Type keyword(s) to search

Julie Chen: It's Cool If You Call Her Chenbot

• Start Topic

Given the option, I’m positive Julie will finish out the current BB season at the very least; to do otherwise would trash a professional reputation and career Julie has spent a lifetime building, especially so close to the end of the season.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I do wonder what the difference of leaving/staying between The Talk & Big Brother is? Les was the president of both CBS shows. Although, there is a different president of daytime I think. Is it because on The Talk she can’t avoid topics of subject matters like this & Big Brother is a stupid reality show where she’s just a host? I guess with Big Brother winding down she might just want to finish it out and then quit that, too. It should be interesting.

"I want to focus on taking care of my son and not spending another minute talking to people like Raven and Rockstar."

• Love 11

It's interesting, b/c The View -- and likely other posters -- predicted this after Julie's week-ago sign-off. They said it would be impossible for her to return to The Talk, because ... what is she going to say when they talk about women and their husbands? Or relationship issues? Or the #MeToo movement? That she had essentially lost all credibility on women's issues now.

I never thought The View was a bastion of intellect, but they called that one.

• Love 8

I really don't see there being any sort of backlash if she's let go. She's never been very respected or popular and that "sources" are emphasizing her loyalty to her husband and refusal to believe his victims, basically gives CBS all the cover they need to say that they can't keep someone on staff who doesn't respect the seriousness of sexual assault. 

They'll wrap up this season and then probably announce her leaving within the next two weeks. 

• Love 6

And really, how long does hosting BB really take?  Its essentially once a week.  Sure she can watch the feeds, or a mashup of the feeds from her home if necessary.  That show has nothing to do with current events like The Talk.

Do we really believe that she left on her own though? I have a feeling she was allowed to leave on her own terms but no option to stay due to the reasons above as to why it would be bad for her to remain on that type of show.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/17/media/julie-chen-leaving-the-talk/index.html

"She has decided that her main focus needs to be clearing her husband's name from accusations made 25-30 years ago and tending to her son," one of the sources said.

Good luck with that. Is she launching a counter-investigation? Chen vs. Farrow!

I definitely think she'll finish out the BB season/week, but I highly doubt she will return to CBS, whether it's her choice, or theirs. And I guess I'm in the minority, because I think BB will do just fine without her, if it even gets renewed. She's been a big part of the show, but at the same time, her actual role is pretty minimal (I know many will disagree). I watch for the looney tune HGs, feeds, and repetitive competitions, not the host. 

I hope BB sticks around, but it will be interesting to see if CBS goes in a different direction. I would LOVE to see the show get a face lift though, if it comes back.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 8

It's interesting that she did her GBM for The Talk from the BB set. The BB set must really be a different entity for her and from CBS. Which is odd since BB is on CBS. I'm kind of confused by it to tell you the truth. I thought she would do the message from some different location.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 5

For those who hadn’t seen it already - quoted from another thread:

52 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

Julie officially leaves "The Talk"- rumors are she is going to be staying with Big Brother for the foreseeable future. But no definite plans on that yet. 

I would love it if BB got a wholesale makeover that would include Julie leaving. I mean, come on Julie. Clear his name? Are you serious? Just make a non-comittal statement of general support for your kid's father, and then zip it. Clean house entirely - especially that hack Grodner. And Robyn Kass too. I just adore Ross and would love for a true fan to host this, but Mark McGrath would be acceptable as well. If not Ross or Mark, then I could tolerate Will, but definitely no Jeff!

• Love 10

The show is in desperate need of a overhaul.  Expected the unexpected is a joke.    Everyone expects, OTEV, expects Zingbot, expects one of the first four to battle to return, expects a jury battle backs, expects the comics, expects when to hang on a wall, expects a double eviction.   These get changed up a little bit but it's all pretty monotonous at this point.  There so many twists in international versions they could implement to keep the HGs off balance and make things interesting.  They need to do something to make the HGs interact in more than a pure game way (part of the reason I miss the food comps is because people were randomly mixed and you might be working with an enemy).  They need to change up the end game somehow so it's not so boring and predictable and you don't get down the final 4 or 5 and it's a forgone conclusion of who will make it to the final 3.   I know the hacker twist didn't land well, but it was better than the power apps and if things had gone different (it wasn't won by someone in an alliance with the HOH and the other had been won by someone who didn't crack when their gambit failed) it could have shook things up.  I appreciate it for being something different.  Really the whole thing is stale--the comps, the house, the casting and yes I'm sad to say even Julie.  She hasn't even gotten a catch phrase upgrade in 20 years.  

• Love 12

If I was Julie, I’d leave, too.  Why stay?   Her career is basically over at CBS.  

I’d bet they asked her to leave The Talk. They either bought out her contract or let her out of it.  She needed to finish her contract at BB and CBS knew they’d get backlash from cutting her from the show. 

Wish her all the best. 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, LGGirl said:

I’d bet they asked her to leave The Talk. They either bought out her contract or let her out of it.

I presume she still had a choice; in the video, she's nodding her head in affirmation when she says she decided to leave (as opposed to when she shakes her head "no", especially at some of the BS most people feel compelled to say in a speech like that).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I would love it if BB got a wholesale makeover that would include Julie leaving. I mean, come on Julie. Clear his name? Are you serious? Just make a non-comittal statement of general support for your kid's father, and then zip it. Clean house entirely - especially that hack Grodner. And Robyn Kass too. I just adore Ross and would love for a true fan to host this, but Mark McGrath would be acceptable as well. If not Ross or Mark, then I could tolerate Will, but definitely no Jeff!

Alla dis (and what Maverick said). Make it a DE and get rid of Grodner—she's had a (far too) long run and getting somebody new would mean trimming the EP salary in the budget. More money for a new sink!

I guess we'll see. Regime change is unpredictable and sometimes leaves you regretting what you wished for. But I'll take my chances on booting Groddy. The pile-up of production snafus helped make this season memorable and all, but they don't exactly look good on the résumé. You should be good at your job by now, Allison.

• Love 8

We DO NOT want to lose Julie folks because you know what will mean...Allison Grodner would be salivating over  replacing her with one of her pet assholes like Paul or "Big" Jeff or god forbid snooze fest Derrick since he's already a TV personality now with his ID show.

• Love 3

I really don't see them picking a former HG for the role. And I also don't think Grodner would get much say. This would be over her head. I just don't see them wanting anyone too ott like Rachel or Ross. They need a stabilizing presence who can keep things moving. I'd put money on another Julie, aka someone already with CBS with hosting experience, and probably under 40, to keep appealing to that younger demo. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

We DO NOT want to lose Julie folks because you know what will mean...Allison Grodner would be salivating over  replacing her with one of her pet assholes like Paul or "Big" Jeff or god forbid snooze fest Derrick since he's already a TV personality now with his ID show.

CBS will have the last say, not Grodner.  And Grodner needs to go too.  And I want a mature host, not a younger one.  It already is way too skewed to the airheads.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Neveragain said:

Am I the only one who likes Jeff? I think he’s personable and knowledgeable about the game, and has a true connection to it. I’d rather that than some rando host 

I liked him until he revealed his homophobia. 

• Love 3
On 9/18/2018 at 7:30 AM, Eolivet said:

It's interesting, b/c The View -- and likely other posters -- predicted this after Julie's week-ago sign-off. They said it would be impossible for her to return to The Talk, because ... what is she going to say when they talk about women and their husbands? Or relationship issues? Or the #MeToo movement? That she had essentially lost all credibility on women's issues now.

I never thought The View was a bastion of intellect, but they called that one.

I see the possible cancellation of the View because Les kept it going just for Julie. For me, the View's Emmies where bought and paid for.  Big Brother can survive without Julie even if it's picked up by another network.  If it is, I hope BBAD goes back to Showtime. POP sucks. They cut away every 10 minutes for 4 minutes of commercials. 

11 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

So tonight Julie signed off as Chen Moonves but my closed captioning only said Chen.  Even the closed captioning is like “Bitch, no.”

Did anyone else notice that when she signed off last night, she gave a small chuckle after saying her name - I mean, it was a tiny gesture but I noticed it immediately because it seemed a bit unprofessional, and then I thought - is she laughing at CBS?  At us?  At her bank account?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Did anyone else notice that when she signed off last night, she gave a small chuckle after saying her name - I mean, it was a tiny gesture but I noticed it immediately because it seemed a bit unprofessional, and then I thought - is she laughing at CBS?  At us?  At her bank account?

Maybe the new regime asked her to NOT sign off that way and she pulled the old Joan Crawford "Don't FUCK with me fellas!" and did it anyway?

*SHRUG*  She and Les are worth close to a billion $$, so what does she care?

Does this now mean its ok if I call her Chenbot-Moonves?

Edited by HighMaintenance
  • Love 3

Only a select few people on Planet Earth got any notion of what’s actually going to happen after this season, and none of them work for a media outlet - so I’m done worrying about it for now.  Anything ANY rag is publishing on the subject at this juncture is little more than clickbait.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Only a select few people on Planet Earth got any notion of what’s actually going to happen after this season, and none of them work for a media outlet - so I’m done worrying about it for now.  Anything ANY rag is publishing on the subject at this juncture is little more than clickbait.

I would add to that that I don't care what she calls herself Chen,  Chen - Moonves,  or "stick a feather in her cap and call her 'Macaroni.'"  I'm done with the Julie drama, over it.

ETA: Yeah well,  when a thread lights up I just gotta read it.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 4