Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Well, if I were looking for a super-sexy, skin-tight, plunging-neckline dress, I'm not sure I would go to someone wearing a hijab as my first choice for a seamstress.  Makes as much sense as hiring a vegan caterer to put together your barbeque party.  

This is NOT a dig against Muslims or those who wear a hijab.  My favorite contestant on Project Runway this season is Muslim and her "niche" is modest clothing.  She has made some beautiful garments; some of them are tight, but they are still considered modest - not showing much skin.  I felt that the prom dress falls into that category - tight (and bright), but with more coverage than Promzilla Mom expected.  Maybe daughter didn't want to show up with all her goods hanging out.

Of course, the seamstress could have turned down the job, but I really wonder if Promzilla Mom asked to see pictures of other sexy stuff the seamstress has made.  

• Love 14

JJ and I disagree on a lot, but I totally am with her when she bitches at people who cohabitate and mingle possessions, assets and debt, then come to court and want the court to make them whole. And lots of them have kids together to boot, which mystifies me. Dude who put his crazy ex on the deed, then she gets a TRO and throws him out, no sympathy here for either one. 

I have no time for mamas of teens who spend more on fugly prom dresses than most spend on their wedding gown. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sarcastico said:

...which in turn leads to ridiculous wedding extravaganzas.

And ones for grandiose funerals also. Which leads to annoyingly teary brides or grieving relatives becoming litigants because they threw thousands of dollars at a supplier to fulfill social expectations, and then decided that the services they got were not up to their inflated expectations.

Cases involving wigs that somehow end up looking as cheap as they cost, to the dumb buyer's surprise, are similarly annoying. 

56 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Dude who put his crazy ex on the deed, then she gets a TRO and throws him out, no sympathy here for either one. 

One is an idiot, the other someone who abuses the situation and takes advantage of others. Although they are both to blame, I would assign more of it to the latter and apportion damages accordingly, where legally possible.

• Love 3

I didn't go to my prom (nor did anyone in my close friend group) and the world kept spinning.  If I had gone, and wanted a dress that cost more than $40, (this was a loooong time ago) my mother would have strongly suggested I line up some babysitting jobs.

• Love 16
54 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Although goofy names made for some good snark back in the Toddlers and Tiaras days. I would hazard a bet that there's a lot of overlap in the Venn diagram of "JJ litigants" and "pageant families"

Venn diagram - ack! Flashback to college algebra course for English majors. 

• Love 2

I am another who did not go to the Prom, yet mysteriously survived and became productive and successful.  lol  My middle niece rented her prom dresses, and always had gorgeous ones.  I think the rental was around $100 each time, and the dresses she chose would have easily exceeded that.  Then you just dry clean and return, and don't have an $800 dress you won't wear again.  Oh and  there isn't just one prom anymore...you have Junior Prom and if you date a guy older, you go to his Prom, then your own.    Prom Mom was ridiculous and her it isn't fair tirade made me laugh.  Did they mention how much time in advance they went to the dressmaker?  Was it another 2 weeks before Prom deal?

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I didn't go to my prom (nor did anyone in my close friend group) and the world kept spinning.  If I had gone, and wanted a dress that cost more than $40, (this was a loooong time ago) my mother would have strongly suggested I line up some babysitting jobs.

I went to my high school graduation dance.  I had been babysitting since I was twelve so was flush with money, which was lucky since I had to buy my own dress (which was not skintight, transparent, and had no feathers or plunging neckline) and shoes. No limo either. We had to walk there because none of our parents had cars. Somehow I survived all that without therapy.

1 hour ago, Sarcastico said:

...which in turn leads to ridiculous wedding extravaganzas.

In all these ridiculous prom/wedding extravaganzas, it's always the Dragon Moms who are "devastated" and want all the money back if one of the roses is wilted or a local, amateur seamstress can't copy exactly a trashy 10K$ Kardashian-type dress on a 400$ budget for their little angels.

1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

I would propose that they may be trying to live their prom dreams through their daughters, perhaps because they never had the one they wanted.

I have no doubt is this it exactly. It's like the hysterical, gorgon moms who tart up their little girls and parade them around in fashion shows for pedos to ogle and fantasize about.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Sarcastico said:

Had to be from Baltimore.  Only in Charm City do they say, "warsh."

The garish colors in the prom dress case were hurting my peepers.  Between the mother's suit; the prom dress itself; and the seamstress' outfit, I could barely watch.  Seamstress did have nice dimples, though.

I always noticed John McCain said "Warshington". Stuck out as an odd pronounciation but will admit being from Boston I pronounce it "Wahshintun". Havent been any good cases featuring people from Mass lately have there? I'm a bit behind but I'll be sure to check out Macaroni Eyebrows.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Times have changed, y'all.

Indeed.  My husband was in the room during that episode and he says "That's a prom dress?"  We're both 72, and prom dresses back in the day were notable for the petticoats and layers of chiffon.  Hell, if we had shown cleavage, we would have been sent home.

If mom really wanted her money back, she should have had a photo of daughter in the dress, so we could see how it looked on a body, not a hanger. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sarcastico said:

Had to be from Baltimore.  Only in Charm City do they say, "warsh."

Maybe in Maryland but warsh is relatively common in large areas of the country.  Sometimes I wish people would stop paying so much attention to dialects and colloquialisms.  We all talk differently.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Ugh, would every single dang litigant shut up with the "It is what it is"!

I usually take ot to mean "I don't have anything meaningful or relevant to say to say, so I will throw this one out 'cause I think it makes me look like a deep thinker".

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

It's like the hysterical, gorgon moms who tart up their little girls and parade them around in fashion shows for pedos to ogle and fantasize about.

I do not think we often see, if ever, cases involving kiddie pageant shows. Which is surprising considering how in news reports on this phenomenon, parents often come across as stereotypical stage mothers (and fathers) to the nth power, ready to claim that the judging was biased, that the lightning or audio was deliberately deficient in an attempt to sabotage their little darlings, etc. Perhaps some TV judges have drawn a line at hearing such cases.

Going back to Prom Mom, didn't she say at the end, after whining about how unfair JJ was when it became clear how she was going to rule, that she wished to go back to another court? Does anyone know if their contract with the show allows plaintiffs to withdraw their claim and refile in their jurisdiction; JJ has the discretion to dismiss a case without prejudice, but what leeway do litigants have?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I didn't either but if I had, my mom would have made my dress. There is a small chance we would have gone to Montgomery Ward but I doubt it!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I have no time for mamas of teens who spend more on fugly prom dresses than most spend on their wedding gown. 

Reminds of the case where mommy threw a beach party and claimed she brought sand to make a beach... Think it was on TPC, not JJ

• Love 1

Going back to Prom Mom, didn't she say at the end, after whining about how unfair JJ was when it became clear how she was going to rule, that she wished to go back to another court? Does anyone know if their contract with the show allows plaintiffs to withdraw their claim and refile in their jurisdiction; JJ has the discretion to dismiss a case without prejudice, but what leeway do litigants have?

I've seen the judges say "That's your prerogative."

• Love 1

I usually take ot to mean "I don't have anything meaningful or relevant to say to say, so I will throw this one out 'cause I think it makes me look like a deep thinker".

I do not think we often see, if ever, cases involving kiddie pageant shows. Which is surprising considering how in news reports on this phenomenon, parents often come across as stereotypical stage mothers (and fathers) to the nth power, ready to claim that the judging was biased, that the lightning or audio was deliberately deficient in an attempt to sabotage their little darlings, etc. Perhaps some TV judges have drawn a line at hearing such cases.

When you fill out papers for a small claims court, you are asked whether the case has already been adjudicated or settled by negotiation. The plaintiff may lie and say no, but I'm pretty sure the defendant would bring out a tape of the show to prove otherwise.

• Love 2

Going back to Prom Mom, didn't she say at the end, after whining about how unfair JJ was when it became clear how she was going to rule, that she wished to go back to another court?

No lawyer here, but it's stated that the litigants agree to abide by the binding arbitration here and that the decisions are final.

• Love 4

When you fill out papers for a small claims court, you are asked whether the case has already been adjudicated or settled by negotiation. 

Not in any jurisdiction where I have ever practised.  The defendant can plead res judicata - the issue is already adjudicated. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

No lawyer here, but it's stated that the litigants agree to abide by the binding arbitration here and that the decisions are final.

That's if there is a formal decision in the case. If JJ (or any other TV judge) dismisses the case without prejudice, then litigants can refile because it means there has been no final adjudication. I was wondering if JJ's litigants are afforded a similar freedom to what she has. In real small claims court (or other tribunals I have dealt with) a plaintiff can choose to withdraw an action up until the decision is officially rendered.

In the Prom Mom case, JJ did not follow up on plaintiff's muterrings about having her case heard in another court.

41 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

In the Prom Mom case, JJ did not follow up on plaintiff's muterrings about having her case heard in another court.

Didn't JJ just say, "Good luck with that" in response to the plaintiff's comment about going to another court?  JJ knows the issue is now dead for everyone but Promzilla Mom.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Didn't JJ just say, "Good luck with that" in response to the plaintiff's comment about going to another court?  JJ knows the issue is now dead for everyone but Promzilla Mom.

Yes, she did say that. The litigants here agree to the binding arbitation. People can't just run from court to court when they don't like a decision.

Cindy and Chennel? Yes, JJ, they're boring all right but highly irritating on top of it. Cindy thinks she's some cute little girl, with her Baby Jane giggles and titters - a business woman who says coyly that she has no head for numbers. At your age that is not precious, Cindy. You just look and sound like a fool. You look even more like a fool when you say you met your new business partner - Chennel - at some Farmer's Market and instantly "trust her." Of course you do, you nitwit. Chennel's witness had to be ejected. Obviously she never watched this show and thought sitting on the sidelines and yelling out random shit was a good idea, or maybe like Chennel, she's lacking in any self-control. Byrd did his best to herd her to the elusive  exit, as she shrieked all the way out. Chennel wasn't any better and was totally incapable of shutting up and listening to anything.  And didn't those pants go out of style in the 80s? I guess I know nothing since it seems people still buy them, maybe as pyjamas?

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Any idea what that tweaker/stoner guy was doing in Israel and Argentina?   

Maybe he went there to sell Cindy and Chennels "Hammer pants". 

Edited by PsychoKlown
No reason
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Didn't JJ just say, "Good luck with that" in response to the plaintiff's comment about going to another court?

Yes, but there was no follow-up on it. I think, unless information to the contrary is provided, that even if the option to withdraw is available, it can only be exercised if JJ allows it and dismisses without prejudice. A limitation that makes sense because you do not want litigants to be able to abort proceedings at will if they see things are going against them, which would be a waste of resources and expenses. Whereas the option to abandon a claim exists in real-world small claims court or labour relations tribunal (in our jurisdiction at least), as long as you do it before the decision is made; but you do not necessarily get another kick at the can, especially if you are outside statutory filing time limits.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
On 11/14/2017 at 3:02 PM, Brattinella said:

OH MY GOD.  Terror Hughes (real name) sues her daughter for money due for a puppy she sold her for $300, but only paid $150.  THE MOST adorable little puppy!  Puppy was taken away from mother @ 4 weeks (way too early), has NEVER been to the vet.  The puppy now is a couple months old, but is skinny.  Neither of the reprehensible ladies deserve this dog... and JJ AGREES!  She pays the plaintiff the money due on the dog, and says "The dog now belongs to US!"  FAR OUT!!!

ETA:  JJ says Byrd take custody of the dog.  Byrd says you know I don't like dogs.  As puppy is licking his face!

This is now my second favourite JJ episode ever (nothing will ever dethrone The Tupperware Lady). I'm not sure that what Judy did was technically legal, and really she spent half the time convincing/conning the mother into giving over the dog, but it was truly the best decision for the dog. If I didn't love JJ before, this would have swayed me. I hope little Mocha is spoiled in her fantastic life now (and love the description of her speeding down the highway with Byrd!).

Edited by Cynna
  • Love 7

Hilarious how the mom was more upset then the daughter was over the dress.  I didn’t go to prom (was homeschooled) my husband went to his prom but he only stayed for 30 mins just for his mom’s sake so she could have “those memories”  since he’s the only child,were both now 25/28 and we turned out fine. 

It baffles me that people spend so much money on prom dresses or even wedding dresses something you wear for maybe 5 hours? I got married 2 years ago on a beach in Hawaii,instead of spending thousands on a dress I got to have a small ceremony,beautiful professional wedding photos and a kicksss honey moon exploring the islands.

My best friend got married 2 months ago,she paid $5,900 for her dress,married in a backyard,no honeymoon,no professional photo’s. All because she thought the dress was the most important thing.  My point is people get so obsessed with how they will be dressed/ look instead of truly enjoying the moment. 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Okay Byrd, you needed to tell that jerk holding the scrappy Yorkie dog to get his stupid jacked up self out of the defendant's face after the verdict.

I think that unfortunately Byrd did not see the exchange. That case was in a special category in that it went against my expectations: at first glance defendant looked like an uncaring brutish dog owner, but in a pleasantly unexpected twist it turned out that plaintiffs were the assholes in this instance, since they thought that other people in the dog park should bow to their preferences and rules. Especially the shrill ex-husband who seemed to think that the alleged offence was worthy of a Nuremberg Trials level of indignation.

• Love 4

I think that unfortunately Byrd did not see the exchange. That case was in a special category in that it went against my expectations: at first glance defendant looked like an uncaring brutish dog owner, but in a pleasantly unexpected twist it turned out that plaintiffs were the assholes in this instance, since they thought that other people in the dog park should bow to their preferences and rules. Especially the shrill ex-husband who seemed to think that the alleged offence was worthy of a Nuremberg Trials level of indignation.

That ex-husband was pinging my gaydar like crazy.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

My best friend got married 2 months ago,she paid $5,900 for her dress,married in a backyard,no honeymoon,no professional photo’s. All because she thought the dress was the most important thing.  My point is people get so obsessed with how they will be dressed/ look instead of truly enjoying the moment. 

Years ago, some comedienne whose name I can't remember said that she stood up in her sister's wedding as a maid of honor. Big family event, the first wedding she ever stood up for, and she said, "I cannot thank my sister enough for letting me spend eight hundred dollars on the ugliest piece of shit dress I have ever seen in my life."

• Love 4

In my favor: I got my prom dress for ~$40, at the local hippie/"ethnic"/lots of batik store. Plain black cotton tank top, with three-tiered ruffle miniskirt in said wild batik--it was the 80s. My mother could not possibly have given less of a sh*t.

Not in my favor: Mom wanted to name me Brandie Leigh. We just barely got one foot outta the trailer park, y'all! (Back in my favor: my Grammy talked her out of it, thank the heavens.)

Re. the battling Hammer-pantses: is this some kind of LulaRoe pyramid scheme? 

• Love 4

So, Ms. Green's daughter is Ms. Brown. I wonder if the dad is Prof. Plum or Col. Mustard? And the daughter's name is Fiancé. That could be an entire "who's on first" conversation..."I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Fiancé." "Well, which is she, your GF or your Fiancé?" "She's my GF, Fiancé!

In another case, 16 yr old Marquette, who already has the start of a titty tat, admitted she went to granny's to live because she was "misobeying" at home. Sometimes I think my head is going to explode.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Quof said:

Did Grandma keep saying she had custard of Marquette?  

She was hard to understand.  I think she said "custud" -- she dropped the y every time she said that word. 

I was surprised that her name is pronounced "Mar-kwet" -- I would have thought it was "Mar-kett".

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

So, Ms. Green's daughter is Ms. Brown. I wonder if the dad is Prof. Plum or Col. Mustard? And the daughter's name is Fiancé. That could be an entire "who's on first" conversation..."I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Fiancé." "Well, which is she, your GF or your Fiancé?" "She's my GF, Fiancé!

In another case, 16 yr old Marquette, who already has the start of a titty tat, admitted she went to granny's to live because she was "misobeying" at home. Sometimes I think my head is going to explode.

Hey Spunkygal, when you visit Boston would you give me a call?

We'd have the best time.  We'd probably get thrown out of any respectable establishment but hey, who cares?

3 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

Hey Spunkygal, when you visit Boston would you give me a call?

We'd have the best time.  We'd probably get thrown out of any respectable establishment but hey, who cares?

When we get thrown out of the bar, let's make sure we misobey and you can take custard of my purse since I didn't borrow you any money. Then I can bail you out of jail even though you didn't axe me to, so why pay me back! But seriously, I do love Boston!

• Love 10

I couldn't deal with Markwette and Mashawn and couldn't understand Granny, who spoke in half-words, so I FF this one. Marquette may have "disbehaved" in school, but is it any wonder? What chance does she have? Ankle bracelet at 16! I bet all that hair she ordered from Amazon wasn't just for her either. Seems she and Mom Mashawn got matching packs.

Angela Doughtery, you are an idiot. You have dog you can't control, contain or train, like - because you're an idiot -  and you can't put up a decent fence, so you kill the dog. Once again, an animal pays for human stupidity. I have to take exception to JJ (or anyone) saying, "Oh, the dogs got into a fight so that means they're vicious. What it had been a child?" I can say that dogs very well know the difference between a human being and another dog. None of my dogs liked other dogs, but they adored kids. They knew the kids weren't dogs, you see. Duh. Dogs are territorial animals and do get into fights. It happens, but with the general outlook these days (it's not PC for dogs to fight as they have been doing since they appeared on the earth) added to clueless, dumbass owners like the Idiot Angela and the dogs always suffer.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, shksabelle said:

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a mother/child combo on this show where the mother and child have the same last name. 

Yeah, I hear ya!  Yep, one hand is more than enough!

• Love 2

Finally had a chance to catch up. Ms.Green and Fiance Brown: Could not do. I really dislike the mental images I got of the litigants behaving like wild beasts, brawling in the street and screeching and all that other lovely stuff, and seeming to think that's normal.  Ditto for widowed mom who got into a wild street altercation with her kids' aunt and their uncle, Chuck Berry.

Mr. Boynton, antsy globe trotter (are street drugs cheaper in Argentina and Israel?) who looked as though he came here directly from some rehab center and grabbed clothes from a community pot on the way, was suing his former new bestie, Fat Albert. I loved that Byrd (who can do no wrong in my eyes) took it upon himself to inform Albert to "speak when you're spoken to" because he couldn't keep his big mouth shut,  but I was let down that JJ didn't tell him to stop the mad swaying back and forth. That was not good for someone like me who was on her 2nd glass of wine. Damn. Anyway, Mr. Boynton seemed to have some sort of problem (maybe was overdue for another dose of his "psychotropic medication?)which caused him to get the boot. Good riddance to both.

Okay, I'm just waiting anxiously for someone to ask me if I understand something. My reply will be, "I ain't trippin'." Awesome. 

Mr. Rhodon (? I think. Names do not stay with me longer than 60 seconds) is a warehouse worker, whose employers were incredibly kind to allow him to take a lot of time off to deal with his arrest (in a company truck!), court appearances, his asthmatic son and who know what else, is now suing for commissions and for being finally fired. If you can't keep a job in a warehouse, you might want to look at your own behavior instead of blaming everyone else. I know even at my job if I had taken off all that time (mever mind after ONE year of employment, but ever) I would have been kicked to the curb pronto. Another example of today's mind-boggling sense of entitlement. "I came in only an hour late, or left an hour early!" Only point of note in this case is that both litigants spoke English properly, for which I was pathetically grateful.

By the way, I must take this opportunity to congratulate Brattinella, who through dedication and hard work, attained the coverted "Hot Pink Post Outline". Well, done B!

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 8