Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

It's interesting to me that so many people (here and in the original article) are slamming Jessa for not paying it forward when in reality, we don't know if she did or not. And the truth is that if she had done so and stated that, then she would get slammed for boasting instead of paying it forward quietly. She can't win for losing. 

I didn't know about the pay it forward chain either. But I don't go to drive thrus and I'm not 20.

I've never heard of it, either. I don't frequent Starbucks because I don't like coffee at all. I do go every now and again for their lemon iced pound cake, but I digress. I've never heard of that pay-it-forward-chain in any establishment or in print.

*shrug*

• Love 3

Blessa bragging that she didn't pay "a single cent" was really the problem for me. She wanted people to know that she'd gotten off scot-free!

Yeah, that's what I thought. That, and the fact that the vibe she gave off in her post was, as usual, all about how God was teaching a special lesson through the Duggars. ... She couldn't leave it at "What a nice person was in front of us in the Starbuck's line this morning." But then that's what they always do.

• Love 7

“pay it forward” coffee chains, always strike me like finding out you're exchanging gift cards of equal value with your folks for winter holidays. Not saying they make me flail my fists in impotent rage or anything like that, but I agree, I’d rather see some central clearinghouse person gathering all the funds into a kitty to buy a homeless person some coffee, as presumably the people in-line at the store, have come already prepared with enough funds to buy the coffee.  

There was a really long famous one that got written up somewhere in the Nick Denton empire, possibly Gawker.

• Love 9

I don't know anything about these paying chains, and it's not what "pay it forward" means to me at all. To me, it means -- because someone was there for me in a turbulent adolescence where my mother and I could. not. communicate, I was happy to give my time and attention to the girl living next door to me fifteen years later, when her family had similar problems. I don't think even a random act of kindness needs to be paid forward instantly.

My point (and I do have one) is that Jessa may actually have thought, in accordance with her twisted world view, that she was paying it forward. Someone offered her a free coffee. She turned around and offered us all a lesson in salvation. In Jessa's mind, which do we think would be the more valuable gift? Now, I personally feel that little chit and her ignoramus spouse have no business setting themselves up as Wise Counselors , but that's not really the issue here. I do think she believed she offered something of value.

Incidentally, while I agree that her phrasing about not paying a dime was unfortunate, I'm not sure she meant it to sound quite that gloating. I think she just employs whatever turn of phrase she's heard used before. She may not be as attuned to nuance as we expect her to be, having had such a very limited range of people to converse with all her life. And sadly, her main role model for public speaking has been Jim Bob. I mean, she's an ass, but it's maybe worth remembering that these kids were raised as aliens.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 15

I don't know anything about these paying chains, and it's not what "pay it forward" means to me at all. To me, it means -- because someone was there for me in a turbulent adolescence where my mother and I could. not. communicate, I was happy to give my time and attention to the girl living next door to me fifteen years later, when her family had similar problems. I don't think even a random act of kindness needs to be paid forward instantly.

My point (and I do have one) is that Jessa may actually have thought, in accordance with her twisted world view, that she was paying it forward. Someone offered her a free coffee. She turned around and offered us all a lesson in salvation. In Jessa's mind, which do we think would be the more valuable gift? Now, I personally feel that little chit and her ignoramus spouse have no business setting themselves up as Wise Counselors , but that's not really the issue here. I do think she believed she offered something of value.

I totally get where you're coming from.  And this is probably fodder for either the 19 Things I Hate or Old Tyme Religion threads, but I'm of the opinion that the Jessa et. al. actually do believe this is a fantastic example of Christianity in action mainly because they don't do "hard" Christianity.  They've been inured to the hard aspects of faith.  They don't do temptation.  They don't do sacrifice.  They don't do service to others particularly well.  Even when they do missionary work, it's more like tourism.  

Or I could just be too harsh on her because she reminds me of the villains in both Saved and Drop Dead Gorgeous.

• Love 10

I think the snooty "drove off without paying a dime" comment is what did Jessa in on this one. It just reeks of ingratitude and entitlement like "ha ha my family is rich but this idiot just paid for my coffee, oh wells..." I think people are also fed up that this family continues to get shit handed to them regularly even though they put forth no effort and wouldn't spontaneously perform a random act of kindness for anyone else. It was just a cup of coffee, but it symbolizes so much more, if that makes any sense.

• Love 23

Incidentally, while I agree that her phrasing about not paying a dime was unfortunate, I'm not sure she meant it to sound quite that gloating. I think she just employs whatever turn of phrase she's heard used before. She may not be as attuned to nuance as we expect her to be, having had such a very limited range of people to converse with all her life. And sadly, her main role model for public speaking has been Jim Bob. I mean, she's an ass, but it's maybe worth remembering that these kids were raised as aliens.

It is clear they were raised as aliens, from the planet Smug. So much of what she communicates sounds gloating. 

• Love 6

The sad thing is, it seems to me as if she's trying. Think about it from the perspective of someone who doesn't consume secular media and doesn't grasp the thing paying it forward became for a while.* Without context, she may have thought all she was doing was pointing out that someone she didn't know did something christlike for her. IOW, Jessa Duggar told a story she wasn't the holiest person in. Someone gave her something not knowing she was Jessa Duggar, and maybe that touched her.

Of course, she really couldn't pay it forward (because that would have been a real life story about works instead of a parable about faith), for all we know they're getting paid to talk about Starbucks, and I don't know what two unemployed children with a nice big kitchen and the fancy keurig some stranger bought them are doing driving an SUV to Starbucks for coffee anyway. Still, for Jessa, this looks like effort.

*If I remember the great chain, it was broken by some libertarian jackass who actually travelled to be the one to break the chain for lulz. Whatever our philosophical takes on the chain (I'm torn myself) I think we can agree that while he was more or less inevitable - you put a punchbowl on the internet, it's going to end up with something floating in it - that guy sucks.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Wow. This pay it forward thing really took on a life of its own

It appears that Starbucks started the concept of the "chain".

But many moons ago it was a movie.

And then the mighty Oprah hijacked it.

It's not a particulary confusing concept except too many fingers have confused the idea. And, really, what's wrong with the quite simply said, Do unto others...? Or, What goes around... ?

• Love 7

I totally get where you're coming from. And this is probably fodder for either the 19 Things I Hate or Old Tyme Religion threads, but I'm of the opinion that the Jessa et. al. actually do believe this is a fantastic example of Christianity in action mainly because they don't do "hard" Christianity. They've been inured to the hard aspects of faith. They don't do temptation. They don't do sacrifice. They don't do service to others particularly well. Even when they do missionary work, it's more like tourism.

Or I could just be too harsh on her because she reminds me of the villains in both Saved and Drop Dead Gorgeous.

35bgw2v.gif
  • Love 7

Okay, I need some clarification on this pay it forward thing.  I was in the drive-thru at Chic-fil-a a couple of years ago and they said my meal had been paid by the people in front of me.  Well, that was very nice and I will likely never forget it.  But I honestly didn't think of doing it for the car behind me.  How do I know what they are buying and how much to give the cashier?  I just don't get how that works.

I have done good deeds for others, but I never said to them to do something good for someone else. It was just helping someone who needed it, no strings attached.

Ditto - It sounds like a cashier's worst nightmare to me, and I have been a cashier and it would confused the ever living crap out of me.  I would imagine if no one is behind you in line and the person in front of you paid and you wanted to help out the next person that came along then you would have to give cash for the next person, but what if you don't have cash?? Then you have to feel like the a-hole that "broke the chain". 

And then the poor cashier has to keep track of all this random change people are giving out for future orders. 

Now if there's a long line in the drive thru I understand they can pull up the next order so that you can pay for it. But otherwise it sounds like a clusterf*ck.

• Love 7

It's completely ridiculous. imho

How many people driving through a starbucks/panera/dunkin' etc. need a free caramel macchiatto?

AND the poor cashier. Do these pay it forwarders leave a credit card? Cash? And how do they choose? Rearview mirror?

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 8

Without context, she may have thought all she was doing was pointing out that someone she didn't know did something christlike for her.

Okay, I'll be that jackass.  And I'm not putting words in your mouth, but when the hell did buying someone else (and someone who is fully capable of paying for it) fast food become "Christ-like"?  "Christ-like" must have depreciated greatly in the twenty years or so.  Is it because we no longer have leper colonies? I don't get it.  You did something nice for someone you don't know.  That's great, but clearly they're not exactly someone who's hungry and needing to be fed or naked and needing to be clothed.  Apparently people are confusing Liberty Mutual commercials with the Bible and coming up with this?

• Love 16

I think the snooty "drove off without paying a dime" comment is what did Jessa in on this one. It just reeks of ingratitude and entitlement like "ha ha my family is rich but this idiot just paid for my coffee, oh wells..."

That's kind of my point, though, I'm not sure she meant that to sound gloating. It's a phrase she heard someone use and then repeated; she just doesn't handle it quite organically. Here's an example. On one show, Jessa cooked dinner for Bin and he said, "I enjoyed every bite of it," or similar. Now, is this how 20-year old guys actually speak? No. It's just a phrase he heard or read about (or saw in a commercial) some husband using, and he threw it in. You know, like how you acquire a second language by absorbing idioms. Or in Ben's case, lIke a child learning a first language.

• Love 3

Okay, I'll be that jackass.  And I'm not putting words in your mouth, but when the hell did buying someone else (and someone who is fully capable of paying for it) fast food become "Christ-like"?  "Christ-like" must have depreciated greatly in the twenty years or so.  Is it because we no longer have leper colonies? I don't get it.  You did something nice for someone you don't know.  That's great, but clearly they're not exactly someone who's hungry and needing to be fed or naked and needing to be clothed.  Apparently people are confusing Liberty Mutual commercials with the Bible and coming up with this?

Well, I'm not actually the one who compared the person who bought Jessa coffee to God, Jessa is. And no, other than in the sense that believers are supposed to model the virtues of their faith, I don't think buying a stranger a cup of coffee is any kind of religous act. All I'm saying is that I can see her being touched by experiencing disinterested kindness, since it's something she was raised to have disdain for at the same time as her family was reaping a healthy income from it. Maybe this is just the only language she has to express that.

I said, I think she's confused. I just think her confusion has a touch of unJessalike sincerity about it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Well, I'm not actually the one who compared the person who bought Jessa coffee to God, Jessa is. And no, other than in the sense that believers are supposed to model the virtues of their faith, I don't think buying a stranger a cup of coffee is any kind of religous act. All I'm saying is that I can see her being touched by experiencing disinterested kindness, since it's something she was raised to have disdain for at the same time as her family was reaping a healthy income from it. Maybe this is just the only language she has to express that.

I said, I think she's confused. I just think her confusion has a touch of unJessalike sincerity about it.

Oh, no, I wasn't directing that at you.  I'm sorry if it came off that way.  And yes, I agree, it can be touching.  

That said ...

But seriously?  This is what's passing for "Christ-like" these days?

• Love 6

Okay, I'll be that jackass.  And I'm not putting words in your mouth, but when the hell did buying someone else (and someone who is fully capable of paying for it) fast food become "Christ-like"?  "Christ-like" must have depreciated greatly in the twenty years or so. 

Well, I think it probably has. ... I kind of blame it on the world being so virtual now. What this phenomenon reminds me of is the (many many) people who apparently imagine they're doing something for a cause by sending out a tweet with a hashtag .. Maybe the ease of communication -- and getting your "good deeds" easily telegraphed to everybody on the planet via instagram and the 24-7 maw of online "media" that might pick it up -- makes it seem that doing very little constitutes doing something really huge and significant?    #WorldPeace    #EndPoverty    #BeatCancer   #HurrahForChrist   Look at all the causes I've worked for today! And so on.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

Well, I think it probably has. ... I kind of blame it on the world being so virtual now. What this phenomenon reminds me of is the (many many) people who apparently imagine they're doing something for a cause by sending out a tweet with a hashtag .. Maybe the ease of communication -- and getting your "good deeds" easily telegraphed to everybody on the planet via instagram and the 24-7 maw of online "media" that might pick it up -- makes it seem that doing very little constitutes doing something really huge and significant?    #WorldPeace    #EndPoverty    #BeatCancer   #HurrahForChrist   Look at all the causes I've worked for today! And so on.

You raging Clicktavist, you. 

• Love 6

We seem to have gotten off the main topic at hand and went on a pay it forward off topic discussion. Lets get out of the fast food drive through lane and back into the Benessa world before we all get an upset stomach sitting in a fast food establishment parking lot discussing paying for coffee and the kindness of strangers. In fact, we can make a safe lane change and pull into the Small Talk thread to talk about the many facets of charity aka paying it forward. Thank you.

On Bin's FB page (he lists himself as a Writer).  My comment:  Speak for yourself and YOUR little bitty brain Bin.

This Week's Devotional
September 14, 2015
Ben Seewald

Many things about God are beyond our comprehension. As humans we don't like this. We like a little bitty god that can fit inside our itty bitty logical box and be understood by our tiny little human brains. Take the hypostatic union of Jesus for example. Jesus, 100% God, 100% man. The God-Man. Two 100%??? Doesn't make sense in our brains. Maybe that is because He is GOD and we are humans. Maybe that's because God is really BIG and we are really small.

Maybe that's why Romans 11:33 says "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" and Psalm 50:21 says "These things have you done, and I kept silence; you thought that I was altogether such a one as yourself:"

Praise God that He has revealed to us truth about Himself and the gospel, how to be saved, that we can understand. Verses so clear are given to us, like John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." There are many single and complex truths in God's Word that we are to study and learn and understand. But there are some things about God, that as we read the Bible we will be unable to fully comprehend. Things like the Trinity, the Hypostatic Union, and the relationship between's God's sovereignty and decrees and our human responsibility and free agency. In these moments, don't reject it because you can't understand it. Instead, take a step back and stand in awe of God. Take a moment to think on His words in Psalm 46:10: "Be still, and know that I am God:"

• Love 2

On Bin's FB page (he lists himself as a Writer). My comment: Speak for yourself and YOUR little bitty brain Bin.

This Week's Devotional

September 14, 2015

Ben Seewald

Many things about God are beyond our comprehension. As humans we don't like this. We like a little bitty god that can fit inside our itty bitty logical box and be understood by our tiny little human brains. Take the hypostatic union of Jesus for example. Jesus, 100% God, 100% man. The God-Man. Two 100%??? Doesn't make sense in our brains. Maybe that is because He is GOD and we are humans. Maybe that's because God is really BIG and we are really small.

Maybe that's why Romans 11:33 says "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" and Psalm 50:21 says "These things have you done, and I kept silence; you thought that I was altogether such a one as yourself:"

Praise God that He has revealed to us truth about Himself and the gospel, how to be saved, that we can understand. Verses so clear are given to us, like John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." There are many single and complex truths in God's Word that we are to study and learn and understand. But there are some things about God, that as we read the Bible we will be unable to fully comprehend. Things like the Trinity, the Hypostatic Union, and the relationship between's God's sovereignty and decrees and our human responsibility and free agency. In these moments, don't reject it because you can't understand it. Instead, take a step back and stand in awe of God. Take a moment to think on His words in Psalm 46:10: "Be still, and know that I am God:"

. Goodness, I read that twice and all I can do is shake my head. Don't quit your day job Bin. Oh yeah, that's right......
  • Love 8

On Bin's FB page (he lists himself as a Writer).  My comment:  Speak for yourself and YOUR little bitty brain Bin.

This Week's Devotional

September 14, 2015

Ben Seewald

I have read this 10 times it does not make sense to me.

Edited by amitville
  • Love 6

On Bin's FB page (he lists himself as a Writer). My comment: Speak for yourself and YOUR little bitty brain Bin.

This Week's Devotional

September 14, 2015

Ben Seewald

Someone needs to take Ben's phone away from him, and destroy it with a hammer or throw it in a furnace or something.
  • Love 7

This Week's Devotional

September 14, 2015

Ben Seewald

Bless his heart. He's trying his best to communicate with us, but... i think he needs at least 4 more years at college, and a job. And, not to be associated with the Duggars (other than his lovely jessa blessa).

• Love 7

This Week's Devotional

September 14, 2015

Ben Seewald

I think he just likes typing "hypostatic union."

Also -- Is it me or does this not sound much like a "devotional"?

ETA: I wonder whether he heard that people were throwing shade on his fitness for seminary studies. And, I mean, he knows about "hypostatic union." So I take it all back. He totally is.....There ya go, Bin.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Things you may not know about Ben (other than he's a writer). My comment. Thanks Ben now I know how people become nearsighted. 

Things You Might Not Know About Ben
April 17, 2015
When I was young I wanted to be a paleontologist and dig up dinosaur bones (fossils). I couldn't yet pronounce my 's' as of yet, but I loved laying in the driveway with a cheap little plastic paintbrush and a screwdriver and brush and poke at a special "fothil" (fossil).

When I was young, I loved asking for snacks when I went to my Grandparents. "Can I have a piethe or theethe pleathe!?" I would ask. (Translation: Can I have a piece of cheese please?) My Grammy would then happily get me a slice of cheese. My parents once told me, "Ben, you shouldn't ask for cheese, but if they offer it to you, then you can have it." "OK" I said. When we arrived I walked in and said: "Hi Gwammy! Hi Gwampa! Mom and Dad said I can't ask fow theethe, but if you offew it to me, then I can have it!" Everyone laughed and I got my cheese.

I would spend hours up close to a piece of paper drawing sharks, whales, soldiers, dinosaurs and ships. As a result I got nearsighted and have to wear contacts or glasses.

Before I met Jessa I grew some facial hair in order to look older (and because I thought it was manly) I decided not to say anything about my age because when we first met I was still 17 (almost 18 though) and Jessa was 20. I didn't want her to write me off as a possibility just because she thought I was too young. I wanted her to truly get to know me first and then I would reveal my age. Well, Jessa has a lot of siblings, and so eventually someone asked me and I let on. But it was okay by this point. I later found out that when Jessa heard how young I was that she didn't want me to know she was 20 because she didn't want me to write her off as being too old or out of my age group!

Things you may not know about Ben (other than he's a writer). My comment. Thanks Ben now I know how people become nearsighted.

April 17, 2015

When I was young I wanted to be a paleontologist and dig up dinosaur bones (fossils). I couldn't yet pronounce my 's' as of yet, but I loved laying in the driveway with a cheap little plastic paintbrush and a screwdriver and brush and poke at a special "fothil" (fossil).

When I was young, I loved asking for snacks when I went to my Grandparents. "Can I have a piethe or theethe pleathe!?" I would ask. (Translation: Can I have a piece of cheese please?) My Grammy would then happily get me a slice of cheese. My parents once told me, "Ben, you shouldn't ask for cheese, but if they offer it to you, then you can have it." "OK" I said. When we arrived I walked in and said: "Hi Gwammy! Hi Gwampa! Mom and Dad said I can't ask fow theethe, but if you offew it to me, then I can have it!" Everyone laughed and I got my cheese.

I would spend hours up close to a piece of paper drawing sharks, whales, soldiers, dinosaurs and ships. As a result I got nearsighted and have to wear contacts or glasses.

Before I met Jessa I grew some facial hair in order to look older (and because I thought it was manly) I decided not to say anything about my age because when we first met I was still 17 (almost 18 though) and Jessa was 20. I didn't want her to write me off as a possibility just because she thought I was too young. I wanted her to truly get to know me first and then I would reveal my age. Well, Jessa has a lot of siblings, and so eventually someone asked me and I let on. But it was okay by this point. I later found out that when Jessa heard how young I was that she didn't want me to know she was 20 because she didn't want me to write her off as being too old or out of my age group!

Ben isn't the least bit swarthy or dark, so at best he would've grown a gross patchy beige/red beard that a white Anglo seventeen year old can grow. I'm shocked Miss Photogenic Duggar didn't write him off then. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

April 17, 2015

So apparently the Seewalds were okay with fossil hunting and a paleontology ambition -- i.e., they apparently didn't think those were planted by God to lead us astray? ... That sounds like tolerating curiosity about evolution, to me. .... huh.

'Hypostatic Union' sounds like something Got Hard thinks is sinful if enjoyed premaritally.

I wonder what he thinks of the Teamsters Union? :-)

• Love 3

I think Ben should become a paleontologist. He can write then about it.  Ben 100% male, 100% human, that's 200%.  How can that be?  As far as my little bitty brain can know I've heard somewhere that nearsightedness is not caused by drawing pictures close to the paper, but hey what does my itty bitty brain now anyway. Well now we know that Ben won't be allowing his children to draw close up. 

• Love 6

I'm shocked Miss Photogenic Duggar didn't write him off then.

Seems like she was kind of holding her nose at first, but the more she thought about having her own house the more he appealed to her, no matter what the color of his beard. Escape into a place with your own bathroom beat out looks snobbery, apparently.

• Love 4

So apparently the Seewalds were okay with fossil hunting and a paleontology ambition -- i.e., they apparently didn't think those were planted by God to lead us astray? ... That sounds like tolerating curiosity about evolution, to me. .... huh.

Hey. God planted those fossils specifically so we can go to hell if we believe they're fossilized old stuff (under the circumstances it was nice of him not to plant any transitional forms). It would be ungrateful not to let Ben poke at them. 

• Love 3

How does the Trinity fit into Ben's 200% theory?  Are there really 3 100%'s?  Father, Son, Holy Spirit.  I count 3.  Maybe there is only one 100% for which they all partake fully?  Well Ben maybe when you were a kid digging up fossils in your driveway God was telling you to become a paleontologist.   You drew pictures, became nearsighted, you're really meant to dig up fossils because then you can help us understand why God made dinosaurs and then killed them all off.  Maybe he did it so people like you could unearth them someday!  Think of the possibilities of leading people to understand God's great design in this.  Sure, most paleontologists will tell you the fossils are millions of years old but maybe you were meant to correct them!  Tell them that earth is ONLY 6,000 years old!  That's your calling Ben, come on don't let us down.

• Love 4

Because I am limited in my religious knowledge, I feel so much better now, knowing that I can turn to Ben's writings to increase my knowledge of all things bible!

Oh, and I have spent years using my eyes, and around age 40, I needed reading glasses. Ben & I have so much in common!

• Love 3

Seems like she was kind of holding her nose at first, but the more she thought about having her own house the more he appealed to her, no matter what the color of his beard. Escape into a place with your own bathroom beat out looks snobbery, apparently.

Think of it: This time last year she was living at home, in the dorm, chief packer and educator, screaming kids everywhere. Now she's a narcissistic reality star 8 months pregnant, living in her won place. There's even free gift cards and free coffee! She hasn't had much to to with the kids she 'raised' either.

• Love 5

How does the Trinity fit into Ben's 200% theory? 

I don't think the 200 percent thing goes with the Trinity. I think it's the "hypostatic"!!! thing, which as I understand it refers to Christ being fully God and fully man. The paradox there is that he's one single unified being, yet he's also 100 percent human and 100 percent divine -- 200 percent. But still only one being.

The Trinity is a similar paradox but not the same -- and I don't think they use the word "hypostatic" for it. In that, God is one, but is also all three beings of the Trinity -- a 100 percent in that case is made up of 100 percent Father, 100 percent Christ, 100 percent Holy Spirit -- 300 percent.

But really the whole percentage stuff is just pure nonsense and not really part of theologists' explanations -- just written so Bin can show us that he knows how to write percentages!

"Hypostatic" sounds to me like what happens when you turn on a lamp in January and the spark is so big that the other people in the room yell, What the heck was that?. ... Or what happens at one of those kiddie-science museums when you touch the Van de Graaf generator.

• Love 1

How does the Trinity fit into Ben's 200% theory?  Are there really 3 100%'s?  Father, Son, Holy Spirit.  I count 3.  Maybe there is only one 100% for which they all partake fully?  Well Ben maybe when you were a kid digging up fossils in your driveway God was telling you to become a paleontologist.   You drew pictures, became nearsighted, you're really meant to dig up fossils because then you can help us understand why God made dinosaurs and then killed them all off.  Maybe he did it so people like you could unearth them someday!  Think of the possibilities of leading people to understand God's great design in this.  Sure, most paleontologists will tell you the fossils are millions of years old but maybe you were meant to correct them!  Tell them that earth is ONLY 6,000 years old!  That's your calling Ben, come on don't let us down.

So you think "Ben Ham" should be the successor to the (clearly aging) Ken Ham? .... Don't encourage him!

Why was his face so close to the paper? I doubt that caused his nearsighteness, it should have shown his parents that he needed glasses.

The stupid, it burns.

If he had to bring the paper up close in order to see it, he would be farsighted, wouldn't he? Ben is nearsighted. I'm no optometrist, but I'm fairly certain that nothing you do CAUSES that condition. I think it's more of a hereditary thing.

ETA: Googled it. Research supports that it is hereditary; however, there is growing evidence that it may also be caused by too much up-close work.

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 2