Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

As I was washing it I was thinking how much more of a PITA it must be to have Duggar hair. To wash & dry, then curl that long, long hair. So I wonder how many days go between washings, & maybe that's why Jills hair usually looks unkempt.

Not to mention having to wait in line for the shower. I probably wouldn't wash my hair everyday with that many girls waiting on one (two?) showers. Then the habit sticks as an adult.

Someone mentioned Jill has 13 days left before being ready for sex. Since pregnancy in the US is dated from about two weeks before ovulation, she may already be in her second pregnancy!

Seriously, I hope that girl heals up before she gets started on the next one. 40 days seems like such a short amount of time to heal.

• Love 2

Don't OB/GYNs usually recommend waiting 6 weeks after you give birth to have sex again anyway? You want things to heal. I would think that goes doubly after a c-section, though maybe it's not so bad if you can accommodate the incision site? I don't know, I have no children.

My friend, who is pregnant with #2, says that the first 2 weeks after giving birth are the worst. And she had an uncomplicated vaginal first delivery.

I think that he's been cut an enormous amount of slack because of the Cathy's illness and the wedding, and I think that being Cathy's son probably helped, too. 

JB may well have offered to make him the accountant for JB's business, and he is probably getting pressure from Jill, too. With his "paycheck" from JB and the TLC money, it probably looked like a pretty cushy situation. Still, Derick has a family and a background, too. Both his parents went to work every day. People aren't usually drawn to accounting because they like piecemeal work, and chaotic working conditions. I just don't see him being comfortable with the Duggar style of wandering around the house all day and working here and there on projects.

My feeling on hearing that he was going back to work, was that something happened that made up his mind for him, and he has decided to go all-in at WalMart. Maybe he looked at his son and thought about his long-term responsibility to him; maybe he went down to Big Sandy and saw what the Gothard lifestyle had in store for his family; maybe his bosses said "we've given you a lot of slack, if you're going to work here, we expect you to start coming to work regularly for the next 6 months," or maybe he was planning to return to work after a few weeks all along.

And yes, this could be Derick's deal too. It's frustrating not knowing, but then what would we post about?

Let's move off the Jill/Kate comparisons and discussion.  There's really nothing more to add here.  Unless and until Jilly Muffin decides to give Kate advice on raising Princess Charlotte, of course :-)

• Love 5

It's my understanding the Cathy was a Sr VP in the Accounting Dept.

It appears to me that Cathy is taking a very hands-off approach and doing her best to get along with her new in-laws. For the most part, I don't see her "pulling Derick aside" and having a talk with him about anything to do with his marriage. I do, however, think it's possible that she pulled him aside and had a talk with him about work. It was, arguably, her influence that got him that job, and her reputation at stake. If it looks like he is taking advantage of the situation, I could easily see he having a talk with him about it.

• Love 2

Exactly, from what we see from the show and other appearances he has made, Derrick has taken too much time off with only a year on the job.  I know some here think it all only adds up to 3 weeks plus FMLA, but I say it looks extremely bad and gives a terrible impression to his co-workers.  I've worked in various places and held high level positions so can see that it would cause trouble at my level and sure as heck would at levels below me.  I'd be mighty tired of hearing the complaints.  I'd have told Derick some time ago that work is work, and you either get with the program or leave.  Just having Jill Clingon coming morning noon and night would cause resentment.  And anybody who has spent significant time working knows it..  You might not be doing the sniping but you'd hear it, and it reflects badly on the workplace, and I, personally, wouldn't tolerate for long.  Pretty soon you'd have others trying to pull the same shit, going to funerals of relatives they haven't seen in 15 years, and so on.

• Love 5
(edited)

[snip] My husband works and has worked for major corporations and again, I see nothing odd about Derick's work schedule.

Edited by Rhondinella
um
  • Love 5

I couldn't help laughing at the clip of the Duggars at the church when Jim Bob said "sorry Jill and Derrick can't be here because derricks recovering from minor surgery." In my circles a man recovering from minor surgery is the code for someone recovering from the snip :) obviously not the case for the dillards but couldn't help thinking - well his first ATI conference and he is clearly done having children!

• Love 5

The waiting 40 days after giving birth to a boy to have sex is normal and in keeping with doctors' six weeks guidelines. What bugs me is that they follow Old Testament law by waiting 80 days after the birth of a girl. One of the several random times Gothard has his followers obeying Old Testament law, even though they discard most of it. It's especially troubling because of how misogynistic a law it was, because women were seen as twice as unclean. Whatever.

The Duggars probably dread giving birth to girls, then, because it's 40 more days with no chance of pregnancy. And of course Boob must have dreaded it for his own reasons, as he seems incapable of thinking about much else besides bedding Michelle. But as many have said, giving birth within the first few months of breastfeeding is unlikely, although not impossible.

I wonder what will happen with Jill planning on vaginal births after C section (VBAC). Watching the birth special tonight, something Michelle's OB/GYN struck me, that she was willing to do VBAC but said it was Michelle fulfilled the qualifications, which included having given birth vaginally prior to her C section. I wonder what this means for Jill, that her very first delivery was a C section, as far as the scar on the uterus and it being forever weaker. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge than I have can speak to it.

[snip] My husband works and has worked for major corporations and again, I see nothing odd about Derick's work schedule.

I don't see anything too odd about it either - for all we know he works "4 10s" or something too, meaning he'd have 3 days off per week - not that uncommon for corporations I'm familiar with, although I'm not that familiar with Walmart's policies.

Pretty soon you'd have others trying to pull the same shit, going to funerals of relatives they haven't seen in 15 years, and so on.

And on the flip-side, I've seen this, too. I remember when our group supervisor (different company) finally had to start asking for death certificates for my one co-worker's uncles who seemed to die once a month. She felt bad doing it, but suddenly my co-worker was at work a lot more and had a lot fewer funerals to go to.

Derick seems to me like he'd be pretty responsible, but it's hard to know.

• Love 1

I believe we have beaten the "Derrick's time off from Wal Mart" horse to death, into its next incarnation as a horse, and to death again.

Further posts on this topic may very well disappear.

Thanks for moving along.

• Love 8

Even though they've shown the commercial for Jill's Special Delivery, I only now noticed their still side hugging each other. Why? Their married now it hardly matters if they defraud each other, right?

Just to piggyback on what Bella said, we're not saying the topic of Derrick's employment can never be mentioned again.  But there's no need to do so unless and until further evidence is uncovered as to what his situation is.  At the moment we just don't have enough concrete information to base a conclusion on, which leads to endless speculation.

Thanks.

• Love 4

I wonder what will happen with Jill planning on vaginal births after C section (VBAC).

Jill's doctor GUARANTEED she'd be able to VBAC. That's where we learned Jill only hear what she wants to hear. No competent doctor talks like that. Let alone one who doesn't want to be sued.

• Love 1

Jill should realize that the safety of her child is more important than being able to announce she's pushed out 17 kids.

Well, she doesn't exactly have any different role model to emulate.  It's all she knows.

• Love 6
(edited)

I think side hugs are also convenient for the cameras.

Or maybe her belly and boobs are still sore. When I was nursing, my boobs were mine and only mine. And I nursed for 18 months. :-)

And perhaps, a habit that's hard to break?

Edited by Jellybeans

Did it make sense to anyone that Jill and Derrick went to the party store to spend a lot of money buying both pink AND blue decorations for the reveal of the baby's sex and all before the ultrasound? And Derrick's brother landing in Nebraska to go visit the mother in the hospital but stopping in the airport gift shop to buy both a pink AND blue floral bouquet? I didn't get the logic in all that. They shop for their generic long denim skirts in thrift shops to save money, but blow a wad of dough buying decorations that they don't need? Between the decorations and flowers that will be tossed away, I found to be a total waste of money.

I couldn't help laughing at the clip of the Duggars at the church when Jim Bob said "sorry Jill and Derrick can't be here because derricks recovering from minor surgery." In my circles a man recovering from minor surgery is the code for someone recovering from the snip :) obviously not the case for the dillards but couldn't help thinking - well his first ATI conference and he is clearly done having children!

Maybe he was having a pair sewn on, not snipped off?

• Love 6

We speculated about the pink/blue. Several people had good theories, including that perhaps they were purchased before the day of the ultrasound. Or it was a total TLC setup and it was paid for by them. Or - and I personally find this the most credible - they bought both because someone might take a photo or tweet if they had bought only pink or blue.

None of these were my suggestions, by the way. Others were great though, in thinking them up!

• Love 1
(edited)

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-counting-sneak-peek-jill-duggar-dillard-midwife-birth-israel-david-video

"She's got information overload," shares Duggar matriarch Michelle

In the video Michelle compares Jill to a Doctor or Nurse. As a nurse, no, JUST NO. Not even close. She got 'overloaded' by a lifetime of unrealistic exceptions, no negative experiences, shes surrounded by idiots, and no has common sense.

EDIT: Removed Midwife info since it doesn't appear to be true.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8
(edited)

OMG.  Who puts a CROSS on their shower curtain?  I can't even imagine. Can't they even take a shower or use the toilet without having Jesus front and center?  I am a Catholic and have several crosses hanging on my walls, but not in the bathroom.

Sorry, I just cannot wrap my brain around this.  

And if you read the comments, according to one leg humper Jill is earning her Master's degree!  *snickers*

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 12

I don't know if that's true about the midwife; a quick google showed nothing. But if it's not true, she should be all over this right now, because (if it's not true) it's serious, actionable defamation. So I guess we'll see what we see.

Gotta love the commenter who firmly holds that Jill is currently working on her Master's Degree. Wow. Even the Duggars haven't made a wild-ass claim like that. I mean, you have Michelle saying Jill is as knowledgeable as a doctor or a nurse, but even she isn't pinning fake degrees on her kids. So far.

(edited)

Who puts a CROSS on their shower curtain?*

That shower didn't look like it even had a shower curtain. I thought maybe the tile was just placed that way unintentionally forming sort of a cross, if that's what you were talking about.

While I understand the intent behind Michelle's comment about the doctors and nurses, the way that she phrased it was so odd. She said, "I've heard it said that nurses and doctors know way more than other people know about all kinds of things that could happen." Well if we're talking about things in the medical field--she didn't even specify this concerned L&D healthcare providers--I would certainly hope they would know more than "other people" know. But of course Michelle does not specify this and just mentions "all kinds of things."

Edited by Lukeysboat
  • Love 3

It's my remembrance that ATI is sort of like a camp ground with a lot of dirt paths. It always reminded me of our denominational camp meeting. A stroller there would be of limited use, while a sling would be ideal. (I'm the minority who isn't bent out about the sling. There are about a dozen different ways to use them, especially as large as Iz is, so long as he is tightly pressed up against the body. Google "baby sling images" and you'll see plenty of people using the method Jill is using.)

• Love 1

OMG.  Who puts a CROSS on their shower curtain?  I can't even imagine. Can't they even take a shower or use the toilet without having Jesus front and center?  I am a Catholic and have several crosses hanging on my walls, but not in the bathroom.

Sorry, I just cannot wrap my brain around this.  

And if you read the comments, according to one leg humper Jill is earning her Master's degree!  *snickers*

That person has no clue what a Master's degree is. 

With Jill misusing that sling thing why aren't they using a stroller?

Because a sling allows her to wear a baby front and center so everyone can see JILL MADE A BLESSING AND SHE DELIVERED EVERY SINGLE ONE AFTER 70 HOURS OF LABOR. (Which, I absolutely do not believe she was in 70 hours of real 'labor' - I think she's counting her first back pain until the actual delivery.

• Love 4
(edited)

That shower didn't look like it even had a shower curtain. I thought maybe the tile was just placed that way unintentionally forming sort of a cross, if that's what you were talking about.

No, not the shower stall, but at the beginning of the video behind Jill you can see what I assumed was a bathroom, and there is a white curtain with a blue valance and a giant blue cross.  Looks like a shower curtain to me- maybe it was a curtain to close off a closet?  Who knows- but it certainly looked odd.

ETA: looked again.  At about 10 seconds in you can see that they put a curtain with a giant cross over the bathroom door.  Strangest thing I ever saw.  It doesn't look like the door has glass in it.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2

It's my remembrance that ATI is sort of like a camp ground with a lot of dirt paths. It always reminded me of our denominational camp meeting. A stroller there would be of limited use, while a sling would be ideal. (I'm the minority who isn't bent out about the sling. There are about a dozen different ways to use them, especially as large as Iz is, so long as he is tightly pressed up against the body. Google "baby sling images" and you'll see plenty of people using the method Jill is using.)

I'm not a mom - and all the nieces & nephews are teens and 20s by now. No idea whether Jill is using the sling correctly for an Iz-sized baby. But if I ever DO need to know, I think it would probably be better to consult the manufacturer or a medical professional. Google Images could have a fair number of photos showing the wrong way, and I'd never know it.

• Love 7

Oh my God! Can you stand it?   Pistol Pete! hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  'awesome'

derick+as+pistol+pete+in+college+at+OSU.

Holy moly! This just reinforces my contention that Derick should lose that patchy "beard" of his ASAP. This look is much nicer. He's still not George Clooney but then, who is? He should think about gaining a little weight too. Not a lot, just a little muscle. He's such a beanpole now...

• Love 1

Holy moly! This just reinforces my contention that Derick should lose that patchy "beard" of his ASAP. This look is much nicer. He's still not George Clooney but then, who is? He should think about gaining a little weight too. Not a lot, just a little muscle. He's such a beanpole now...

I agree with the beard thing, it  should go, it's just nasty looking. This cleaner version looks like a Derick and the other a Derelick

• Love 6
(edited)

Derick got a Baby Changing tool box at his birthday/shower party and included in the box was a turkey baster. He wasn't sure what that was for. Derick is still on 'Sex & Marriage 101' classes and he has a few years to go and a lot more 'edukashun' before he can get imaginative with the turkey baster. (woot!)

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 2
(edited)

ETA: looked again. At about 10 seconds in you can see that they put a curtain with a giant cross over the bathroom door. Strangest thing I ever saw. It doesn't look like the door has glass in it.

Now I see what you mean. That *is* unusual. It looks like a banner that would hang in a church. Also interesting is that it's the white and blue of Israel.

Edited by Lukeysboat

I don't know what a turkey baster would be doing in a baby changing kit, either.

Zahdii - unless it's an insemination "joke" in exceptionally poor taste I can't imagine what it would be used for either !!! I'm familiar with the little nose-sucking bulbs that help to clear a baby's sinuses before they're able to blow on their own, but a turkey baster can't possibly have a real-world application here that would be anything but ill-advised if not downright dangerous. If it is, in fact, a "gag" gift I hope Derick knows better !!!

Then again, I've seen "Mother of the Year" Michelle feeding preemie Josie ONE HER BACK on a couch with a large wooden spoon, of all things, so my expectations of parenting prowess for the whole family are pretty low.

• Love 3

I don't know what a turkey baster would be doing in a baby changing kit, either.

I took the turkey baster to be a direct reference from Three Men and a Baby. Tom Selleck, Ted Danson et al used a turkey baster filled with warm soapy water from the sink the first time they had to clean and diaper the new little baby girl that had been left on their doorstep. Because they were supposedly so inept and nervous about babies. Who knows what the Duggars meant it for though?

• Love 2
(edited)

Derick is such a dorky doofus from Whothefuckknows,Nebraska that he just might think it was a turkey baster. That's all I can think it was, a baby nasal secretions sucker outer

myB-SxOtMCytFP4fqwBVbxg.jpg  

AKA 'Turkey Baster'

His brother doesn't look much brighter than Derick. That shot of them in the car together with the brother in the back seat wearing that quirky woolen hat with the side tassels and Derick driving, I had a flashback to the original movie Dumb and Dumber.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 5

Derick is such a dorky doofus from Whothefuckknows,Nebraska that he just might think it was a turkey baster. That's all I can think it was, a baby nasal secretions sucker outer

myB-SxOtMCytFP4fqwBVbxg.jpg  

AKA 'Turkey Baster'

His brother doesn't look much brighter than Derick. That shot of them in the car together with the brother in the back seat wearing that quirky woolen hat with the side tassels and Derick driving, I had a flashback to the original movie Dumb and Dumber.

No, no, no... Derick had his Elmer Fudd hat on. Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit... It was the fundie version of a Warner Bros cartoon. :>)

• Love 4
(edited)
a baby nasal secretions sucker outer

And HumblePi wins the Interwebz for the day ! You sound like me, childless-by-choice and happy as a clam, trying to buy a stroller for my sister's new baby. I asked for a "Rolling, baby-pusher thingy..." 

Yes, Wellfleet !!! Those hipster doofus knit caps with the vague "I'm from Brooklyn, baby..." have got to go !!! Especially in Arkansas.

Unless you're a Sherpa, lose the hat, dude. 

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't know if that's true about the midwife; a quick google showed nothing. But if it's not true, she should be all over this right now, because (if it's not true) it's serious, actionable defamation. So I guess we'll see what we see.

If you Google her name + license, you'll find some information, including on her own FB page. Her name is not listed among the currently licensed lay midwives in AR. In February, she posted: "A year ago, a very sick baby was in my hands. She gave me mixed signals, she looked me in the eye for the last time for another 3 weeks ... I made the best decisions I could; I fought for a mother's right to birth where she wanted, I fought for my right to make the call...The journey that came afterward was excruciating and has, honestly, left me scarred. The year seemed so dark and lonely -- only to leave me feeling betrayed."

The "I fought for my right to make the call" is pretty f*cked up. It's not about her and her "rights"--it's about the baby who almost died. Is there anyone the Duggars associate with who isn't questionable?

Edited by graefin
  • Love 8

(Laughing) if you can actually learn to use a baby sling from reading the instructions, more power to you! Everyone I know figures it out by learning from an actual person (usually a midwife, as OBs don't have the time for this kind of stuff) or watching YouTube type videos. But that's just maybe the suburban moms I know! ;)

• Love 2