Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Here, you simply have to be a resident to participate in our soccer club, softball, basketball, and all recreation commission activities. I would guess other sports do the same but I have not been involved with them.

I think that's true everywhere, but I think the earlier post was referring to school sanctioned sports.  Used to be, homeschooled kids weren't allowed to join the high school team no matter how good they were.  Nowadays, many communities allow homeschoolers to try out for the local school teams and participate.  Jeremy Vuolo has said he left homeschooling for a regular high school in order to play varsity soccer on their team (and it led him down the path of sin and corruption).  He probably could join the team while remaining homeschooled for everything else now.

• Love 8
(edited)

Amy's husband Dillon put up photos on Instagram of a house he's renovating, which he says is the house Amy grew up in. So is it Deanna's current home? Or Is it another house that Mary owns? Perhaps it's the house that Mary is going to live in now?

Edited by OpieTaylor
  • Love 2
On 06/04/2018 at 2:22 PM, Bridget said:

As a teacher myself (K-12, English, history and a SpEd credential), I have seen a lot of teaching and learning, and I am SO damn curious about the curriculum along with what a “school day” looks like for them.

Josie’s workbook looks like pre-school or Kindergarten material to me. I guess the Duggar “grade system” is based on a timetable similar to the one used for dog years (no disrespect to every precious dog on the planet!).

Relying on computers by grade 3 only further isolates these “students”, even if their “classmates” are their siblings. That’s one more lost shot at practicing social skills and mastering verbal expression (i.e. mastering “neat”, “special” and “encouraging” in the English language!).

Laptops are OK in terms of accessing content for some things, but the “cons” outweigh the “pros” in more ways than I can begin to list,  especially when there is such a heavy usage or dependency of any type of electronic device, educational or not. The reality is that kids ARE addicted to phones, iPads and other devices and the regression that happens by the time they get to classroom is real. Most students are losing fine motor skills and they almost all have the handwriting of serial killers, struggle to think critically and cannot express themselves verbally if their lives depended on it.

ransomizer.com.fileZX8vCE.jpg

• Love 4
On 4/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, OpieTaylor said:

Amy's husband Dillon put up photos on Instagram of a house he's renovating, which he says is the house Amy grew up in. So is it Deanna's current home? Or Is it another house that Mary owns? Perhaps it's the house that Mary is going to live in now?

It would be interesting finding out the history of the renovated house. I'm thinking this house must be one Amy & Deanna lived in when Amy was younger. They have shown Deanna's house on 19 K&C and it was a much more modern house than this one. Don't know if Deanna (& Mary?) still live there. 

Is Austin or any Duggars helping in the renovation? 

• Love 2
On 4/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, BitterApple said:

Good grief, is Josie still learning letters at 8?! Most kids I know are reading chapter books by third grade. I know she might have delays due to her birth circumstances, but the Duggars play it off like she's completely normal, so I'm taking it as a sign they can't homeschool for crap.

My daughter was reading Harry Potter by then.  By age 8, she was probably better educated than many of the adult Duggers

• Love 15

I was browsing this forum and wanted to comment about the photo of Josie and the workbook. The workbook is a PACE from the ACE curriculum and it's at least 1st grade since kindergarten involves no independent reading by the student.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, catkit said:

I was browsing this forum and wanted to comment about the photo of Josie and the workbook. The workbook is a PACE from the ACE curriculum and it's at least 1st grade since kindergarten involves no independent reading by the student.

Wouldn't a child Josie's age be in 3rd grade?

15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Wouldn't a child Josie's age be in 3rd grade?

Since she turned 8 this school year, she would be in 2nd grade in most public schools. It's also possible that the PACE pictured could be from ACE's second grade curriculum rather then 1st grade, as reading isn't taught at all until 1st grade. If that is the case, she is at most a year behind or at grade level for the curriculum they are using.

Edited by catkit
Adding detail
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Ah, Christian school memories!  I did paces for several high school level classes and am still recovering from not learning those subjects!  

But at least you know that the United States is a free country and some evil people are trying to take away our freedom. And, that God made EVERYTHING so you don't have to worry your little head about science. God is control and only evil people trying to take away our freedom believe in global warming and people causing animals to become extinct.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

But at least you know that the United States is a free country and some evil people are trying to take away our freedom. And, that God made EVERYTHING so you don't have to worry your little head about science. God is control and only evil people trying to take away our freedom believe in global warming and people causing animals to become extinct.

I was forced to Christian school for 8 years, complete with bullying and abuse.  I came out of that wary of the school system and never trusted a teacher other than one.  Screw it all at some times I think, but you MUST teach the kids math, science, geography, and for the love of all the Gods - writing and cursive

• Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

OMG, as a teacher, those math pages are making me twitch. Way to teach kids by rote with ZERO understanding. 

Well, can't have those little buggers UNDERSTANDING things now. If you did, next thing you know, they might be THINKING things.....And then -- heaven forfend! -- ASKING things. And then, next thing you know, QUESTIONING things.... REASONING ABOUT things. ~shudder~

That "understanding" stuff is the road straight to hell, I tells ya. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jackson turns 14 later this month. Will be ever grow?

That was my first thought too. I think Hannie is close to the same height as Jana or Joy and she's 12. Maybe a couple of inches shorter. But Jackson looks the same height as Jenni and Tyler, who are 3-4 years younger than him.

• Love 1

To be fair, some kids just grow late. My son is 15.5 and only in the past few months has begun to shoot up, and is still the shortest in his grade. He eats a great diet, and gets all the needed care and medical visits. I can’t be down on Jackson or his family for his short stature.  Sometimes it just is what it is.  

• Love 21

I'm remembering Home Improvement back in the '90s. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was one of the three child actors who played Tim's sons. He stayed short and looked the same for so long that eventually they had to do an episode on why he didn't grow. 

That being said most of the boys I knew at his age were on the short side.  They grew taller a few years later. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, awaken said:

To be fair, some kids just grow late. My son is 15.5 and only in the past few months has begun to shoot up, and is still the shortest in his grade. He eats a great diet, and gets all the needed care and medical visits. I can’t be down on Jackson or his family for his short stature.  Sometimes it just is what it is.  

Oh, I'm not bagging on him, just making an oft-repeated observation. The poor kid is obviously a late bloomer like his greaseball of a father.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Can someone help me out here? Left to right: Hannie, Jackson, J'Tyler, Jenni, ???, and feral Josie, is that right? Who is the one I cannot identify? 

35 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Thank you! When you have kids in a herd, they tend to blend together.

The unfortunate thing is that they may actually be more of an undifferentiated herd to their sickening parents than they are to use. They are numbers only to godly mama and godly daddy, in my opinion. Sickening. 

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

The unfortunate thing is that they may actually be more of an undifferentiated herd to their sickening parents than they are to use. They are numbers only to godly mama and godly daddy, in my opinion. Sickening. 

@Churchhoney, you might want to check out the video I posted on the Boobchelle board. He proves your hypothesis. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, drafan said:

Is the pic for the cover of their brochure?

Not as far as I know. ALERT has an Instagram apparently. Someone posted the picture into a FJ posted on Big Sandy.  The picture depicted some boys in a classroom some of whom were Duggar boys and Bates boys. I hadn't known the Bates did Alert. I would have linked to the picture, but I don't have Instagram and I'm not good at linking things. 

Edited by Temperance
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They have Junior ALERT at the conferences for boys up to 18. Was it these ages Duggar and Bates boys in the picture?

Probably, I'm not sure. 

Edited by Temperance
On May 12, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Kokapetl said:

I'm happy it seems they got the message to get rid of those cheap arse flip flops.

I get that currently it's a trend to put bike shorts or such under young girls dresses, but can they not size them correctly so they don't stick out under their skirts???

I think Josie stole Austin's "dress" shoes.

Why, if bare shoulders and such are such a no, no, do they buy those outfits and then stick a damn t-shirt under it?  

Also can someone find clothing size appropriate for Josie - it looks like she's wearing something from like Jana or Jessa in size.

• Love 4

I don't understand why Johannah is still wearing leggings under her dresses. Isn't she too old to play? I'm pretty sure when Joy Anna was about that age Michelle made the comment that it was time for her to stop childish things and start learning how to be a lady/mother/J-slave.

Josie's clothes never seem to fit her and always seem to be "off", either too baggy, too layered, frumpy, just not appropriate for the situation.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I get that currently it's a trend to put bike shorts or such under young girls dresses, but can they not size them correctly so they don't stick out under their skirts???

But if you couldn't see the leggings/bike shorts, how would you know they are so much more special and holy than the rest of us? 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm happy it seems they got the message to get rid of those cheap arse flip flops.

I think Josie stole Austin's "dress" shoes.

Why, if bare shoulders and such are such a no, no, do they buy those outfits and then stick a damn t-shirt under it?  

Also can someone find clothing size appropriate for Josie - it looks like she's wearing something from like Jana or Jessa in size.

I agree with every word.

The Duggar girls always look awful. I wouldn't harp on their physical appearance so much except they, themselves, make such a big deal about it. These girls aren't busy with sports and science projects and just unconcerned about their appearance. Their clothes, even when they're nice, look awful -- they don't fit, or they wear an entire ensemble of pants and shirt underneath, or they're inappropriate for the weather or the occasion. Why is that girl wearing boots with that skirt? Why doesn't Josie own ANY clothes that fit? She looks like an extra from Annie.

• Love 11

I think the sad explanation is that Josie is picking out her outfits herself . . . which is fine for playing around the house, but not for going out in public/being photographed. And it's not like she has a special closet or drawer of Josie-sized clothes that she can go to.

• Love 6

I wouldn’t judge if these were normal people. I decided to pick my battles and let my daughter start picking her outfits when she was 3, and she wears some pretty outlandish and sometimes frumpy stuff. And she always insists on wearing leggings under her dresses even though it ruins the look.

Back to the Duggars, though. We know they don’t care about letting their children express themselves through clothing and they’re all about control. So if the kids look tacky, it’s because they’re either forced to wear certain clothes or left to themselves out of laziness. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I definitely agree battling little kids over non-matching clothing isn't a battle worth fighting. As long as the outfit is weather appropriate, I say let it ride.

With The Littles though, you get the vibe that nobody's ever cared to take the time and make sure they have a few nice things in the correct sizes. There's just an overall aura of neglect that goes far beyond clothes. Like Jordyn could walk off the property and be gone for three days before anyone would notice. It's very sad.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 23
6 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I wouldn’t judge if these were normal people. I decided to pick my battles and let my daughter start picking her outfits when she was 3, and she wears some pretty outlandish and sometimes frumpy stuff. And she always insists on wearing leggings under her dresses even though it ruins the look.

Back to the Duggars, though. We know they don’t care about letting their children express themselves through clothing and they’re all about control. So if the kids look tacky, it’s because they’re either forced to wear certain clothes or left to themselves out of laziness. 

Exactly. Sometimes I see little girls when I'm out who are wearing some outrageous ensemble -- princess dress and leggings with a jean jacket and glitter high-tops. You know she dressed herself, and she feels beautiful.

3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I definitely agree battling little kids over non-matching clothing isn't a battle worth fighting. As long as the outfit is weather appropriate, I say let it ride.

With The Littles though, you get the vibe that nobody's ever cared to take the time and make sure they have a few nice things in the correct sizes. There's just an overall aura of neglect that goes far beyond clothes. Like Jordyn could walk off the property and be gone for three days before anyone would notice. It's very sad.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I made the "Annie" comment above. They look neglected because they are neglected. It's not about money, or fashion sense, it's about caring. People (most people) care about their children. They keep them clean, dress them in the best clothing they can (especially for outings or photos), and want them to look their best. My mother still pushes my hair out of my eyes, or tucks it back behind my ears when she thinks it's not right. It matters to her -- I matter to her. That's just not the case for these kids.

On a completely unrelated note, J'Tyler seems to be doing well. In all of the photos that I see of him, his smile reaches his eyes. I don't know what kind of a hell-hole he was living in, but the TTH seems to agree with him.

• Love 21

When my daughters were younger, I would tell them I considered their rooms 75% cleaned up, if their beds were made. I feel the same way about hair being brushed or combed making them look 75% put together. Just look clean! My mother used to call it, “ looking like you belonged to someone “.

• Love 12