Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

I live in California and remember discussing the left turn case with my three children when this first aired. All three (CHP, Sheriff Deputy, and City Police) said it was illegal to pull Into the intersection and wait. My daughter cited not only safety but the passage of emergency vehicles thru the intersection.

• Love 2

We have had this left turn discussion at least three times on this forum.  Those of us with legal knowledge - lawyers, police - have all chimed in to say Don't Pull Into the Intersection.

I'm still torn on this one. Here in NYC, certain intersections if you don't pull up, you don't get home. You'll be sitting at that light for days.

• Love 4

From the NY State DMV:

You want to turn left at an intersection ahead. A vehicle reaches the intersection from the opposite direction and moves straight ahead. You must wait for approaching traffic to go through before you turn. You may enter the intersection, however, to prepare for your left turn if the light is green and no other vehicle ahead of you plans to make  a left turn (see "Turns" later in this chapter). When you enter the intersection, keep to the right of the center line. Keep your wheels straight to prevent a push into oncoming traffic if a rear-end collision occurs. When traffic headed toward you  clears or stops for a red light, complete your turn.

It's not even a matter of whether, in NY, you'll be sitting there forever (which you will.) It's actually allowed by law.

• Love 5

You might not be issued a citation for violating traffic laws.  You will very likely be held civilly liable to the other driver in the event of an accident.   There's a difference between "legally permitted" and "smart and safe."

• Love 2

Isn't that true of pretty much everything? It's legally permitted to drive the speed limit, but if there's an accident because you were doing so and it wasn't "smart and safe", you've got a problem. Judgement is everything (and I wasn't paying close enough attention to this case to know who, if anyone, was using good judgement).

I learned to drive in NY (not the city, but the 'burbs) and I was taught it was permissible to enter an intersection when waiting to make a left. That said, around here (still NY), it depends on the intersection on whether or not I actually do it. And even if it is legal in that jurisdiction, considering the plaintiff was going straight, it looks like the defendant was too far over to the left (his left) to make it safe.

That issue aside, based on the photographs of the damage to the defendant's car, I didn't have any problems with JJ's ruling. I'm no accident reconstruction expert, but it looked like the whole front of the defendant's car was banged up and crumpled. To me, that indicates that he was the one who hit the plaintiff's car and sent him flying, not that the plaintiff was speeding in a straight line and happened to swipe part of his car.

I'm not an accident reconstruction expert nor a physicist. We had a similar accident occur a couple of years ago on a major roadway. It was a police car going 85 mph on a 50 mph road and a car going the speed limit.  The car was changing lanes when the cop car crashed into it. After the impact, the cop car  skidded across 3 lanes  and slammed into a traffic light pole. The cop died on impact. So based on that, I would say the plaintiff was speeding and the defendant was going at a much slower speed when they collided, which is why the plaintiff's car went air-born, flew over a fence and slammed into a headstone.

• Love 3

It's too bad that the aerial video of the boys' accident wasn't usable. 

Even if JJ is not well-versed in physics, she proved today that she does know a thing or two about SS/Medicaid fraud. Her questions, in their specific sequence, revealed that the man with a disability was siphoning money to his relatives who were so-called home health aides. Poor Mr. OB -- no paycheck AND his foot gets run over.  But OB was lookin' fresh with his nice suit and coordinated tie and pocket square.

• Love 8

she proved today that she does know a thing or two about SS/Medicaid fraud.

Wheelchair boy was scammin' and has been for many years. I guess he and his relatives split the money he gets for his "caretakers", including his uncle, who has zero qualifications to be a caretaker.  You would think he'd rather pay Obi than present himself as picking the pockets of taxpayers all these years, but I guess not. I have a friend who, very sadly, has advanced MD and even she cannot get paid care for 20 hrs a day, probably because of parasites like the def. who milk the system for everything they can.

• Love 5

Wheelchair guy is one of the most repellent litigants I have ever seen on JJ. Anyone milking his status as a disabled person to exploit other people and scam the system can only be considered as the lowest of sleazeballs.

It's disgusting that public money goes to supporting him and his co-scamming relatives; if that assistance dries up, there's probably a good chance they will desert him. If that happens, I can't say I would find it in myself to feel sorry for him.

He gives all legitimate public money claimants a very bad name by association. I hope they find someone as consciencious as Obi to take care of them.

• Love 6

Did anyone catch the landlord/tenant rerun from 2012? I don't remember seeing this case the first time around.

Margaret, around sixty, allowed her friend Christa (about the same age) to stay at her home for a few days, which turned into three months.

JJ seemed to really dislike Margaret, even though Christa spoke out of turn (and got smacked down) three times.

I couldn't tell if Christa was a total slob and mooch, or if Margaret was an irrational control freak. One thing is for certain...that "antique hobby horse" is hideous.

• Love 2

Did anyone catch the landlord/tenant rerun from 2012? I don't remember seeing this case the first time around.

Margaret, around sixty, allowed her friend Christa (about the same age) to stay at her home for a few days, which turned into three months.

JJ seemed to really dislike Margaret, even though Christa spoke out of turn (and got smacked down) three times.

I couldn't tell if Christa was a total slob and mooch, or if Margaret was an irrational control freak. One thing is for certain...that "antique hobby horse" is hideous.

I think both options are correct: one's rather a slob & the other is a bit of a control freak. What surprised me about the case is that I would think at this point in their lives, they would have enough self-awareness to know this living arrangement simply would not work. A shame. I liked both of them & thought their differences could benefit one another as friends.

Any parents who name their kid Richard Stiff must have hated him.

HaHAHAHAAAAhahaaaahahahaaaaahaha *inhale* HAAAAHAhahaahaaahahahaaaaahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Kitchen! Sometimes you just tickle me so!

• Love 3

I'm not torn at all.  We've had this discussion before, folks.  Not gonna sit at a light forever.

Where I live, we have markings in our intersections to tell you exactly where to pull up to while you wait. It's not illegal; it's encouraged! To be fair, I never saw this practice of pulling into an intersection before I moved to AZ. So it's not legal everywhere, but is legal in some places.

Wheelchair guy is one of the most repellent litigants I have ever seen on JJ. Anyone milking his status as a disabled person to exploit other people and scam the system can only be considered as the lowest of sleazeballs.

It's disgusting that public money goes to supporting him and his co-scamming relatives; if that assistance dries up, there's probably a good chance they will desert him. If that happens, I can't say I would find it in myself to feel sorry for him.

He gives all legitimate public money claimants a very bad name by association. I hope they find someone as consciencious as Obi to take care of them.

I saw this case for the first time last night and agree that he was repugnant. His hallterview was even more troubling since he admitted he owes the money. Just once, I'd like JJ to come out and confront one of these jackasses during a hallterview.
  • Love 5

Wheelchair ass might have entered a countersuit to try to intimidate the plaintiff, and when that didn't work, he decided to see if he could con JJ.  No matter what, he actually wouldn't have to pay out, the show would do that for him.  He wouldn't even have to worry about his grifting ways affecting his ability to hire future employees, since there're always people out there to scam.

I think I remember that one of the amounts of money he loaned the plaintiff was money for an FBI background check.  Was that correct?  I've had to have a background check done before, and it didn't cost me a dime.  On that job, I wouldn't be allowed to work until the check came back clean, but this guy already had the plaintiff in his home working while they waited for the background check to come through.  Have things changed, or am I not remembering the case correctly?

In Canada that is a criminal record check and it costs 46 dollars and every job seems to want one. 

I loved today's motorcycle case because of its relevance to me, and I'm sorry JJ there is no way to anticipate that. 

I loved it because it is exactly what happened to us. We were turning left and everything was clear except for a motorcyclist who out of nowhere zoomed up at high speed past the other cars and hit us broadside. 

My husband was 30 years no accident. This kid was his first day on a motorcycle and it was his second accident that day but we were charged because we were turning left. At what point is there zero anticipation or avoidance for stupid?

The boy was jumping up and down yelling 'he hit me, I can't believe he hit me' even tho there was his imprint on the side of our vehicle. Luckily he and his girlfriend were not hurt and I often wonder if he lived to see 20. 

I am really glad JJ assigned blame to him. 

• Love 1

In Canada that is a criminal record check and it costs 46 dollars and every job seems to want one.

I loved today's motorcycle case because of its relevance to me, and I'm sorry JJ there is no way to anticipate that.

I loved it because it is exactly what happened to us. We were turning left and everything was clear except for a motorcyclist who out of nowhere zoomed up at high speed past the other cars and hit us broadside.

My husband was 30 years no accident. This kid was his first day on a motorcycle and it was his second accident that day but we were charged because we were turning left. At what point is there zero anticipation or avoidance for stupid?

The boy was jumping up and down yelling 'he hit me, I can't believe he hit me' even tho there was his imprint on the side of our vehicle. Luckily he and his girlfriend were not hurt and I often wonder if he lived to see 20.

I am really glad JJ assigned blame to him.

That's terrible! I'm mad just reading about it....

• Love 1

Little lady with a bob and draped in fine lace vs. Israeli Eggplant:

Criminy, those ecigs must be bloody addictive that this woman would hustle so hard to get her fix.

What idiots would take up this habit?

I used e-cigs to quit real cigs. I'm not an idiot at all.
  • Love 3

Drinking on meds - It's a good thing that the car mentioned in the first case was totaled...that kid should not be driving.  He could hardly stay awake. Oh, and JJ's grandkids are just waiting for her jewelry.

Pretty Boy git 'em, Pretty Boy git 'em -  Even though those folks came from Maryland, that case made me feel like country came to town. 

Do Whachoo Gotta Do - The defendant from the third case  was a relative of Wanda Wayne of In Living Color.  (www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TCp2jcISUw)

The next episode was a rerun. Two former friends decided to move, with their families, into a house together. One of the friends repeatedly paid the expenses (even when she hadn't lived there yet) while the other friend told her to not expect any repayment. Next case was about medical expenses for an 18-year-old who got knocked up. JJ told the teen's mother that it wasn't mandatory for the ex-boyfriend to pay the bills, and they should go figure out child support. The last case featured a trying-to-be-sexy woman in a court-inappropriate miniskirt and a full chest tattoo and a nicely-dressed family who she accused of driving the wrong way. She said the annoying and overused, "It is what it is" in the hallterview, which means that she was found at fault.

• Love 2

Reruns!

The case where Sailor Moon and her mother sued Tuxedo Mask. I'm serious, though. What was up with homegirl's and her mother's raccoon-ass eye shadow. They looked like they got their ass kicked by Estee Lauder.

Bad Girls Club reject with the kaleidoscope chest tattoo! I think I said last time that she has a Fruitopia commercial on her clavicle like it's fierce. That was mean.

The people with the Lincoln town car suing their son for wrecking their car. The dude's father has a restraining order for his son who lives in his house? The fuck? I believe judges will award anybody any kind of restraining order they ask for. Had I been the judge who heard their case I would've told him, "man get your bitch ass outta my court room!"

And the lady suing her best friend for...something. Geez. I spent the whole time thinking two things:

1) Ha, her name is Nikita. I bet everybody calls her 'Kita.

2) Her and her "boyfriend" (grown ass man who loiters around the place his girlfriend shares with her friend...is not a prize) both have dusty ass dreads? I bet their beds stank. I'm just saying. It probably smells like ass, must, and kente oil.

• Love 7

a trying-to-be-sexy woman in a court-inappropriate miniskirt and a full chest tattoo

Okay, the overly made up Ms. New Joisy had to be either a prositute or a lap dancer who, for some reason, felt that wearing a skin-tight skirt that camethisclose to baring her ass cheeks would somehow sway JJ in her favour. It didn't.  

Next case was about medical expenses for an 18-year-old who got knocked up.

(Intones in voice of TPC Hall Clown) This is the case of "The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree". Mommy and Baby Girl are huge - and I mean HUGE - fans of eye makeup, but unfortunately not of birth control

Ha, her name is Nikita. I bet everybody calls her 'Kita.

Her mom was a really big fan of...the Cold War? Okay, probably not...

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

How about no-money, no-credit, no-car, Outback-lovin', not-a-paparazzo Fernando Escovar? Jennifer, girlfriend...what were you thinking? You can do way better than that.

Reruns!

The case where Sailor Moon and her mother sued Tuxedo Mask. I'm serious, though. What was up with homegirl's and her mother's raccoon-ass eye shadow. They looked like they got their ass kicked by Estee Lauder.

Bad Girls Club reject with the kaleidoscope chest tattoo! I think I said last time that she has a Fruitopia commercial on her clavicle like it's fierce. That was mean.

The people with the Lincoln town car suing their son for wrecking their car. The dude's father has a restraining order for his son who lives in his house? The fuck? I believe judges will award anybody any kind of restraining order they ask for. Had I been the judge who heard their case I would've told him, "man get your bitch ass outta my court room!"

And the lady suing her best friend for...something. Geez. I spent the whole time thinking two things:

1) Ha, her name is Nikita. I bet everybody calls her 'Kita.

2) Her and her "boyfriend" (grown ass man who loiters around the place his girlfriend shares with her friend...is not a prize) both have dusty ass dreads? I bet their beds stank. I'm just saying. It probably smells like ass, must, and kente oil.

Omg....Sailor Moon!! I read this post before I watched the case and couldn't stop giggling. Spot on, 27bored!

How about no-money, no-credit, no-car,

I didn't get that case, but that's a pretty generic description of 87% of litigants, isn't it?

The case where Sailor Moon and her mother sued Tuxedo Mask.

I had to look that up, but once I did, I was all like, basically "LOL".

• Love 1

If your kid is assaulting you, verbally or otherwise, to the point where you need a restraining order against him, let him be freaking homeless. It's better than him snapping and killing you in your sleep one day. My house is my respite from the craziness of the world. There's no way on earth I'd let someone else make me feel intimated in my own home, regardless of their relationship to me. Hell to the no.

• Love 11
If your kid is assaulting you, verbally or otherwise, to the point where you need a restraining order against him, let him be freaking homeless. It's better than him snapping and killing you in your sleep one day. My house is my respite from the craziness of the world. There's no way on earth I'd let someone else make me feel intimated in my own home, regardless of their relationship to me. Hell to the no.

There was probably more to that story than we know. The kid is on meds and apparently hits the sauce a bit. His dad is on disability, which: who knows? Mom seems like the only one who has her shit together more or less. There was another guy sitting on the parents' side that didn't say anything. It could be a thing of the parents doing a shitty job of raising their kid, then when he gets of a certain age, it's kind of hard to institute tough love and tell him to get his shit together. It's necessary, but how fair is it? The kid didn't raise himself.

Since the dad doesn't work, it doesn't make sense to put a lot of money into an old car just because. It's one thing to keep it in running condition, but old cars are money pits at a certain point. And it seemed like they wound up putting more into the car than it was worth before the kid totaled it.

Mom seems like the only one who has her shit together more or less.

Maybe by comparison, but I'm not so sure about that. Her husband is disabled and on meds, her son is disabled, on meds, drives drunk and needs a restraining order put on him, and she's waving around a paper and harping that the 20 year old car will one day be a "classic' = worth bunches of money. 

Did we find out if she's disabled, too?

Elton John songs?

*Slaps forehead* You're so right. The only "Nikita" mom would know about is from an old pop song, and of course she didn't know it's a man's name.

• Love 2

A 20-year-old Lincoln Town Car is just that: old. Not "classic." Collectors go for those big, boxy models from the 1970s and earlier. I'm still trying to figure out how someone can take out a restraining order on another person who lives in the same house. They promise not to bump into one another in the hallway en route to the bathroom or something?

• Love 3

*Slaps forehead* You're so right. The only "Nikita" mom would know about is from an old pop song, and of course she didn't know it's a man's name.

There's also La Femme Nikita from the late 90's, based on 90 film Nikita, but I'm not sure if any JJ litigants would watch Euro-films. (And I can't remember the people now, the ages are probably wrong for it to be an influence. :) )

Then again, looking up Elton John's song on Wiki, the video for Nikita [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_(song)#Video_settings_and_song_information] cast Nikita as an actress.[/url] 

• Love 2

I'm sorry, I felt that the woman was a bitch when they guy said they went out to Outback and she said, "Big spender." Bitch.

Rick Kitchen, I'm going to stick up for Jennifer. The program didn't go into the back story of how they met, etc. But that guy struck me as the type who goes on eHarmony and Match.com and poses for all it's worth. Celebrity photographer with a million-dollar house, my ass! More likely he still lives with his mother and takes pictures with his cell phone.

I didn't interpret her response to the Outback comment as bitchery or snobbery, just disgust with the whole situation.

(Edited to correct the autocorrect)

Edited by Intocats
  • Love 1

More likely he still lives with his mother and takes pictures with his cell phone.

I figured he was one of those freelance stringers for TMZ.  He may live in a $1,000,000 house in Toluca Lake, but I bet he and 10 other similarly employed people split the rent and have trouble raising the full amount every month.

Next on Judge Judy, WhathisName and friends are sued by their landlord for non-payment of rent and massive property damage (more than the security deposit will cover).

• Love 2

JJ needed a whip and a chair to preside over the Lakesha (sporting a huge, creepy and inappropriate grin) vs the Kings, none of whom could grasp what STFU means. I did enjoy Mr. King, looking like the evil twin of Chuck Berry, thinking that the proper response to "Do you understand me?" is "I ain't chillin'." I think I heard that correctly. Maybe it was "Imma chillin'?" Anyone know for sure?

I was shocked to see that Lakesha is a paralegal. Really, with that horrific grammar? Can one be a paralegal with no education?  Guess I should get used to the New World.

• Love 8

I was shocked to see that Lakesha is a paralegal. Really, with that horrific grammar? Can one be a paralegal with no education?  Guess I should get used to the New World.

Some of the legal assistants I have had over the years would make you weep. 

• Love 2

Stewed I liked the pap/lab case, too. I once had a rescue pap. So I get how sweet they are.

On the snark side, Why Oh Why? Do older women with thin lips insist on wearing dark lipstick??? It makes you look like the evil bitch you are.

And yes! When you don't pick up your dogs doots out of my yard, I will return them to you! I walk two 70# greyhounds (alway on leash) and I pick up and schlep their stinky piles all the way back to my own garbage can. I may gag a bit, but damn ....why should a neighbor have to deal?

Poor guy trying to eek out a living and pay childcare. It has to be rough. Where is piece o shit mother and her child support?

• Love 2

On the snark side, Why Oh Why? Do older women with thin lips insist on wearing dark lipstick??? It makes you look like the evil bitch you are.

I say the same thing about knot-kneed girls and leggings. Upside-down-Y looking ass....

• Love 2

Where is piece o shit mother and her child support?

You know that in JudgeJudyLand, only men are required to pay child support, not that most of them ever do, but still... Every time JJ asks some deadbeat mom if she pays child support, the reaction is always a look that screams, "Of course not! I'm a girl and girls don't have to pay for stuff!"

Some of the legal assistants I have had over the years would make you weep.

I guess we really need to get used to it.  I was speaking with a paralegal last week and had she said "Had came" or "I seen", I think I might have taken my business elsewhere, thinking any credentials she has must be bogus (or "blogus").

• Love 2

My assistant once came into my office to say "I have a fax for you on the Chain file."  I said "I have no file by that name."   She said "Yes you do, it's with Lawyer X and Lawyer Y, and you're getting ready for ABC...."  I knew exactly what file she meant, and it wasn't Chain. I asked "How do you spell the name on the letter?"  "C A I N".  I asked what word that spelled, and she looked at me, puzzled.  I told her to sound it out. She said "I don't know how to do that." 

• Love 3

I told her to sound it out. She said "I don't know how to do that."

In a conversation about a recent study that showed that in the workplace the 20-34 age group struggles the most with computer applications. (I know I was like, what?) The stories about a college educated 30 year old who was confused by excel and didn't think MSWord made any sense really boggled my mind.  This is why I work remote.  

• Love 3