Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/05/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: Repeat of 20th Anniversary Special

Tuesday: Season 20 premieres with Tracy Morgan making his first daytime talk show appearance since his 2014 accident; kick-off of 20 days of surprise trip giveaways.

Wednesday: Day of Hot Topics.

Thursday: The Political View with Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson.

Friday: Mary J. Blige and Maxwell on "The View"'s new theme song, "World's Gone Crazy," and their upcoming tour; Gigi Hadid and Tommy Hilfiger with a new fall line.

• Love 1

Re: the opening segment --Whoopi couldn't possibly have been more unenthusiastic and underwhelming if she tried.   All she was missing was a sloppy, oversized t-shirt that said 'Whatever' on it.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 7

I found it weird that CCB was in-between Whoops and Joy in the opening. I realized a bit after it looked like after Whoops being first the rest of the hosts are ordered by the letter of their first name. 

I'm glad they have Sunny in the intro, because Candace, Raven, and Paula will most likely have disappeared by March. Let's hope, anyway.

Joy stumbled over her words about Clinton at the end of Hot Topics, but I understood what she was getting at. She meant to say false equivalency, how some people try to equate Clinton's e-mail scandal with Trump's litany of racism, misogyny, and general xenophobia (for instance, Paula) when they are not at all equal.

• Love 4
Just now, Vinyasa said:

The opening said they were going to talk about Ryan Lochte and Rio.

I was only half watching, did they?

Nope. Seems that's another thing they haven't fixed this season.

• Love 1

I thought Paula was only going to be on Fridays?

Who knows? The hot mess of rotating continues.  I bet Raven isn't on anytime soon.

I'm still waiting for the day all 8 of them walk out for 5 chairs!

• Love 8

I'm glad to see the show back. I liked the panel. I don't dislike anyone on the panel, but I prefer the panel when Raven isn't there. Whoopi doesn't even bother me that much most of the time. 

Candace's hair did bug me. I liked the length, but the part and the bangs were getting on my nerves. I wanted to grab a comb and go into the tv and comb her hair. 

• Love 2

Paula was sort of quiet today.....and that game show vacation give away didn't appeal to me at all.  I did enjoy seeing Tracy Morgan.......but CCM looking directly into the camera & solemnly saying "people hate Hillary Clinton because she's a crook & a liar," made me want to turn my set off, or switch over to Antenna TV and watch B/W reruns of classic tv shows. Producers take note.....this show is not called "The Christian Mother's View."

• Love 6

If last season is any indication, we only have to see Candace about 5 more times this year.  Why was her contract renewed again?

No idea. It is going to be the same as last season-other than Whoppi and Joy, we won't know who is showing up until they walk out.  I  cannot take both CCB and airhead Sara Haines on together. 

I don't know. I thought Paula spoke plenty and it pissed me off. Just as Candace did. Both need to find something new to say. For Candace, she would be perfectly okay with protesters protesting in silence and not shaking things up. Unless it's something she believes in. She said the same thing about the protests by Black Lives Matter at a rally early this year. She said they should do it somewhere else and more quietly.  I remember saying, now how does she reconcile how the people who fought in this country's revolution--their protests against England? I don't recall those being done quietly.

And they both need to sing a new tune about why Hillary is reviled/hated/not trustworthy. ALL POLITICIANS LIE.  She is not the ONLY one to do so. So yeah, I was cheering Joy when she said everyone lies, even everyone sitting at the table. It's ridiculous.

And either she was being deliberately obtuse or she just is that stupid (and I don't think Paula's stupid), but she kept harping on how "disrespectful" Kaepernick was being...against "the country," and whatever else she kept doubling down on. And though Whoopi used the standard because it's still an issue, and in her convoluted way, said why it's not disrespectful--that this country is not standing up for him, or other minorities, like it does for its White populace.

I'm not Hillary's biggest fan, but even I can say I prefer her over that orange Orangutan, and it's not because I'm holding my nose and she's the lesser of two evils, either. My dislike for her has nothing to do with her service or what she's done for this country and she's done so much going back to her college days. There is just NO COMPARISON between her and that asshole blowhard. NONE.

And sorry, but Candace's daughter sounded horrible, with her country-ized, uneven, off-key twang to one of my favorite songs. 

I'm afraid we'll be seeing more of her this season, since the second season of her show has already been filmed over the summer. Something the first season had not--that's why she was gone for most of the first half--filming her new show. UGH.

I wish Sunny had been there. At least Jediblahblah wasn't.

Tracy Morgan was awesome and I loved him donning that "Starr" wig and Starr proved she has a sense of humor, too!

• Love 9

Waves, hi y'all!

Looks like Whoopi made a bit of a splash first day back, seems to me that she does this quite often with the season opener.

I thought Joy was leaving the show?  Happy to see her well reasoned self today - the other fools at the table should all have been fired, I see Jediblahblah will be around as well.  Candace and Paula need to have several seats with their bullshit about disrespectfulness.

Waves, bye y'all!

♥♥♥♥♥

• Love 6
3 hours ago, honeydo7 said:

...but CCM looking directly into the camera & solemnly saying "people hate Hillary Clinton because she's a crook & a liar," made me want to turn my set off, or switch over to Antenna TV and watch B/W reruns of classic tv shows. 

The hand of the Lord intervened (in the form of my dog's paw) and swept down onto the remote and changed the channel just as they started talking about Hilary Clinton, mercifully sparing me from having to hear this. HALLELUJAH!  I'd rather read about it here.  My TV is much safer that way because oft times I am tempted to launch the aforementioned remote control right through its screen when I hear too much offensive drivel from these morons too early in the morning. 

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And they both need to sing a new tune about why Hillary is reviled/hated/not trustworthy. ALL POLITICIANS LIE.  She is not the ONLY one to do so. So yeah, I was cheering Joy when she said everyone lies, even everyone sitting at the table. It's ridiculous.

They do all seem to lie ... sadly, that seems to be a virtual given.  And I am getting tired of hearing it said about Hilary Clinton like she invented the practice and it is the be-all, end-all observation that can be made about her.  It just feels like a lazy comment made by someone who can't be bothered to really inform herself.

I would much prefer someone on the show would express why they like or dislike a candidate based on some specific policy or something instead of instantly seizing on their likability or making it out like their character is the singular definitive issue.  Because personally, I would rather have a lying, womanizing policy genius run the country than an honest, god fearing idiot who has no idea how to run the government. Maybe it's just me. But I have the feeling the kind of informed commentary I would prefer is beyond the scope of people like Candice. She better not be on all the damn time.  I can't take it.  

I wish there was a way to put her on "ignore" the way we can do with annoying posters here.  

Anyway, I lost the twenty minutes of the show I had backed up to watch and when I tuned back over there was Tracy Morgan.  I almost always check out when they get to the interview portion of the show and saw no reason to alter my habits today. CLicK!

All I really heard was the Colin Kaepernick stuff.  So Miss Whoopi made herself look good AND managed to slap Paula down on the very first show of the season. It was quite the opening day for her.  I wonder if she is going to openly and obviously go after Paula every chance she gets like she did last season.  I have mixed feelings about it ... on one hand I can't stand Paula and enjoy seeing anyone shut her down.  But I don't like watching Whoopi bully people and push them around.  Hey I have an idea!  Let's get rid of BOTH of them!!  It's not too late, is it???

It makes me sick that Sunny won't be there every day.  If she were *I* might be there every day. But I do not see myself going out of my way to watch this show when 6 out of the 8 of them annoy the piss out of me and chances are Sunny won't be around to counteract their awfulness. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And sorry, but Candace's daughter sounded horrible, with her country-ized, uneven, off-key twang to one of my favorite songs. 

I thought so too.  Blind audition, my ass.

Isn't it about time for Born Again Barbie to start her promotional tour and spare us her talking points?

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Did they announce Raven's name in the opening of the show?

Yes, they did.

• Love 4

I like CCB's new hair. Less Prom Queen, more 21st Century.

Her voice still grates, though. As do her politics. Reminds me that the Religious Right is neither (imho, of course). So scared of change and legal abortion that they're willing to overlook everything else.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

All I really heard was the Colin Kaepernick stuff.  So Miss Whoopi made herself look good AND managed to slap Paula down on the very first show of the season. It was quite the opening day for her.  I wonder if she is going to openly and obviously go after Paula every chance she gets like she did last season.  I have mixed feelings about it ... on one hand I can't stand Paula and enjoy seeing anyone shut her down.  But I don't like watching Whoopi bully people and push them around.  Hey I have an idea!  Let's get rid of BOTH of them!!  It's not too late, is it???

It makes me sick that Sunny won't be there every day.  If she were *I* might be there every day. But I do not see myself going out of my way to watch this show when 6 out of the 8 of them annoy the piss out of me and chances are Sunny won't be around to counteract their awfulness. 

Bolding mine, this is why I don't watch anymore and just pop in when the show makes sparks anymore.

I just cannot abide CCB or Jediblahblah, (or Paula a lot of the time) so I'm out.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And boy did Paula prove Joy's point about them all being liars with her reaction: "Your daughter's voice is phenomenal!!"

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And boy did Paula prove Joy's point about them all being liars with her reaction: "Your daughter's voice is phenomenal!!"

Or, as Barbara would say..."Now THAT'S a baby!"

• Love 13

Even when I don't watch for months, this show can still drag me back in.  At least for a minute or two.

I watched the 20 year special on Monday and the closeness between the earlier co-hosts really highlighted how bad the current cast is. In the beginning they really did seem like a group of friends sitting around chatting. And I liked all of them - Barbara, Joy, Meredith, Star & Debbie/Lisa.  

Now I really only like Joy.  Of the ones at the table yesterday, Sara would be my next favourite.  Followed by Whoopi, Candace and a distant last, Paula. 

I doubt I'll watch today, but I'll probably be lurking on the forums, as usual.

• Love 4

Jed is obsessed with Hillary and I think it's disgusting.  They can't get through a conversation without her bringing it back to Hillary.  

Why in the hell did they hire her and where is Sunny?!?!

• Love 9

God, I can’t stand Jedidiah. I’m glad Whoopi railed on her about what she is. One minute she’s a rightwinger, next minute she’s a Libertarian, she's whatever she pretends to be depending on what's most convenient for her spin. I don’t believe for a second that anyone who is socially liberal would defend Trump like she does. And her fake laughs and smiles, and caterwauling. F*** her. The show should be required to have Sunny there whenever Jedistupid appears. She’s the only one who never lets that repulsive troll get away with anything. And is it me or do these Foxbots all have an obsession with talking about how hip and sexual they are to try to overcompensate with the fact that they are all wet blankets? Elisabeth did it, Candace does it, Paula does it, and Jedi does it. You're not impressing anybody.

Joy was hilarious when they had her go into that dumb airblowing box for the contest. And I couldn’t help laughing at Whoopi’s face after Joy threw down the goggles and they started reading the card. The rest of them were focused on the number on the card, but Whoopi was looking down at the goggles.

• Love 15

Hi, abstractstuff!

I believe everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'm tired of constantly hearing CCM & Paula say they can't support political candidates who don't share their faith or Christian values, or Jedidiah defending Trump's hateful comments about immigrants, minorities, women,  gays & people belonging to other religions, make many long-time viewers think ABC only wants Christian, Fox News, Trump supporters watching their show & don't care if long-time loyal viewers tune out.

• Love 7

Today's opening seemed to only have the hosts appearing today in it.

Interesting. I didn't watch today but will check for that.

Guess it will be easier to "poof" someone out when they aren't shown in the opening for weeks. I'm expecting Raven to go next but it should be CCB. Airhead Sara Haines is there to stay. I give her one season.

I should have been drinking when I watched today. Seems the show is still sticking to not researching or clearly they didn't watch or read about the Lochte interviews-dumb asshole didn't admit he lied-so STFU Jediliar that he did so and thus deserves his fucking "redemption on DWTS. I'm not giving the others any passes, either because they don't know the difference between a lie and "over exaggeration."

And that foxbot can't have it both ways: oh just ignore the character "issues" for the "alleged" sexual harasser Ailes and abuser Banon on Drumpf's campaign because "they're good at what they do" and their jobs. But with Hillary, her double and treble downing on ignore what Hillary has DONE and her record of PUBLIC SERVICE, but keep harping on the "lies" and the deader than dead horse "BENGHAZI!!!!" bullshit. Joy should have pinned her on that-the double standard. If Sunny had been there today, she would have shut that troll's ass down but good. Libertarian/Independent, my ass.

Now I have a headache. Will post other thoughts later.  Maybe.

• Love 13

I am not sure how Joy equates Ryan Lochte (that swimmer guy) appearing on Dancing With The Stars with that college rapist who got the slap on the wrist. Is the raper going to be on the show, too? Of course not, I realize, but why even bring him up? I don't think their crimes are remotely comparable.  And what benefit of his crime is the raper receiving?  I didn't understand that at all, and if someone can explain it to me, that would be great.

Whoopi's valley girl voice has always struck me as being a crude racial parody and it did again today.  She breaks it out to make fun of some "dumb white girl" concern (such as Taylor Swift's love life) and people just laugh.  Well I wonder how she would feel if someone used some kind of stereotypical Black girl voice to mock a story that touched on a dumb issue of unique concern to young Black women. I don't think it would go over very well.

Jedidumbass can get off my TV anytime. She just rants and won't shut up and let anyone else talk.  She repeats herself just to hold onto the floor. It's like she's filibustering so no one can contradict her. Joy had such a good point about how if apologizing is sufficient to put an issue to rest, why is she still riding Hilary Clinton's ass after she apologized for her poor email choices. Of course Jediblah just ignored her point and delved back into her  laundry list of other offenses HRC has committed that justify her wrath. It was like watching a live reading of the Real Housewives of NYC thread. When someone shoots down one argument, you don't acknowledge their point, you just make a different one and go on and on until people get tired of listening to you. Ugh anyway ...

Sara needs to stop the little rapid clapping under her chin thing she does to show she is pleased by something. She did it yesterday and again today when they were talking about the debates. I know it's a small thing but it is so dorky and juvenile.  I am trying not to dislike her because she's so .... benign. And there are some other people on the show who are so much more deserving of my scorn. But I just really want her to stop with the stupid clapping.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 17
52 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And that foxbot can't have it both ways: oh just ignore the character "issues" for the "alleged" sexual harasser Ailes and abuser Banon on Drumpf's campaign because "they're good at what they do" and their jobs.

Did they cover David Bossie being hired by Trump too?  That's a gruesome threesome with Ailes and Bannon.

• Love 3

Sara needs to stop the little rapid clapping under her chin thing she does to show she is pleased by something. She did it yesterday and again today when they were talking about the debates. I know it's a small thing but it is so dorky and juvenile.  I am trying not to dislike her because she's so .... benign. And there are some other people on the show who are so much more deserving of my scorn.

Oh, give her your scorn.

Most of the time she has this confused, puzzled look on her face. So maybe she claps when she finally understands something!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I am not sure how Joy equates Ryan Lochte (that swimmer guy) appearing on Dancing With The Stars with that college rapist who got the slap on the wrist. Is the raper going to be on the show, too? Of course not, I realize, but why even bring him up? I don't think their crimes are remotely comparable.  And what benefit of his crime is the raper receiving?  I didn't understand that at all, and if someone can explain it to me, that would be great.

Whoopi's valley girl voice has always struck me as being a crude racial parody and it did again today.  She breaks it out to make fun of some "dumb white girl" concern (such as Taylor Swift's love life) and people just laugh.  Well I wonder how she would feel if someone used some kind of stereotypical Black girl voice to mock a story that touched on a dumb issue of unique concern to young Black women. I don't think it would go over very well.

Jedidumbass can get off my TV anytime. She just rants and won't shut up and let anyone else talk.  She repeats herself just to hold onto the floor. It's like she's filibustering so no one can contradict her. Joy had such a good point about how if apologizing is sufficient to put an issue to rest, why is she still riding Hilary Clinton's ass after she apologized for her poor email choices. Of course Jediblah just ignored her point and delved back into her  laundry list of other offenses HRC has committed that justify her wrath. It was like watching a live reading of the Real Housewives of NYC thread. When someone shoots down one argument, you don't acknowledge their point, you just make a different one and go on and on until people get tired of listening to you. Ugh anyway ...

Sara needs to stop the little rapid clapping under her chin thing she does to show she is pleased by something. She did it yesterday and again today when they were talking about the debates. I know it's a small thing but it is so dorky and juvenile.  I am trying not to dislike her because she's so .... benign. And there are some other people on the show who are so much more deserving of my scorn. But I just really want her to stop with the stupid clapping.

My bold.  Great post, Celia!!!  Sometimes, like today, Joy really gets on my nerves.  That comment about Lochte & the college rapist was so vapid, I couldn't wrap my head around it.  I was also pissed about Sara's little girl clapping.  Gawd!!!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Yeah, Joy lost me there too. AND she got it wrong. That Rapist had been sentenced to 6 months for rape, but was released after three for "good behavior."  I think what Joy was trying to say was that WHITE men get off easy/never have to pay for their crimes/fuckups/lies. I wish she would have just come out and said it, instead of couching it/framing it as "some people" or whatever she said. But yeah, there is no COMPARISON between the two.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, Joy lost me there too. AND she got it wrong. That Rapist had been sentenced to 6 months for rape, but was released after three for "good behavior."  I think what Joy was trying to say was that WHITE men get off easy/never have to pay for their crimes/fuckups/lies. I wish she would have just come out and said it, instead of couching it/framing it as "some people" or whatever she said. But yeah, there is no COMPARISON between the two.

Yes, this whole thing made no sense.  At first I was completely alarmed that this rapist was going to be on DWTS!  Thankfully that wasn't the case.  And she also missed out some important facts because he could have received a longer sentence, and the judge is being lambasted for the short sentence, because he didn't want to ruin the rapist's life.  She suggested that the short sentence was due to how he raped her.  This is actually a very important story and one that a women's show should be addressing, but Joy really messed up the facts and the analogy made no sense.  As for Ryan Idiot Lochte, he has suffered consequences.  His dumb and offensive actions pretty much ruined any financial benefit he would have received from his Olympic win.  I am sure DWTS just kept him for ratings, but no one is ever going to see this guy in a good light.  He is not getting a career reboot, he is careening into the ditch.

Jediblahblah's story about how she was named was the only interesting thing I have ever heard her say.  If she is just going to shriek about Benghazi and Hillary lying all season long, I am going to have sit this out.

• Love 4

I thought Joy was trying to point out that as a society we give huge passes to famous athletes; particularly white young men who fit a certain image no matter how much they buck it with their behavior. At least that is kind of what I got she might be going for.  But didn't get there.  I mean I loathe Lyin'Ryan Lochte.  I think his sense of privilege is offensive and while I don't actively wish him physical harm, if I, say, opened my GoogleNews feed and saw the headline was a video of him slipping on the dancefloor and breaking a hip?  I'm not even saying I would mutter cheerfully, 'karma you spoiled idiotic punk'.  I'm not saying I wouldn't.  But for the sake of transparency, I cannot lie.  I might be tempted to outright laugh.  Just might.

But Joy's correlation does not work despite the recentness of both in the news simply because they are just divided too widely on a huge spectrum of offense.   If he had been a laundry list of offenders that showed the range of a still general social practice it might have. 

I keep feeling Jediblahblah is going to start clapping like a seal for a fish at her own delivery of her talking points that are nowhere near as sharp or emphatic despite her tone of voice.  There is just something odd in her delivery now they are back.  It's kind of a mix of professional wrestling rhetorical delivery and head tossing "so there" thirteen year old.  She can go.  Heck they all can. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, bannana said:

Jediblahblah's story about how she was named was the only interesting thing I have ever heard her say.  If she is just going to shriek about Benghazi and Hillary lying all season long, I am going to have sit this out.

I wish someone on the panel would ask her if she knows how many government employees died in embassies during the Bush years. According to Politifact it was 60. 

Yeah, Joy was clumsy in her attempt to point out white male privilege by comparing Lochte with the rapist. Big difference between the idiot and the psychopath. 

• Love 8