Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I wouldn't want to give 400 people free range of my house.  Perhaps the sheet is to keep small children off the staircase and sliding down the banister so they don't get hurt. But being that these are sex obsessed Duggars  who fear a male child would be defrauded by a diaper, what else would we think of their barriers?

I wouldn't either, especially considering the Duggars probably don't even know half the people who show up for these things. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

They just leave whatever kid has their head stuck in the rungs laying there. Perfect stair block and babysitter at the same time plus it amuses Michelle.

I must be an awful person because this made me howl with laughter.  

• Love 8
On 1/5/2017 at 8:45 PM, Almost 3000 said:

They just leave whatever kid has their head stuck in the rungs laying there. Perfect stair block and babysitter at the same time plus it amuses Michelle.

Mechelle could merely close her eyes, spin around a few times and point. There's your guard. I think all the Duggar spawn have melon heads, save Jill, who got the long face. 

On 1/6/2017 at 2:49 PM, Natalie68 said:

I must be an awful person because this made me howl with laughter.  

Me too!

On 1/4/2017 at 4:07 PM, abstractstuff said:

Is that kid on the ottoman really that serious?  She's not an infant. She's lying there, it's close to the floor. I'm not getting that at all. 

I also didn't think it was a huge deal. She may well have just plopped there for a minute while playing, and her parents are the ones whose legs are shown, or are just out of view.

On 12/6/2016 at 0:03 PM, Barb23 said:

I wonder how that worked using Marcus as a shield. There had to be cameras placed at different points in the church so I wonder how Josh knew to block himself at certain times.  I know certain parts were a given-  processional, recessional, seating of grandparents, etc. but it's not like he sat thru entire ceremony with Marcus in front of him.  I'm sure holding up a squirmy 3 yr old  wasn't the easiest. Not to mention having to answer Mack's numerous questions. Did he also have Mer or was she handed off to someone else? I'm not giving him a pass by any means, just want to know the logistics of how the Marcus shielding worked.

It's a good reminder that these televised events are much more staged than we realize. They slipped up when they showed the tape marks on the ground showing Jinger and Babe where to stand for the "surprise" proposal. But they do have to set up angles and tell people where to go ahead of time, so all they needed to do was figure out during the rehearsal exactly where Josh and the cameras would be, and when he'd need to use Marcus as a shield.

On 12/9/2016 at 8:34 PM, Marigold said:

I'm a mix of both.

On one hand, Josh is a mess because of his fucked up family.  However, Josh is the only one that has been involved in this type of behavior. To our knowledge, JD and the other brothers are all clean.  They all had the same family so that makes Josh the sicko all alone. Maybe Josh was born with mental problems? Maybe Josh would've been the same had he been raised in another home?  I don't know.  I do know that Josh got no help for any of his issues when he was a teen and that's a sad thing.  

On the other hand, Josh made horrible, horrible choices as a married adult. There is no excuse for that. None. 

I really hope that Josh is getting REAL counseling and not announcing that publicly.  Anna said church counseling and I'm sure that's true.  Maybe Josh has realized he is one fucked up bastard and is getting intense therapy?  My guess is that he is not but you always hope that there is a shred of sanity...maybe...

I'm a mix too. I tend to think that Josh has some problems that were worsened by the purity obsession. I'm not excusing him at all, but I know we all agree that Boob and  Michelle should have gotten him out of the home and into serious counseling immediately. No, I don't think he did then or is now. Their idea of Christian counseling isn't based on any kind of degree in human psychology or behavior. It's bible verses on repeat, with a heavy mix of guilt and repentance.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, CarolMK said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Anna is pregnant? Though I guess, my question should really be, how is it possible that she isn't pregnant by now?

Maybe she's joyfully unavailable?

• Love 7

Maybe they've grown up enough after all this to realize that it's hard enough to raise 4 kids with no job and an unhappy marriage, the last thing they need is another baby.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Maybe they've grown up enough after all this to realize that it's hard enough to raise 4 kids with no job and an unhappy marriage, the last thing they need is another baby.

One could only hope that this is the case.  It would indeed be progress for them.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

No way could I ever be joyfully available for THAT even if he was the last man on earth...ain't happening...

Brain bleach time! But we know Anna welcomed him with open arms, and, well, everything!

11 hours ago, Nysha said:

It does make you wonder, considering Anna's fertility so far. Although we know she's had at least one miscarriage, so that could have happened. Giving up the Quiverfull views would be a wrench for Anna, but she'd do it if her headship decreed it and she knew it was the only hope of saving the marriage. So, maybe Smugs did indeed have that vasectomy we have talked about while away from Boob's prying eyes!

• Love 1

I am all for folks having independent thoughts, but this is one of the areas where organized religion has me confused. Either they believe in Gothard and his shtick or they don't.

I guess it is a me thing - I can't seem to get beyond black & white thinking when it comes to labeling oneself. I'm thankful I could register to vote as an Independent because I find it difficult to label myself as a believer of anything that is so vast.

It is curious that Anna is not noticeably pregnant by now.  I hope they remain a family of 6.

• Love 3

I think, like a lot of people, they pick and choose what Gothard rules they want to follow. 

I really hope that Josh has figured out he's never going to get back his #1 son status or be on TLC again, so he needs to figure out a career/skills he can use to support his family somewhere where he doesn't have to hide behind his toddler son.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I am all for folks having independent thoughts, but this is one of the areas where organized religion has me confused. Either they believe in Gothard and his shtick or they don't.

I've found religion is seldom that cut and dried for people.  For one thing, many people don't intend or want to study it too deeply.  They find a church where they feel "at home" and they stay there.  Many don't bother with the "trivia" of every bit of theology.  They like the choir and the sermons are tolerable and it has things the kids like and they are happy.  I think Jill is a candidate for this one.

Then you have people and I think many of the Duggars are more this way where they more or less try to study some of the basic theology, but they aren't very good students.  So they remember selectively or sometimes consciously go well I don't really agree with a and b, but overall this is OK so we'll stay with it.  They retain a top level view and some second tier portions, but that's as deep as their knowledge and understanding go.  They have only bits here and there of anything deeper and may not remember the top level stuff accurately after a few years.

Then you have members who do understand and may knowingly pick and choose among beliefs while knowing that they don't agree with everything but think it's the best match they're going to get.  I think Jeremy is likely in this group and Ben may be attempting to edge in there. 

Finally you have the people who study and comprehend and agree to, believe, or choose to follow almost all the beliefs and practices.  I don't think we have any Duggars in this group. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I've found religion is seldom that cut and dried for people.  For one thing, many people don't intend or want to study it too deeply.  They find a church where they feel "at home" and they stay there.  Many don't bother with the "trivia" of every bit of theology.  They like the choir and the sermons are tolerable and it has things the kids like and they are happy.  I think Jill is a candidate for this one.

Then you have people and I think many of the Duggars are more this way where they more or less try to study some of the basic theology, but they aren't very good students.  So they remember selectively or sometimes consciously go well I don't really agree with a and b, but overall this is OK so we'll stay with it.  They retain a top level view and some second tier portions, but that's as deep as their knowledge and understanding go.  They have only bits here and there of anything deeper and may not remember the top level stuff accurately after a few years.

Then you have members who do understand and may knowingly pick and choose among beliefs while knowing that they don't agree with everything but think it's the best match they're going to get.  I think Jeremy is likely in this group and Ben may be attempting to edge in there. 

Finally you have the people who study and comprehend and agree to, believe, or choose to follow almost all the beliefs and practices.  I don't think we have any Duggars in this group. 

This is where organized religion of all kinds lost me as a kid. If you don't study each one deeply, how do you know which religion is right for you?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Thank-you Absolom.

2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

This is where organized religion of all kinds lost me as a kid. If you don't study each one deeply, how do you know which religion is right for you?

I agree Dangerousminds, I too would have a hard time joining something I didn't know well for fear that they represented something I didn't agree with. Or joining something and cherry picking my beliefs. Even say Catholicism, I have plenty of Catholic friends who are pro life, use different methods of birth control and are LGBT friendly and I have a few friends who are gay & lesbian and still identify as Catholic. I find that curious and it would be hard for me to do. I'm not judging those who do and Absolom gave great explanations of different mindsets. Like I said it confuses me a bit and I understand it does not confuse all.

Many moons ago on an episode of Will & Grace, Will and Grace were supporting opposing mayorial (?) candidates. I believe one was either gay or pro gay rights and the other was a female. Will was supporting the LGBT dude and Grace was supporting the female. They had a fundraiser in their apartment where both candidates spoke. It turned out the both sucked. Will & Grace were shocked.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Same here...though I do rather enjoy studying religion on a semi-involved level. Basically, if any religion either sounds as though it actually makes sense, or is so out there as to really raise my hackles, I'll delve deeper into in it in hopes that either it will actually keep making some sort of sense or be so completely batshit crazy as to make for good snarking material. So far, the edge goes almost completely toward the crazy line of the spectrum with a few points granted to Buddhism for at least being somewhat intriguing on a couple of levels.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

I really hope that Josh has figured out he's never going to get back his #1 son status or be on TLC again, so he needs to figure out a career/skills he can use to support his family somewhere where he doesn't have to hide behind his toddler son.

I hope so too, but I would honestly be surprised if this were the case. I think the level of denial is too high and the sense of entitlement is too great. I think he confidently expects to return to TLC "when the time is right" and maybe he's even conceited enough to think that he can land another fancy job with an FRC-like organization. Remember, he doesn't think that any of this is his fault; it was good ol' Satan building a wall in his heart.

I'm sure that Jim Bob is furious with him for dragging the brand through the mud and is making his life miserable.  But JB is shrewd enough to realize that he can't control Josh without throwing him a few crumbs. He's probably using the carrot-and-stick approach - punishing and humiliating him most of the time, but keeping him off-balance by occasionally promising him that he'll be back on the show "maybe next season". That may be why JB was willing to take the risk of allowing Josh to appear in the occasional Instagram photo and to attend Jinger's wedding.

And Josh is still Michelle's first-born, probably the only one of her children she genuinely loves. I think she's always babied him and sheltered him from JB's harshness and she's probably encouraging him to think that all this will be over soon and they'll be back to normal.

• Love 11

Divorce rumors popping up about Anna yet again.    Wish it were true - would love to see her not only get out of that compound and away from Josh but to land with one of her more liberal siblings and find a better life.  Normally I'd feel bad to root for breaking up a marriage but I think we can all make an exception in this case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182440/Anna-Duggar-filing-divorce-husband-Josh.html

Edited by sigmaforce86
route is not the same as root!
39 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Anna hasn't told Josh.  Does anyone think by having a magazine article it will stay a secret?  I don't think this is real except they are terrified of a deposition.

It's a non-story. Anna may be visiting lawyer "within the next week or so" to discuss a divorce. They aren't claiming that she will, just that she might.

I believe they're all [JB, Michelle, Josh, and Anna] scared of depositions, and I don't feel sorry for any of them - including Anna.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3

Anna really portrayed herself well her last appearance. She seems to be a thoughtful and loving mother. She has ditched the woe is me, down-to-the-side look. Not saying she isn't feeling that, just that she isn't trying so hard to sell it for the audience. It makes me feel more sympathy for her and her children.

4 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Anna really portrayed herself well her last appearance. She seems to be a thoughtful and loving mother. She has ditched the woe is me, down-to-the-side look. Not saying she isn't feeling that, just that she isn't trying so hard to sell it for the audience. It makes me feel more sympathy for her and her children.

Considering what poor Anna went thru, I had no problem with the teary eyed talking heads.  She believes she has to stay married to this disgusting piece of offal ... because years or indoctrination...I'd look beaten down too if that was my life. 

She  looks happier, but it seems it's because she finds more fulfillment with her children than Smuggley .  Her kids follow her like ducklings following a mommy duck.

• Love 4

I have a theory that Pa Keller married Anna off to Josh to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak. PA Keller's ministry is with prisoners. Surely he believes in redemption. I think he married Anna off as proof of his belief in redemption. 

I don't think I really explained that well, but hopefully you get my point. 

• Love 7

Pa and Ma Keller creep me out more than anyone else in the clan. Ma, because she chose Pa. And Pa, well, he just oozes everything about a human being that creeps me out. I can't even handle watching him speak. I watched the wedding and the grape juice bull and just his affect, voice, look, everything. He reminds me of a certain type of person that when I see a mugshot of someone who looks like him on the news, 9 times out of 10, I know what they did. Shudders.

• Love 5

I still can't believe that Pa Keller is only 57. Ma Keller is actually a little older (59ish?). I only mention this because my husband is also 57, and he looks NOTHING like Pa Keller. And he even identifies as a Christian! No one would guess my husband's age correctly, as no one would guess Mike Keller's age correctly, but in his case, for the wrong reasons. 

I was thinking about the Kellers today, because Suze posted a pic of Noelle recognizing her 4th birthday. Then I thought about how the Kellers might think about Suze's life since she got pregnant out of wedlock and has lived with her boyfriend in sin for a few years. I think of the two sons trapped since Suze's break for freedom. Then I think of Anna, Prissy, and Esther and want to cry for them. The senior Kellers have ruined lives by selling these daughters due to their fathers who are snake oil salesmen or rabid Gothardites. Or both. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I have a theory that Pa Keller married Anna off to Josh to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak. PA Keller's ministry is with prisoners. Surely he believes in redemption. I think he married Anna off as proof of his belief in redemption. 

I don't think I really explained that well, but hopefully you get my point. 

You explained it perfectly.  Many people believe in redemption, as it is an article of faith, so I could see Pa Keller honestly believing that Josh was remorseful and had done his penance. He may not have ever again repeated what he did as a teenager, but Pa Keller didn't bargain for Josh to do what he did to Anna. It leads me to wonder how thoroughly Josh was vetted...was it simply "because Jesus", or did Jim Bob do a good enough PR job to convince Pa that Anna would be safe with Josh?

We've all made mistakes and have been thankful for second...third...chances to redeem ourselves personally, professionally, or to atone for criminal behavior.  

People with criminal records often reoffend because no one will hire them or rent them an apartment, and rationalize the return to prison to mean that they will at least get food and shelter there.  Anyone who used a gun to commit a crime  or a sex offender is going to have a tougher time than a petty thief. Usually prison ministries (if they have a lot of funding or partners) will connect people in their program to second chance opportunities or affordable housing to ease their transition back into society.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Extra thoughts
  • Love 4

Many prisons are offering more rehabilitation services rather than being solely punitive, because it can reduce recidivism. 

However prison has a similar effect on folks as do cults. After many years of 3 hots and a cot, never really paying a bill or changing a light bulb, many folks who are released from prison have a hard time just adjusting to life, even with support. Much like a Duggar or Keller might struggle. And Josh's father-in-law probably has a hard time recognizing the parallels to his kid's upbringing.

I agree with @Marshmallow Mollie and @Arwen Evenstar that Pa Keller did think he was marrying Anna off to a man who had repented and was living a Christian life, and was probably as surprised as Anna when Josh went rogue. I wonder how the Kellers feel about Josh now and if it's awkward when he's around.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

However prison has a similar effect on folks as do cults. After many years of 3 hots and a cot, never really paying a bill or changing a light bulb, many folks who are released from prison have a hard time just adjusting to life, even with support. Much like a Duggar or Keller might struggle. And Josh's father-in-law probably has a hard time recognizing the parallels to his kid's upbringing.

You make a really excellent point. This just occurred to me that the Duggar compound isn't much different from prison..except they open the gate and the kids come back

17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

You make a really excellent point. This just occurred to me that the Duggar compound isn't much different from prison..except they open the gate and the kids come back

• Love 3
2 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

So according to an article I read Josh goes to court on Feb.7.  Is that correct?  Will this be an open court session?  Should be interesting.  I hope Anna divorces him!

What is he going to court for? is he being sued again? Thanks.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I THINK:

The guy, whose picture Josh lifted off of FB, is suing. 

Thank you.   I wonder if we will hear anything about the outcome.

• Love 1

Okay, I nabbed this story from Pickles, but does Joshley have a new hobby we don't know about? You be the judge:

https://m.facebook.com/SpringdalePD/photos/a.103470293162686.6584.103350903174625/729274773915565/?type=3&source=48

Pickles says no because the guy is too heavy, but I disagree. Josh can pack on weight faster than a hog getting ready for market. The hairline, man boobs and shiny forehead are a perfect match.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Okay, I nabbed this story from Pickles, but does Joshley have a new hobby we don't know about? You be the judge:

https://m.facebook.com/SpringdalePD/photos/a.103470293162686.6584.103350903174625/729274773915565/?type=3&source=48

Pickles says no because the guy is too heavy, but I disagree. Josh can pack on weight faster than a hog getting ready for market. The hairline, man boobs and shiny forehead are a perfect match.

This guy has a ski parka on, which can give people a more "fluffy" appearance. It does look like Joshley 

• Love 1

That silly bitch knows diddly squat. I'll eat my hat if that's not him. He's from a small place, little risk of having your identical twin there.

I'd be delighted if it were him tbh - not because I even ill wish him, but because that is something they cannot sweep under the rug. And it will blacken the Duggar name further.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That's Josh.

1 Josh.png

1 Josh Duggar.jpg

• Love 3