Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Interesting, but I would like to see the proof that HE purchased that property. The Zillow listing just says it was sold in January. And since when does Josh have that kind of cash laying around? 

If you go here: http://www.arcountydata.com, click on Benton county on the right, and then do a search for "Duggar," the property record for that address is in Josh and Anna's name.

• Love 1

I saw the episode recently when they were looking at houses in DC before moving. Did they really think they could afford a house in the actual city of DC? I'm sure some of it was for TV, but they really are Country Bumpkins when it comes to anything in the real world, outside of Duggarland. (No offense to real County Bumpkins out there.)

That does seem like a low price for the house when it was originally listed at $134,000 in Jan 2014. I guess after a year on the market, the sellers might have been glad to have any offer on it. Hopefully, it is a Smuggars only purchase but somehow I see Boob's or the Duggar Company being involved.

• Love 2

Didn't Jill take her pregnancy at her mother and sisters' at the TTH? Is pissing on a stick a bonding activity for these women?

Yesssssssss they are purposing these "special" times together. 

Coming up with $55K probably wasn't the issue. JB and Michelle certainly have it. Josh and Anna aren't poor, but that doesn't mean they could live comfortably day in, day out in DC. The average household income in that area is easily 100K. I doubt that Josh was making that. Even with the money from the show, that's a really tight budget to live on there. It's just an expensive place to live.

That does seem like a low price for the house when it was originally listed at $134,000 in Jan 2014. I guess after a year on the market, the sellers might have been glad to have any offer on it. Hopefully, it is a Smuggars only purchase but somehow I see Boob's or the Duggar Company being involved.

Foreclosure.

I'm sure Boob found that property for them to buy. He is pretty savvy when it comes to buying real estate.

Man I wish houses were that cheap in my area. Across the street a house sold for $145,000 (complete brick home). The day it closed the dumper arrived. It was gutted that very day then the rest of the week a second floor was put up. Depending on what goes inside that house can be resold for $350-$400,000. And $145,000 is amazingly cheap for my area. Hell for $55,000 you can't even buy a rock to sit on a property in my hood.

• Love 3

I'm sure Boob found that property for them to buy. He is pretty savvy when it comes to buying real estate.

Man I wish houses were that cheap in my area. Across the street a house sold for $145,000 (complete brick home). The day it closed the dumper arrived. It was gutted that very day then the rest of the week a second floor was put up. Depending on what goes inside that house can be resold for $350-$400,000. And $145,000 is amazingly cheap for my area. Hell for $55,000 you can't even buy a rock to sit on a property in my hood.

And DC is way more expensive than almost anywhere. I can't imagine being able to buy a house for $145,000 let alone $55,000. Lots around here, without a house, go for $400k and up. It's insane.

I watched an MTV show called Engaged and Underage, and this nineteen-year-old couple in rural Missouri bought a home for $64,000. I was so awed that I still remember the price 10 years later. When I first heard Smugs bought a home, I thought wow, are they making that much money to afford a second home? But seeing the price....I get it now.

• Love 1

$55,000 for a five bedroom, 2900 square foot home? Must have been a foreclosure, which come "as is," so it may need work and updating. It says on the bottom of the listing, that similar homes in that area usually go for $178,000. It could be like the house that Derick and JillyMuffin live in now. JB got it cheap because it was a real shithole when he bought it. 

Pickles has picures from a website of the interior. Needs paint, carpet, appliances, etc. But still a good deal. You can buy houses in the Detroit area that need makor rehab for $500, so this kind of thing is common. Even if Josh cleans up (similar to the mold house) and slumlords over the place, he'll make the money back in rent fairly quick, a few years.

• Love 1

It was a foreclosure that apparently needs a ton of work, so they wouldn't be moving anytime soon. I wonder if he had a contract situation at FRC that would be up in June? 

Interesting, but I would like to see the proof that HE purchased that property. The Zillow listing just says it was sold in January. And since when does Josh have that kind of cash laying around? 

At $55K I think it would HAVE to be a foreclosure. You'd need 6-7 times as much to begin looking at 5-bedroom homes in my area. I bet their idea is to get a home base for Josh & Company back home in AR - something they can slowly renovate and have ready in a few years when either he gets tired of FRC - or they get tired of him. Plus it provides a palatable excuse for Josh to come home every weekend. Maybe it even provides an income for Bin?

The house is right next to a pond. The kids need to be taught how to swim.

I'm sure Josh will teach his kids how to swim. The Duggars have often been shown swimming, so it is clearly an activity their family does.  And they need to be extra good swimmers since they wear jeans and long skirts while doing it :)

Can you get a mortgage on such a low priced property?

Josh almost certain could come up with $55K, and if he rehabs it, paying his siblings, he has either a decent rental or a decent home. I do imagine he plans to run for office, which will require an AR home. (He's certainly not going to win in MD or VA). So from his long term perspective, this is almost certainly a good idea.

• Love 1

And TLC used to have a show dedicated to that...

But I guess now they'll have enough Duggar births to tide everyone over.

Absolutely, stole my thoughts...

Yes TLC used to have a whole variety of shows called "A _____ Story" and they were on during the daytime.  There was a Wedding Story (my favorite), A Dating Story, etc. A Baby Story seemed to be the most popular (on more than the others) and ran the longest (it was still on when the others went off the air.) DHC (Discovery Health Channel) had a similar show called Birth Day. They introduced the couple and showed them giving birth. Most of TLC's other longevity shows have also featured babies or little kids (Jon & Cate, The Little Couple, Cake Boss, Sister Wives, etc.)  I agree a lot of the Duggar pull with the network is there is always going to be somebody pregnant or someone with a baby.

Edited by Temperance

The house is right next to a pond. The kids need to be taught how to swim.

Absolutely, but I truly wonder if they will be. If by some miracle they are, I bet they get one lesson from a certified professional, and then Josh or Anna will take it from there. Seriously, these people are beyond belief.

Absolutely, stole my thoughts...

Yes TLC used to have a whole variety of shows called "A _____ Story" and they were on during the daytime.  There was a Wedding Story (my favorite), A Dating Story, etc. A Baby Story seemed to be the most popular (on more than the others) and ran the longest (it was still on when the others went off the air.) DHC (Discovery Health Channel) had a similar show called Birth Day. They introduced the couple and showed them giving birth. Most of TLC's other longevity shows have also featured babies or little kids (Jon & Cate, The Little Couple, Cake Boss, Sister Wives, etc.)  I agree a lot of the Duggar pull with the network is there is always going to be somebody pregnant or someone with a baby.

Sounds like Boob better start praying that TLC's management and overall "leaning" remains the same. Although he's kidding himself if he thinks it can go on indefinitely. Eventually new people, new ideas - or both - will come in. Even at TLC. And it will likely be the end of the line for "America's biggest family."

Sounds like Boob better start praying that TLC's management and overall "leaning" remains the same. Although he's kidding himself if he thinks it can go on indefinitely. Eventually new people, new ideas - or both - will come in. Even at TLC. And it will likely be the end of the line for "America's biggest family."

I am wondering what will finally break the camel's back. Seriously. With the avalanche of bad press this family has gotten over the past six months, what will it take for the network to pull the plug? I have my theories, but I'd be curious to hear some others.

Does Smuggar own the house in PG County or does he rent?

Pretty sure they rent. He mentioned that the landlord sent them a welcome plant on the episode when they first moved in.

Wouldn't it be mind blowing if the next baby's first name did not start with M?!

I would love it so much, but I doubt it. Anna would be afraid that #4 would feel left out, and I can see her theme being really important to her. My brother and I have the same first initial, and my mom considered ruling out his name because she didn't want to be "that mom." She got over it, and gave him the name she liked best. Then when she had my sister, she gave her a name that began with a different letter. So far, my sister has turned out alright.

Then again, it might be in Anna's best interest to give#4 a different letter, to give her another "reason" to have a #5

• Love 1

I saw the episode recently when they were looking at houses in DC before moving. Did they really think they could afford a house in the actual city of DC? I'm sure some of it was for TV, but they really are Country Bumpkins when it comes to anything in the real world, outside of Duggarland. (No offense to real County Bumpkins out there.)

I don't know - I gotta think Boob actually put up the $$. Another way to ensure his control of Joshie & his famiy whenever they come back to AR.

• Love 1

Wouldn't it be mind blowing if the next baby's first name did not start with M?!

I must admit, I've never understood the theory that a child will feel left out if (s)he had a name that started with a different initial. My husband and I both come from families with three children, and both of us have a first initial that's different from our siblings. I never felt left out, in fact I have been known to introduce myself as the "non-<initial> child".

• Love 4

They really haven't had bad publicity. Not in the way that really breaks through. Yeah, it makes an impression here, but let's admit it, this is a self-selected group of people who are more negative towards the Duggars than not. So far they really haven't done or been part of anything that is really that shocking to most Americans, or their infractions have been small enough that most people admit that if their lives were filmed they likely wouldn't look that great, either.

I think five years is a pretty good guess. By then they will be on the lives of the Howlers and the boys simply won't be as interesting as the girls.

• Love 1

I agree, I think JB put up the money for the foreclosure for Josh and they'll fix it up and either rent it out or let one of his married siblings stay there and charge them cheap rent until he and Anna are ready to occupy the house themselves. I don't see Josh & Anna moving back full-time to AR anytime soon though.

• Love 1

I am wondering what will finally break the camel's back. Seriously. With the avalanche of bad press this family has gotten over the past six months, what will it take for the network to pull the plug? I have my theories, but I'd be curious to hear some others.

What bad press have they gotten? I haven't heard anything.

Jessa's (IMO) offensive blathering all over social media. Boob and Mechelle's "showing" Bin and Jessa how to kiss. . . .

Yea but it's REALLY pushing it to try to compare that to the Boo-Boo mother letting her child hang out with a pedophile who already abused another one of her children. Every time there is a stupid comment or weird social media situation there are comments wondering why the Duggars are still on the air when they pulled off Boo-Boo. It's just not the same thing at all.

• Love 5

What bad press have they gotten? I haven't heard anything.

Exactly. None of their most recent gaffes have really made headlines in a big way. I'm talking Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo levels of bad publicity. People magazine, CNN, the trashy entertainment shows, worldwide trending topics on Twitter, etc. Once a scandal hits them in such a huge way that cannot be ignored, then TLC may consider cancellation. And even then, Duck Dynasty was only suspended for a few months (different network but you get the idea).

Edit: Oops, off-topic. To bring it back on topic, Anna's offensive black history month tweets SHOULD have gotten more attention than they did, IMO. They were ridiculous.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

Yea but it's REALLY pushing it to try to compare that to the Boo-Boo mother letting her child hang out with a pedophile who already abused another one of her children. Every time there is a stupid comment or weird social media situation there are comments wondering why the Duggars are still on the air when they pulled off Boo-Boo. It's just not the same thing at all.

No, the Duggars hung out with TWO sexual predators for Decades. Worse. We'll never know what happened at the sex cabin at journey to the heart.

• Love 10

Jim Bob and Michelle have plenty of money, but buying, maintains and paying taxes on a house in DC would but a dent big enough to make them wince - this is a man who doesn't want to pay for pizza. And he didn't want Josh to go, remember? But buy and fix up a nice home in AR? Maybe to make amends for giving them such a crummy, mold filled house the first time around? Maybe they'll come home now.

• Love 1

I don't think Josh or Anna wants to move back to AR. They're living the good life in DC and they seem very happy there. I think Anna gets out a lot more than we think. Mack and Michael are both very engaging. IMO they don't resemble children who are isolated and unsocialized. Being as far away from the TTH as possible is doing the whole family wonders, despite an ignorant Tweet now and then.

• Love 7

Is exceptional cheapness just a JimBob trait or a Gothard thing?

Both! I guess after paying Gothard thousands for all his stuff, you can't really afford a Little Caesar's run.

• Love 1

I think a lot of them are probably frugal by necessity, but with Boob I honestly think it's some kind of personality disorder. Even his adoring wife said he's so tight with money that he squeaks when he walks.

• Love 3

After 10 years of watching this show, I personally think Boob would qualify for the Olympic cheapskate team. He is beyond tight with HIS money, skilled at selling his old crap for a tax deduction - and shameless about asking for/getting freebies, discounts and "love offerings."

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

I doubt many Gothard followers have a lot of money and thus are "thrifty/cheap" depending on how you see it. We know how the Bates and Kellers live(d) and they are both high ranking in the subculture.

But it's also true that pushing that trait too far endangers your "witness" or "encouragement" because you look stingy and cheap instead of thrifty and wise. Jim Bob, in my opinion, has passed the point where he looks thrifty and looks "mean" in the oldest sense of that word. Part of the issue is that most of his children are grown, so there is no longer the same urgency there that there once was, and they wear mainstream clothes, makeup, straight teeth, have their nails done, etc. For all the skirts and long hair, these aren't people without means. And you can tell.

• Love 7

Exactly. None of their most recent gaffes have really made headlines in a big way. I'm talking Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo levels of bad publicity. People magazine, CNN, the trashy entertainment shows, worldwide trending topics on Twitter, etc.

Cat Gate got a lot of coverage. The only entertainment "news" venue that did not report on it was People.

The photo of unsupervised Josie feet from a loaded gun got a lot of press, too.

Edited by Missy Vixen

We'll never know what happened at the sex cabin at journey to the heart.

Exactly. Thus my concern for Jana, which I expressed in the Jana thread. I hate idle speculation about potentially horrible things, but her beaten-down demeanor concerns me and makes me wonder if she could have been one of Gothard's "chosen ones." And you know that if anything happened, Boob and MEchelle would blame her for dressing too immodestly or some such ridiculousness. 

I keep hoping she has her eye on someone in DC, and that perhaps the Smuggars are encouraging a relationship... 

• Love 2