Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Realms-Oops, *Roles*

• Start Topic

Per THR, Sophie Turner is filming the indie drama Huntsville this month, which is why she recently dyed her hair blonde.  The description of the movie made it sound like it was about some kind of Woody Allen-esque relationship between a middle-aged man and a teenager, so I went and read the script, which is online along with others that previously made the Blacklist.

Spoiler

Having read the script, it's obvious why Sophie wanted to play this role.  Her character turns out to be a manipulative revenge-seeker who cuts the throat of the Dylan McDermott character and frames some other kid for it.

Also amusingly, the original script ends with Sophie's character walking into a bar, now with red hair, having spent most of the narrative as a blonde.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, doram said:

Care sharing the script link? I love reading scripts/ treatments. Sometimes they are more enjoyable than the actual movie. 

It and the other 2014 Blacklist scripts are here (note that, unlike most of the others, it's listed with the screenwriter's surname first, under Ragnone).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, TxanGoddess said:

I love Blake, but when I see this I have to think that Infinity is in on its own joke now after all the Matthew McConaughey silliness.

What will happen if Bronn gets to drive?? Dirty Limericks??

• Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 8:09 PM, Clawdette said:

Kit Harington's Infinity ad is being shown before the new Jason Bourne movie. It's rather fetching. 

Tyger Tyger burning bright 

I saw this ad before Ghostbusters and Suicide Squad and each time I could hear people murmuring, "it is Jon Snow." Kit Harrington reciting the poem is pretty dumb, but he sure is pretty.

Richard Madden is in the Netflix original, The Medici: Masters of Florence, and he and David Bradley (he is in 1 episode) had a brief scene, where spoiler alert, Madden's character has to come to terms with an arranged marriage with the daughter of Bradley's character.

I laughed for a whole minute after I saw that scene.

• Love 4

I just started catching up on Taboo, and it has both Jonathan Pryce (the high sparrow) and Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace Tyrell) in a scene together, side by side, and all I could think was how Cersei blew them both up in the Sept.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2016 at 7:39 AM, YaddaYadda said:

Richard Madden is in the Netflix original, The Medici: Masters of Florence, and he and David Bradley (he is in 1 episode) had a brief scene, where spoiler alert, Madden's character has to come to terms with an arranged marriage with the daughter of Bradley's character.

I laughed for a whole minute after I saw that scene.

It actually wasn't half bad. He was, basically playing a King Robb whose head stays on.

Sam's sister Talla is played by Rebecca Benson, who was just on The White Princess as Maggie (Pole), Elizabeth of York's cousin.  By the end of The White Princess, Maggie was the only character still alive who was worth a damn.

Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley) was also in The White Princess as the odious Margaret Beaufort, Henry VII's mother.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Sam's sister Talla is played by Rebecca Benson, who was just on The White Princess as Maggie (Pole), Elizabeth of York's cousin.  By the end of The White Princess, Maggie was the only character still alive who was worth a damn.

Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley) was also in The White Princess as the odious Margaret Beaufort, Henry VII's mother.

Not to mention Season 6's Lady Crane (Essie Davis) as Dowager Queen Elizabeth.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Rebecca Benson also guest starred in the latest episode of Doctor Who.

• Love 1

If you weren't aware of this, David Bradley (Walter Frey) is doing an encore of sorts of his role as William Hartnell as The First Doctor from the 50th anniversary TV movie on the creation of Doctor Who, to play The First Doctor outright in the forthcoming 2017 Doctor Who Christmas Special.

I just realized that Richard Dormer ( Beric Dondarrian ) is also in a freaky little show called "Fortitude."  He's the smarmy sheriff and gets infected by prehistoric bees and becomes absolutely terrifying.  Michelle Fairley is also in "Fortitude" season 2.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2017 at 10:31 PM, ali59 said:

I just realized that Richard Dormer ( Beric Dondarrian ) is also in a freaky little show called "Fortitude."  He's the smarmy sheriff and gets infected by prehistoric bees and becomes absolutely terrifying.  Michelle Fairley is also in "Fortitude" season 2.

Ha, I just came across this and had to chime in to say I LOVED "Fortitude". Between Dormer and The Tooch, I was in heaven. I see there's a season 2 up there on Amazon starring Dennis Quaid, but how can it possibly hold a candle to the wackadoodle goings-on of season 1?

I spend a lot of time watching schmancy British entertainment (also was married to an Englishman, but he gets no credit/blame for my obsession) and am thus a bit of a nerd re: British Actors of a Certain Age. He may be decades my senior, but I find Charles Dance to be a red-hot mega-hottie, to the point where I actually thought he was sexy in Bleak House (sorry/not sorry). And he's in SO MANY things, damn. 

I don't think anyone on this thread mentioned Kit Harington's hilarious (in a great way) performance in the Andy Samberg HBO joint of a couple years ago, 7 Days in Hell. I've always liked his acting, but here, he proves himself in comedy, and that ain't easy. Also, he rocks Wimbledon whites.

Also saw Sophie Turner in a weird movie where she played her own doppelgänger?  Can't remember the title and am too lazy to Google right now.

Edited by spaceghostess
Andy Samberg is NOT Adam Sandler
2 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

I don't think anyone on this thread mentioned Kit Harington's hilarious (in a great way) performance in the Adam Sandler HBO joint of a couple years ago, 7 Days in Hell. 

Kit is hilarious in 7 Days in Hell! He looks like such a child without a beard. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Kit is hilarious in 7 Days in Hell! He looks like such a child without a beard. 

LOL, thanks for the clip! When I first watched the movie, it actually took me a few minutes to recognize him due to beardlessness and "duh" expression. He must have had so much fun doing that role (apparently, he took exactly one tennis lesson to prepare, heh). I liked 7 Days better than the cycling one from this year. It's my gold standard for sports mockumentaries (thus far).

I binged watched The Frankenstein Chronicles this weekend. It is strange and spooky and fit the Penny Dreadful shaped hole in my heart. 

Sean Bean is fantastic in it. He plays a police detective in 1830s* London who finds a very strange corpse of a child on the beach.Turns out it's not a regular corpse of child, it's body parts of eight different kids sewed together (Frankenstein's monster- style) He is ordered to investigate by a politician who believes the corpse was sent to sabotage an upcoming controversial science bill that involves donating corpses to medical schools for science.. However, Marlott seems to think the child woke up and grabbed his arm. But! He's got syphilis being treated by mercury and the hallucinations are crazy.  

The more he investigates, the stranger and messier and weirder it gets. He meets Mary Shelley  (the always great Anna Maxwell Martin)  and he reads her book because he's worried about a copycat. She reads passages of Frankenstein in voiceover, it's great. He tries to find the people rumoured to be stealing children. He encounters grave robbers who sell corpses to the medical school. Including this family called the Bishops, whose leader is played by Kate Dickie. Yes, Ned Stark and Lysa Arryn share some scenes. There are several suspects and I actually guessed who it was quite early, but I didn't really care. 

*Actually 1827- I realize this because that's the year William Blake died, and well, he dies in this. His art makes up the opening credits, notably Ghost of the Flea. Also, Charles Dickens, calling himself Boz, is a character in this. Blake, Shelley, Dickens. 

Spoiler

The final episode is frankly, insane. Sean Bean's character John Marlott solves the crime. Turns out it's the kind/off putting doctor, who is treating Marlott's syphilis with "medicine from mould", whose religious sister is romantically interested in Marlott, is taking children from the slums and killing them and re-animating their corpses! The little stitched together kid was actually re-animated and escaped captivity. Science! By the time Marlott puts it all together, the mad doctor has gone to Marlott's politician boss and said, "yeah, he says a lot of crazy stuff because he's got the syph. I've been treating him." So all of his "but he's the guy!" is dismissed as insanity. 

So Marlott gets arrested for a murder he didn't commit. In true Ned Stark fashion, he realizes his mistakes when it's too late, figures out the truth,  he's arrested for a crime he didn't commit, put on trial and executed.

Yes, Sean Bean's character dies. DIES. They put a sac over his head, a noose around his neck and drop. His legs kick until they don't. 

However,  the mad doctor gets a hold of his corpse and re-animates him. I believe he attaches his head to a new body, too. New Franken-Bean is freaked right out and depressed because he thought in death he'd finally be reunited with his beloved wife.  But he was chosen by the doctor because the doctor's sister admired him so and the doctor thought he'd be a perfect candidate. 

And the last scene of the season is the re-animated Sean Bean stabbing the dude who is guarding him in the eye with a fork and escaping into the world, just like in Mary Shelley's novel. Also, Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is the soundtrack to this scene, which is famously the soundtrack for many, many horror movies in the 20s and 30s. It was insanely ballsy.

I don't know if it actually works, but had so many good Sean Bean things that I loved it. He's great in this. A lot of Sharpe references, too. Marlott fought in the Napoelonic wars and was in the 95th Rifles.  

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Pogojoco said:

I binged watched The Frankenstein Chronicles this weekend. It is strange and spooky and fit the Penny Dreadful shaped hole in my heart. 

Sean Bean is fantastic in it. He plays a police detective in 1830s London who finds a very strange corpse of a child on the beach.Turns out it's not a regular corpse of child, it's body parts of eight different kids sewed together (Frankenstein's monster- style) He is ordered to investigate by a politician who believes the corpse was sent to sabotage an upcoming controversial science bill that involves donating corpses to medical schools for science.. However, Marlott seems to think the child woke up and grabbed his arm. But! He's got syphilis being treated by mercury and the hallucinations are crazy.  

You had me at "Penny Dreadful shaped hole". That show broke my heart . . . and I miss it SO. MUCH. I'll check out The Frankenstein Chronicles (how did I not know about this??) per your recommendation and because I like Sean Bean well enough that I may have recently binged 1993's Lady Chatterly . . .

Edited by spaceghostess
54 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

You had me at "Penny Dreadful shaped hole". That show broke my heart . . . and I miss it SO. MUCH. I'll check out The Frankenstein Chronicles (how did I not know about this??) per your recommendation and because I like Sean Bean well enough that I may have recently binged 1993's Lady Chatterly . . .

Nothing wrong with Lady Chatterly. Bean is a dish. His GOT son and heir Robb Stark (RIP young wolf) Richard Madden played the same character in Lady Chatterly a few years ago. 

Frankenstein Chronicles has a weird airing situation, so people kind of have to look for it. But enough people saw it because it got renewed for a second series. Trailer for the first series: 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Pogojoco said:

Nothing wrong with Lady Chatterly. Bean is a dish. His GOT son and heir Robb Stark (RIP young wolf) Richard Madden played the same character in Lady Chatterly a few years ago. 

Frankenstein Chronicles has a weird airing situation, so people kind of have to look for it. But enough people saw it because it got renewed for a second series. Trailer for the first series: 

Ooooh, nice!  Also nice: the prospect of Madden as Mellors. I'll have to track that down with a quickness.

4 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

Ooooh, nice!  Also nice: the prospect of Madden as Mellors. I'll have to track that down with a quickness.

Trailer? Oh ok. Robb Stark as Mellors.

I haven't seen it, but James Norton and Holliday Granger are in it, too.  James Norton stars in Grantchester, that show about the vicar who solves crimes. The DI in that show is played by Robson Green, the other half of the pop star group Jerome Flynn was in (Robson and Jerome). 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 1

Oh, my. Thanks much for that. Richard Madden is responsible for my having sat through that preposterously overstuffed and soapy Medicis thing on Netflix. It's really sad what I'll do for these GoT hotties. I also saw the pilot of an Amazon sci-fi thing he's in, which I can't for the life of me remember the name of right now. That wasn't too bad; I'm hoping they'll make more episodes.

ETA: I flove James Norton, too. Enjoyed the full range of his talents by watching Pleasant Valley and the first season of Grantchester back to back.

Edited by spaceghostess
16 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Oh, my. Thanks much for that. Richard Madden is responsible for my having sat through that preposterously overstuffed and soapy Medicis thing on Netflix. It's really sad what I'll do for these GoT hotties. I also saw the pilot of an Amazon sci-fi thing he's in, which I can't for the life of me remember the name of right now. That wasn't too bad; I'm hoping they'll make more episodes.

ETA: I flove James Norton, too. Enjoyed the full range of his talents by watching Pleasant Valley and the first season of Grantchester back to back.

James Norton is insanely talented. And pretty.

Topic? Topic:

Richard Madden and his curls will be on Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams in an episode called "The Hood Maker", with his Lady Chatterly co-star Holliday Grainger. It airs on Amazon and Channel 4 in the UK. 

The Young Wolf is also in Oasis on Amazon:

• Love 1

Oasis--that's the one I was talking about! Still no word on whether it'll be picked up. Thanks for the heads-up on the Electric Dreams episode, which I should be able to get. Sadly, I cannot get Lady Chatterley (Doing it with Robb Stark) for hell or high water, as it's not available to stream. Same with The Frankenstein Chronicles, although at least my Roku acknowledges its existence, which affords me a shred of hope. 

Madden seems to have had no trouble getting interesting in work the last few years, which is great. I hope the rest of the younger end of the cast is as successful after next season.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

Oasis--that's the one I was talking about! Still no word on whether it'll be picked up. Thanks for the heads-up on the Electric Dreams episode, which I should be able to get. Sadly, I cannot get Lady Chatterley (Doing it with Robb Stark) for hell or high water, as it's not available to stream. Same with The Frankenstein Chronicles, although at least my Roku acknowledges its existence, which affords me a shred of hope. 

Madden seems to have had no trouble getting interesting in work the last few years, which is great. I hope the rest of the younger end of the cast is as successful after next season.

The Frankenstein Chronicles airs on A&E in the US, I think. (I'm in Canada and no longer have cable.) My point is that they might air repeats of the first season before the second airs. Also, ways and means. That's all I'll say.

I have a feeling, in addition to being pretty and pretty talented, Madden is benefiting being on the show that still has buzz  but not actually forced to have that schedule or location shooting. I don't know if the others will benefit as much (some are not as talented, for instance) because the buzz will die down once the show ends. Madden has the buzz glow without the inconvenience. He is also a mainstay in the British tabloids because he makes out with pretty girls. 

• Love 1

Watching Strike- notice two GOT alums

Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse Baratheon) plays Tansy Bestigui, a name I just like saying and hearing other people say.  She joins Iain Glenn and Richard Dormer in having a silky, silky voice.

And the PI Cormoran Strike goes to a club and talks to the on and off boyfriend of Lula Landry. I didn't recognize him at first because he didn't say, "I know I broke my oath. I know I'm a deserter. I should have gone back to the Wall and warned them, but... I saw what I saw... I saw the White Walkers."

But he could have. 

ETA- Dolorous Edd is in it, too. "Ah, look. More shit. I was starting to wonder what to do with the rest of me day."

(And Holliday Granger is in it- I've mentally cast her as Val in my alternative universe version of Game of Thrones, where my favourite so far minor character exists on the show.)

Edited by Pogojoco

If anyone is into guy on guy action (my not so guilty pleasure) or has heard of Queer as Folk, Aiden Gillen (Littlefinger) stars in the UK version as a promiscuous ad exec so who sleeps with a 15 year old (Charlie Hunnam also known as Jax Teller from Sons of Anarchy).  It is a great series and definitely worth a watch although those two as a couple make me giggle now.

They also star together in that new Arthur movie.

• Love 1

I'm three quarters of the way through something called Injustice, from 2010. It stars James Purefoy (Rome), but more importantly, we've got Kate Dickie (Lysa Arryn) and Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm) in smaller roles. KD has only had one scene so far, but JA appears in every episode as a belligerent, mouthy teen incarcerated in juvie. 

• Love 1

Iwan Rheon, aka  Ramsay Bolton, plays Maximus in the new  Marvel Cinematic Universe series Inhumans.  He looks slimmer and heavier bearded and serious. Haven't seen an evil twinkle in his eye, yet.

Edited by enoughcats

Peter Dinklage finally found a non-GOT project that doesn't suck. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, from Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths) has been getting great reviews and won the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival. I think it opens in November...? Red band trailer here.

I wonder in the long run which GOT actors and actresses, if any, will really break out and achieve big Hollywood success.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I wonder in the long run which GOT actors and actresses, if any, will really break out and achieve big Hollywood success.

I doubt it'll happen for any of them, so many TV stars try and fail. IMO, GOT being a fantasy series means that, despite its massive success, the actors can't start building a personal brand the way someone like Blake Lively was able to, surviving as a pretty and fashionable it girl who got her career boost and star image from Gossip Girl but wasn't limited to its audience. Emilia has had the biggest projects by far and one mid-level non-franchise hit (Me Before You), and even she reminds me of Sarah Michelle Gellar's success when the Buffy glow was still there and how it didn't translate into a longterm movie career; to the general public, she's still the Mother of Dragons or Khaleesi rather than Emilia Clarke (while Blake, despite not being a major success in Hollywood, quickly became trendy enough that people didn't need to know or care about her Gossip Girl character's name). I don't think Kit has really tried after Pompeii flopped, Sophie/Maisie have X-Men and Nathalie has Fast & Furious but those are supporting roles in franchises that aren't actor-driven, and Nikolaj is stuck being the first- or second-billed male actor in disposable B-stuff.

I think a plausible successful career for a GOT actor would be something like Sean Bean (a mix of movies of various budgets, ten years later people still recognize multiple roles you've played even if they don't remember your name right away) or Iain Glen (constant work in TV/film, smaller roles than Sean but still respected even if there was never that one role that really made you stand out in pop culture memorability or critical acclaim and boost you from character name only to actual mini-name status).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ElizaD said:

I doubt it'll happen for any of them, so many TV stars try and fail. IMO, GOT being a fantasy series means that, despite its massive success, the actors can't start building a personal brand the way someone like Blake Lively was able to, surviving as a pretty and fashionable it girl who got her career boost and star image from Gossip Girl but wasn't limited to its audience. Emilia has had the biggest projects by far and one mid-level non-franchise hit (Me Before You), and even she reminds me of Sarah Michelle Gellar's success when the Buffy glow was still there and how it didn't translate into a longterm movie career; to the general public, she's still the Mother of Dragons or Khaleesi rather than Emilia Clarke (while Blake, despite not being a major success in Hollywood, quickly became trendy enough that people didn't need to know or care about her Gossip Girl character's name). I don't think Kit has really tried after Pompeii flopped, Sophie/Maisie have X-Men and Nathalie has Fast & Furious but those are supporting roles in franchises that aren't actor-driven, and Nikolaj is stuck being the first- or second-billed male actor in disposable B-stuff.

I agree. I feel that like SMG, Emilia Clarke had her chance. Was Genisys for Emilia what Simply Irresistible was for SMG?