Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Jill just posted a behind the scenes of recording the book on Instagram.. She said she was excited to do it and to give a voice to her feelings. She said that we could probably hear it in her voice because she cried every single day she was recording it.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 17
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I think it's the context. I'm glad that Jinger finds her current theology liberating, but switching one cult that tells women to sit down, shut up and keep breeding for another that still says to sit down and shut up (breeding at your discretion) just isn't that interesting to me as a non-conservative Christian(ish person). Jill's, on the other hand, answers some of the questions I've had forever about how the money was structured and why so many of these kids are staying in their parents' orbits. 

Breeding at her husband’s discretion.🥲

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
10 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He badmouthed JL in his IBLP stump speeches. I think he likes to think he succeeded in spite of his wayward father. 

So really, Jill is just following in her father’s footsteps. If it was ok for him, why not for Jill?

• Like 14
  • LOL 5
8 minutes ago, AstridM said:

So really, Jill is just following in her father’s footsteps. If it was ok for him, why not for Jill?

JB probably thought that as his father was so sinful he was unworthy of respect while he is such a godly man he's entitled to complete obedience from his family.

• Like 14
  • LOL 4
48 minutes ago, AstridM said:

And like I mentioned earlier, why not for Izzy, Sam and Fred? Evolving is good, having a family chain of publicly dissing parents, probably not so good.

• Like 3

People were saying she was a parent of one of the Holts, but it seems she is coming forward and saying that is not true and is wanting to speak.  I'm not on Reddit, Instagram or Free Jinger.  Is anyone hearing anything?  Allegedly, she wants to add details to what Jill had to say in her book.

Edited by kaleidoscope
46 minutes ago, kaleidoscope said:

People were saying she was a parent of one of the Holts, but it seems she is coming forward and saying that is not true and is wanting to speak.  I'm not on Reddit, Instagram or Free Jinger.  Is anyone hearing anything?  Allegedly, she wants to add details to what Jill had to say in her book.

I always thought "Alice" was a younger person, maybe a friend of one of the Holt kids. According to Reddit, though, "Alice" was Bobye Holt's mother and is now deceased. 

WTF wouldn't an adult, especially an older one, speak out (to CPS!) instead of writing a letter that she didn't send but instead stuffed in a book?! That's why I think she must have been a teenager. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
On 9/17/2023 at 6:12 AM, ChiCricket said:

I "borrowed " this from a different forum.

I thought it was interesting that TLC paid for all the food from their filmed grocery trips.

Jill said they were able to get much different stuff than what they normally had to eat all the time.

received_850114193497080.jpeg

So Michelle couldn’t even be bothered to cook up a big crockpot or pressure cooker full of beans.  Instead she bought those little cans for that humongous family.  Even with just five kids, my mom never did that.  We also made our own burritos, never buying them frozen.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, louannems said:

So Michelle couldn’t even be bothered to cook up a big crockpot or pressure cooker full of beans.  Instead she bought those little cans for that humongous family.  Even with just five kids, my mom never did that.  We also made our own burritos, never buying them frozen.

I suspect Michelle has never liked to cook and may not even really know how, which would explain why her daughters are all so inept at that. 

What I found interesting too was the reveal the tater tot casserole was from a recipe book from another fundie family. It would certainly explain why they're so obsessed with it when it's not at all something I associate with people in Arkansas cooking. Just anecdotally I never encounter that where I am in NWA, but I often hear people talking about it being more of a Midwest dish. My guess is they cribbed it from a Midwestern family, and it became a Duggar family staple because it is cheap, relatively easy to make, and capable of feeding a large group. 

• Like 18

My mom grew up in OK. I swear she never met a casserole she wouldn't make, yet tater tot casserole was never one of them. 

Are casseroles in general a common thing in that area. Up until this moment I have always thought that, but maybe it was just my mom and/or her family.

Potatoes are pretty filling so tater tot casserole makes sense, but I was always surprised we didn't see the Duggars eating more rice. Rice is cheap, easy, versatile and filling. Many of my clients survive on that the last week of the month.

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My mom grew up in OK. I swear she never met a casserole she wouldn't make, yet tater tot casserole was never one of them. 

Are casseroles in general a common thing in that area. Up until this moment I have always thought that, but maybe it was just my mom and/or her family.

Potatoes are pretty filling so tater tot casserole makes sense, but I was always surprised we didn't see the Duggars eating more rice. Rice is cheap, easy, versatile and filling. Many of my clients survive on that the last week of the month.

Yes people make casseroles but just not that one from what I've observed. I think there is some regional variance in Southern casseroles, in general. My grandmother is from Southern Appalachia, and she makes stuff that I don't see people in the Ozarks making. Including a squash casserole as a side dish. (And it's amazing and I can and have lived on it. LOL) Not saying people around here don't make them. But I just have never seen them out and about on people's tables, and when I mention she makes it, there's not this reaction of "Oh yes my family makes that too!" 

Not casserole related but chocolate gravy is another thing that I don't see people doing here, but it's definitely a Southern Appalachian thing. I was on another discussion board where someone mentioned it, and pretty much everyone whose family made it was from Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee/Northern Georgia/Eastern Kentucky. 

It just strikes me as funny because there was a lot of migration from Southern Appalachia to the Ozarks in the 1800s, and there is definitely some overlap in other things. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes people make casseroles but just not that one from what I've observed. I think there is some regional variance in Southern casseroles, in general. My grandmother is from Southern Appalachia, and she makes stuff that I don't see people in the Ozarks making. Including a squash casserole as a side dish. (And it's amazing and I can and have lived on it. LOL) Not saying people around here don't make them. But I just have never seen them out and about on people's tables, and when I mention she makes it, there's not this reaction of "Oh yes my family makes that too!" 

Not casserole related but chocolate gravy is another thing that I don't see people doing here, but it's definitely a Southern Appalachian thing. I was on another discussion board where someone mentioned it, and pretty much everyone whose family made it was from Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee/Northern Georgia/Eastern Kentucky. 

It just strikes me as funny because there was a lot of migration from Southern Appalachia to the Ozarks in the 1800s, and there is definitely some overlap in other things. 

My mom made tons of different gravies, but never chocolate gravy. 

I think you're right, Michelle didn't have a heart for kids or cooking.

• Like 9
Just now, GeeGolly said:

I think you're right, Michelle didn't have a heart for kids or cooking.

LOLOL When I posted my initial comment, I totally thought the same thing. "She doesn't have a heart for cooking!" 

Just now, GeeGolly said:

My mom made tons of different gravies, but never chocolate gravy. 

Yeah it goes with biscuits. My grandma never made it a lot for us, but her mom made it a lot for her grandchildren and it was a big favorite. To the point, one of my cousins was still pestering her about it after she stopped cooking, and she was finally like "I'm old, Sharon. Make your own damn chocolate gravy." 

• LOL 14
35 minutes ago, Zella said:

LOLOL When I posted my initial comment, I totally thought the same thing. "She doesn't have a heart for cooking!" 

Yeah it goes with biscuits. My grandma never made it a lot for us, but her mom made it a lot for her grandchildren and it was a big favorite. To the point, one of my cousins was still pestering her about it after she stopped cooking, and she was finally like "I'm old, Sharon. Make your own damn chocolate gravy." 

If it’s anything like Mexican mole sauce, I’m in!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

I’m from south Louisiana and never heard of chocolate gravy until we retired to northern Arkansas a few years ago. It sounded nasty to me until I  actually tried it. It tastes like warm chocolate pudding. Yummy

i don’t follow Jill closely but it seems she cooks differently from her mom and is a bit more adventurous when eating out.

• Like 6

I think Jill's cooking skills have evolved. For the first 5 years or so she posted recipes of 50 shades of beige and almost everyone contained a can of creamed something. I believe one time she went rogue with a green dish - canned beans with salt and vinegar. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Jill's cooking skills have evolved. For the first 5 years or so she posted recipes of 50 shades of beige and almost everyone contained a can of creamed something. I believe one time she went rogue with a green dish - canned beans with salt and vinegar. 

That’s a dish?

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

There were 2 different weird green bean "recipes". The canned green beans with salt and vinegar was Jill's weird thing when she was pregnant with one of the boys if I remember correctly.

But there is another one that was a Duggar favorite

https://www.dillardfamily.com/2018/09/spectacular-sauteed-green-beans-recipe/

Here's Jill when she lived at home and when she was studying for her midwifery test. And Anna feeding them to her kids.

image.png.500383540e17cd05aa9358576d136b3f.pngimage.png.9ed1eb67cf45eff60aa6155f1ac7e560.png

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
On 9/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, MaryAnneSpier said:

In the book, JB tells Jill that when he and Michelle pass, each kid will get 1/19th of all their wealth as an inheritance instead of a payment for their work on the show. But now that there's no show, lots of legal bills for Josh, ever-increasing children to provide for, etc. would there even be anything left?

She indicated in the book that he'd made lots of real estate investments with the proceeds, so I think there is not a good way to know. They don't have the income from the show anymore but depending on the real estate, they could have substantial passive income flowing in.

6 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Aren’t they tired of eating side by side? And I’m sick of French fries 🤣.

That's a helluva lot of French fries.  I dislike huge servings of fries as they cool off, and I don't care to eat cold fries.  I've never found a satisfactory method of reheating them either.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, dariafan said:

I’m a petty person and when jb sent that itemized whatever you want to call it , I would have sent a bill for all the childcare and adult care she provided over the years 

Same!

43 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

That's a helluva lot of French fries.  I dislike huge servings of fries as they cool off, and I don't care to eat cold fries.  I've never found a satisfactory method of reheating them either.

Reheating them in an air fryer works.

• Like 14
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Yes the air fryer! 

• Like 4
  • Useful 4