Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Not according to the church's website FAQs about the program.  

It's highly ENCOURAGED though, ie. I didn't come up with the 10 donors who give $100/mo. to cover the tuition by myself. ?

Edited by Sew Sumi

Oh, if I could only be a fly on the wall. Jillymuffin must be flipping out.  All those nubile young women in shorts and tank tops with shoulders, collarbones and knees exposed. I wonder how many are married? Very few I suspect.

And, why are they at Uark? (apologies, if its abbreviated incorrectly). The university must have a chaplain, and some student run bible study clubs. Those college kids are having the time of their lives, and here come a bunch of fundies to spread the word about the ebil world, how they're doing everything wrong and that they're going to hell. I have two grandchildren in college and I can tell you that's not what they want to hear. ( where's the keg?)  Only kidding, I hope.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

That's a hell of a lot of defrauding women surrounding him. The blond next to him is particularly cute. Pics like these are going to send Jill into a full on melt down. 

The nerve of all those people considering themselves Christian and wearing Bermuda shorts at the same time. They're probably setting the End Times back by centuries. Somebody should point this out to Derick on social media. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, bythelake said:

Oh, if I could only be a fly on the wall. Jillymuffin must be flipping out.  All those nubile young women in shorts and tank tops with shoulders, collarbones and knees exposed. I wonder how many are married? Very few I suspect.

And, why are they at Uark? (apologies, if its abbreviated incorrectly). The university must have a chaplain, and some student run bible study clubs. Those college kids are having the time of their lives, and here come a bunch of fundies to spread the word about the ebil world, how they're doing everything wrong and that they're going to hell. I have two grandchildren in college and I can tell you that's not what they want to hear. ( where's the keg?)  Only kidding, I hope.

I think that trying to convert college kids is a pretty time-honored conservative Christian tradition, isn't it?  You've got kids in a transitional state, many of them feeling a little insecure, perhaps doing things that make them feel guilty, etc. It's the perfect recruiting ground and pretty much always has been, I think.

And now, with the baptism rates even among Southern Baptists beginning to fall, I expect they're ramping up their efforts at many campuses. 

• Love 8

Serious question. Realizing this is their "home church" are these folks proper believing Christians to Derick and Jill? Derick's 1 of 2 kids, from a pants wearing, working mom. Jill obviously believes differently. Where do the draw the line? Do Derick and Jill consider themselves more Christian? 

• Love 2
On 8/29/2017 at 1:16 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

is this it?

So how did he justify doing this, considering the killjoy lost his shit when one of the howlers danced to some music at a store? Of course, Jana had to take care of it. 

That is absolutely horrific. Even more depressing is that people seem delighted and are laughing like crazy at it! Who is that woman? "shaking her body parts around?" 

On 8/30/2017 at 10:20 AM, Churchhoney said:

Has anybody else seen the Househunters International about Jilly Muffin and Der? .... I saw this the other day and I thought I might have dreamed it, it was so similar (although a different continent).But I'm guessing it means that their marriage pattern is more common than we might think in fundie land.

It was about a newly married couple who were looking for a house in Madagascar. The guy was nerdy, skinny, average looking and had spent his whole life in missions. He'd grown up in Kenya with missionary parents and as an adult worked elsewhere in East Africa himself. lately teaching in Madagascar. He was on a (probably fundraising) trip in the U.S. when the young woman -- a fairly attractive person of otherwise indeterminate nature who'd lived in Tulsa all her life -- heard him speak and fell for him immediately in apparent ton-of-bricks fashion. She said she'd had a heart for Africa for her whole life, and was just completely carried away by him and his talk. Just knew she had to marry him because of her lifelong heart for Africa. 

I don't know how long it took them to become engaged, but it must not have been too long since I didn't get the impression that the story as a whole was very long. And then, throughout their engagement, he'd been back in Africa, and they'd been apart the whole time except for, I think, one visit that she'd made there. Now they were married and moving and looking for a place to live. Apparently they'd had some kind of car accident just after the wedding in the states, and she was getting physical therapy and also has a ton of allergies, so -- maybe a little fragile to be immediately uprooting to a different continent when you've never left town before?

They had, according to him, a $600 budget for monthly rent. They showed them three places and while I know that these things are complete setups and the people already know which house they're taking, the sentiments expressed didn't sound false to me. He wanted a big garden and a place whose architecture and layout felt African. She wanted -- the exact opposite of that in every regard.

They showed them one on-budget house that was a little bit African but mostly pretty modern in that this-house-could-be-anywhere-in-the-world-today look. It had a very small yard where he could have a very small garden. She said that was okay but she really hated gardening altogether. Also, as people tend to do on Househunters, she expressed big unhappiness because it didn't have the famous updated kitchen. (had a perfectly nice and serviceable kitchen with a pretty African-tile exhaust-hood-chimney, but there was a gas stove and little built-in storage -- How could they possibly cook in there???). (Did you ever hear of building shelves out of, I don't know, boards and bricks? Seriously. 

They also showed them an on-budget more Madagascar-style house out on the edge of town that had space for a huge garden. And she said that it wouldn't work for her because she's allergic to dirt -- by which she apparently means the stuff on the ground that plants grow in.....Seriously, can you be allergic to dirt??? How would you survive infancy if you were allergic to dirt? And Oklahoma's in the dust bowl, last time I looked. (There were also chickens... they left the door open and a couple walked into the kitchen -- real-estate agent said, You have to shut the door..... She said this was not what she'd anticipated when thinking about living in the country....in Madagascar....for all of the, like, 20 years when she'd been pining away with her heart for Africa....Huh?) 

They also showed them a penthouse apartment, which literally could have been anywhere. It was brand new so, of course, it had the famous updated kitchen. She said how wonderful it would be to live in this place because no one had lived in it before. It had, of course, no garden whatsoever, possibly not even room for a container garden. And it was $850 a month. She absolutely loved it, of course, and she kept repeatedly saying that it was only the tiniest smidgen over their budget (nearly 50 percent over, but who's counting?). 

Of course they couldn't afford that place, so they did take the first house with the -- horrors! -- non-updated kitchen and the small yard. She said that they probably could learn to cook using the -- horrors! -- gas oven. 

I was actually shocked by how similar this was to the Jilly-Der story. This woman had absolutely zero idea of what being a missionary would be like or what Africa would be like, yet she'd been dead certain for decades that that was the life she aspired to, and she declared that that was what her attraction to her husband consisted of. And then he had obviously leaped at the marriage as well -- and he knew what the life she supposedly coveted was like. So how could he possibly have thought that she'd be suited for it? .... And, of course, there was also the "we were apart throughout our entire engagement" when they clearly had known each other only pretty briefly before the engagement. 

I wonder how many missionaries end up getting divorced because the wife grew up as a starry-eyed fundie girl imagining that she had a heart for missions when she had absolutely no idea what a mission would actually be like? And because the culture seems to have enshrined the "marrying in haste is the thing to do!" mindset...

Yes!  I'm a big HHI fan and saw this one- immediately thought of the Dulls, too!  

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Serious question. Realizing this is their "home church" are these folks proper believing Christians to Derick and Jill? Derick's 1 of 2 kids, from a pants wearing, working mom. Jill obviously believes differently. Where do the draw the line? Do Derick and Jill consider themselves more Christian? 

I kind of think that one of Derick's (many) problems is that he's now a split-Christian-personality who actually has no idea what he thinks about any of these things. And I suspect that the resulting mental chaos may stress him out, whether or not he realizes or admits that (my guess would be that he doesn't realize or admit it) 

For almost all of his life, he was part of church organizations like this one -- a church where women wore pants and had jobs, where families didn't have a million children, where there wasn't a big wall between us-perfect-way-orthodox-culty-Christians-and-all-those-faux-Christians. He went to a state university, he clearly hung out with people who wore shorts. Etc. Etc. Etc. ..... So that has to seem natural to him in some way. 

But then he's also very much a follower-type personality. And he doesn't seem to have responded very resiliently at all to his dad's early death. So he hooked up with the Duggars and, I would guess, glommed onto JimBob-ism (at least some aspects of it) like mad, both because of his follower nature and because he felt a gap in him with the loss of his dad and because Duggarness is a way of life that demands a big crazy-ass commitment and there are times when this appeals to people.  So -- while this is only a small part of his life -- it's a part that's given him something that demands big commitment, and I think he's probably been ripe to make that commitment. 

Anyway, long story short, in his case, with these two sets of influences very strong (one a decades-long influence that went all the back to his infancy, probably, and the other a very recent one that he's nevertheless glommed onto hard for various reasons), I expect he doesn't have a clue what to think. Sways madly back and forth between thinking that shorts wearers are the devil and that shorts wearers are perfectly okay. And so on. .... .Just one more thing to make Derick into a crazy mess, I'm guessing. 

Jill, meanwhile, continues being utterly steeped in Duggarness, I expect. She hasn't had any strong influences going another way, and she's one of the kids who's very very heavily invested in the family mythology, I think. And that absolutely would make her see herself and her family as decidedly more Christian, seems to me.  (I do think she may have tiny spits of doubt about it -- she has, after all, seen some things outside of Duggarland, and that probably has a bit of an effect, but not enough to really make her question anything at this point, I expect.)

So the two of them are on different pages, most likely, but also probably won't or can't openly admit it. So -- more mess, ultimately, since this stuff is very very important to them. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I kind of think that one of Derick's (many) problems is that he's now a split-Christian-personality who actually has no idea what he thinks about any of these things. And I suspect that the resulting mental chaos may stress him out, whether or not he realizes or admits that (my guess would be that he doesn't realize or admit it) 

For almost all of his life, he was part of church organizations like this one -- a church where women wore pants and had jobs, where families didn't have a million children, where there wasn't a big wall between us-perfect-way-orthodox-culty-Christians-and-all-those-faux-Christians. He went to a state university, he clearly hung out with people who wore shorts. Etc. Etc. Etc. ..... So that has to seem natural to him in some way. 

But then he's also very much a follower-type personality. And he doesn't seem to have responded very resiliently at all to his dad's early death. So he hooked up with the Duggars and, I would guess, glommed onto JimBob-ism (at least some aspects of it) like mad, both because of his follower nature and because he felt a gap in him with the loss of his dad and because Duggarness is a way of life that demands a big crazy-ass commitment and there are times when this appeals to people.  So -- while this is only a small part of his life -- it's a part that's given him something that demands big commitment, and I think he's probably been ripe to make that commitment. 

Anyway, long story short, in his case, with these two sets of influences very strong (one a decades-long influence that went all the back to his infancy, probably, and the other a very recent one that he's nevertheless glommed onto hard for various reasons), I expect he doesn't have a clue what to think. Sways madly back and forth between thinking that shorts wearers are the devil and that shorts wearers are perfectly okay. And so on. .... .Just one more thing to make Derick into a crazy mess, I'm guessing. 

Jill, meanwhile, continues being utterly steeped in Duggarness, I expect. She hasn't had any strong influences going another way, and she's one of the kids who's very very heavily invested in the family mythology, I think. And that absolutely would make her see herself and her family as decidedly more Christian, seems to me.  (I do think she may have tiny spits of doubt about it -- she has, after all, seen some things outside of Duggarland, and that probably has a bit of an effect, but not enough to really make her question anything at this point, I expect.)

So the two of them are on different pages, most likely, but also probably won't or can't openly admit it. So -- more mess, ultimately, since this stuff is very very important to them. 

@Churchhoney, And, Josh's scandal was exposed around the time of Izzy's birth.  We saw how Jill reacted in the Megan Kelly interview; she could hardly hold it together. Can you imagine what their household was like at that time? I think they went back and forth to CA to  escape  all the turmoil back home.  Not long after, Derick's bible quotes started to become more doom and gloom, and they've just gotten worse. They both need to go into therapy, but we know that will never happen.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Hey guys, we're famous! Check out this new snark page filled with our posts. I recognize mine in the upper left. I think I am the only one who has used "Duggar Diaspora" in a sentence. ?

Screenshot_2017-09-03-12-16-20.png

Ugh. This old lady just got used to Twitter (kinda sorta) but Instagram baffles me.

How do you get their posts to readable size? TYIA

PS another thing I learned from these forums. Had to Google diaspora ...

Edited by ChiCricket
Wanted to
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Lunera said:

This isn't the pool house. Maybe Boob downgraded them to a crappy rental 

Jill said they were looking for a house to buy in the last episode of Counting On.  This must be it.  Money to buy a house and giant steaks - keep those donations rolling in for the poor Dillards so Derick can go to missionary school and Jill can stay home with the kids.  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

This isn't the pool house. Maybe Boob downgraded them to a crappy rental 

Derrick, you can make better steaks on a grill than those crappy pans. They look like the ones advertised late at night on "buy it now" tv.  If you don't have a grill, a good grill pan will work.  You should ask your leghumper fans to donate a grill pan to you.  Get those idiots to buy you a nice Le Creuset grill pan.  Oh & getting off your lazy ass & cooking for your wife isn't a "at home date".  Watching your own children isn't "babysitting" either.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 16

Jilly Muffin's damage control isn't working, either. There's plenty of snark in the comments.

47 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Ugh. This old lady just got used to Twitter (kinda sorta) but Instagram baffles me.

How do you get their posts to readable size? TYIA

PS another thing I learned from these forums. Had to Google diaspora ...

You can enlarge them if you're on your phone. I have no idea how readable they are on a laptop.

• Love 3

Win 10 on a laptop, you can enlarge by putting two fingers on the touch pad and then moving them apart.  I have a touch screen laptop now, but the touchpad works the same.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

He's still trying to get free $$$ via the leghumpers. Comments are 100% negative. 

Derick thanks this woman "for supporting our ministry."  He still claims that he and Jill have a ministry when he is just a student in a course at his church and Jill is taking care of the kids.  Just what is this "ministry" he claims they have right now?  He can never tell the truth about anything he is doing when it comes to donations and/or ministry.  And, he's still looking for a way to collect donations online to support his family.  Just what is Jill's part in this present ministry?  She went to a Christian rock concert her church sponsored at a local college and helped with refreshments at an event.  Does she really expect people to send her donations for that?

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think it may be $12 each package.  That's how it's labeled here, but a different store in a different state.  I tried to read the label, but it was too blurry.  

0 0 1 a a.png

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think that trying to convert college kids is a pretty time-honored conservative Christian tradition, isn't it?  You've got kids in a transitional state, many of them feeling a little insecure, perhaps doing things that make them feel guilty, etc. It's the perfect recruiting ground and pretty much always has been, I think.

And now, with the baptism rates even among Southern Baptists beginning to fall, I expect they're ramping up their efforts at many campuses. 

I'd also imagine that there are a lot of kids raised in the Southern Baptist tradition attending Arkansas who will end up going to Cross Church for its college ministry.  Some will go out of actual faith, some because their parents insist and some will go because they're homesick and going to church reminds them of home.  When I was in undergrad, I had a room mate in the dorm who had been raised in a conservative Christian home and she ended up hooking up with a fundamentalist Christian church that recruited on campus that was actually way more fundie than her parents' church.  Those of us who knew her felt like the transition from living in a conservative small town with mom and dad attending church every Sunday to a big city, state university campus with all kinds of new people, many of them not from small towns, many not conservative Christians was pretty scary for her and she latched onto the campus church because it was familiar and reassuring.  I recall at one point, her mother, worried about how deeply fundie she was becoming, actually came down to visit to try to persuade her to attend a more mainstream denomination.  Nothing doing.  After a year and multiple insults to the Catholic faith from her and her fundie friends, the 3 of us who lived with her, all Catholics, asked her to find another place to live. 

• Love 10

I think it is $12/package, but if you at the other side of the stove it looks like another package of meat is over there.  So two packs of meat.  They are just too dumb for words.  Don't beg for money and then post pictures of cooking steak with the price tag visible.  Many of the people who have donated to them in the past are probably living at or near the poverty level.  A creative cook can make $24 go a long way to feed a family.  He should be cooking rice and beans if he wants to ask for donations.

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

I think it is $12/package, but if you at the other side of the stove it looks like another package of meat is over there.  So two packs of meat.  They are just too dumb for words.  Don't beg for money and then post pictures of cooking steak with the price tag visible.  Many of the people who have donated to them in the past are probably living at or near the poverty level.  A creative cook can make $24 go a long way to feed a family.  He should be cooking rice and beans if he wants to ask for donations.

That was a very dumb move on their part to show those two huge steaks that they are having for dinner if they want donations.  Even if they shared one steak (I doubt they did), it looks glutinous for someone asking for donations.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, dreamingtree said:

I think it is $12/package, but if you at the other side of the stove it looks like another package of meat is over there.  So two packs of meat.

Why would they need four steaks for two people? If that's a great deal on steak buy it and then freeze it for three other meals, don't leave all four steaks out on the counter.

• Love 3

Yes, dumb move to show steaks while begging.  They forgot the first rule of begging (and car buying) you don't wear your best clothes to go begging.  After much squinting and messing with the bar code label portion, I'm resolved the price does not end a four on the scannable price tag.  It looks like $12.00 to me, but it's still blurry.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

After much squinting and messing with the bar code label portion, I'm resolved the price does not end a four on the scannable price tag.  It looks like $12.00 to me, but it's still blurry.  

This is something I would do, but would be mortified if my grown children caught me doing it.  None of them would understand the joy of snarking and sleuthing on P.TV :)

• Love 6

Well, I'd rather be caught by my kids squinting at a price label than Jeremy's pants.  :)  I'm safe though.  I'm fortunate that a couple of the kids join me in snarking on the Duggars.   I'll get some howls about the two packages of meat on Instagram while begging on Twitter.  

• Love 6

Heh, heh. He's really getting some backlash. He really is an idiot.  

If he doesn't want the hate, then he needs to be clear that the donations are on behalf of whomever, If it's not for him.  Otherwise, he needs to STFU and quit grifting for things he has the funds to pay for.

• Love 2

I can't fully make out the details on the package in the background, but there is enough steak on those counters to feed the three adults in my household at least four meals each.  But those frying pans look big enough to each cook one steak (overflowing), so my assumption has been that they are making two meals, and letting the rest of the meat sit at room temperature before storing it.

How does a person with D's jaw alignment chew what will (almost certainly) be a tough or at least rubbery steak?

• Love 2