makeup bags. It is definitely her and endorsed by her. 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:30 AM, tinkerbell said:

I have watched a few episodes of "The Con" , narrated by WHoopi, and she's actually pretty good. 

I wonder how many takes it took her to sound that way?  LOL!

• Love 3
On 3/27/2021 at 9:30 AM, tinkerbell said:

I have watched a few episodes of "The Con" , narrated by WHoopi, and she's actually pretty good.   She pronounces difficult names, gets facts straight, and seems to understand some complicated manipulations that people use to con others.  Of course, she's just reading words written by someone else, but she comes across s much more insightful and intelligent than she does on The VIew.    On The View, she seems to be just phoning it in. 

The recording studio probably has much better equipment than the home setup.  Wouldn't take much for my home setup to be put to shame lol.  Now a lil more practice with those blue cards (cue cards, teleprompter, whatever) can only help.  That might be part of the problem.  In the rec studio she's had time to study a script and practiced to be ready.  With the show things are pretty last minute depending on the news of the day and there's not much time to practice

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Here's an excerpt of an interview with Whoopie from 2018 that was just posted on Youtube recently where she discusses getting her job on The View.

Went through her savings. Stay another year. Hmmm ... Why didn't one person get a job instead of spending her savings.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, rcc said:

Went through her savings. Stay another year. Hmmm ... Why didn't one person get a job instead of spending her savings.

Her family will keep saying this until Whoopi is dead rather than work themselves.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1