Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I was hoping it was something like this, especially since Scouts now allow gay troop leaders. Hopefully, girls will be allowed to join soon, if that floats their boat (and always reminds me of that Brady Bunch episode when Greg and Marcia switched troops). :D

I hope Dan has a wedding/reception more along the lines of Famy and her SB friends with no dress restrictions, dancing, and booze. Although I would bet you everything I own that JillyMuffin and her consort would be gone long before the shenanigans began, EXCEPT if Dan turns the tables and makes Derelict the Best Man. Then he has to stick around for the toast and watch people around him (maybe even his brother) drink champagne! Horrors! 

• Love 1

Girls get to be Girl Scouts, which are much less outdoorsy, although MUCH more inclusive.

Girl Scouts are probably best known for the cookies they sell, which are very tasty.

I was a girl scout long long ago and hated it; my troop was infested with Mean Girls.  I would have much preferred being a boy scout, but such things simply weren't done, not even for a huge tomboy like me.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Girls aren't allowed to be scouts in the US?

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are totally separate organizations. Neither are run by the government but are nonprofit corporations so they can set their own rules. They're just social clubs. Now I will say that the Boy Scouts camp did have some sort of 'sisters' division or group for siblings, and they did basically the same stuff the boys did. 

When I was a Girl Scout in the 80s and 90s we did a lot of first aid, community service, swimming/camping/etc. stuff along with the cookie sales. I have no idea what they do now. 

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

This is why Cathy Dillard Byrum has moved to my "snark" ledger. She left twitter in a huff when she couldn't handle the heat earlier this week. She failed to acknowledge that back-alley abortions were a reality when she was conceived and could be a thing again if people like her choose to continue to disregard the Constitution. Her denial was epic, and when she realized she was losing the debate, took her marbles and went home like a petulant four year-old. 

Cathy strikes me as extremely bitter about her adoption. I know she didn't get the Hallmark-style reunion she wanted with her birth mother, but it seems like her religious beliefs are tainting her views on the whole thing. I'm surprised she's still arguing with people on social media.

• Love 3

Cathy strikes me as extremely bitter about her adoption. I

More like bitter about her life. Adoption is just a convenient scapegoat she can express negativ through and justify her actions. Same with Michelle's first miscarriage.

• Love 2

Cathy's focus on her twitter rampage was all about the pro-life agenda. It had nothing to do with having cancer or being widowed. She claims that her mother, who she apparently met in her early 30's, IIRC, wasn't pleasant. She claims that the woman said she would have aborted Cathy had abortion been legal. Who knows if this is really true. Who would consent to a meeting, or even a phone call, then say that? I think someone exaggerated her case to make a more compelling story. Cathy's bio mom was in her early 30's herself when she was born; I'm sure she could have raised a child on her own if she wanted to. The woman's name never changed, so she was supporting herself somehow. 

FWIW, I'm adopted, never met my birth mother, but unlike Cathy's bio mom, she was younger and was put into one of those homes for unwed mothers. From what I know, my bio mom was just a weak reed, but even so, it was apparently hard for her to give me up; she tried to raise me for six months, only to finally give up. All this to say, every story is different, and even as an adoptee, I remain staunchly pro-choice. No woman should be forced into that corner of NO choice. 

So yeah, while I have sympathy for other areas of challenge in Cathy's life, I guess I have some issues with her on this topic.

• Love 14

The Dullards have posted a Family Announcement: http://www.dillardfamily.com/2016/7/family-announcement

"We are so excited to share that we will be returning in August for a short stateside term that will extend into the fall.  We are really looking forward to seeing our families after nearly 10 months on foreign soil. We plan on taking some Bible classes as we continue to work in ministry from the US. Serving in Central America has been an amazing experience so far for both of us (and Israel!). We feel like we’ve made great advancements in just learning the culture and the language as well as building relationships with so many precious people. Our time here so far has allowed us to see many hearts touched, many souls accept the redeeming love of Christ, and many sweet people helped through humanitarian efforts. We believe our labors until now will serve as a strong foundation for many years of wonderful ministry in the days to come. Even while we are in the United States we will continue to work on behalf of the ministry and the work in Central America will continue. Stay tuned to our website for more updates. Please do continue to pray for us and for the lives of those we’ve been called to minister to!"

I predict they will NOT return to Danger American any time soon.   

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

The Dullards have posted a Family Announcement: http://www.dillardfamily.com/2016/7/family-announcement

"We are so excited to share that we will be returning in August for a short stateside term that will extend into the fall.  We are really looking forward to seeing our families after nearly 10 months on foreign soil. We plan on taking some Bible classes as we continue to work in ministry from the US. Serving in Central America has been an amazing experience so far for both of us (and Israel!). We feel like we’ve made great advancements in just learning the culture and the language as well as building relationships with so many precious people. Our time here so far has allowed us to see many hearts touched, many souls accept the redeeming love of Christ, and many sweet people helped through humanitarian efforts. We believe our labors until now will serve as a strong foundation for many years of wonderful ministry in the days to come. Even while we are in the United States we will continue to work on behalf of the ministry and the work in Central America will continue. Stay tuned to our website for more updates. Please do continue to pray for us and for the lives of those we’ve been called to minister to!"

I predict they will NOT return to Danger American any time soon.   

It certainly ticks all the Duggar announcement boxes. 

"Precious", "excited", "touched hearts", "souls accepting the love of Christ", "sweet", "labors" and "wonderful ministry"

All it is missing is "season of life"!

• Love 4

They're so full of shit. The only family member I don't think they've seen in Danger America is Dan. Everyone else has been there at least once; several have been multiple times. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Jill, Jill, Jill. Implying you haven't seen your family for 10 months, when they trot through your Danger America villa every three weeks or so. Hell, its been less than a month since mom 'n daddy hung out with you on the beach.

They'll go back once filming the new season and wedding is done, and they've gritted enough for another year's vacation. Oh, and show us some of that Spanish, Dullards. It better be 'effin fluent by now.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 12

Yup. They'll stay through Jinger's wedding (I'm thinking October...they could already be engaged for all we know. TLC IS filming on the SLY right now.) then go back. But "autumn" extends all the way through December 21st. There could easily be a December wedding. No way Jinger dares to step on November; that's Jessa's month.  

• Love 2

]If I was a praying person I would do one thing Derrick requests: "[pray] for the lives of those we’ve been called to minister to."  Anyone being ministered to by the Dullards needs help and protection from more time wasted listening to them.

• Love 5

What I find most interesting about this statement is the phrase 'many sweet people helped through humanitarian efforts.'   That is such bullshit since all we've seen  them do or talk about is possibly learning the language, reading some bible stories, and praying over people.  Neither one of them have assisted in building a house, barn, fence, there's never been a picture of Jill actually working at a hospital with her supposed midwife skills or even applying a friggin band aid or cooking meals for hungry people in their area.  The only humans they helped were themselves.  I don't doubt that there are some that go into missionary work and actually do work but not these two, they are playing at it.  

One wonders if they'll go down there again thru this particular organization.  I certainly don't think they've proven their worth.  Could be some of the higher ups that make the decisions to extend invites for people to go on these missionary stays won't do so again.  

What does brother Dan do?  Besides Boy Scouts?  Does he have a job?

• Love 11

As annoying as the dull, dim Jillards are, I really hope they actually did some real, tangible good. But as Cherry posted before me, there isn't much evidence of them doing the things one normally would expect missionaries to do.  I think the whole idea of playing "missionary" went like this...

Muffy: I'm bored!

Dillweed: Let's play Missionary...

Muffy: Okay! Totally!

2 hours ago, ChocolateAddict said:

It certainly ticks all the Duggar announcement boxes. 

"Precious", "excited", "touched hearts", "souls accepting the love of Christ", "sweet", "labors" and "wonderful ministry"

All it is missing is "season of life"!

Well, they DID forget to mention Servant's Heart!!!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

What I find most interesting about this statement is the phrase 'many sweet people helped through humanitarian efforts.'   That is such bullshit since all we've seen  them do or talk about is possibly learning the language, reading some bible stories, and praying over people.  Neither one of them have assisted in building a house, barn, fence, there's never been a picture of Jill actually working at a hospital with her supposed midwife skills or even applying a friggin band aid or cooking meals for hungry people in their area.  The only humans they helped were themselves.  I don't doubt that there are some that go into missionary work and actually do work but not these two, they are playing at it.  

One wonders if they'll go down there again thru this particular organization.  I certainly don't think they've proven their worth.  Could be some of the higher ups that make the decisions to extend invites for people to go on these missionary stays won't do so again.  

What does brother Dan do?  Besides Boy Scouts?  Does he have a job?

Dan is some regional director for the Boy Scouts. He's posted pics meeting politicians and making speeches in his little scout uniform. 

Jerick will be back with SOS by the time the December crop of missioncationers arrive. That's the annual trip the Duggars took before the Dullards got involved. Derick did post a pic of some guys building *something* in the last week or two, so, something? I'm sure it's actually part of the SOS compound in some way, though. 

• Love 1

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are totally separate organizations. Neither are run by the government but are nonprofit corporations so they can set their own rules. They're just social clubs. Now I will say that the Boy Scouts camp did have some sort of 'sisters' division or group for siblings, and they did basically the same stuff the boys did. 

When I was a Girl Scout in the 80s and 90s we did a lot of first aid, community service, swimming/camping/etc. stuff along with the cookie sales. I have no idea what they do now. 

Not so different from here then, except there's just one Scout organization for both boys and girls and they do everything together. I was a Scout for a bit too when I was a kid but I soon realised that while I have nothing against nature per se, I prefer to view it from afar. Also there was a disctinct lack of cookies but a lot of knot tying.

That Dullard announcement is ridiculous and just proves that we've been right all along; they've been doing absolutely nothing of value while on their "mission". The whole thing is so vaguely phrased that it can mean anything and nothing; if they had done some missionary or humanitarian work they would have been able to describe what that was and in what capacity they did it. Instead we are told that they've seen it happen, which I suppose is their clever way of trying to convince their donors that they are real missionaries while not outright lying about it. Sneaky.

• Love 4

Part of me actually feels bad for Jill. When she was skipping through Nepal with Derick & JB, and visited the OB/GYN office, I really think that's what she thought being a missionary would be; strolling into this office and another, in her white coat with a stethoscope, delivering an occasional baby in a field or hut, all the while singing the praises of Jesus.  

I doubt she imagined that sitting in a cement fortress, alone for hours at a time, was what her life would be like.

The CDC recently found a Zika transmission from female to male through intercourse, and they've already noted the reverse. Jill has already posted that they've all been ill on more than one occasion. I hope they don't think that going back home makes it safe for them to get pregnant without getting tested for Zika. 

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Could be, but I think the group they're with has pretty much the same slant on everything as the Dugg/Dills. For one thing, the guy in charge is heavily Gothard related. And aside from some very vaguely described water project in Africa, what they mostly seem to do is host bunches of "dancing" U.S. fundie vacationers and "provide" various vague "conferences" and other meeting-type stuff for the locals. (the stuff we see in pics with the bored bored local kids and sometimes local adults, for example) Pretty much exactly what we've seen Jill, Derick (and the visiting Duggs) "doing."

Here's an example of the condescending, clueless, unhelpful very Duggarish crap they say:

"Improving Education:

"Not only are the local people enslaved to their sin, [Aargh] they are also entrapped in poverty and unable to further their education and escape. Seeing this problem, S.O.S. partners with local educators, providing school supplies [like U.S-bought, Duggar-delivered book bags] and improving the local facilities, as well as providing scholarships for students to be able to further their education ["scholarship" for two boys with a bilingual mother to study English, anyone?]. If you are interested in partnering with a local student or school, please contact us.

"Training Up Pastors:

Local pastors throughout the countries we serve in are often ill equipped and untrained to care for the flocks under their care. S.O.S. hosts annual pastors conferences to train up the indigenous leaders at local churches so that they are able to properly teach the word of God and care for their people. [Aargh]

"Christmas in Central America:

"Every December, we bring down thousands of Christmas gifts [i.e., cheap U.S-bought, Chinese-made crap dragged down at great expense to make the frolicking U.S. winter beach vacationers including the entire Dugg clan and the bigoted journaling Seewalds, for example, feel all righteous for doing NOTHING]  to minister to families of children in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras who are unable to afford any Christmas gifts. Not only is this an excellent opportunity to show love to the communities we serve in, it is also a powerful opportunity to share the Christmas story  [with Catholics] and share the gospel."

http://www.soshope.org/about/current-projects/

Just sayin.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

As annoying as the dull, dim Jillards are, I really hope they actually did some real, tangible good. But as Cherry posted before me, there isn't much evidence of them doing the things one normally would expect missionaries to do.  I think the whole idea of playing "missionary" went like this...

Muffy: I'm bored!

Dillweed: Let's play Missionary...

Muffy: Okay! Totally!

We did have high hopes for these two.  Dillweed actually being a college graduate, Cathy being the mother Jill never had (well that could be true, but meant more of Cathy influencing Jill to wear pants kind of thing)& Jill in some form using her midwifery skills. But it's been two years & things couldn't be more different....

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

We did have high hopes for these two.  Dillweed actually being a college graduate, Cathy being the mother Jill never had (well that could be true, but meant more of Cathy influencing Jill to wear pants kind of thing)& Jill in some form using her midwifery skills. But it's been two years & things couldn't be more different....

I know right? I was hoping for all of these things for Muffy. When she went on her trip to Nepal, I could see an unscripted joy in her helping out the women's clinic. She had a sense of service and purpose, and I wanted to see her grow.  

Being a full time missionary is different from a mission trip..visit an orphanage, read a Bible story, hand out Dum-Dums and cheap plastic crap from China...

Collecting school supplies or buying shoes for children seems worthwhile, as long as they actually GET them...

The part that made me snarf my coffee thru my nose was this: about local pastors being ill equipped, when Triple D can't construct a coherent thought. 

I can see them being missionaries in training, but I'd believe it if we saw them doing more of the things we expect missionaries to do. I have no problem with missionaries or churches of other denominations being in a country if they give back to it.  No doubt there are those who seek an alternative to Catholicism and evangelical or other Protestant denominations can fill that need, which is different from trying to convert the masses...they are coming to you.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I can see them being missionaries in training, but I'd believe it if we saw them doing more of the things we expect missionaries to do. I have no problem with missionaries or churches of other denominations being in a country if they give back to it.  No doubt there are those who seek an alternative to Catholicism and evangelical or other Protestant denominations can fill that need, which is different from trying to convert the masses...they are coming to you.

They are doing exactly what S.O.S missionaries do, though, I think. So they may not look like missionaries to us. But I have a feeling that's mainly because the whole enterprise they're part of doesn't look like missionaries to most of us either. ..... Once again, the environment they're living in reinforces all their own dumb ideas. This group of people really is in an echo chamber, I think. And that really makes it unlikely that any of them will ever really change their ideas. Everybody they see has the same idiot ideas that they do. Depressing.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

S.O.S. hosts annual pastors conferences to train up the indigenous leaders at local churches so that they are able to properly teach the word of God and care for their people.

Because a weekend once a year listening to someone like Derick speak is really going to make a change in how someone preaches and cares for a congregation.  On the other hand it might convince them to quit preaching.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

They are doing exactly what S.O.S missionaries do, though, I think. So they may not look like missionaries to us. But I have a feeling that's mainly because the whole enterprise they're part of doesn't look like missionaries to most of us either. ..... Once again, the environment they're living in reinforces all their own dumb ideas. This group of people really is in an echo chamber, I think. And that really makes it unlikely that any of them will ever really change their ideas. Everybody they see has the same idiot ideas that they do. Depressing.

It would make sense that groups like SOS rely very heavily on volunteerism and a steady stream of mission trippers where the vols would assist to meet the latest and greatest needs. I get that..but I don't think other ministries and church groups make grifting a way of life since they probably can account clearly for what their money was spent on. We still have no idea what the Dullards do...I'm digging for something that I can cut them some slack on...

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It would make sense that groups like SOS rely very heavily on volunteerism and a steady stream of mission trippers where the vols would assist to meet the latest and greatest needs. I get that..but I don't think other ministries and church groups make grifting a way of life since they probably can account clearly for what their money was spent on. We still have no idea what the Dullards do...I'm digging for something that I can cut them some slack on...

I get the impression that what the Dillards do is representative of what SOS does. From what I gather they have built a couple of structures which are used for their missionary wants and needs, i.e. preaching. Then they invite folks over to watch them preach and maybe give out some candy. I always thought missionaries went places with the intent of helping folks, and if they "saved a soul or two" then great. Apparently I was naive.

• Love 10
(edited)

Oh, did you know wifi was spotty "on the mission field?" Derick just wanted to remind everyone where he was in the caption. As if we don't know, you git. You brag about your "activities" almost daily. He posted on Friday (IG doesn't log exact time),  but I'm sure there was facetime between then and now, so stop it. eta: I checked Jilly's IG, and voila! she posted that pic of her Big White Baby just yesterday...AFTER this proposal was posted. Stop lying about how rough you have it, Dullards. We're not buying it, but I guess there are leghumpers out there who will believe anything they're spoonfed. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Derrick with the latest group of missioncationers. Only one more group after this, then they can head home.

If it's possible, Jerick's teeth look worse.  He's actually missing a tooth on his right side (our left looking at the picture).

7 hours ago, Absolom said:

Because a weekend once a year listening to someone like Derick speak is really going to make a change in how someone preaches and cares for a congregation.  On the other hand it might convince them to quit preaching.

And, worse, to me, they declare that these local people in a country that's been Catholic for hundreds of years are incapable either of caring for the folks in their own communities or of speaking intelligently about the New Testament -- unless they get the help of the arrogant, idiot mostly 20-something crew of S.O.S.

That's condescending to an evil and disgusting degree, in my opinion. And I'm sure the possibility that that's so never crosses any of their arrogant little piss-ant minds.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It would make sense that groups like SOS rely very heavily on volunteerism and a steady stream of mission trippers where the vols would assist to meet the latest and greatest needs. I get that..

What do they rely on them for?

S.O.S. doesn't seem to do anything but order the local people around in the name of imparting their fabulous S.O.S. wisdom, at "conferences," in the sermons they apparently keep giving, and in those ridiculous classrooms we've seen in which the kids, in every single photo, are clearly bored out of their gourds with whichever stiff awkward-looking white person is standing in front of them jawing something that's almost certainly boring, impenetrable and irrelevant to the nth degree.

And as far as I've seen none of the visitors does anything but interpretive dance and fingernail painting, with a side of fast-food eating and beachgoing. The idiot daytrippers don't seem to go there to do work of any kind. And they certainly don't go there to learn anything. Looks to me as if the sum total of their "volunteer support" is bringing down cheap crap like dum dums to hand out, treating the locals like zoo animals, and writing xenophobic condescending diary entries about them. ...Oh ... and "preaching" the wisdom they've picked up in the U.S. suburbs through "dance" or some such.

I don't see any evidence that this is anything other than a preaching-only "mission." The give some lip service to doing more tangible things, but I truly think that it's only to get people who want missions to offer tangible help to shut up.

• Love 9

I'm guessing that SOS makes money off the volunteers. Who knows what they charge for these mission packages. They're more like a travel agency than missionaries if you ask me. And Jill & Derick are the local concierge/tour guides. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Derrick with the latest group of missioncationers. Only one more group after this, then they can head home.

OMG Derrick looks scary as hell here.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing that SOS makes money off the volunteers. Who knows what they charge for these mission packages. They're more like a travel agency than missionaries if you ask me. And Jill & Derick are the local concierge/tour guides. 

Exactly. I'm just questioning the notion that they might rely on the missioncationers as volunteers who "would assist to meet the latest and greatest needs" of the locals.  I'm 100 percent certain that they don't rely on them for that. They rely on 'em for cash.

And since the S.O.S. mission is all talk, and talk is cheap, I'd bet big that most of the cash goes into the pockets of the head missioneer and his henchmen. They get cash for making a bunch of U.S. fundies feel good and acquire beach tans. ... And all the "missionaries" and "missioncationers" have to do to produce these fine benefits is utterly disrespect the inhabitants of other countries. Talk about them like they're ignorant children incapable of managing their own affairs and gawk at them like they're animals in a zoo. They oughta be run out of those countries on a rail.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think SOS charges a couple grand, airfare not included.

(edited)
24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

You guys be the judge. Is this $650 withOUT airfare? That's how it reads to me (see the FAQs). If so, SOS is raking it in from the parents of these (mostly) teenaged kids. Wanna bet the Duggars don't have to pay anymore? Hell, Boob probably gets a cut for promoting this crap on the show over the years. 

http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Definitely without airfare. The $650 covers the first week in Danger America and subsequent weeks are $300. The second week and beyond cost less because you have to find your own snakes and tarantulas for lunch. Optional programs at additional fees include expressive religious dancing with Derrick, cooking lessons and midwifery lectures from Jill, diaper changing with the Giant American Baby, prayer sessions with the visiting Duggar clan, and chasing a purple Josh Duggar around with a cell phone camera to throw a virtual ball at him. Please note that no medical care is provided in this trip. It's not called Danger America for nothing!

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Definitely without airfare. The $650 covers the first week in Danger America and subsequent weeks are $300. The second week and beyond cost less because you have to find your own snakes and tarantulas for lunch. Optional programs at additional fees include expressive religious dancing with Derrick, cooking lessons and midwifery lectures from Jill, diaper changing with the Giant American Baby, prayer sessions with the visiting Duggar clan, and chasing a purple Josh Duggar around with a cell phone camera to throw a virtual ball at him. Please note that no medical care is provided in this trip. It's not called Danger America for nothing!

Diaper changing with the Giant American Baby! L O Freaking L!

Let's not forget all the sage marital advice coming from a sheltered stage 5 clinger with the maturity of a 12 year old.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Vaysh said:

That Dullard announcement is ridiculous and just proves that we've been right all along; they've been doing absolutely nothing of value while on their "mission". The whole thing is so vaguely phrased that it can mean anything and nothing; if they had done some missionary or humanitarian work they would have been able to describe what that was and in what capacity they did it. Instead we are told that they've seen it happen, which I suppose is their clever way of trying to convince their donors that they are real missionaries while not outright lying about it. Sneaky.

I believe you meant to say "sly."  Very, very sly.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Wow .... so this is the real deal with Jill and Derick's "mission."  I always thought it was kind of lame - what they were doing, supposedly.  I never understood how they were really helping anybody.  But now I see that was never the point of their stay in Central America at all. They are nothing but hostel hosts in some random village, shepherding paying guests around on a tour that SOS markets as a Christian "mission" to people who want to playact at saving souls. 

Turns out the only mission these SOS people are on is a mission to make money.  

My question now is did Jill and Derick realize how inauthentic this whole enterprise was before they joined up? Because I can see them being naive enough to not grasp the fact that SOS missions are nothing but thinly-veiled tourism and not true missionary work at all.  I can see them -Jill especially - just blindly accepting that anything with the word "ministry" in its title must necessarily be an honorable organization.  But Derick is not a complete moron, at least I like to think so.  I wonder if he knew the score and maybe just didn't give a damn because he desperately wanted out of Arkansas.  Maybe that is why he has seemed to do better in CA than Jill has. He understood what he was getting into and had appropriate expectations. Jill, on the other hand, really thought she was going to be a missionary and help deliver babies and such.  But she quickly learned she was going to be spending most of her time watching Izzy and sweating her ass off while she kept a lookout for tarantula crawling around her house instead.

I'd be bummed out, too, if I were her. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think I saw something about SOS doing the travel set up.  Entirely.  I know organization that try to get group travel rates but have the volunteers pay the airline direct etc.  Definitely seems like a grift to me.  I bet whoever heads SOS has a nice little comfortable living.  Funny, my sister goes to Guatemala twice a year to do eye and oral clinics.  Their organization requires them to fund a full week of food and simply provide their own airfare.  The full week of food is figured out and covers each volunteer as well as two families (sadly it does not take much).  They do work.  Hard work.  Clinics run 16 hours a day if not longer.  The group also provides and installs stoves in villages that depended solely on woodburning fires and they have been doing some electrical work as well to extend power to community centers.  This is a group that I would qualify as very religious if not quite fundamental.  And there is no dancing, praying singing or simply talking to the people.  They interact to better their lives.  I'd really like to see what these bumpkins actually accomplish that will still be on the ground when they pick up and head back to cameras and Starbucks.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Wow .... so this is the real deal with Jill and Derick's "mission."  I always thought it was kind of lame - what they were doing, supposedly.  I never understood how they were really helping anybody.  But now I see that was never the point of their stay in Central America at all. They are nothing but hostel hosts in some random village, shepherding paying guests around on a tour that SOS markets as a Christian "mission" to people who want to playact at saving souls. 

Turns out the only mission these SOS people are on is a mission to make money.  

My question now is did Jill and Derick realize how inauthentic this whole enterprise was before they joined up? Because I can see them being naive enough to not grasp the fact that SOS missions are nothing but thinly-veiled tourism and not true missionary work at all.  I can see them -Jill especially - just blindly accepting that anything with the word "ministry" in its title must necessarily be an honorable organization.  But Derick is not a complete moron, at least I like to think so.  I wonder if he knew the score and maybe just didn't give a damn because he desperately wanted out of Arkansas.  Maybe that is why he has seemed to do better in CA than Jill has. He understood what he was getting into and had appropriate expectations. Jill, on the other hand, really thought she was going to be a missionary and help deliver babies and such.  But she quickly learned she was going to be spending most of her time watching Izzy and sweating her ass off while she kept a lookout for tarantula crawling around her house instead.

I'd be bummed out, too, if I were her. 

I doubt they're bummed. They get to vacation full-time under the guise of "mission work."  Derick never wanted to be thr 40-hour work week type and Jill is sheltered enough to actually believe she's helping the people in Danger America.  Further, she is patient enough to believe that if she waits long enough and prays for it, she'll get what she wants. After all, God sent her Derick.  

SOS is a joke. They make money off of ignorant Fundies who want their provide their teens and young adults a week of vacation-work in Danger America without the risk of them fucking any locals or fellow vacationers. The only construction work being done by SOS is to make the lives of SOS personnel more comfortable.  I'm sure the same 10 locals are being read the same passages week after week -- having the same come-to-Jesus moment for each batch of missioncationers. 

• Love 9