Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I thought the Victoria Secret store backdrop was hilarious!

And I'll be the first to say that DC eats up and spits out people with top notch credentials every day. I've lived here nearly 20 years and we had two times where we thought the city had "beaten" us and you can't have credentials more impeccable than my husband's and I'm pretty well connected.

So I think Josh is right to worry. The job he's in won't last forever and he needs to be planning his next move (classic DC thinking) and he's at a disadvantage. He needs to mitigate that disadvantage somehow - with some education and some connections. I completely get why he's exhausted.

• Love 4

That's so funny about the Victoria Secrets store. I'm sure it was brought up when we were snarking on that episode, but I don't remember it. I'm hoping the J'slaves can visit there (or another location) when they're in town.

On Friday, Smuggar filled in for Tony Perkins on the FRC podcast (M-F 5pm EST). He's done the radio gig before, and always had softball interviews/topics. Friday was no different: he interviewed his PARENTS! 

They talked about the "mission" vacation, but showing his inexperience, kept bringing the topic back to FOOD. He kept mentioning that he couldn't wait to get home to AR so he could EAT, and said (direct quote): "Any gift of food is a good gift." He couldn't even control his own show with FRC-friendly topics while interviewing his own parents! It was painful listening, and I only lasted about 10 minutes. 

I agree that the largest part of his job is schmoozing with the Tea Party elite, raising money and awareness for these candidates amongst the religious fundamentalists. He was also hired to "get out the vote" in his own generation of young adults. I haven't seen statistics from the November mid-term elections in the Bible Belt (where he concentrated his efforts), so I don't know how successful he was. Bottom line, most of their candidates won this time around, so his job is probably safe through 2016. 

• Love 1

On Friday, Smuggar filled in for Tony Perkins on the FRC podcast (M-F 5pm EST). He's done the radio gig before, and always had softball interviews/topics. Friday was no different: he interviewed his PARENTS! 

They talked about the "mission" vacation, but showing his inexperience, kept bringing the topic back to FOOD. He kept mentioning that he couldn't wait to get home to AR so he could EAT, and said (direct quote): "Any gift of food is a good gift." He couldn't even control his own show with FRC-friendly topics while interviewing his own parents! It was painful listening, and I only lasted about 10 minutes. 

I agree that the largest part of his job is schmoozing with the Tea Party elite, raising money and awareness for these candidates amongst the religious fundamentalists. He was also hired to "get out the vote" in his own generation of young adults. I haven't seen statistics from the November mid-term elections in the Bible Belt (where he concentrated his efforts), so I don't know how successful he was. Bottom line, most of their candidates won this time around, so his job is probably safe through 2016. 

No kidding, that is really pathetic about the radio interview. Also - I've meant to ask this for quite a while.  This "consulting" business that Josh supposedly started in his teens, I think. I'm very vague on it since I've only seen a few references to it.  A - Is still a going concern? Does he still have it/do it or did it go by the wayside during the car lot years? B - if still going, just exactly what would I be doing that would make consulting Josh possibly of value to me?  Thanks.

Edited by NausetGirl

He used to have a website for the "consulting" gig. I don't think much ever came of it. The last I heard, the site hadn't been updated in years. I'm still not clear what he was supposed to be doing in this venture. At any rate, nothing ever came of it; we never heard about it. Had he been successful, he would have mentioned it at SOME time during the years they've been filming pretty much round the clock. 

He used to have a website for the "consulting" gig. I don't think much ever came of it. The last I heard, the site hadn't been updated in years. I'm still not clear what he was supposed to be doing in this venture. At any rate, nothing ever came of it; we never heard about it. Had he been successful, he would have mentioned it at SOME time during the years they've been filming pretty much round the clock. 

Found this: Josh was intrigued with politics at an early age and in 2006 he founded a part-time consulting firm for elected officials and political candidates, Strategic Political Services. http://ja20.com/ourstory/

"Part-time" seems odd for a consulting firm.

• Love 1

Everyone in DC has a part-time "consulting" business at one time or another. It's called volunteering, or (shudder) unemployment, but we can't just come out and SAY that! ;)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

Being a true Christian means that you have faced temptation and on your own you make the decision to resist. 

Actually, being a true Christian means only the you've repented of your sins and have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Edited by duggarfan
  • Love 3

Did any of you use to play house as a kid? That's what's think of when I watch the Duggar kids. The only problem is the "kids" are adults now trying to play house. They think they know what they're doing but without real world experiences they still end up looking childishly Pollyanna. You don't want to burst their bubble but you're afraid of watching the train wreck. I grow up a military brat and lived in different countries and states. My father was also career military during the Vietnam years, during the years that the Army was the bad guys. I was able to experience through the eyes of other cultures and people the reasons I shouldn't grow up like my parents. I had years to contemplate the duality of the life my parents believed in and how other people experienced life . These kids see the world through a very narrow prism and they have a difficult time relating to people who have a different experience and most people have a different experience.

• Love 3

Found this: Josh was intrigued with politics at an early age and in 2006 he founded a part-time consulting firm for elected officials and political candidates, Strategic Political Services. http://ja20.com/ourstory/

"Part-time" seems odd for a consulting firm.

Ah, political consulting. I was wondering what the heck his "field" was. I know there are some very bright, enterprising teenagers with real expertise out there, enough expertise to legitimately be consultants in various areas.  I even tease my nephew that he's my IT staff because he's always helping me with my Mac, iPod etc - LOL. But I could not figure out what it was that teenage Josh Duggar knew so much about that he was hiring out as a consultant.  And I still can't.  I guess this means he considers following Daddy around in Little Rock for two years - or however long - has earned him this "expertise?" Oy.

Political consulting at the age of 18 is just laughable, regardless of your background or name. Even John Kennedy Jr. had to get an education and law degree before he could be taken very seriously... and that's a real political name. Politics is not a career where you can ignore your age. Even the brightest 18 year old will not be looked at twice. As an intern - yes. Gopher - yes. Canvaser - yes. Consultant... nope. Think about it. At 18 it's likely you've never even voted before. 

I am not knocking young people. If you are looking for a personal trainer I guarantee my 15 year old is just as good as any adult out there. There are tons of examples of things teens and young adults can do equally well as adults. Political consulting isn't one of those things.  As a resume filler, political consulting might work ok for a 30 year old since someone might look at that resume and think the person actually did political consulting. On an 18 year old's resume it looks like a big, fat lie. Of course now he has a real job to put on his resume. I think his bigger problem will be that when he needs that resume down the road there is unlikely to be another niche job like this for him. 

I kind of feel sorry for him. Sure he's an adult and is responsible for his decisions. Lots of people have had little to no support or help at home, work hard, and achieve their goals even though it's a big struggle. But he was woefully unprepared to even realize he was unprepared. He followed what his parents told him and showed him expecting it to be right. Most of us as we are going up expect that our parents are right at least about the big stuff.  Fortunately for most of us when we figure out that maybe our parents don't know everything we are still in school or have a job and realize maybe we want to be in school or want a different job. Whatever we discover we still have options because we are young and independent. Maybe married but still with many options. He has an stay-at-home wife and 4 kids. His road is going to be difficult. 

• Love 4

He was/is delusional.

That's the thing though... we are all a little delusional at 18. That's why we have parents - to guide in decisions, help develop goals and a plan, help understand what we need to do to reach our goals, basically to help bring realism into our delusions. But Josh didn't have any of that. If anything they created and feed his delusions first by sheltering him and then by actively telling him he didn't need any experience, education, critical thinking skills etc. They chose to protect their own warped beliefs over helping their son become an independent man with options and choices. Now what we see is the non-delusional Josh (or at least much less delusional) who is crumbling under the weight of reality.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 7

I would suspect the "consulting" was nothing more than possibly a conversation or two, while Boob still had a hat in whatever ring it was in (I forget), and had voiced an all-but-rhetorical question about something. Josh might have said, "I suppose you could do thus-and such", Boob might have said, "hmm, that could be one idea", and bingo! A political consultant is born!

• Love 1

According to Jim Bob, all of his kids are political experts because they have worked on political campaigns. Josh was taught to believe this line of bs, and he may be finding out the hard way that Duggar Land and the real world are two completely different things.

Political consulting at the age of 18 is just laughable, regardless of your background or name. Even John Kennedy Jr. had to get an education and law degree before he could be taken very seriously... and that's a real political name. Politics is not a career where you can ignore your age. Even the brightest 18 year old will not be looked at twice. As an intern - yes. Gopher - yes. Canvaser - yes. Consultant... nope. Think about it. At 18 it's likely you've never even voted before. 

I am not knocking young people. If you are looking for a personal trainer I guarantee my 15 year old is just as good as any adult out there. There are tons of examples of things teens and young adults can do equally well as adults. Political consulting isn't one of those things.  As a resume filler, political consulting might work ok for a 30 year old since someone might look at that resume and think the person actually did political consulting. On an 18 year old's resume it looks like a big, fat lie. Of course now he has a real job to put on his resume. I think his bigger problem will be that when he needs that resume down the road there is unlikely to be another niche job like this for him. 

I kind of feel sorry for him. Sure he's an adult and is responsible for his decisions. Lots of people have had little to no support or help at home, work hard, and achieve their goals even though it's a big struggle. But he was woefully unprepared to even realize he was unprepared. He followed what his parents told him and showed him expecting it to be right. Most of us as we are going up expect that our parents are right at least about the big stuff.  Fortunately for most of us when we figure out that maybe our parents don't know everything we are still in school or have a job and realize maybe we want to be in school or want a different job. Whatever we discover we still have options because we are young and independent. Maybe married but still with many options. He has an stay-at-home wife and 4 kids. His road is going to be difficult. 

3girlsforus - you have hit the nail on the head.  "But he was woefully unprepared to even realize he was unprepared..." This is the tragedy of the Duggar kids for me.  They don't even know what they don't know.  And not only that, they think they're better off than everyone else.  PS - something tells me the realization is hitting Josh now though, and the impact is affecting him physically.  Because this 26-year old could easily be mistaken for 35 or 40.

He was/is delusional.

With delusional parents. I'm sure the whole consulting deal began as a light bulb in the dark closet that is Boob's mind...

• Love 5

According to Jim Bob, all of his kids are political experts because they have worked on political campaigns. 

Sadly, this is probably true. What I wouldn't give for a real look inside the so-called mind of JimBob Duggar.  Using his brand of twisted logic, the kids must be weather experts too because they've all been rained on from time to time. Good grief...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

While I think some of it was acting for the cameras, I still don't think JB and Michelle wanted Josh to take the job in DC. Because it made their lives harder and his life harder to control.

And everyone can say what you want about he and Anna not being on the same page (and how many marriages are, especially young marriages in the early years?) but she backed him 100% on that decision and I loved how excited HER family was for the chance.

That would have required a lot of talking and listening and being open with each other. They need to do more of that if they want to stay.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 5

Imo, Josh is still being control by Jim Bob and Michelle because he parrots what they have taught him at a young age. I may not agree 100% with his political and religious beliefs (or should I say his parent's beliefs,) but I might be a little impress if he came out with his own thoughts and not blindly join his parents and the Gothard bandwagon. 

In the case of his in-laws, they probably thought they hit the jackpot when it comes to one of their daughters marrying into the Duggar royality.

While I think some of it was acting for the cameras, I still don't think JB and Michelle wanted Josh to take the job in DC. Because it made their lives harder and his life harder to control.

And everyone can say what you want about he and Anna not being on the same page (and how many marriages are, especially young marriages in the early years?) but she backed him 100% on that decision and I loved how excited HER family was for the chance.

That would have required a lot of talking and listening and being open with each other. They need to do more of that if they want to stay.

Agree. The vibe I got personally was that Anna was 100% behind the move. Boob & Mechelle, on the other hand, definitely not. And apparently Boob couldn't think fast enough to come up with a way to keep Josh in Arkansas by any other means. The tears we saw when the stink bus was loading up to leave DC after Josh's move were real. One of the few times emotion from either Duggar parent registered as sincere - to me at least.

• Love 2

I agree with this. However, I do think having the discussion to move to DC is significantly different than having a 'how many kids' discussion, at least for this family. If Josh is questioning his desire to have any more children and considering controlling conception in some way like has been speculated, he could look at that as akin to saying he isn't sure he believes in God anymore. Quiverful is so fundamental to who they are and is so wrapped up in what his parents want him to be. Is this is indeed what he is thinking it has to feel almost like a betrayal. 

I agree too. I'm sure moving to DC required a lot of discussion between them. It had to be hard when the Kellers were all for it & the Duggars weren't as enthused. Even to the point of Boob reminding them all the way to DC that they could turn around & head back to Arkansas. Even tho I hope it was a mutual decision (Anna did seem way on board for the move) would they still have moved if she said she didn't want to? Would Josh have said, "I don't care what you think, we're moving" since he is head of household & his word goes? I hope they have a more 50/50 (or close to it) marriage when it comes to major decisions.

Please do not equate Tea Party members with the FRC.  SOME may lean that way, but most do not.  I support Tea Party ideals but not the FRC.   Many Tea Partiers are Libertarians.  Generalizations are dangerous.  Josh is really a light weight in the DC scene.  I agree that he must absolutely get some education and begin to think about his future.  And he does look pretty haggard.  I sort of feel sorry for him.  Not his fault the way he was raised.  It must be difficult to try to adapt to the real world. 

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2

Josh's job is actually bringing in people and funds who either don't vote (many of these subcultures don't vote at all) or they vote and support odd political parties such as the Constitution Party. Many feel that even the Republican and Libertarian parties are too secular and corrupt for them. Josh was hired to help bridge that gap.

Josh's job is actually bringing in people and funds who either don't vote (many of these subcultures don't vote at all) or they vote and support odd political parties such as the Constitution Party. Many feel that even the Republican and Libertarian parties are too secular and corrupt for them. Josh was hired to help bridge that gap.

Just wondering. How valuable is Josh if he's "bringing in" people who don't vote? Does this mean FRC is happy just to be taking their money??  Nice...

Keep in mind that a lot of elections are decided by incredibly small numbers of people.  Josh isn't there to win presidential elections (although let's keep in mind 2000...)  He's there to win state elections.  He doesn't have to bring in huge numbers -- just a few hundred in some cases who either start voting Republican for the first time or don't vote for a third party and vote Republican can make a big difference in a Senate or House race, let alone state house/senate races which often come down to votes so small they do recounts.

Keep in mind that a lot of elections are decided by incredibly small numbers of people.  Josh isn't there to win presidential elections (although let's keep in mind 2000...)  He's there to win state elections.  He doesn't have to bring in huge numbers -- just a few hundred in some cases who either start voting Republican for the first time or don't vote for a third party and vote Republican can make a big difference in a Senate or House race, let alone state house/senate races which often come down to votes so small they do recounts.

I understand all you're saying here.  But I still don't understand how it can help if Josh ISN'T bringing in votes.. or if he ISN'T bring people over to "the FRC side...  Changes are made by those who show up.  How is he accountable to FRC?

YES to everything in GEML's post above. We just had a state senate vote here in SW Michigan that was decided by 57 votes after a recount. Now we're not really the epicenter of anything that Josh would ever be targeting, but THOSE are the races that Josh could make a difference in working for the FRC. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if part of his job involved identifying close races, calling up the contacts he has through ATI and so on, talking up the conservative candidate, and hey, 57 votes - that's like 6-8 families if enough kids are voting age in that demographic...

I absolutely think it's untrue to say that Josh has no skills, or no value to the FRC. His skills and value just aren't what most people here consider to be skills or value.

Also, this may have been discussed here or elsewhere before, but I actually went to the FRC's website to see if I could suss out a little more about what Josh does, and I didn't realize that he's actually the executive director of FRC *Action*, a sub-group as it were of the FRC (in their words "the non-profit and tax-exempt legislative action arm of Family Research Council", whatever that means). His name isn't anywhere on the regular FRC's site, except in their Twitter feed. I had to poke around for awhile before I found FRC Action's website. I still wasn't able to get much about what he might do.

• Love 1

I understand all you're saying here.  But I still don't understand how it can help if Josh ISN'T bringing in votes.. or if he ISN'T bring people over to "the FRC side...  Changes are made by those who show up.  How is he accountable to FRC?

Is it ever stated anywhere that he's not bringing in votes? I don't recall seeing anything here, at least (I pay a marginal amount of attention to them outside of here). Midterm elections were favorable on the Republican side. Who knows if any of that can be attributed to anything in particular, but for all we know, maybe Josh did make some successful phone calls.

I just don't know how much point there is in trying to evaluate how essential or non-essential Josh's FRC job is. I mean, my husband has a good white-collar desk job at our local public school system, but I wouldn't call his job essential to the success of the IT dept there. How many of us can say that our jobs are 100% irreplaceable, indispensable, or whatever. Considering how many jobs in the last 10 years or so have just sort of been absorbed by co-workers rather than hiring a replacement, I'd say not too many of us are "essential". The FRC obviously sees value to having Josh on staff, and I doubt they're going to pay a pile of money to someone for doing nothing, so I think it's reasonable to assume that he is providing value while working there.

ETA to mods: I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post and include a quote in there (My apologies if it's something really easy and I missed it), so I hope it's okay that I have two posts in a row.

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 2

Is it ever stated anywhere that he's not bringing in votes? I don't recall seeing anything here, at least (I pay a marginal amount of attention to them outside of here). Midterm elections were favorable on the Republican side. Who knows if any of that can be attributed to anything in particular, but for all we know, maybe Josh did make some successful phone calls.

I just don't know how much point there is in trying to evaluate how essential or non-essential Josh's FRC job is. I mean, my husband has a good white-collar desk job at our local public school system, but I wouldn't call his job essential to the success of the IT dept there. How many of us can say that our jobs are 100% irreplaceable, indispensable, or whatever. Considering how many jobs in the last 10 years or so have just sort of been absorbed by co-workers rather than hiring a replacement, I'd say not too many of us are "essential". The FRC obviously sees value to having Josh on staff, and I doubt they're going to pay a pile of money to someone for doing nothing, so I think it's reasonable to assume that he is providing value while working there.

ETA to mods: I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post and include a quote in there (My apologies if it's something really easy and I missed it), so I hope it's okay that I have two posts in a row.

My error - and many apologies.  I misread a line in GEML's post.  "He's there to win state elections..."  as "He's NOT there to win state elections..."  I'll chalk this up to missing my coffee today - lines at Starbucks were too long to wait in.  Merry Christmas!

GEML how do you know this is why he was hired?  Did he say it someplace or did FRC put out some sort of notification? Thanks!

• Love 3

Josh being in the "political arm" of the FRC, and observing his activity during elections makes pretty clear the meat of his job. He's there to suss out votes that may not have been there in the past. A lot of fundies don't vote Republican, preferring far-right candidates like those of the Constitution Party. Tea Partiers who align with the Republicans are Josh's bread and butter; he's at the FRC to get this vote turned out, especially amongst young people (I remember his specifically saying this when he first started). 

• Love 4

I don't have any insider knowledge as to why Josh was hired, but given his job title, what his specific branch does, the fact that I'm also a political activist and I've lived in the DC area for almost 20 years I'm making an educated guess.

Put it this way, if they are NOT using him to do this, they are wasting a potentially valuable resource! :)

• Love 4

It bugs me when people say that Josh and Anna are pregnant.  Is  Smuggar gonna push a baby out of his ass? Anna is pregnant. 

Yeah I agree.  Just my rather old fashioned opinion, but most young couples now use that terminology.  "We're pregnant."  Heck no!  She's pregnant but the both of you are expecting a baby.  Again, just my opinion.

• Love 2

So I think Josh is right to worry. The job he's in won't last forever and he needs to be planning his next move (classic DC thinking) and he's at a disadvantage. He needs to mitigate that disadvantage somehow - with some education and some connections. I completely get why he's exhausted.

I feel sorry for Josh and his family because he is the expected breadwinner, and I get the feeling that he has never been that 'bright'. I don't know how well he will do in an education setting.

• Love 2

I feel sorry for Josh and his family because he is the expected breadwinner, and I get the feeling that he has never been that 'bright'. I don't know how well he will do in an education setting.

Agree - I wonder how Josh would manage in a traditional educational setting as well. Having been homeschooled in such an undisciplined, half-baked way - Josh hasn't really "learned how to learn."  He would face a serious learning curve there, and that's BEFORE he gets started on all the content that would be unfamiliar to him.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

Does anyone else notice that when Anna and Josh are being filmed together, she looks at him as though the sun rises and sets with him. Absolute adoration is in her eyes. That's pretty impressive (or is it?) after 3 kids and 6 years of marriage.

• Love 2

Does anyone else notice that when Anna and Josh are being filmed together, she looks at him as though the sun rises and sets with him. Absolute adoration is in her eyes. That's pretty impressive (or is it?) after 3 kids and 6 years of marriage.

Yep, we've noticed.  But it's not impressive in their culture - it's trained into females from birth.  For Anna, it would be impressive if she didn't gaze adoringly at Josh.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 9

Agree - I wonder how Josh would manage in a traditional educational setting as well. Having been homeschooled in such an undisciplined, half-baked way - Josh hasn't really "learned how to learn."  He would face a serious learning curve there, and that's BEFORE he gets started on all the content that would be unfamiliar to him.

As far as we know, he has never even sat or been taught in a classroom setting or been with other students that aren't siblings.

• Love 2

On a different note -- watching the Christmas video that the Duggars posted which was narrated by Josh, he looked a lot better than he's been looking lately. Could still stand to lose a few pounds -- but didn't look as pale or exhausted and acted like his usual self. I wonder if he is really so stressed in DC and with his job that being "home" makes him feel better or normal again. It's possible -- I mean it's the only life he knew for 2+ decades and now he's been thrust into the big city; it's something he wanted but it's still hard when it happens.

On a different note -- watching the Christmas video that the Duggars posted which was narrated by Josh, he looked a lot better than he's been looking lately. Could still stand to lose a few pounds -- but didn't look as pale or exhausted and acted like his usual self. I wonder if he is really so stressed in DC and with his job that being "home" makes him feel better or normal again. It's possible -- I mean it's the only life he knew for 2+ decades and now he's been thrust into the big city; it's something he wanted but it's still hard when it happens.

Oh gee - I thought he looked exactly the same. Pasty, chalky complexion. Circles under eyes. More overweight than last I saw him.

• Love 2

Michelle is ALWAYS staring at Jim Boob like this when he speaks, Priscilla does the same with TFDW and so does Kelly Bates. Seems like it's another way to say "we are soooooo in love! Look at how I can't stop worshipping him!"

• Love 3

There is a fundie church near me and they even have classes for engaged women and married women teaching them how to adore and "respect" their husbands.  I'm sure in the ATI families it's passed down mother to daughters.

• Love 1

There is a fundie church near me and they even have classes for engaged women and married women teaching them how to adore and "respect" their husbands. I'm sure in the ATI families it's passed down mother to daughters.

What about husbands adore their wives

• Love 1