Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

For the love of Pistol Pete, I agree Derick aka Pistol Pete should put his Pistol Pete ego aside and go find a job where he can support Pistol Pete, Jilly Dilly, Izzy, and baby Pistol Pete. Of course I say this will all the love of Pistol Pete in my amazing, season of life, blessed, love babe heart.

Btw, I take credit for the term For the of Love Pistol Pete. If you want to be able to use to the term, please feel free to make a small cash donation using my donation box on my For the Love of Pistol Pete website page.

Is your DONATE!!! button a really ugly, grizzled, paper mache cowboy head? :D

• Love 7

Since the Duggar, Dullard, and Seewald blogs all have the same format c.2001, can we assume that a Duggar Howler, or maybe Josiah, runs them all? As in, Dullard and Ben send him their screeds, and Josiah formats pictures and posts said screeds (and DONATE!!!!) buttons? 

Jeremy's blog has a different format. He had content showing up on it when he was still at his wedding reception, but the wedding ran late (which we didn't know at the time), so I don't know if they were even married yet when his posts went up! LOL FWIW, I bet he runs his own blog. I hope he updates Jinger's content soon; her "likes" are from a Duggar blog post from years ago. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Jeeves said:

They may not have been hired by the IMB even if they'd done all the coursework. For one thing, the IMB application process includes an evaluation of the applicants beyond transcripts. I'm sure they look for applicants (and spouses when it's a couple) with the appropriate personality traits and maturity levels for foreign mission work. I think that Jill's emotional and social immaturity would have been apparent to them in any kind of serious interview/evaluation process, and I don't think they would want to risk the problems that would likely result from sending an emotionally fragile spouse out to a foreign country.  And who knows if Derick, although he went to Nepal for a limited time under some informal deal with the IMB, would make the cut for a career position? 

This happened to my sister.  Her whole childhood, she told everyone she was going to be a missionary. That is all she ever wanted to be. Of course, she had grandiose ideas of helping people, but she did work very hard. She attended an Assembly of God Bible college. She earned a Bachelor's degree in missions, and a secondary degree in early childhood education.

She met and married her husband there. He also majored in Missions. He was rejected several times during several interviews as unsuitable for mission work.  He is a very strange man! My sister never did get to be a missionary.  She has spent her whole adult life making minimum wage in day care centers.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, louannems said:

This happened to my sister.  Her whole childhood, she told everyone she was going to be a missionary. That is all she ever wanted to be. Of course, she had grandiose ideas of helping people, but she did work very hard. She attended an Assembly of God Bible college. She earned a Bachelor's degree in missions, and a secondary degree in early childhood education.

She met and married her husband there. He also majored in Missions. He was rejected several times during several interviews as unsuitable for mission work.  He is a very strange man! My sister never did get to be a missionary.  She has spent her whole adult life making minimum wage in day care centers.

Wow, what a huge disappointment for your sister. And she earned a Bachelor's degree in relevant subjects. (Which is a heckuva lot more than either of the Dillards has done.) I'm sorry she didn't get to realize her dream to be a missionary. It is interesting to know that the church/missionary organizations really do assess candidates' suitability for mission work - I assume it's a personality/psychological assessment of some kind. Or, in some cases probably just common sense. And in your sister's situation it was her husband who didn't make the cut. How sad!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Btw, I take credit for the term For the of Love Pistol Pete. If you want to be able to use to the term, please feel free to make a small cash donation using my donation box on my For the Love of Pistol Pete website page.

OMG I want to see that website soooooo bad. Just registered www.fortheloveofpistolpete.org for you. 

• Love 12

I find it ironic that Derick put in four hard years, and who knows how much money, to basically throw his education away. He hasn't used his degree in over a year and shows no sign of wanting to. All he talks about is the lord. Is the Jill kool aid that strong? I know lots of people have degrees they don't use, but it's almost like he's giving higher ed the middle finger. I Think his mother must've pushed him to major in something practical she could get him a job in, and this is how he passive aggressively expresses his displeasure with it.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I find it ironic that Derick put in four hard years, and who knows how much money, to basically throw his education away. He hasn't used his degree in over a year and shows no sign of wanting to. All he talks about is the lord. Is the Jill kool aid that strong? I know lots of people have degrees they don't use, but it's almost like he's giving higher ed the middle finger. I Think his mother must've pushed him to major in something practical she could get him a job in, and this is how he passive aggressively expresses his displeasure with it.

I know plenty of Jesus freak engineers and other high level professionals who won't throw their education away.  They go to work every day BECAUSE they believe it is their God-given desire and obligation to WORK to provide for themselves and their families. 

Yeah, I think the Gothard Koolaid is THAT strong, because Gothard has strong rules and admonitions about being alone with or befriending female coworkers. Billy Boy seemed to make exceptions for himself to be alone with young girls so he could play footsie with them, but I digress.  Steve Maxwell worked as an electrical engineer until he got a taste of the Koolaid, and quit his job while he had 5 kids and a stay at home wife, rather than deal with the indignity and inappropriateness of having to work alongside a female engineer! 

Gothard discourages working for "the man" as well as the temptation of female coworkers , so Boob didn't like Derick working at Wallyworld, even though we well know the Duggs are always shopping there or at Sam's.  Go figure...

It's also possible that Derick hates being an accountant, but had to choose a "sensible" career. He doesn't have to work as an accountant, but he can't spend the rest of his life drifting and grifting when he's got a wife and two kids to provide for. 

Message for Dillbun: Real men who love Jesus WORK to provide for their families. Getting a reality TV show isn't a long term thang and short-term paid missioncations aren't going to be enough once the TeeVee $$$$ dries up. Face it, you and your inlaws aren't interesting enough to warrant 10 to 30 episodes a year; even your leg humper Duggar lover fans are tiring of this fare and format. They will be down to occasional catching up specials. You may be needing a game plan here.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, JoanArc said:

What are you talking about?  Of course he uses his accounting degree.  He has to actually count all that money that comes in from the DONATE button!

1 Derick.jpg

• Love 4

Folks, please, keep the political engagement talk off this site. Several posts have been hidden. Posting about or recruiting others to engage in social media especially about the current political climate is not only off topic it is bound to lead to political talk. Thanks.

• Love 2
On 2/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Jeeves said:

They may not have been hired by the IMB even if they'd done all the coursework. For one thing, the IMB application process includes an evaluation of the applicants beyond transcripts. I'm sure they look for applicants (and spouses when it's a couple) with the appropriate personality traits and maturity levels for foreign mission work. I think that Jill's emotional and social immaturity would have been apparent to them in any kind of serious interview/evaluation process, and I don't think they would want to risk the problems that would likely result from sending an emotionally fragile spouse out to a foreign country.  And who knows if Derick, although he went to Nepal for a limited time under some informal deal with the IMB, would make the cut for a career position? 

I wouldn't be surprised if they would have been turned down just because Jill was a dyed-in-the-wool member of the Gothard cult. There have been tons of people who've clamored to get those IMB jobs. They would never have to take some not only fragile but potentially brainwashed woman who might start spouting some crazy Gothard stuff about who knows what in some delicate situation.

IMB did make news a year or two by saying that they'd no longer automatically count you out if you'd ever spoken in tongues. But they appear to have done that reluctantly and only because Pentecostal missionaries are apparently making strides in some places. They clearly still are leery of putting people with fringe-y beliefs into these positions. They'd prefer missionaries that they believe will behave like sober adults. And since Gothardites aren't a big hot competitor to them these days, they don't need to open the door to somebody who's likely to start pitching those fringe beliefs. 

• Love 6
On 2/22/2017 at 11:10 AM, Jeeves said:

They may not have been hired by the IMB even if they'd done all the coursework. For one thing, the IMB application process includes an evaluation of the applicants beyond transcripts. I'm sure they look for applicants (and spouses when it's a couple) with the appropriate personality traits and maturity levels for foreign mission work.  . . 

40 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they would have been turned down just because Jill was a dyed-in-the-wool member of the Gothard cult. There have been tons of people who've clamored to get those IMB jobs. They would never have to take some not only fragile but potentially brainwashed woman who might start spouting some crazy Gothard stuff about who knows what in some delicate situation.

IMB did make news a year or two by saying that they'd no longer automatically count you out if you'd ever spoken in tongues. But they appear to have done that reluctantly and only because Pentecostal missionaries are apparently making strides in some places. They clearly still are leery of putting people with fringe-y beliefs into these positions. They'd prefer missionaries that they believe will behave like sober adults. And since Gothardites aren't a big hot competitor to them these days, they don't need to open the door to somebody who's likely to start pitching those fringe beliefs. 

That's a good point, @Churchhoney. And thinking of the IMB confronted with the idea of taking on a dyed-in-the-wool Gothardite who is ALSO a TV reality celebrity, I realize it's giggleworthy. I'm no expert but I think the IMB wouldn't welcome that kind of publicity or attention. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

That's a good point, @Churchhoney. And thinking of the IMB confronted with the idea of taking on a dyed-in-the-wool Gothardite who is ALSO a TV reality celebrity, I realize it's giggleworthy. I'm no expert but I think the IMB wouldn't welcome that kind of publicity or attention. 

Very good point about the Gothard-plus-reality-TV. Thinking of that combo, I can't imagine that they would've considered taking Jill and Derick for a second. Being tabloid fodder wouldn't appeal. And being tabloid fodder plus having a Gothard-loose-cannon running around with their imprimatur. No way. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think this thread needs a new title.

The Dullards: Let's Draw a Veil Over This One, Shall We? 

The Dullards: Goofier Than Even We Can Deal With? 

The Dullards: Maybe Their Children Will Save Them?

The Dullards: Oy gevalt.   ? 

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Very good point about the Gothard-plus-reality-TV. Thinking of that combo, I can't imagine that they would've considered taking Jill and Derick for a second. Being tabloid fodder wouldn't appeal. And being tabloid fodder plus having a Gothard-loose-cannon running around with their imprimatur. No way. 

They would have been safe from the Gothard-speak though, because they don't speak Spnish.

27 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

They would have been safe from the Gothard-speak though, because they don't speak Spnish.

Gothard's books are published in Spanish.  And, there are photos of the Duggars handing out Gothard books on SOS trips in Central America.

1 Gothard.jpg

19 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Gothard's books are published in Spanish.  And, there are photos of the Duggars handing out Gothard books on SOS trips in Central America.

1 Gothard.jpg

Indeed. 

Heck, the Wallers taught Gothard stuff in Mongolia, of all places. 

Gothard will not be hindered, by language or by distance. 

• Love 2

So Derick and Jill took Spanish lessons for months and have nothing to show? I'm not the brightest bulb but self taught sign language to lessen frustration frustration with both my children. My oldest struggled with a speech delay, and my youngest was adopted internationally at sixteen months. They both still remember a lot of the signs, and my youngest has not consistently used it in five years. WTF did they do in CA?

Also my husband and I took a year of Mandaring at our local university, because we think it's rude to meet your child and not be able to engage in basic communication with her caretakers, people we came across, etc. These two are just, ugh.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

11888.jpg

Start your Photoshop engines...while there's still 3 of them!

That was SUCH a disturbing movie. . . let's compare the moral compasses of those characters with those of the Dillards.

My nine year old daughter loves Shark Tank, and has a real knack for predicting who will get a deal. I wonder if Jill has the attention span to make it through an entire episode.  Then again I can't make it through an episode of Counting On.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

I convinced her to watch PBS's Victoria so maybe she'll introduce it to Jill and Derick.

Yes! This coming  Sunday on PBS will be a catch up marathon. It's so worth watching.  I've been enthralled.

Victoria and Albert were religious and had good morals, so I don't think Derick and Jill would find much in the series to be offended by it.

Defrauding necklines? Well, it was the fashion. 

Mistresses and other bad behavior? V&A were not amused by this.

Boob would not approve.

14 minutes ago, SMama said:

Yes Boob would not approve because Gothard forbid Derick realizes he can be a good Christian without being isolated or cray cray. 

We all know why Marjorie didn't stand a chance...blue jean wearing, college attending hussy, albeit a Christian college. Another example of someone who is a good Christian person with high morals who doesn't need chaperones and 24/7 accountability partners.

Quite frankly, I don't know how Jeremy tolerated this bullshit, but I think only Benessa chaperoned so it looked like a double date, instead of having a Howler Monkey in tow like Jill and Derick had to put up with.

• Love 5

I have no ill will towards Josiah, but I'm glad Marjorie is out of that soul killing (credit to Churchhoney), body snatching, hypocritical family.  They do completely absorb the in laws. Can't wait to see how Jeremy fares. I think Derick has been the most absorbed and negatively affected.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SMama said:

I have no ill will towards Josiah, but I'm glad Marjorie is out of that soul killing (credit to Churchhoney), body snatching, hypocritical family.  They do completely absorb the in laws. Can't wait to see how Jeremy fares. I think Derick has been the most absorbed and negatively affected.

The way they absorb the inlaws is mind boggling. Derick is the most vulnerable, because he lost his father at a young age, and perhaps sees a father figure in Boob. Even though his mom remarried, maybe he doesn't get on with the step. Jill is clearly the clingiest of the marrieds, so he probably has to deal with Boob more than he'd like, but "makes nice" to keep the peace.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Quite frankly, I don't know how Jeremy tolerated this bullshit, but I think only Benessa chaperoned so it looked like a double date, instead of having a Howler Monkey in tow like Jill and Derick had to put up with.

I'd rather have a Howler in tow, because you know he'll get distracted and wander off. Might actually get to have a conversation with your date. Jessa would narc in a split second if she thought she thought she could catch you doing something you shouldn't. 

How Jeremy out up with it? Cameras.

He likes the attention and the importance. We've yet to see if he's the one with enough balls to stay away, or get sucked into the TV Star vortex. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

The way they absorb the inlaws is mind boggling. Derick is the most vulnerable, because he lost his father at a young age, and perhaps sees a father figure in Boob. Even though his mom remarried, maybe he doesn't get on with the step. Jill is clearly the clingiest of the marrieds, so he probably has to deal with Boob more than he'd like, but "makes nice" to keep the peace.

The Duggars are like the Borg...Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.

• Love 13

Well I hope my outreach to Cathy will help wrest Jill and Derick from Boob and J'Chelle's clutches. I deliberately didn't bring up the missionary stuff because I didn't want to alienate her. My focus was on education and therapy for both of them because Derick needs it too. He hasn't recovered from his dad's death at all. I also told her I only watch clips of the show that feature her, Ben's friends and Jeremy's friends and family to send a message that I'm more interested in them and how they interact with the Duggars than the actual Duggar parents. I also told her that Gothardism is not a good thing because it robs people of their agency. She did make a joke that she lives in the real world.

• Love 22
9 hours ago, SMama said:

I am as well. Marjorie has too much potential to spend the rest of her life in that toxic waste dump known as the Duggar Family. She's smart and ambitious. Her personality is a little too Broadway for my tastes, but I respect her hustle.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Derick is the most vulnerable, because he lost his father at a young age, and perhaps sees a father figure in Boob. Even though his mom remarried, maybe he doesn't get on with the step. 

Plus I'm sure Jim Bob has aggressively tried to eat Derick alive, while the step dad has probably behaved like a, you know, normal person, who would allow a relationship to develop at its natural rate. That often can't compete with the steamroller approach, which can work very well with somebody who's feeling insecure and needy, unfortunately. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

I'm glad Cathy seems to have good intentions regarding her grandkids education. But realistically she has no way of accomplishing her sane and honorable goal. I have made my children's educational decisions no matter what the grandparents wanted. For example, my inlaws were dead set against bilingual education. I thanked them for their input and congratulated them on raising two adults who can only communicate in one language (hubby can get by in Spanish and Mandarin after meeting me). But my kids, my decision. I still wish her well, but she will be alone against the Duggar/Gothard machine.

• Love 11
59 minutes ago, SMama said:

Wait, that haircut is in the pool house bathroom, right? So was this prior to their let's get the heck out of dodge flight to CA? Where the heck are they?

TLC releases stuff after the fact all the time. They probably filmed this for a future episode.

For example, they held onto those couple interviews with Danni Starr for over a month before releasing them. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1