Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Realms-Oops, *Roles*

• Start Topic

Gwendoline Christie has done Star Wars: The Force Awakens, will be in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. She's also picked up a bit part in one of the Hunger Games films. I believe she's also in the new The Darkest Minds film. She's building a genre franchise reputation while also doing projects that stretch her skills like Top of the Lake: China Girl. 

Nikolaj is lead in the new Brian de Palma film, Domino along with Carice van Houten.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2017 at 0:28 PM, Eyes High said:

I wonder in the long run which GOT actors and actresses, if any, will really break out and achieve big Hollywood success.

Depends on what counts as “success.” Most actors, even good and well-known ones, never rise to the level of Jennifer Lawrence or Tom Cruise.

Peter Dinklage, Iain Glenn, and Sean Bean already had pretty solid careers. I expect Emilia Clarke to stick around and continue to be a recognizable name. Probably Gwendoline Christie and Sophie Turner too. 

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 6
On 10/5/2017 at 6:10 PM, madam magpie said:

Depends on what counts as “success.” Most actors, even good and well-known ones, never rise to the level of Jennifer Lawrence or Tom Cruise.

Peter Dinklage, Iain Glenn, and Sean Bean already had pretty solid careers. I expect Emilia Clarke to stick around and continue to be a recognizable name. Probably Gwendoline Christie and Sophie Turner too. 

I agree. While most of these actors are unlikely to become huge movie stars, most of older ones have been working steadily in the tough business long before GoT came along which I consider success. However, there is no doubt that GoT has raised their profile and given them more opportunities.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2017 at 9:24 PM, enoughcats said:

Iwan Rheon, aka  Ramsay Bolton, plays Maximus in the new  Marvel Cinematic Universe series Inhumans.  He looks slimmer and heavier bearded and serious. Haven't seen an evil twinkle in his eye, yet.

I just saw him on a BBC comedy series called Grandma's House, originally aired between 2010 and 2012. He played an actor on whom the main character (an ex-t.v. presenter) has a huge crush. He's really quiet, shy, and mumbly, to the point where people keep shouting at him to speak up and he sort of just sits there cringing and peering out from under his artsy haircut. He's SO adorable in it.

The other thing about the current entertainment landscape is that quality tv is better and has more prestige than movies right now. Movies still make a lot of money, but they don't dominate the cultural conversations online or in conversations the way something like Game of Thrones or Stranger Things does. Other than something like Star Wars or a superhero movie- but those are franchises that are also series (in a way). The hype is pre-built in. 

I think someone like Richard Madden, who is doing a lot of interesting work in TV right now may benefit the most from the GOT buzz, as I mentioned earlier. He can benefit from the buzz without being tied to the schedule.  

Harrington has been in some crap movies, but may actually try to get another series in the UK after GOT. I think he should do more comedy because his tennis spoof was very funny. He's also likely made enough money from GOT and his various advertising campaigns to never have to work again. 

Clarke is super cute, but is not the best actor (I'm aware that some may disagree and that's fine.) She might have a big career, but maybe not. 

• Love 1

An animated version of Jerome Flynn (Bronn) is in Loving Vincent (the characters are all from Van Gogh portraits and the scenery is all from Van Gogh land/city scapes, or still lifes). He plays the Vincent's psychiatrist.

Just saw Maester Aemon (Peter Vaughn) play Count Izvolsky, Foreign Minister of Russia, in Fall of Eagles, a British miniseries from the 70s about the Austrian, German and Russian empires in the decades before WWI.

His ass was handed to him in the Game of Thrones.  Made Ned Stark look like a smooth operator

On 10/5/2017 at 8:26 AM, Eyes High said:

I agree. I feel that like SMG, Emilia Clarke had her chance. Was Genisys for Emilia what Simply Irresistible was for SMG? 

Well, unlike Clarke, SMG actually can act.  But despite how unfair it is I think she'll get more chances than SMG ever did. Genre TV was still somewhat stigmatized back then. Now it's huge. And Clarke has such name recognition that I think more films will want her.

She's still the most likely to have a bigish film career. But competition is fierce and her talent is not.

I think Maisie Williams will have a very interesting career. Especially if she embraces more interesting TV work after this.

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, CherithCutestory said:

Well, unlike Clarke, SMG actually can act.  But despite how unfair it is I think she'll get more chances than SMG ever did. Genre TV was still somewhat stigmatized back then. Now it's huge. And Clarke has such name recognition that I think more films will want her.

GOT is a much bigger show than Buffy ever was (it was never more than a niche program).  I think that's more relevant than diminished genre bias.

• Love 2

Peter Dinklage was at Sundance promoting I Think We're Alone Now, in which he stars along with Elle Fanning. It sounds like a postapocalyptic version of The Station Agent, with Dinklage playing a similar character. Reviews are middling. (The Station Agent is awesome, though.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Not in another realm, but in another galaxy. D&D's project after GoT will be a Star Wars trilogy.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-thrones-meets-galaxy-far-far-away-benioff-weiss-write-new-star-wars-211651543.html

I've never been happier my Star Wars viewing stops at the first three movies. D&D destroyed everything they were given on GoT from season 5 on. I wish any fans of Star Wars a lot of luck with that cocktail of incompetence, misogyny, overblown set pieces, overwritten dialogue, overreliance on a handful of pet characters, overreliance on Marty Stu villains, and cheap corner-cutting.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

I've never been happier my Star Wars viewing stops at the first three movies. D&D destroyed everything they were given on GoT from season 5 on. I wish any fans of Star Wars a lot of luck with that cocktail of incompetence, misogyny, overblown set pieces, overwritten dialogue, overreliance on a handful of pet characters, overreliance on Marty Stu villains, and cheap corner-cutting.

And they got better ratings every season, which brought even more money every season, and it's the only thing mattering to Disney's Number One Cash Cow the current Star Wars franchise. They even got some Emmy love for a genre show. The Disney board must be drooling.

That said, if they're anything like 6x09 and 6x10, I might make an exception and give a look at D&D's SW movies.

• Love 1

Game of The Crown continues (small wonder, since Nina Gold does casting for both shows): Tobias Menzies (Edmure) will be playing Prince Philip in Seasons 3 and 4.

Anton Lesser (Qyburn) played Harold Macmillan in Season 2 and Stephen Dillane (Stannis) played Graham Sutherland in Season 1.

I wonder what holds the record for most GOT cast crossovers? Harry Potter still, probably, but Wolf Hall had a considerable number of GOT actors (including, again, Anton Lesser).

Maisie and Sophie's big Marvel projects, New Mutants and Dark Phoenix (respectively), have both had their release dates pushed back, with significant reshoots ordered for both. There's speculation that one or both films could be casualties of the Fox/Disney deal.

Edited by Eyes High

If you've always wanted to see Stannis as an Irishman who immigrates to mid-19 century Australia, and then meets and marries Lady Crane, Kings in Grass Castles is the Australian miniseries for you.

Tragedy, triumph and then more tragedy (there may be more triumph, I haven't finished watching)

Available on Amazon Prime

• Love 1
On 3/29/2018 at 1:03 PM, Eyes High said:

Game of The Crown continues (small wonder, since Nina Gold does casting for both shows): Tobias Menzies (Edmure) will be playing Prince Philip in Seasons 3 and 4.

Anton Lesser (Qyburn) played Harold Macmillan in Season 2 and Stephen Dillane (Stannis) played Graham Sutherland in Season 1.

Gemma Whelan was also in an ep of Season 2. 

The HP crossover is at least 8 by my count (Natalia Tena, Michelle Fairley, Jim Broadbent, David Bradley, Theon's backstabbing first mate Dagmer, Dickon 1.0,, Mance Rayder, Pycelle), I think that'll be a hard number to beat. There's probably more overlap there in bit parts no one could recognize by face or voice, and Stephen Dillane's son played teen Voldy in HP6, which is not technically a crossover but an interesting connection. 

8 hours ago, Lady S. said:

Gemma Whelan was also in an ep of Season 2. 

The HP crossover is at least 8 by my count (Natalia Tena, Michelle Fairley, Jim Broadbent, David Bradley, Theon's backstabbing first mate Dagmer, Dickon 1.0,, Mance Rayder, Pycelle), I think that'll be a hard number to beat. There's probably more overlap there in bit parts no one could recognize by face or voice, and Stephen Dillane's son played teen Voldy in HP6, which is not technically a crossover but an interesting connection. 

I checked the Wolf Hall IMDB page, and there are 10 crossovers: Qyburn, High Sparrow, Jojen, Shireen, Viserys, Syrio. Tycho Nestoris, Arthur Dayne, Walder Rivers, and Yezzan. Crazy! (Nina Gold did the casting for Wolf Hall, so that likely explains it.)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I checked the Wolf Hall IMDB page, and there are 10 crossovers: Qyburn, High Sparrow, Jojen, Shireen, Viserys, Syrio. Tycho Nestoris, Arthur Dayne, Walder Rivers, and Yezzan. Crazy! (Nina Gold did the casting for Wolf Hall, so that likely explains it.)

Whoa. I remembered Qyburn, Jojen, Viserys, and the High Sparrow. The interwebs tells me there's a hell of a lot of overlap between GoT and Doctor Who, but I'm not into that series.

I apologize if this has been posted already, but we just watched the movie "Breathe".  There is a gem of a short appearance by Diana Rigg about midway through the movie as a Dowager, and she does these rolls so well. 

I watched the excellent Death of Stalin and was surprised to see some GOT faces among the minor roles: Roger Ashton Griffiths (Mace Tyrell), Richard Brake (S4, S5 Night King), and Tom Brooke (S3 Lothar Frey).

I watched the much less excellent Patrick Melrose and saw Indira Varma playing Anne.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:33 PM, Eyes High said:

I wonder what holds the record for most GOT cast crossovers? Harry Potter still, probably, but Wolf Hall had a considerable number of GOT actors (including, again, Anton Lesser).

Maisie and Sophie's big Marvel projects, New Mutants and Dark Phoenix (respectively), have both had their release dates pushed back, with significant reshoots ordered for both. There's speculation that one or both films could be casualties of the Fox/Disney deal.

I actually just watched this a little while ago and Anton Lesser is absolutely terrific as Thomas More. He stole every scene he was in. According to IMDB he got a (well-deserved) BAFTA nomination for it, but the Emmys went for the bigger name in Damian Lewis.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

I actually just watched this a little while ago and Anton Lesser is absolutely terrific as Thomas More. He stole every scene he was in. According to IMDB he got a (well-deserved) BAFTA nomination for it, but the Emmys went for the bigger name in Damian Lewis.

Anton Lesser is flawless in everything I've seen him in. And this includes the last season of Primeval.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AshleyN said:

40 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Anton Lesser is flawless in everything I've seen him in. And this includes the last season of Primeval.

Absolutely agree. Anton Lesser is electrifying in Wolf Hall.

GRRM used Thomas Cromwell as inspiration for Littlefinger, so Wolf Hall is a natural choice for any GOT fan, even apart from all the actors in both projects.

• Love 3

It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll say it -- Emilia Clark (Daenerys) has a major role in Solo: A Star Wars Story.  I won't talk about her role there for fear of spoiling anyone who hasn't seen it.  I will say that I wasn't distracted at all by her being in the movie -- possibly because her Star Wars character having dark hair helped me keep that character separate in my mind from Daenerys.  Or maybe the fact that I'm not watching new episodes of Game of Thrones right now is what made it easy to accept her in the new role. 

On 2018/5/28 at 11:43 AM, Hook75 said:

I saw Ibiza with Richard Madden - he was so, so hot in that movie.

I was skeptical about watching it, and figured I'd stay if the DJ in question was hot enough. And then Richard Madden came onscreen and needless to say I had to finish it! I was surprised that his character was kinda dorky and neurotic like Gillian Jacobs's character. Thought he would be the aloof heartthrob. 

• Love 1

Gwendoline Christie started filming on Armando Iannucci's adaptation of David Copperfield, with Dev Patel, Tilda Swinton, Ben Whishaw, and Hugh Laurie. Not sure whom she'll be playing, although Peter Capaldi is playing Mr. Micawber and Ben Whishaw is apparently playing Uriah Heep. Sounds amazing.

I also highly recommend Iannucci's The Death of Stalin, which has a few GOT actors in minor roles.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, Eyes High said:

Gwendoline Christie started filming on Armando Iannucci's adaptation of David Copperfield, with Dev Patel, Tilda Swinton, Ben Whishaw, and Hugh Laurie. Not sure whom she'll be playing, although Peter Capaldi is playing Mr. Micawber and Ben Whishaw is apparently playing Uriah Heep. Sounds amazing.

I also highly recommend Iannucci's The Death of Stalin, which has a few GOT actors in minor roles.

According to Wikipedia, Gwendoline will be playing Jane Murdstone, which in the book is a pretty minor role, but she's going to be in very distinguished company. Cannot wait!

(Hugh Laurie is playing Mr. Dick to Tilda Swinton's Betsey Trotwood, which, again, if you've read the book, is amazing.)