Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I randomly guessed 'death lung.' I had no idea.

Maori was kind of embarrassing.

I'm sure she knew the difference and just mixed up the words in the heat of the moment.

I think the only TSs I got were The Lapps and Man of a Thousand Faces. I was thinking Deadwood but wasn't quite sure, and same with brass monkey, though I thought balls were involved.

Zoey looked like Amy Brenneman to me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

What is the difference between a chin-up and a pull-up?  I've always used them interchangeably, and really thought there would be a score correction because of that.

The mister and I fully expected the correction at the end was going to be giving her the credit for chin-up.

I got FJ, though the pneuma (pnuemo?) threw me for a minute. Then I thought, okay what term has changed significantly since I was a kid - and Holy Ghost it was.

• Love 2

Sigh. I know the difference between Maori and Maasai. I've taught college students about the Maasai. And yet I said Maori and yelled at myself. 

And then I yelled at Jeopardy for once again asking for the controversial term "Lapps."

Being an anthropologist can be a pain.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I'm sure she knew the difference and just mixed up the words in the heat of the moment.

I bet you're right. Poor thing.

38 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Sigh. I know the difference between Maori and Maasai. I've taught college students about the Maasai. And yet I said Maori and yelled at myself. 

And then I yelled at Jeopardy for once again asking for the controversial term "Lapps."

Being an anthropologist can be a pain.  

I didn't know that about "Lapps". And it certainly doesn't help if I hear it somewhere like Jeopardy! Going to google that now...

• Love 2

Apologies for not putting in more context!  I hope you're a curious person and didn't mind heading to Google.  I've ranted about it in this thread before - but it has been awhile.  http://www.amscan.org/app/uploads/2015/10/SR_Summer14_Sami.pdf has a pretty decent explanation.  Essentially, Lapland, and then Lap(p), are names imposed through a colonization of sorts, while the Sami refer to themselves as Sami, not Lap(p).  

I don't expect the common person to be aware of this at all, but I want to hold Jeopardy to a higher standard.

• Love 5

I knew Jane the Mad would be deemed acceptable . Juana in Spanish translates is Joan, Jane, Joanna, Joanne, Jean, Incidentally, she probably wasn't that crazy. Much of that was a smear campaign by her husband and father. 

As for FJ, I remembered back from my religion classes in Catholic school that pneumatology meant study of the Holy Spirit. It was a section on Pentecost, one of the few times the Holy Spirit is actually talked about. I recall some classmate asking whether it was the study of lung disease too since his uncle had pneumonia at one point.  

• Love 2

I said stigmata for FJ!  Also said Maori and as soon as I said I went newp, that's Enzed.  And count me in thinking chin up was the same as pull up.

Edited by PaulaO
Spelling counts
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Jane the Mad... I yelled out "Insane Jane."  I wonder if it would have been accepted.

Insane Jane is my new favorite translation! Translation is all about word choices and connotation. I think you nailed it, whether or not they would have accepted it.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I knew Jane the Mad would be deemed acceptable . Juana in Spanish translates is Joan, Jane, Joanna, Joanne, Jean, Incidentally, she probably wasn't that crazy. Much of that was a smear campaign by her husband and father. 

Except I'm pretty sure she didn't say "Jane the Mad." She said "Jane the Crazy" and I don't think that should have counted. Various historians will use Joan or Joanna or Jane (or even Juana sometimes) but they all use "the Mad" at the end.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

Did any of us get FJ? I (like 2 of the contestants) got hung up on "Pneumo" = lung/breath/etc.

I got stuck there initially, but luckily remembered hagion was "holy" (mostly from the Hagia Sophia), and then did the "Holy breath??  Oh, wait, I get it..." thing.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Pallida said:

Apologies for not putting in more context!  I hope you're a curious person and didn't mind heading to Google.  I've ranted about it in this thread before - but it has been awhile.  http://www.amscan.org/app/uploads/2015/10/SR_Summer14_Sami.pdf has a pretty decent explanation.  Essentially, Lapland, and then Lap(p), are names imposed through a colonization of sorts, while the Sami refer to themselves as Sami, not Lap(p).  

I don't expect the common person to be aware of this at all, but I want to hold Jeopardy to a higher standard.

I knew it from seeing a PBS documentary about the Sami a couple of months ago.

• Love 2

Of course Eli won -- the one I liked the least.  And mostly because he did the TV category from the bottom up.  At least he picked from the other categories top down.

I am terrible with European history, and assumed FJ referred to some country that used to be part of the USSR.  Oh well! 

I did manage to get Jefferson Davis, Pasteur (I'd have to turn in my Microbiology degree if I'd missed that one!), Starwood and the missed DD of Brooklyn.  And thanks to having watched the Golden Globes last Sunday, I was able to come up with The Night Manager.  I'd never heard of that show prior to the awards.

• Love 3

I liked Eli well enough even though he swayed and made too many wrong guesses.  I was also thinking of USSR and said Czechoslovakia although Austria did pass through my mind.

• Love 1

Darn.  Swaying Eli was annoying and lost me when he started that one category at the bottom. 

I got Starwood, Bonn and Windsor Castle.

FJ was an instaget.  I can't believe none of them got it, but then again, I guess it boils down to what factoids are easily retrieved from the recesses of your mind.  But the years and the fact it had been an empire made it fairly obvious.

• Love 2

I got Pasteur, Yeltsin, The Night Manager, Brooklyn, and saccharine.

I liked all three contestants. Eli won me over when Alex told him he looked to be in good shape, and Eli did an exaggerated, "Thank you!" Cracked me up.

I didn't get FJ. I was focused on Yugoslavia and just couldn't think.

• Love 2

FJ was custom written for me. My mother was Austrian, her father died in '38 just before the Anschluss - Germany's takeover. And I would have been born there had the Austrians not kicked out the US and USSR occupation forces (or liberation, depending on their point of view) shortly before my birth. So the dates were meaningful to me. Amusingly, even though the mister knew all of that, and I gave him a stronger personal hint, he didn't get it.

Other than that, the boards weren't great for me. We really disliked the trash talking cities category.

18 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Eli won me over when Alex told him he looked to be in good shape, and Eli did an exaggerated, "Thank you!" Cracked me up.

Me too. It seemed so sweet and heartfelt.

• Love 1

For TS I got Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Brass Monkey, and Man of 1000 Faces. I was very annoyed Zoey(?) didn't know the Masai; the Maori are a very different ethnicity, from a continent on the other side of the globe. It seems the non-Alex categories are here to stay for cross-promotional purposes and if that's the case I prefer treatments like what they did for The Bold & Beautiful. I liked the melodrama juxtaposed w/ history, and how they were so willing to make fun of themselves. 

I'm not sure those were same show though; I'm a day behind and may be mixing things up. Ducking out now so I don't spoil myself for the Fri show!

• Love 2

For some reason, the Ottomon empire was the first that came to mind as a 'former empire', but I knew Turkey was incorrect. It took me until the very end to remember that the Austro-Hungarian empire existed, but once I remembered that, Austria was easy - I have certainly seen The Sound of Music enough times to remember Anschluss.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, illdoc said:

Did any of us get FJ? 

Yes, I did, thanks to a Greek Orthodox upbringing and Episcopalian adulthood.

I messed up Friday night's FJ, though; I picked Hungary rather than Austria.

• Love 1

I chose Hungary because my maternal grandmother always said she was from Hungary, but now the town she was from, Timisoara, is in Romania.  Some country got lost somewhere along the line & borders moved, so I chose Hungary. (Not too logical, I know.) When I cook something from one of her recipes, I don't know if it's a Hungarian or Romanian recipe. Hahahaha.

• Love 3

For some reason, the Ottomon empire was the first that came to mind as a 'former empire', but I knew Turkey was incorrect. 

I did the same and couldn't get Turkey out of my head.

For some reason this game didn't hold my interest. I remember getting Starwood and Brooklyn but the rest is a blur. I did like the military guy though.

• Love 1

Right???  WTF with Rwanda????  And FJ was so easy, too!  Good grief.  Well, at least we don't have to deal with his swaying any more.

I was a bit surprised that John Lewis was a TS, although I know this show was taped months ago -- way before the latest brouhaha.  Other TS I managed to come up with were newel, Count of Monte Cristo, Scourge of God, and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (that was must-see TV in my house back in the day!  Marlin Perkins!).

Rwanda.  Sheesh!

• Love 8

Several facepalms today, starting with (missing) Han Solo, and ending with Rwanda. That was embarrassing. It was a pretty sad game today, though.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 4

I couldn't think of newel, but I knew all of the above plus potluck. I was surprised that Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was referred to as a "daytime show." I remember it being on Sunday evenings, just before Wonderful World of Disney

I agree that Rwanda was a terrible guess. I wish that Eli could have stayed longer, but John is OK.

• Love 5

Yes I definitely felt that FJ was pretty obvious with the date, Russian sounding village names and Alex's accent. I'm surprised that Eli didn't pick up on that. Mary was very slow in making her selections, it seemed to surprise her that she had to pick a clue. 

• Love 5

In the Lucky category, the clue was what FOUR word question does Dirty Harry tell a punk he has to ask himself. Eli answers, " do you feel lucky, punk?" And he repeats the answer again. Isn't that FIVE words? Then Alex responds, "yes, do you feel lucky or do I feel lucky." Crap! What is the correct four word question, Alex? 

• Love 14

Congrats to John!  No more swaying!  Yeah, Eli, because Rwanda has so many Russian named towns.

I got Han Solo, Roman shades, newel post, potluck, Wild Kingdom (which was on Sunday evenings where I lived, too) and John Lewis.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading it in his Boris and Natasha accent.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

In the Lucky category, the clue was what FOUR word question does Dirty Harry tell a punk he has to ask himself. Eli answers, " do you feel lucky, punk?" And he repeats the answer again. Isn't that FIVE words? Then Alex responds, "yes, do you feel lucky or do I feel lucky." Crap! What is the correct four word question, Alex? 

That whole interaction was beyond ridiculous, on both sides. Hard to watch!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

The line goes: ‘You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’ 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The line goes: ‘You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’ 

And my answer was "do I feel lucky." It didn't impact the outcome but this kind of crap grates.....so I was glad that Eli answered Rwanda.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Do I feel lucky?

I said the same thing! Eli's answer was 5 words and not actually correct. It is indeed, "Do I feel lucky?" as that is the question he's supposed to ask himself. Granted, most everyone misquotes it, but Jeopardy! should know better. 

1 minute ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Han Solo, Roman shades, newel post, potluck, Wild Kingdom (which was on Sunday evenings where I lived, too) and John Lewis.

I didn't know Wild Kingdom. They didn't get John Lewis? I knew newel post from "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" where Clark takes a chainsaw to one of them.

I figured when John missed the Velazquez question, Eli was going to win after seeing the FJ clue. I knew it, but I've been to the Prado and seen the exhibit. Still though, the British Museum is a bad guess for a Spanish painter.

I wonder if you just put down Chernobyl without including nuclear disaster if that would have been accepted? 

• Love 6

I wanted John to win until his idiotic DD wager that put him in second place when he got it wrong.  Who does that near the end of the game when there's no time to recoup?  At that point I would've been thrilled to see my proposed trapdoors open up and swallow all three of them.  He only won because he was marginally less dumb than the champ, Tom Swayer.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I wonder if the judges would have accepted "Well, do ya, punk ?"  
Technically, it's a 4-word question.

I think luck was in quotation marks.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I am still agog at Rwandan Genocide. I felt like FJ was an instaget, especially since Alex was clearly using his "Russian accent."

Completely agree with you and others that the accent was a huge clue. I can almost maybe see not recognizing those as Russian/Eastern European village names without the accent. But then again the Rwandan genocide was "only" two decades ago. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yeah, but the category was about luck, so . . . I think not.

25 minutes ago, opus said:

I think luck was in quotation marks.

Thanks guys.  I missed the show tonight so I didn't know the category -- was just curious.  :)

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me too, a bright moment in a game full of aggravating moments for me, starting with that woman and her pauses. She should be in a game with Alain; it would take them 2 days to clear the board.

I wanted John to win until his idiotic DD wager that put him in second place when he got it wrong.  Whodoes that near the end of the game when there's no time to recoup? 

This had me screaming at the TV. I figured he knew museums pretty well to take such a risk but he's clearly not. That bet, and the fact he basically lucked out because Eli blew FJ, is why I think John will be a one and done.

2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

This exchange also had me screaming. I've seen people dinged before for giving too much answer; why wasn't Eli?

“Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (that was must-see TV in my house back in the day!  Marlin Perkins!).”

That was another bright moment in the game. Talk about a blast from the past - I actually squealed. I loved watching that with my parents! Beyond that my other TS were traffic, cube lube, void trapezoid, and Brooklyn Academy of Music which I was thrilled to see because I used to live right around the corner from it. I'm a neighborhood away now but it's still a point of pride in my hood :-)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I remember it being on Sunday evenings, just before Wonderful World of Disney

I too remember that. Maybe it started as a daytime program and was moved to Sunday nights.

3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I didn't catch that Eli said 'you' instead of 'I', but I forgive him for adding 'punk.' I think since Alex didn't say he was correct, he thought he needed to add the punk part. But I think Alex was waiting for him to rephrase it as a question even though it WAS a question. 

I got roman shades, newel, Wild Kingdom, John Lewis, and trapezoid void. For FJ, I first said Chernobyl then added meltdown. I guess that was correct.

• Love 1