Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/05/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

I thought Joy was trying to point out that as a society we give huge passes to famous athletes; particularly white young men who fit a certain image no matter how much they buck it with their behavior. At least that is kind of what I got she might be going for.  But didn't get there. 

Is that it?  The two men were both athletes (I checked, they are both actually swimmers, oddly enough).   It's the only rational thing Joy could have been trying to say, I guess.  Unfortunately, as you pointed out, she didn't actually ... you know, say that, lol.  And I agree, the two situations are just way waaayyy too far apart to be a good example of white male athlete privilege. Boy, Joy sure missed the boat on that one.

I keep feeling Jediblahblah is going to start clapping like a seal for a fish at her own delivery of her talking points that are nowhere near as sharp or emphatic despite her tone of voice.  There is just something odd in her delivery now they are back.  It's kind of a mix of professional wrestling rhetorical delivery and head tossing "so there" thirteen year old.

It's true!  When she was listing all the reasons Hilary Clinton should be drawn and quartered, she sounded like she thought she was making the most awesome, insightful and dead-on accurate comments ever spoken on national television.  She talked to the other women like she was a big-shot high school girl addressing some ignorant 6th graders.  If Sunny had only been there to smack her smug ass down, lol.  

And while we are talking about how to respond to Jedidi-yuck's rants, Whoopi needs to stop squawking about "11 hours!  11 hours!!" as a response to her. It's just not enough of an answer to some very specific charges Jedidi-yuck was making.  Obviously Jed feels the right questions weren't asked during those 11 hours and no doubt she thinks she would have nailed Hillary to the wall, lol.  She seems to think she is quite the sharp little tool.  But I anticipate Sunny Hostin showing her that is not the case.  SUNNY??!?!!  Where are you?!?!?!

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 7

am not sure how Joy equates Ryan Lochte (that swimmer guy) appearing on Dancing With The Stars with that college rapist who got the slap on the wrist. Is the raper going to be on the show, too? Of course not, I realize, but why even bring him up? I don't think their crimes are remotely comparable.  And what benefit of his crime is the raper receiving?  I didn't understand that at all, and if someone can explain it to me, that would be great.

There was no reason for Joy to bring up the Stanford rapist when talking about Ryan Lochte on DTWS.  I think who ever put the blue cards together didn't make it clear for her. She was reading it off the card.

THIS is why they need Sunny at the table but they maintain their "rotating co host world".

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I keep feeling Jediblahblah is going to start clapping like a seal for a fish at her own delivery of her talking points that are nowhere near as sharp or emphatic despite her tone of voice.  There is just something odd in her delivery now they are back.  It's kind of a mix of professional wrestling rhetorical delivery and head tossing "so there" thirteen year old.

It took me a half hour into her first show to remember why she drives me nuts. She just screams her points, screams them, non-stop, not coming up for air, not listening to anyone else, and somehow she thinks if she drowns out Joy (in particular), then she has "won." It's like having a tape recorder that you can't unplug. It doesn't make whatever it's saying correct, it just makes the room annoying.

• Love 11

At one point I was distracted by Sara Haines's eyeballs  just rapidly looking back & forth at Whoopi & Jedifoxbot during their Hillary rant. She really adds nothing to this show. And of course  the only thing Candace adds to the show is a pretty new haircut. The fact that SH & CCB are on the entire premiere week and not Sunny is mindboggling.

It will be fun to see who of the eight little Indians will get phased out over the next few weeks.

Edited by rags
  • Love 1

At one point I was distracted by Sara Haines's eyeballs  just rapidly looking back & forth at Whoopi & Jedifoxbot during their Hillary rant. She really adds nothing to this show.

It looked like airhead Sara Haines was at a tennis match -look left, look right!

She also didn't say a word during  that first segment.

I'm a Hillary fan, but, Joy was REALLY rude to Gary.  She's been quiet since they came back from the ads so she may have been told to back off.  Umm, the assault weapons ban expired a few years ago, Gary.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 5

Candace, why don't you ask a gay Russian if he or she feels safe under the helm of Putin.  Oh, that's right you don't give a shit. Now, go fix your bangs.

Edited by rags
  • Love 19

Man, that was painful. Between BAB's naïveté regarding conditions in Russia and Raven's naïveté regarding the political system, I don't know who is less informed. Yeah, Joy was tough on Gary Johnson but he showed clearly how ill prepared he is to be president. (He was a governor?  Really?)  Joy's question about dealing with a hostile Congress was a good one. He has a lot of positions that appeal to "kids" like Raven, but has zero chance of getting any such legislation passed.  Sorry, Raven, put the bowl away.

• Love 9

Candace walked off the set during the after view discussion. Joy and Raven were having a heated argument. And poor Candace couldn't take the ugliness. She walked off and never came back. Keep on walking CCB. I bet she won't be scolded by anyone. 

Yet Jedi, Joy, and Raven stayed and moved on...LIKE PROFESSIONALS!

Edited by rags
  • Love 5

Not only does Jediblahblah (love that nickname - so appropriately descriptive!) annoy me because of her ridiculous opinions, I also HATE her accent.  But I can't quite place it.  It's kind of Noo Yawk but much more irritating (and I grew up in NY so if it was just the typical accent, it wouldn't bother me so much).  Does anyone know where she's from/grew up?

• Love 1
Just now, jalady said:

Not only does Jediblahblah (love that nickname - so appropriately descriptive!) annoy me because of her ridiculous opinions, I also HATE her accent.  But I can't quite place it.  It's kind of Noo Yawk but much more irritating (and I grew up in NY so if it was just the typical accent, it wouldn't bother me so much).  Does anyone know where she's from/grew up?

Staten Island. They actually mentioned it at the end of the show, during that stupid vacation giveaway.

1 minute ago, jalady said:

I thought she was from New Jersey, but Wiki says Brooklyn!!??

11 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

About what?

They were talking about the generational gap in politics.

I think why Candace walked off was a combo of this + the fact that she got booed when she was said "As a Christian, my faith influences my politics". I think it was more the boos than Joy/Raven. 

I disagree with a lot of what she has to say, but I thought that was rude and uncalled for.

However, she should be reprimanded for walking off her job and not coming back. That's unprofessional, no matter how upset you are. If she like she said can't handle "angry conversation", then she needs to resign from The View.

• Love 12

It started with Gary Johnson then snowballed. Joy and Raven both agreed they got too heated. My issue with CCB being on this panel is if she is going to speak her truth, she has to stand in it. Not run away when it gets a little too real. I just think she isn't that bright enough to argue her viewpoints. She knows this and decides to leave or shutdown when that happens.

25 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

what

Edited by rags
  • Love 5

Jedidiah's accent bugs me as much as the sleeves on the dress she was wearing today. I think her voice annoys me more than she does. 

I don't know what to think of Candace. I don't dislike her, but her Duggar-like everything revolves around her religion gets old after a while. I guess her walking off set will be today's "story" that gets picked up in the media about the show. 

• Love 1

If BAB is going to make her faith such an important part of her life to the point it influences her politics then she needs to grow a thicker skin and like mentioned above be able to defend her beliefs.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't say this is how I feel and then say but I don't want anyone to say anything negative about it.

• Love 14

Did CCB's walk-off happen during the televised show?  If so, I missed it.  Damn. Hopefully, she's still walking, all the way back to California.  She adds absolutely nothing to discussions, usually just sitting and watching and letting everyone else do the heavy conversational lifting.  That's why I'm surprised that she even perked up enough to stage a protest.  Can anyone elaborate for me, please? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

Did CCB's walk-off happen during the televised show?  If so, I missed it.  Damn. Hopefully, she's still walking, all the way back to California.  She adds absolutely nothing to discussions, usually just sitting and watching and letting everyone else do the heavy conversational lifting.  That's why I'm surprised that she even perked up enough to stage a protest.  Can anyone elaborate for me, please? 

Apparently it was during the aftershow. It's saved to The Spew's FB page.

• Love 1

Candace was booed by the audience when she spoke about her faith. Then Raven and Joy got into it and she didn't like the argument. She walked off. If she wants professionalism and consideration she is on the wrong show. By the way, I think Raven was disrespectful toward Joy and Joy reacted angrily. Then she backed down later. I hated that.

• Love 4

I don't know what to think of Candace. I don't dislike her, but her Duggar-like everything revolves around her religion gets old after a while. I guess her walking off set will be today's "story" that gets picked up in the media about the show. 

Since it was on the after show, I doubt the media will give it the time of day. So what? Who cares? She's not that relevant.

• Love 3

Lest there be any doubt that conservatives generally (ooh! sorry) are less educated than more broadminded libs, it was dispelled by the 2 sitting right-wingers (we see you Jed) stating on 2 consecutive days that their parentbots named them or their sibs after TV characters - dumbing down of USA continues apace.  Trump'll be over us before we know it, I fear.

• Love 2

If you go to Small Town USA, most of the kids under 20 have names like Destiny, Chase, Brooke, Rafe, Chance... soap opera characters. But really, is it any different than the absolute tribe of Judys who were born after The Wizard of Oz came out, or the Jennifer craze that was spawned by Love Story? Pop culture plays a huge role in naming kids. I have a 3x great-uncle who was named "Orlando" because of a popular novel back in the day.

Who besides Jed said she was named after a TV character? My cable went out 10 minutes into the show today.

• Love 1

Who besides Jed said she was named after a TV character? My cable went out 10 minutes into the show today.

CCB said her brother was named after Captain Kirk on Star Trek.  another So What, Who Cares!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rags said:

Candace walked off the set during the after view discussion. Joy and Raven were having a heated argument. And poor Candace couldn't take the ugliness. She walked off and never came back. Keep on walking CCB. I bet she won't be scolded by anyone. 

Yet Jedi, Joy, and Raven stayed and moved on...LIKE PROFESSIONALS!

I think you forgot when both Joy and Whoopie walked off the set during a Bill O'Reilly (obnoxious idiot he is) interview, and even Babs, on the 20th Anniversary show, said she thought they were wrong for doing that.   So, Joy was also unprofessional at that time.  CCB should never be on any talk show, period. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

CCB said her brother was named after Captain Kirk on Star Trek.  another So What, Who Cares!

I actually thought that was the most interesting thing on the show today, Vinyasa!  Kirk Cameron, Captain Kirk lol ... I never would have guessed.  

Doesn't that fly in the face of her family's uber-Christian values or something?  Isn't science fiction bad because it doesn't honor the Bible and the Lord and all that shit?  Or am I confusing her family with the Duggars (again)? 

It tickled me when she said (yesterday) that it bugs her when people call her "Cameron."  Because I used to do that all the time.  I guess I am going to have to start doing it again now that I know it bothers her.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, rcc said:

Candace was booed by the audience when she spoke about her faith. Then Raven and Joy got into it and she didn't like the argument. She walked off. If she wants professionalism and consideration she is on the wrong show. By the way, I think Raven was disrespectful toward Joy and Joy reacted angrily. Then she backed down later. I hated that.

What did Raven say to Joy? I wouldn't be surprised if she was nasty, because she's been that way to Joy since the year before last when Joy was just guesting after Rosie left and Raven treated her like she was senile.

I have to be honest that I haven’t seen much of Gary Johnson, but I wasn’t impressed. Not that it would’ve changed anything if I was, no matter how much Raven can’t handle Joy’s criticism of her wasting her vote. It must’ve really burned her because we’ve seen her bring this up before with that Pence & Teller guy and now with Gary Johnson. Doesn’t change the point, Raven, and you’re still stupid. I wish I could watch After the View. I hope Joy skewered the brat.

I really thought we were going to get a diatribe in defense of Kanye when Joy made her comment. Thankfully we were spared Whoopi’s ego because Kanye does not deserve to be defended.

• Love 6

So I watched the aftershow.  It was awesome, actually, and I mean that sincerely.  Re CCB.  I believe she really walked off because of the booing.  When she was booed she tried to defend and explain what she was trying to say but it didn't really help.  Raven told the audience they were rude, which I thought was uncalled for, especially from someone who likes to bang the "speak your mind no matter what" drum.

However, CCB said she left because the conversation was angry and she didn't want to be there.  I am sure she was backstage crying, not because of that, but because of the booing.

Joy was wrong, and Joy was not really listening to Raven's point. Joy thought Raven was dissing her generation but what she was saying is that it is the young people in each generation that force change from the status quo. Joy misunderstood and did go on a rather heated rant.  But to Joy's credit, she held the whole thing together after CCB left.  Then they took questions from the audience which were good and each of them provided interesting answers that were also a bit enlightening.  One young man in the audience asked a great question about whether they actually listen to each other before they respond. Joy said they did, and then she asked him what he thought about that.  He said it didn't seem so just now with the exchange between Joy/Raven/Jed.  Joy conceded that during that exchange they weren't listening and she said sometimes she gets very engaged and is over the top.  Raven lifted her left eyebrow at that statement--now that is rude, Raven. This gave Raven a chance to better explain the point she was trying to make and Joy listened, and said she understood her point.  She then explained why she gets heated, that she is afraid for the future and for the youngest generations, what their world will be like.  It was very passionate and raw.  Jed talked about how engaged and knowledgeable young people are that she meets.

I thought this was a pretty good conversation and the young man asking the question did a great job.  Yay, audience member!  They then talked a bit more about how they interact and Raven said the honest truth is that for ratings they are expected to jump off or over each other.  She said that the conversations in the make up room or elsewhere are not like this.

I liked this discussion because the intergenerational dynamics are part of our life everywhere, and especially with so many boomers.  I do think Joy was right in what she said about her generation and also that young people should learn from their experiences, but Raven was also correct in saying that in every decade it is young people who inspire change.  Although I thought her comment that no 50 year old ever started a revolution was pretty stupid.

They tried several times to coax CCB back to the stage, so I think Joy was very concerned that she/they upset her.  But in reality she was sitting backstage in tears, no doubt, and calling her husband to tell them how mean they all were to her.

• Love 9

Well, I feel sorry for Candace and yet I don't feel sorry for her. This is the job you signed a contract to have. She was barely even there last year, and now she can't take it 3 days into the new season. And she's had numerous articles/interviews since almost the very first day she joined the show about how hard it is to be the only Christian on The View, when 1.) She isn't the only Christian on The View, and 2.) It isn't any harder to be a Christian on The View than it was for Michelle to be Jewish or for Joy to be a non-believer when they were the only ones at the table, unlike Candace who had Paula, Sunny, and even Whoopi who are fellow Christians she could lean on. (I have no idea about Jedi and Raven.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, telemachus2 said:

Lest there be any doubt that conservatives generally (ooh! sorry) are less educated than more broadminded libs, it was dispelled by the 2 sitting right-wingers (we see you Jed) stating on 2 consecutive days that their parentbots named them or their sibs after TV characters - dumbing down of USA continues apace.  Trump'll be over us before we know it, I fear.

I've known people who's parents named them after characters on TV and movies. They were perfectly normal too. One guy's Mom named him Mason after Mason Capwell from the soap Santa Barbara.

29 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I actually thought that was the most interesting thing on the show today, Vinyasa!  Kirk Cameron, Captain Kirk lol ... I never would have guessed.  

Doesn't that fly in the face of her family's uber-Christian values or something?  Isn't science fiction bad because it doesn't honor the Bible and the Lord and all that shit?  Or am I confusing her family with the Duggars (again)? 

It tickled me when she said (yesterday) that it bugs her when people call her "Cameron."  Because I used to do that all the time.  I guess I am going to have to start doing it again now that I know it bothers her.

CCB/BAB has said her family wasn't always uber-Christian and that occurred when the kids were older after someone introduced them to Christianity. Here's a bit from BAB's "Testimony" on her website. (Thank you to Google!) 

Thank you for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to share with you how I became a Christian.

When I was growing up, my family wasn't Christian. We didn't talk about God and I didn't know anything about him. When I was twelve years old, my parents told us we were going to church; a friend had invited us. It was strange to me, and I giggled at the thought of God. But as we continued to go every Sunday, my heart felt warm, and I saw how happy my mom, brother and sister were. I decided that I wanted to feel the same way. It was Jesus Christ that was producing this change in them, so one Sunday morning, I asked Jesus into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior. I was baptized along with some of my family at a later service. I was extremely excited about what I thought was my new Christian life.

Edited by Jaded
Too much empty space in one of the quote boxes...
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, bannana said:

Joy was wrong, and Joy was not really listening to Raven's point. Joy thought Raven was dissing her generation but what she was saying is that it is the young people in each generation that force change from the status quo. Joy misunderstood and did go on a rather heated rant.  

... I liked this discussion because the intergenerational dynamics are part of our life everywhere, and especially with so many boomers.  I do think Joy was right in what she said about her generation and also that young people should learn from their experiences, but Raven was also correct in saying that in every decade it is young people who inspire change.  

Thanks for posting all this because now I don't have to, lol.  I saw it just the same way.

Joy misunderstood Raven (which is really unfortunate because she was actually making sense for a change) and she WAY overreacted.  I know how she feels about the whole "spoiler" thing and for the most part I agree with her.  But she is letting it make her crazy.  And that doesn't do anybody any good.  She started to sound like a cranky old lady waiving her cane in Raven's face ranting about how things were back "in her day." Joy, it's not your day any more.  It's not MY day anymore.  It is, in reality, Raven's day, and you would do well to muster up some patience so you can actually wade through her nonsense and pluck out the rare nuggets of wisdom and understand what she is trying to say. 

I will have to go back and watch the part with the audience.  I checked out when they started talking about Mother T. If Cameron doesn't have to sit there and listen to that, neither do I! 

ETA: thanks for the info about Cameron's family's religious development, Jaded.  So they came to faith later in life.  Well that explains naming their son after a heathen hero from a show about spaceships populated by scantily clad females, doesn't it?

I'm surprised Kirk hasn't changed his name, hmph

p.s. I named my daughter after a character on The Waltons, a nice, decent FAMILY show! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

What did Raven say to Joy? I wouldn't be surprised if she was nasty, because she's been that way to Joy since the year before last when Joy was just guesting after Rosie left and Raven treated her like she was senile.

I have to be honest that I haven’t seen much of Gary Johnson, but I wasn’t impressed. Not that it would’ve changed anything if I was, no matter how much Raven can’t handle Joy’s criticism of her wasting her vote. It must’ve really burned her because we’ve seen her bring this up before with that Pence & Teller guy and now with Gary Johnson. Doesn’t change the point, Raven, and you’re still stupid. I wish I could watch After the View. I hope Joy skewered the brat.

I really thought we were going to get a diatribe in defense of Kanye when Joy made her comment. Thankfully we were spared Whoopi’s ego because Kanye does not deserve to be defended.

Raven dissed Joy and her generation. Joy got angry. Then when the audience member made that comment Joy backed down and Raven gave her eyebrow raise which was more of the same disrespectful crap. Raven sometimes adds something interesting to the conversation, but unfortunately she more times than not is disrespectful to Joy more than anyone else on that panel. It's happened before and will probably happen again.

Another thing that happened on the After the View is when Joy asked if Raven believed in God (everyone gave their response to that question) Raven wouldn't answer because "she would get in trouble." What's up with that! That's the second time I've heard her say that. Another interesting thing that Raven said is that heated conversations are for ratings on that show and that is why it happens. Joy nodded yes to that comment.

Another reason for Candace to rethink being on this show. Heated conversations are what the producers want.

• Love 7

The after-show can be seen on the FB page at link below. As much as I loathe CCB, it really was rude for the loud boos when she made the "as a Christian" remark. Everybody should have their minute to speak no matter how ludicrous they are.

It pains me so that CCB, Raven and Jediblahblah are back on this show!

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 11

Like Joy I think that Gary Johnson not knowing what Aleppo is is disqualifying and thank goodness she had the balls to confront him about that to his face, rude or not. I think given the opportunity, she'd likely tell Trump to his face that there's nothing Christian about him and question why he has evangelical support. Makes no sense. There comes a time when you get comfortable calling people out because you realize you've earned that right or it just doesn't matter what others think of you. It obviously angers her that people would not vote or vote for a 3rd party candidate and give an absolute doofus better odds of being president. 

• Love 10

I also think CCB was still fuming about being booed. Her convoluted explanation about why she asked Johnson about his faith made no sense to me. She tried to explain why she was not being judgmental - wth? And then said she would ask a Muslim or Jew or Jew on Jew (?) the same thing. 

I'm glad she left. IMO she contributes very, very little to political discussions. I was glad to see Joy and Raven settle down. I'm almost Joy's age and agreed with her.....but then fortunately I am not around "kids" like Raven. I find it hard to take anything she says serious. 

• Love 12

I'm sort of summing up the last three days here, but the first thing that annoyed me this week was on Tuesday when Candace repeated the same tired, "she's a crook and a liar" meme. Then Jebidiablah picked up the meme. I have to give Whoopie some props, because people really are like dogs with bones and refuse to just drop certain tings. So Hillary is a crook. Did she steal from anyone? Has she been convicted of any crimes? No. DROP IT ALREADY! BAD DOG!

As for the after show, I didn't even think Candace was booed. I felt more like the audience was audibly groaning while rolling their eyes. But the fact is, Evangelical Christians like Candace will never support Hillary for president, simply because she's a woman tainted with Original Sin. Sorry, I have yet to see a born again Christian back a woman for anything.

I didn't have much an opinion of Sarah until this week. She doesn't say anything, unless it's something she's interested in, and she does that little clappy thing. It's pretty immature, like she's going, "Oh yay! Something I like!"

• Love 10
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

I also think CCB was still fuming about being booed. Her convoluted explanation about why she asked Johnson about his faith made no sense to me. She tried to explain why she was not being judgmental - wth? And then said she would ask a Muslim or Jew or Jew on Jew (?) the same thing. 

I'm glad she left. IMO she contributes very, very little to political discussions. I was glad to see Joy and Raven settle down. I'm almost Joy's age and agreed with her.....but then fortunately I am not around "kids" like Raven. I find it hard to take anything she says serious. 

I didn't see the show proper, but I also truly didn't understand what she was trying to say about a Christian asking a Christian about their faith so she could see how they "walk with God".  And then that Muslim would want to know the same thing about a Muslim candidate and a Jew the same about a Jewish candidate.  That does in fact sound very judgemental.  If you are orthodox and the candidate is not, does that change your view of them?  I think that is what she is saying.  If you are a born again Christian and the candidate is a convert to Islam, would that make the candidate more favourable to her?  The whole thing did not make sense.  

And she actually said as a Christian twice, and got booed the second time because I think the audience read her remarks as she wants to know how Christian the candidate is to be able to decide if that is who she will back.

• Love 7