Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I get so nervous watching Cindy because I feel like there are times when she is so uncomfortable and in such pain.  I also wonder if she is on prednisone and if so that makes me feel for her too.

She doesn't look like she is on prednisone. Also, she had colon cancer, and prednisone isn't used in the treatment of that type of cancer. She may have been on a low dose of a steroid for other reasons, but she wouldn't have been on very high doses.

Also, I read an article that said that she was septic and had a high fever during the taping - that certainly would explain why sometimes she looks so sick. She was also on pain medication.

I feel like she was likely only there for one day of taping, so I don't think we will see her past tomorrow, which makes me sad. Of course, I initially though that she was only in one episode, so maybe I will be completely wrong. I always hear people talk about how exhausting it is filming several episodes back-to-back, though, and it must have been even more tiring for Cindy.

• Love 2

Woooo-HOOOOO! That was a great ending. 

I'm a bigly Mad Men fan, but I didn't get FJ. I am ashamed. I don't know NYC very well. I was associating 6th Avenue with fashion, but I was sure it wasn't Sex and the City. I didn't have a guess.

I think the only TS I got was The Island of Dr Moreau.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think the only TS I got was The Island of Dr Moreau.

Alex made us laugh with his "Moreau" pronunciation because we weren't sure he'd go for it (silly us!).

Sorry I don't have links, but on JBoard someone at the taping said Cindy was doubled over in pain at times. :( Someone else said an article mentioned that the show sent Cindy tape of her games so she could see it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

I watched all the years of Mad Men and never once thought that the Mad referred to Madison Avenue.  I figured it was a reference to all the madness of their greed and power. Boy, did I feel silly when Alex just threw away that line of explanation that everyone should have known. 

I didn't watch the show but heard plenty about it over the years it was on and, like you, never knew it referred to Madison Avenue.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I watched all the years of Mad Men and never once thought that the Mad referred to Madison Avenue.  I figured it was a reference to all the madness of their greed and power.

I knew the double meaning from the start. I didn't know, or remember, which streets were associated with advertising.

• Love 1

Although I've never seen the show, I did know it was about Madison Ave, and I knew that was a low-numbered avenue in Manhattan, so it was an easy guess for me. Definitely one of those situations, like so many FJs, where if your mind doesn't go there, ya ain't gonna get it. It's cool for me to come here every day and see how easily some of you guys are like "instaget!" and I'm still scratching my head ;)

• Love 2

Someone else said an article mentioned that the show sent Cindy tape of her games so she could see it.

I read that also.  I really hope its true.

I'm so in awe of Cindy's grace and courage.  Pain can really prevent you from thinking clearly  and I don't think I'd still be able to stand long enough to tape those shows. 

I know.  And, there's only about a ten minute break between shows.  Plus, she's winning by getting the FJ questions correct.  There have been a few champs that win despite getting FJ wrong.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I knew the double meaning from the start. I didn't know, or remember, which streets were associated with advertising.

I think they might have tossed in "Madison Avenue" in one of the early episodes (or maybe it was just the promos). And I did know Madison Avenue was associated with advertising. But they said something like a few blocks from 6th avenue, didn't they? I know nothing about New York City's geography so I would never have gotten to that street from the clue.  I guessed 30Rock, mostly because I stopped watching it after a couple of seasons and thought maybe they changed venue at some point.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

My husband, who knows math, says that player #3 bet too much since she was ahead going into FJ. Any comments on the wagers?

I don't think so.  I just  looked at  the FJ again.  Player #3 (Sara) was leading with 11,600.  Player #2 (Chelsea) had 9,600.   If Chelsea had doubled-up she would be at 19,200.  To cover that, Sara would have to bet 7600 or more.  Her actual bet was 7601.  So I think she made a good wager.

You could argue that Chelsea overbet and that she should have just tried to cover a double-up from Cindy.  In that case, Chelsea would have bet 1000 to exactly cover a Cindy double-up.  She actually bet 2500.  If Chelsea had gone for exactly 1000, her total after getting it wrong would be 8600, which is exactly what Cindy had by getting it right.  If Chelsea had bet 1001, she would have lost  by a dollar.  I don't know if Cindy did that calculation before her bet of 3300, but it would not surprise me if she did.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

I don't think so.  I just  looked at  the FJ again.  Player #3 (Sara) was leading with 11,600.  Player #2 (Chelsea) had 9,600.   If Chelsea had doubled-up she would be at 19,200.  To cover that, Sara would have to bet 7600 or more.  Her actual bet was 7601.  So I think she made a good wager.

You could argue that Chelsea overbet and that she should have just tried to cover a double-up from Cindy.  In that case, Chelsea would have bet 1000 to exactly cover a Cindy double-up.  She actually bet 2500.  If Chelsea had gone for exactly 1000, her total after getting it wrong would be 8600, which is exactly what Cindy had by getting it right.  If Chelsea had bet 1001, she would have lost  by a dollar.  I don't know if Cindy did that calculation before her bet of 3300, but it would not surprise me if she did.

And this is the reason, if I ever made it to Jeopardy, I would tank in FJ - that kind of thinking/math makes my brain hurt. Trivia, I'm good with. Strategy, no so much.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, mookster said:

I never watched Mad Men and I live in lower Manhattan, so I kept saying, "But two blocks west of Sixth is Union Square! What show was set in Union Square?" Duh. Watching Cindy makes me misty too. 

Oddly enough, I didin't watch How I met your Mother and thought of that but I didn't think of Mad Men which I did watch. I guess I was thrown off by the Topic Title. I don't think it mentioned the key word....Televison!!! LOL!!!

• Love 1

I didn't keep track of the triple stumpers I got last night. Was too busy watching Cindy. But FJ was an instaget for me because I absolutely loved Mad Men and that's the first thing that jumped into my mind.

So glad Cindy won. Hope she does it again! Also loved that cherry print dress on her. So cute!

• Love 1

I came up with Belize immediately for FJ, but then couldn't decide which other country only bordered one ocean.  I ended up on Nicaragua, though I suspected it was wrong. 

I was also surprised Erin missed three-peat, and that empower was a TS.  Bobby Riggs being a TS was less surprising.  In addition to those, I also managed 1960s, asbestos, Calamity Jane, and Destry Rides Again. 

Go, Cindy!  She looked a bit more rested for this game than she did for some of the previous ones.

• Love 2

Another excellent game by Cindy! I hope she wins again on Monday.

The two contenders were also pretty good so it made for an interesting game.

I got several ts's including asbestos, Calamity Jane and Destry Rides Again, possibly others but I don't recall them; I remembered the Billie Jean King showdown with a male player but his name just wouldn't come to me.

Belize came to mind for FJ but I couldn't think of another country - for some reason I am very shaky on Central American countries - all seven of them.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

I missed Thursday's game because of Football (arrgh).  But I saw it today.  What a nail biter that was!  I'm so glad Cindy was able to win again.  I was much calmer with today's game.  Cindy is like the energizer bunny.  She is amazing!

• Love 2

I'm so pleased for and impressed by Cindy.  What an inspiration!  I hope she keeps going and qualifies for TOC, which sadly she'll not be on.  She had some good competition today.  Good game.

I got Bobbie Riggs, Calamity Jane and Destry Rides Again.

I immediately thought of Belize for FJ, but since I really stink at Central American geography, I guessed Costa Rica for the second country.  I really need to bone up on Central American (and Africa).

• Love 6

I wish Alex hadn't said she looked "frail." "Delicate" was sufficient for the story setup, though "petite" might have been better.

Apparently there's a significant (preplanned, normal) taping gap between this show and Monday's, which could be good or bad for Cindy. I want her to at least get 5 wins.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, mookster said:

I never watched Mad Men and I live in lower Manhattan, so I kept saying, "But two blocks west of Sixth is Union Square! What show was set in Union Square?" Duh. Watching Cindy makes me misty too. 

I made the same mistake! Instead of midtown I immediately thought Union Sq or University, and tried to think of a show about college students in NYC.

Cindy is awesome. I love how calmly and succinctly she responds, and I got a kick out of her saying "Biggie Smalls" like a real fan.

Today I got all of the DDs, and the Bobby Riggs TS, but only got half of FJ right with Belize. I guessed Honduras for the other. Time to polish up on my geography...

• Love 2

Shut up Alex.  Billie Jean beat Bobby a month before I was born and I know his name.  Yes they are too young for first-hand knowledge but not general knowledge for cod's sack.

Gloria Steinem was a terrible answer and I was rooting against Erin from that point on.  Also, she's not Cindy so I wouldn't root for her anyways.

• Love 9

Cindy should have gotten a BMS for the Swiss/Liechtenstein currency questions as it is specifically the Swiss Franc and there used to be several different kinds of Francs.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I came up with El Salvador and my husband came up with Belize. Tag team!

Cindy is kickin' ass. That one chick who missed "three-peat" got quite the verbal lashing in my living room. 

Same in our house. Though there was no verbal lashing regarding "three-peat," just a discussion about it.

41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Shut up Alex.  Billie Jean beat Bobby a month before I was born and I know his name.  Yes they are too young for first-hand knowledge but not general knowledge for cod's sack.

Indeed. (is cod's sack a typo, or an amusing way to avoid the standard phrase - I like it either way).

• Love 5

I was also surprised Erin missed three-peat

I didn't get it either. I knew that it was a 'three' something, but it just didn't come to me. I have heard of three-peat though.

I also couldn't remember Bobby Riggs' name. I came up with Bobby but could only pair it with Fischer.

I got asbestos and Destry Rides Again. I said Annie Oakley instead of Calamity Jane. Duh. And I'm a Deadwood fan, too. I also got Ayn Rand and Sojourner Truth.

I'm so glad Cindy is winning. Not only is she smart and inspiring, but she's got a good sense of humor.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Cindy should have gotten a BMS for the Swiss/Liechtenstein currency questions as it is ecifically the Swiss Franc and they used to be several different kinds of Francs.

Agreed.  And no, the Kit Franc would not have been acceptable.  :)

• Love 5
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

When Alex said the answer was "three-peat" she didn't look like she had ever heard the term before so I am guessing sports aren't a thing in her life.

I'm not fond of most sports, but the mister is, so I absorb some things. I remember hearing "three-peat" the first time and rolling my eyes. I had no idea it was trademarked. I found that amusing.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

When Alex said the answer was "three-peat" she didn't look like she had ever heard the term before so I am guessing sports aren't a thing in her life.

I'm in the same boat. Literally never heard the term before, so I was a bit surprised to see you all ripping on her for not getting it correct. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Indeed. (is cod's sack a typo, or an amusing way to avoid the standard phrase - I like it either way)

I thefted it from the old days of Television without Pity.  I actually am unsure of the origin but I use it anyways, heh.

• Love 5

Stupid ABC in stupid Washington, DC isn't showing Jeopardy tonight because of a stupid special about the stupid football game.  I tweeted them to ask when they are showing it but no response yet.  I'll ask again though. 

Shut up Alex.  Billie Jean beat Bobby a month before I was born and I know his name.

Yeah, its a famous event.  Jeopardy isn't about modern day history, Alex.

• Love 3

Stupid NBC in Detroit didn't show Thursday's game because football, but the cable guide showed it on at 3:30 am Friday morning. So I DVR'd it, only to be greeted by a half hour infomercial for Hair Club for Men. 

Thanks for nothing, WDIV, and so glad that Cindy won. Will have tissues ready for the inevitable. 

• Love 2

I've been behind pretty much since Thanksgiving, but I finally caught up over the weekend.  I didn't ready any of this while I did, so I missed out on a lot of snarking--I think I missed that more than the show!  I had heard about Cindy's game on Tuesday, but managed to be not spoiled about her winning, which was great.  That definitely impelled me to finish catching up last night.

I think everything I might have said that was actually relevant to game content has already been said, except for one thing left open:

> I originally felt the same but maybe since they said something like he [John Paul] was the first doubly named the "I" would be redundant?

He specifically went by "John Paul I", which was notable, because I think he's the only pope who was first of his name to do that.  Francis, for example, is just "Francis", even though he's the first one of those.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2016 at 0:38 PM, ByaNose said:

I don't think it mentioned the key word....Televison!!! LOL!!!

The category was NYC TV.

24 minutes ago, Scott said:

He specifically went by "John Paul I", which was notable, because I think he's the only pope who was first of his name to do that.  Francis, for example, is just "Francis", even though he's the first one of those.

Historically, they only become "I" after a "II" is named.  Francis will be just Francis until a second Francis comes along, then he'll be designated Francis I.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Plus I liked that Final Jeopardy - called for some lateral thinking.  I got it but I am not surprised two contestants missed it.

I obviously have no memory -- I only watched the show an hour ago and can't remember FJ. Can someone remind me?

I too am so sad Cindy won't be in the ToC. I hope they dedicate it to her or at least acknowledge her during it.

• Love 2