Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I decided to take Derrick's advice and consult the bible about the lord's plans for me today. I don't have a bible so I googled a scripture generator, and got this:

Psalms 35:26

Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.

I'm more confused now, than I was before.

Sorry Derrick, I'm going to keep watching Buffy and eating chips today.

Good for Jill getting her certification, but I'm amongst those who hopes she is never in the position to be making decisions regarding someone else's labour and delivery.

The bible verse is classic Derrick - Damn those who don't like me!! Confuse them!  Make them walk in shame for not liking me!  Gee Derrick that's so very Christian of you what a good missionary you will be.  

• Love 6

Or maybe she believes that if she delivers a baby her mere presence will impart Christ into the baby.  UGH

Seriously though they are missing the main point of being a missionary. Sure a missionary wants to share Christ with people. But first and foremost you do that by helping. I know medical missionaries. They don't preach. They don't stand on street corners. They don't tell people they need to believe something else. They bring needed medical care to people without. They show love and compassion and then they let God do the rest. The Bible says 'they will know you are my disciple by your love'. That's how you get people interested. They see the love and compassion of Christ in your work. 

• Love 11

Or maybe she believes that if she delivers a baby her mere presence will impart Christ into the baby.  UGH

Seriously though they are missing the main point of being a missionary. Sure a missionary wants to share Christ with people. But first and foremost you do that by helping. I know medical missionaries. They don't preach. They don't stand on street corners. They don't tell people they need to believe something else. They bring needed medical care to people without. They show love and compassion and then they let God do the rest. The Bible says 'they will know you are my disciple by your love'. That's how you get people interested. They see the love and compassion of Christ in your work. 

True but of course Jerick has to get it backwards and say - first you become our version of Christian and then we'll help you deliver your baby into God's army.  If you don't like it go be confused and walk in shame damn it.

• Love 1

How can Jill support herself as a lay midwife? Doesn't the "lay" imply that she isn't paid? 

No, it just means she doesn't have training from an actual medical institution, such as a nursing school, and can't practice in a medical setting but practices in homes and such instead.

• Love 3

Major points for any religion that does not view God so subhuman as requiring membership in a particular sect in order to garner an 'ethical' classification. I'd expect better things from humans than from the God of Duggar World

Amen! I have always boggled at the version of God who is petty, vengeful, spiteful - you know, all the things we are NOT supposed to be.

I also don't get get how this crew is all about Jesus, but they seem to be enamored of the OT God, who was really cranky. Everyone knows that He softened up quite a bit after He became a Dad. :)

As a midwife, Jill would be in a great position to save souls. "Your baby is healthy and everything looks good. By the way, you don't want him/her to go to Hell, do you?" [\snark]

• Love 11

How can Jill support herself as a lay midwife? Doesn't the "lay" imply that she isn't paid? 

She isn't there to make money.  She's "delivering" the newborn so that these cult families can continue isolate from society, hide abuses, and so that the husbands/headships can remain in control over their small flocks of powerless woman and children.  Derick will approve Jill's patients and the patients' husbands will approve Jill based on their relationship with Derick.  It's all very sick. 

• Love 11

I wonder if he doesn't need to be dipped for his own set of ticks, issue-wise. His mom had a really successful career - leaving aside the fairly obvious potential ethical pitfalls of making bank by putting more third world factories into the WalMart supply chain - and was clearly the Dillard primary family breadwinner. Derick's entire life work history, on the other hand, up to the point where he mysteriously was given a well-paid job at the multinational his mom is connected to, was a few months as a lifeguard, two and a half years as the OSU Mascot (why Derick would need a LinkedIn page eludes me, but there it is), and a few years off for parentally-sponsored salvotourism.

Then he networked himself into a highly-public courtship with the daughter of the biggest swinging dick of corporate-commodified patriarchy, and took (his mother got him) a real-live full time job. Because his wife knows her place and wants nothing more than to stay home where she should be providing care for Derick and all the little Dillards to come (you know, like God wants her to, MOM), and if their TV specials still made her the primary wage earner, well, she'd certainly never do anything as tasteless as admit it because that's what God wants (MOM).

Except of course that all fell down (which has got to be a brutal hit for someone who's been dutifully spending time with Ben and Jessa socially), and then to save her family's payday his wife had to go on TV to talk about how desperately screwed up her golden family is, and how true love waits but not Josh, and they lost their payday anyway.

Which is when Derick, whose urge to cleave to Jim Bob apparently didn't survive his wife being the subject of every third post on Gawker, got back on the road. This time, with funding arranged by Jim Bob's crisis manager, which makes me wonder what species of hardball Derick rolled out for that conversation. And the only thing he has left of his vacation in the 50s is a wife who TOTALLY GAVE UP A CAREER FOR ME AND MY KIDS, MOM.

Just saying, I don't see anything about his behavior so far that's inconsistent with Derick being a spoiled upper-middle-class kid who turned hyper-religiose so he'd have a biblical excuse to resent his mom for making more money than daddy instead of staying home and making Derick four star bag lunches and forcing the other kids to play with him.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 13

I'm not sure Derick getting a job at Walmart because his mom works there is really such an evil, spoiled brat thing. People use connections to find jobs. People hire relatives of their employees all the time. This is especially true for first time jobs. It's not like he was given a vice presidency. 

And as someone said earlier it sure seems like Derick was the driving force behind Jill's completion of her midwifery training. Regardless of whether we think she'll be a good lay midwife, he did encourage training and study, something no Duggar would do for a woman. That seems inconsistent with the idea that he is spoiled and just wants a woman to take care of his kids. 

• Love 6

I wonder if he doesn't need to be dipped for his own set of ticks, issue-wise. His mom had a really successful career - leaving aside the fairly obvious potential ethical pitfalls of making bank by putting more third world factories into the WalMart supply chain - and was clearly the Dillard primary family breadwinner. Derick's entire life work history, on the other hand, up to the point where he mysteriously was given a well-paid job at the multinational his mom is connected to, was a few months as a lifeguard, two and a half years as the OSU Mascot (why Derick would need a LinkedIn page eludes me, but there it is), and a few years off for parentally-sponsored salvotourism.

Then he networked himself into a highly-public courtship with the daughter of the biggest swinging dick of corporate-commodified patriarchy, and took (his mother got him) a real-live full time job. Because his wife knows her place and wants nothing more than to stay home where she should be providing care for Derick and all the little Dillards to come (you know, like God wants her to, MOM), and if their TV specials still made her the primary wage earner, well, she'd certainly never do anything as tasteless as admit it because that's what God wants (MOM).

Except of course that all fell down (which has got to be a brutal hit for someone who's been dutifully spending time with Ben and Jessa socially), and then to save her family's payday his wife had to go on TV to talk about how desperately screwed up her golden family is, and how true love waits but not Josh, and they lost their payday anyway.

Which is when Derick, whose urge to cleave to Jim Bob apparently didn't survive his wife being the subject of every third post on Gawker, got back on the road. This time, with funding arranged by Jim Bob's crisis manager, which makes me wonder what species of hardball Derick rolled out for that conversation. And the only thing he has left of his vacation in the 50s is a wife who TOTALLY GAVE UP A CAREER FOR ME AND MY KIDS, MOM.

Just saying, I don't see anything about his behavior so far that's inconsistent with Derick being a spoiled upper-middle-class kid who turned hyper-religiose so he'd have a biblical excuse to resent his mom for making more money than daddy instead of staying home and making Derick four star bag lunches and forcing the other kids to play with him.

You make a darned good case. ....

I suppose he could also just be somebody kind of dim who fell farther into religion than his parents because he was emotionally needy or whatever, and then stay-at-home momism (and the Duggars) came along with that.

Whatever the explanation, his life path doesn't exactly scream out "thoughtful" or "successful" or "confident' or "reliable" or "going anywhere sensible." Despite a few higher points, his bio's kind of a mess, no matter how you slice it. And yet he thinks that he has the universal final answer to everything and that he should make it his life's work to get everybody in the world to see things his way. Don't see why anyone would listen to his preaching. I wonder what his mother actually thinks.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

Amen! I have always boggled at the version of God who is petty, vengeful, spiteful - you know, all the things we are NOT supposed to be.

I also don't get get how this crew is all about Jesus, but they seem to be enamored of the OT God, who was really cranky. Everyone knows that He softened up quite a bit after He became a Dad. :)

As a midwife, Jill would be in a great position to save souls. "Your baby is healthy and everything looks good. By the way, you don't want him/her to go to Hell, do you?" [\snark]

This post is absolutely fantastic!

• Love 6

Why did it take Jill almost six years to complete this training? I hope the poor women in wherever she and Derick are, know how negligent she was with her own birth. I'd stay far away from her.

Maybe it took her that long because 1) she was raising her mother's kids; and 2) she didn't have anyone to encourage or support her endeavors until Derrick.

• Love 9

I'm not sure Derick getting a job at Walmart because his mom works there is really such an evil, spoiled brat thing. People use connections to find jobs. People hire relatives of their employees all the time. This is especially true for first time jobs. It's not like he was given a vice presidency.

I think you may be misinterpreting (or possibly I just put it badly).

My issue is not with Derrick having help from his family to get a job which, as a man in his mid-twenties with no work experience and a years-old unused degree in a job dealing with highly technical regulatory issues, he would never have been considered for on his own.

My issue is that Derrick was a man in his mid-twenties who had never held a job. He could have at any point prevailed on mom to hook him up with a job. He had an in with a corporation which has jobs available for pretty much any level of age and experience there is, with locations all over the place.

He could have been building a bank account, saving for a down payment on a house, establishing a work history, making contacts, discovering what he was and wasn't interested in doing with his life, and generally doing something or anything to further his stated goal of having the patriarchal fantasy of a barefoot pregnant woman with babies hanging off of her making him dinner while he brings home the bacon.

Instead, he allowed a working woman to subsidize his ongoing vacation from life and only took a job when he needed to be seen being a breadwinner for the wife whose income stream he was marrying into. And then when he was faced with actually showing up at that job he was damn lucky to have every day and working to support his family, he bolted.

Whatever his motivations, I don't see taking a job as a selfish act on his part. As you say, as much as it sucks for the qualified applicant who didn't get that job, someone else connected probably would have. Taken in the context of the run of his life, yeah, spoiled til salt won't save him.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 12

That's a good point Julia. I did misinterpret that. I also forget sometimes that Derick is older than Ben. At Ben's age it wouldn't be so bad to have only had the Walmart job. But Derick is 26. I can never remember that because he and Jill look about 17. Of course Josh makes up for it by looking 40+. LOL. 

He has had time to have a plan and have a direction for his life. I do wonder how much the show affected all of the kids' abilities to plan for the future. JB let Josh go to DC because they could continue their part of the show there, it was a political job, and because I think he hoped Josh would straighten out there. But the rest of them had to be committed to the show. No one wants to be the kid (or spouse of the kid) who affects the gravy train for the entire family. I am going to be fascinated to watch over the next year or two what the kids choose to do. I keep hoping the removal of the show as a blackmail device will help someone, anyone, break away from JB.

That isn't to say I'm justifying Derick's lack of responsibility for his life. Clearly he could have done a lot in these past years. I guess the one sliver of hope I still have is that the removal of the show will either be a wake-up call or an escape hatch for some of these kids. Maybe not Derick and Jill since their current plan seems to be to run off to some 'heathen country' and deliver babies. Come to think of it, have they actually said what Derick will be doing on the mission field while Jill plays midwife? 

• Love 2

From what I saw, Jana and Jill got stuck doing the majority of the caretaking for Josie, which was pretty much a 24/7 job. Throw in two years for courtship, marriage, pregnancy and baby and it's not unreasonable that it took so long to get her certification.

• Love 2

In the therapy world we encounter transference; when a client transfer their feelings of someone else (or a definition of someone, i.e. parent) to their therapist. Many times it can be negative feelings, but often times it is positive. If not addressed appropriately it can breed extreme dependence and/or putting their therapist on a pedestal, so-to-speak. 

I would guess this could happen often with Midwives due the the time, attention and intimacy of the relationship between patient and Midwife. IMO, this certainly could lead to many a conversion. 

• Love 2

In the therapy world we encounter transference; when a client transfer their feelings of someone else (or a definition of someone, i.e. parent) to their therapist. Many times it can be negative feelings, but often times it is positive. If not addressed appropriately it can breed extreme dependence and/or putting their therapist on a pedestal, so-to-speak. 

I would guess this could happen often with Midwives due the the time, attention and intimacy of the relationship between patient and Midwife. IMO, this certainly could lead to many a conversion. 

This isn't exactly what I meant and certainly not what I would want someone to be doing. What I meant is that is you want to show someone how the love of Christ can affect a person, then you show them love. You don't preach at them or tell them they are going to hell. If someone sees something good in you, like you are providing needed medical care to people who don't have it, then it is a reflection of Christ. If you live that way then people will see that and want to learn more about Christ - not you and definitely you aren't hoping people fall for you and then you can convince them to convert. The medical person shouldn't be preaching at all. 

• Love 5

This isn't exactly what I meant and certainly not what I would want someone to be doing. What I meant is that is you want to show someone how the love of Christ can affect a person, then you show them love. You don't preach at them or tell them they are going to hell. If someone sees something good in you, like you are providing needed medical care to people who don't have it, then it is a reflection of Christ. If you live that way then people will see that and want to learn more about Christ - not you and definitely you aren't hoping people fall for you and then you can convince them to convert. The medical person shouldn't be preaching at all. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that is what you meant, I was just adding that this happens with no intention sometimes. I doubt Jill knows of, or understands, transference, but it is a real occurrence in the helping field. 

• Love 3

:snipped for space:

I love this post so much I'm purposing to start a courtship with it.

BRAVA! :claps wildly:

• Love 4

Nepotism lives, that's for sure, and always will. People hire their own relatives, or relatives of current employees ALL the time. Hey, it's faster & that much easier than the regular route. And of course every idiot manager is expecting to find the same fine work-related qualities in BOTH individuals. "Mom is a super worker; it only follows that Junior will be too!" But in the long run, it's very definitely not the smartest tactic to take, because in a majority of cases you DON'T get a carbon copy employee. It's amazing to me that it still happens as much as it does, because it only creates more problems than you had before.  A - You still don't have the right person for the position, and have wasted that much time and $$ in training & paying the wrong hire. B - How to "get rid of" the wrong hire and, if possible, without offending the employee you want to keep. C - a group morale problem because nepotism never fails to create a bad vibe within the existing group. The new hire is not welcomed, and never accepted, the same as a brand-new, "from the outside" non-connected person would be. So in the end, if WalMart hired Derick simply because he was his mother's son and knew something about accounting, it wasn't very smart of them.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 8

I think you may be misinterpreting (or possibly I just put it badly).

My issue is not with Derrick having help from his family to get a job which, as a man in his mid-twenties with no work experience and a years-old unused degree in a job dealing with highly technical regulatory issues, he would never have been considered for on his own.

My issue is that Derrick was a man in his mid-twenties who had never held a job. He could have at any point have prevailed on mom to hook him up with a job. He had an in with a corporation which has jobs available for pretty much any level of age and experience there is, with locations all over the place.

He could have been building a bank account, saving for a down payment on a house, establishing a work history, making contacts, discovering what he was and wasn't interested in doing with his life, and generally doing something or anything to further his stated goal of having the patriarchal fantasy of a barefoot pregnant woman with babies hanging off of her making him dinner while he brings home the bacon.

Did he actually state that?

Instead, he allowed a working woman to subsidize his ongoing vacation from life and only took a job when he needed to be seen being a breadwinner for the wife whose income stream he was marrying into. And then when he was faced with actually showing up at that job he was damn lucky to have every day and working to support his family, he bolted.

Whatever his motivations, I don't see taking a job as a selfish act on his part. As you say, as much as it sucks for the qualified applicant who didn't get that job, someone else connected probably would have. Taken in the context of the run of his life, yeah, spoiled til salt won't save him.

His dad may have left him an inheritance, and he may have decided to spend that on his mission to Nepal. His dad died suddenly, aged fifty. Things like that aren't water off a ducks back. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

So in the end, if WalMart hired Derick simply because he was his mother's son and knew something about accounting, it wasn't very smart of them.

I think WalMart is a special case, though, because they try to portray a shiny image of family-friendliness and community spirit, and over the years it's become clear that's not strictly accurate. I would think they'd have an insular corporate culture at the decision-making level to avoid having to deal with potential troublemakers.

It's also a family business, so it would be a little touchy for anyone in upper management to make the case that who's your daddy (or grand-daddy) isn't a real good way to pick employees.

• Love 1

And as someone said earlier it sure seems like Derick was the driving force behind Jill's completion of her midwifery training

A good submissive always supports the dom.

I just realized that Jill and Derick are both where they are today, career wise, because of their mothers.

Derick seems the type who had a big shock (Dad died) and is now filling the hole with ANYTHING. College emulation of dad, marriage, babies, work, TV fame, stardom, effortless money. It's kind of sad. When will he feel whole? I guess he's not filling the hole with food, so that's something.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 4

Maybe it took her that long because 1) she was raising her mother's kids; and 2) she didn't have anyone to encourage or support her endeavors until Derrick.

Plus, there actually is quite a bit of work involved. Among other things, you've got to hook up to a situation that'll let you assist in 20 births and be the primary midwife in 20 more, plus either assist at or be primary caregiver at 190 exams at various pre-, and post-birth stages. I would think that just the logistics of getting all that arranged would take a fair amount of time, let alone actually doing it. For one thing, when you attend at a birth, you don't just go over to somebody's house, spend an hour and a half and then drive back home. A lot of the time you probably end up there all night or longer. Babies don't arrive on schedule (especially when you're not administering drugs to the mother to make that happen.) Honestly, I remain surprised that she managed to get all that experience in, even now. And the written test is pretty comprehensive .... and I doubt that Jill's been much of a reader or had a lot of experience studying and remembering things. That's also work, and work that I would expect was pretty time consuming for her.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

That's a good point Julia. I did misinterpret that. I also forget sometimes that Derick is older than Ben. At Ben's age it wouldn't be so bad to have only had the Walmart job. But Derick is 26. I can never remember that because he and Jill look about 17. Of course Josh makes up for it by looking 40+. LOL. 

He has had time to have a plan and have a direction for his life. I do wonder how much the show affected all of the kids' abilities to plan for the future. JB let Josh go to DC because they could continue their part of the show there, it was a political job, and because I think he hoped Josh would straighten out there. But the rest of them had to be committed to the show. No one wants to be the kid (or spouse of the kid) who affects the gravy train for the entire family. I am going to be fascinated to watch over the next year or two what the kids choose to do. I keep hoping the removal of the show as a blackmail device will help someone, anyone, break away from JB.

That isn't to say I'm justifying Derick's lack of responsibility for his life. Clearly he could have done a lot in these past years. I guess the one sliver of hope I still have is that the removal of the show will either be a wake-up call or an escape hatch for some of these kids. Maybe not Derick and Jill since their current plan seems to be to run off to some 'heathen country' and deliver babies. Come to think of it, have they actually said what Derick will be doing on the mission field while Jill plays midwife? 

I do think that Derick had a plan -- he wanted to be a missionary. I don't think that his 2 years in Nepal was as a missionary-tourist, although I could be wrong. Once he returned to the US and took the job at WalMart, he started studying for his Masters in Divinity. As I understood it, it was always his plan to return to missionary work.

I think his interest in Jill had more to do with her stated desire to be a missionary than her patriarchal beliefs or her association with reality TV. 

I also think that the realities of life at the TTH was much different than he expected. JB and Jill probably convinced him that they could live in the McMansion and do a couple of episodes of the show for a little extra cash to fund their educations and eventual return to the missionary field. It all blew up in his face pretty quickly and he saw himself getting sucked deeper and deeper into the Duggar vortex, and then the SOS opportunity came along and he jumped at it.

That having been said, I'm all for helping people in need, but I guess that Derick and I view the concept of "need" differently. If he wants to go and build schools and hospitals, that's great; if he thinks that he can travel to a different country and put on that sad little play and save souls he's too naive to be away from home at all.

• Love 12

His dad may have left him an inheritance, and he may have decided to spend that on his mission to Nepal. His dad died suddenly, aged fifty. Things like that aren't water off a ducks back.

My dad died suddenly at age 46. He left a disabled wife and three daughters, two of which were minors. He was also very underinsured. He had some personal habits that led to his early demise. Let's see if I can tactfully make the following observation.

I think it depends on the bereaved whether or not it's "water off a duck's back". We suffered fairly significant personal and financial challenges as a result of my father's death. A certain party currently married to Jill Duggar would not have suffered the financial challenges in question due to the fact his mother had a very good job. The personal challenges? The jury's out, at least for me. And this is my opinion: The more I learn about the young Mr. Dillard, I wonder if he learned anything at all from such a tragic and soul-shaking event.

• Love 3

I think he was a fairly average, if goody two shoes person before hand, and the loss of his father send him down the uber religious path in search for meaning. He was at college at the time, so day to day existence wasn't a problem, there was no question his mother could continue to pay his tuition and living expenses, plus since his dad was a state cop, he probably had life insurance as an employee benefit. I doubt money has ever been something Derick had to worry about, but I see no evidence either that he wastes it.

• Love 4

I do think that Derick had a plan -- he wanted to be a missionary. I don't think that his 2 years in Nepal was as a missionary-tourist, although I could be wrong. Once he returned to the US and took the job at WalMart, he started studying for his Masters in Divinity. As I understood it, it was always his plan to return to missionary work.

But, here's the thing. If that was a goal, he was an able-bodied college-educated young man with resources to draw on, access to lucrative employment, and (based on his lack of employment at any point in his life) no college loans to pay off. If his goal was ministry (and I'm not intending to demean the concept of ministry, just what Derrick appears to have made of it), that's a serious job which you need a serious knowledge base to perform in any useful way, and he had that opportunity in his grasp.

Instead, he took an unpaid gig which at least according to the description on his CV amounted to a few years showing fellow religious tourists around a country with very serious needs he is in no way competent to meet, and attempting to teach any locals who spoke english complementarianism on his mama's dime.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jill lucked out big, because she wasn't going to get any support in joining the outside word from inside her family's faith community. But I think Derick is in a pretty poor position to lay down the law about anything which involves putting his money where his mouth is. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

More like major lawsuit! I'm guessing that CPMs don't have any malpractice insurance, right, Doodlebug?

I practice in a state where CPM's aren't licensed to practice at all, so they couldn't get malpractice coverage if they wanted it, which they don't.  You've got to be practicing legally to get a policy. However, I've never run across a malpractice carrier who would cover anyone for home births.  Practitioners who do them, even MD's and CNM's, are on their own.  If they have a freestanding birth center where they work, they'd have to be licensed by the state and there are really strict criteria for that,  If the birth center was legitimately licensed, it would probably be possible for it's owners to get coverage and practitioners to get coverage for deliveries done there.  However, many CPM's don't want to limit their practices to only the lowest risk women; they want VBAC's and vaginal breeches and I'd be shocked if any malpractice insurer would be willing to cover those outside a hospital.

Most CPM'x barely make a living, they are part timers usually.  Then, if they follow the Gothard -style teaching that their husband should be running their own business and not working for anyone else, while also following the dictum that disdains higher education; they are probably not wealthy.  Remember what life was like for the Diggers before TLC, they were living below poverty level.  Having such a low income family-wise and no malpractice insurance would protect a CPM from lawsuits against her because plaintiff's attorneys usually work for a cut of the proceeds from the suit, a third or half is typical.  So, a CPM botches a delivery, but she has virtually no assets, maybe is part owner of a small house, has an old beat up car and a passel of kids herself.  Even if its the best case in the world, no lawyer is going to take it because, even if they win, there is no money to be had.  A jury can award a million dollars, but if the defendant doesn't have it, she doesn't have it.  No lawyer is going to agree to getting a measly few grand.  That's why, in these situations, the lawyer will go after the hospital, doctors and nurses who cared for the mom and baby after the CPM sent them to the hospital after things went south. In that case, especially if there is a seriously handicapped child, juries can be swayed to find the insured folks liable and then there are millions in play from malpractice coverage.  Most hospitals won't let a doctor or nurse practitioner work there unless they've got coverage for that reason. If things go bad, they want as many insurance policies as possible involved.  Florida is the only state that I know where hospitals are not allowed to insist on malpractice coverage for practitioners.  It has resulted in most OB/GYN's in Florida 'going bare' and carrying no malpractice at all.  It has also resulted in a huge decrease in the number of suits filed because uninsured defendants, even doctors, don't have enough assets that can easily be converted to cash to pay the lawyers.

• Love 5

If nothing else, Derick's stay in Nepal helped the local economy. And his mother has free will to say yes or no to funding his Nepalese mission. Derick may have used his inheritance to fund it, and in either case, that money ultimately was spent in Nepal and benefited Nepal.

• Love 2

Florida is the only state that I know where hospitals are not allowed to insist on malpractice coverage for practitioners.  It has resulted in most OB/GYN's in Florida 'going bare' and carrying no malpractice at all.  It has also resulted in a huge decrease in the number of suits filed because uninsured defendants, even doctors, don't have enough assets that can easily be converted to cash to pay the lawyers.

It also ensures that lots of Florida women are going to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Georgia to have their babies.  The wife of one of my employees gave birth in Mobile, AL a few weeks ago.  We're 45 minutes away, in Florida.  

I honestly don't think Jill will ever have to worry about lawsuits down in Central America.  If she does any "assisting", she probably won't do it for very long.  She's got more babies in the pipeline, I imagine. 

Malpractice suits are a first world problem, it is indeed highly unlikely that Jill would ever face one in El Salvador.  Considering the average El Salvadoran's annual income is around the amount that Jill spends for a single round trip to the US for herself, of course, even if she did get sued, she would be able to pay any settlement the court would order out of petty cash from Dillard Family Ministries.   I also think that, if Jill does any midwifery at all down there, it will probably be for other fundies coming from the US on evangetourism trips.  Salvadorans themselves have access to decent, government supported, care for childbirth; I doubt the locals will be seeking her out for care.  The fundies here in the US, anyway, are all about God's will in these things and will almost never sue another fundy for malpractice.  The hospital and other non-fundy midwives and docs, sure, but not their fundy pals.

That Derrick would think that giving a box of donuts he got for FREE, for heavens' sakes, to a homeless family was such an altruistic act that he needed to get a photo of himself handing it to the poor people so he could post it online, is just tragic.  Aren't the indigent suffering enough that they shouldn't have to tolerate an ignorant, self aggrandizing twit pretending he's Mother Teresa for giving them free donuts?  Anyone else think the box probably wasn't even full anyway?  The arrogance of these people is just stupefying.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 19

My CNMs had malpractice insurance. In fact they had to change their VBAC policy between my first and second home birth because of the change of policy at their insurance company. When I had my first home birth (2nd child) they were insured for VBACs if the mother had a successful vaginal delivery since the c-section so she had what they called a 'proven pelvis'. But their insurance company changed it's view on that and by the time I had my 2nd home birth they were not accepting VBACs at all regardless of how many vaginal births she had since the section.

There's a picture where Jill is standing holding Iz (Derick looming as usual) in front of a homemade sign that says CONGRATS JILL BLAH BLAH... Anyway, I think it's the nicest picture I've ever seen of her. She looks relaxed and genuninely happy, and her smile is just natural and so beautiful. I hope her sisters are looking at her and seeing what a true sense of accomplishment can do for a person.

It's one of the pics in this article.

http://www.eonline.com/news/697594/the-duggars-where-are-they-now-after-josh-duggar-s-scandals-get-updates-on-him-anna-jill-and-jessa

First posted on Jessa's Instagram:

https://instagram.com/jessaseewald/

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 3

There's a picture where Jill is standing holding Iz (Derick looming as usual) in front of a homemade sign that says CONGRATS JILL BLAH BLAH... Anyway, I think it's the nicest picture I've ever seen of her. She looks relaxed and genuninely happy, and her smile is just natural and so beautiful. I hope her sisters are looking at her and seeing what a true sense of accomplishment can do for a person.

http://www.eonline.com/news/697594/the-duggars-where-are-they-now-after-josh-duggar-s-scandals-get-updates-on-him-anna-jill-and-jessa

You gotta warn a girl next time! Smugs' face in the first pic almost made me lose my lunch. Kidding. :) Anyway, yeah, she looks good in that pic. Looks like she's lost some weight too. Her neck seems smaller.

Derick looks a bit like Iwan Rheon playing Ramsay Bolton in Game of Thrones. His transformation has been interesting.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
You gotta warn a girl next time! Smugs' face in the first pic almost made me lose my lunch. Kidding. :) Anyway, yeah, she looks good in that pic. Looks like she's lost some weight too. Her neck seems smaller.

Sorry! I've added the link to Jessa's Instagram where it was first posted. :-)

• Love 1

It's one of the pics in this article.

First posted on Jessa's Instagram:

https://instagram.com/jessaseewald/

I agree with you 100%. I would also like to add, though, that this is the ONLY photo of Jill that I've seen in ages where she's not doing the wide-eyed, lifted eyebrow thing that she thinks is so attractive.

• Love 3

I agree with you 100%. I would also like to add, though, that this is the ONLY photo of Jill that I've seen in ages where she's not doing the wide-eyed, lifted eyebrow thing that she thinks is so attractive.

Thank you. Steve Irwin used to do that, and I never understood why - I'm going to guess somebody in their production companies told them their eyes are too small? - but it's creepy and I hope if this means she gets positive feedback and she'll stop.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Yeah. My theory is she's not pretending to be happy; the smile isn't a pose, it just happened. Which is probably a rarity in Duggarland.

• Love 5

Free donuts for pirates at Krispy Kreme. They happened upon to hungry travelers. 

Oh, thanks. So he's actually Robin Hood the Pirate. Stole the booty from Krispy Kreme and gave it to the poor. How noble of him.I wouldn't want a photo of myself giving away free donuts as if it were charity, but hey. Clears things up for me about the pirate outfit, though. I thought he might be trying out his costume for another conversion skit.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Oh, thanks. So he's actually Robin Hood the Pirate. Stole the booty from Krispy Kreme and gave it to the poor. How noble of him.I wouldn't want a photo of myself giving away free donuts as if it were charity, but hey. Clears things up for me about the pirate outfit, though. I thought he might be trying out his costume for another conversion skit.

What amused me is that his friends there were a single "I need a hero" t-shirt from being deadheads.

• Love 2

Why did it take Jill almost six years to complete this training? I hope the poor women in wherever she and Derick are, know how negligent she was with her own birth. I'd stay far away from her.

Because she was a mother first and a student when ever her "mother duties" allowed. Now that she isn't responsible for all her children she had a lot more time to really sit down and study. JMHO

Oh look she wore a nice dress to get free donuts better than a lot of her shitty outfits that look like she rolled out of bed and went to church in.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

So they got donuts for free. And then gave them to a family who were hungry and broke. And then took pictures of themselves with the family (and their sign, making sure we all know they were hungry and broke). And then posted those pictures on Instagram? I admit I'm no expert on Christian theology, but there appears to be something slightly wrong with this sequence of events. Shouldn't there be more actual helping the needy and less announcing it with trumpets? (I always want to ask these fundies if they've actually read Matthew 6)

It's almost funny how Duggar-ish this picture is. Not only is giving away the junk food they got for free an act of selfless charity, it is considered important and godly enough to be announced to the world.

They may need the photo for tax purposes. ;)

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 11