Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

OMG she's a librarian!  How would you not know that "tiempos" means time and then infer the correct novel?!?

I mean I didn't need to go through all that because it was super obvious to me but Don Quixote was maddening. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, illdoc said:

OMG!!! How was it possible to miss FJ????? Don Quixote??? Just because it was in Spanish????? From the "librarian", no less!!!!

I got FJ immediately, even though I don't speak Spanish. I used my knowledge of Latin to figure out of tempos meant time or times, then it popped in my head immediately.

@CarpeDiem54 Congrats to you - carpe diem was a clue today! 

Wasn't keeping track of my TS's today (washing dishes) but I did holler out Thunderball at the TV.

Its always tough to lose by a dollar like the lady in the middle. 

• Love 4

I really hope j-archive has this game up tomorrow!  I'm sad I missed a game where mugwumps was an answer.  I did look up FJ, and all I can say is duh -- too easy, even if you don't know Spanish.

• Love 1

Darn it!  I've decided I can't stand Mr. Starts in the Middle of Categories.  I was really rooting for Erin.

I got Dupont and heat seeking.

19 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

I got FJ immediately, even though I don't speak Spanish. I used my knowledge of Latin to figure out of tempos meant time or times, then it popped in my head immediately.

@CarpeDiem54 Congrats to you - carpe diem was a clue today! 

Same here on FJ.

Seize the day!  ;-)

• Love 4

I was only half watching this one so the only TS I recall getting was Verdi. I LOVED that Met category. Just having a snippet of a performance was smart, rather than have one of the performers take so long reading the clue.

FJ was an instaget. It was crazy how that contestant went down the route of a spanish novel, but if I'm remembering the clue correctly, other than the translation, there was no relevance to spanish or Spain. They could have just as easily translated it into Swedish.

• Love 4

I got no Ts's :(  ; however, I did get FJ. Big whoop.

Like Ragavan, I embarrassingly said "tit for tat." I knew it wasn't Latin, but I couldn't think of anything else.

I didn't know alma mater meant nourishing mother.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I was only half watching this one so the only TS I recall getting was Verdi. I LOVED that Met category. Just having a snippet of a performance was smart, rather than have one of the performers take so long reading the clue.

FJ was an instaget. It was crazy how that contestant went down the route of a spanish novel, but if I'm remembering the clue correctly, other than the translation, there was no relevance to spanish or Spain. They could have just as easily translated it into Swedish.

I loved the Met category, too! I don't know a ton about opera, although I enjoy it, but I thought La Traviata was one of the more well known ones. I was quite surprised that Verdi was a TS.

I said Heat Seeking Missile when the category was revealed.

I don't know Spanish, but I figured FJ out from knowing French.

• Love 2

The Met category was awesome!

FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw the word tempos.

I loved Erin's hair.

The new champion has changed his FB profile pic from him & Warren Buffett to him & Alex. 

• Love 2

I got heat seeking from something rude my ex used to say. I also said tit for tat, knew it was quid pro quo but couldn't get the words from my brain to my mouth.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

OMG she's a librarian!  How would you not know that "tiempos" means time and then infer the correct novel?!?

I mean I didn't need to go through all that because it was super obvious to me but Don Quixote was maddening. 

I agree. That was some seriously pedestrian Spanish up there. And as someone who has never read "A Tale of Two Cities," I immediately can recognize its famous first line.

• Love 5

Can't believe no one got Diana Gabaldon after the wrong answer of Galbadon. Perhaps they didn't quite hear what he said wrong?

I couldn't quite get what he said wrong either.  

It was probably easy but since I don't know Spanish, I'm proud of myself for getting FJ.  Heh, though since my book group just read Tale in March, there would have been no excuse. 

• Love 3
(edited)

He said "Galbadon," not "Gabaldon." But, it's not a big name if you are not familiar with the books or adaptation, so I wasn't surprised no one else got it. Heck, not too long ago, Nora Roberts was a TS, and she is a much bigger name in the book world than Gabaldon is.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2
(edited)

You mean I missed a whole category about admirals on Wednesday?  Which I would've easily run?  Damn you, uncooperative feral cats!!  (Missed last night's Jeopardy because of them, too.)

I didn't know Wednesday's FJ, but I would've gotten A Tale of Two Cities from last night's clue.

12 hours ago, Fex said:

I loved the Met category, too! I don't know a ton about opera, although I enjoy it, but I thought La Traviata was one of the more well known ones. I was quite surprised that Verdi was a TS.

I said Heat Seeking Missile when the category was revealed.

I don't know Spanish, but I figured FJ out from knowing French.

Oh man, I missed on opera category, too?  Damn it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

He said "Galbadon," not "Gabaldon."

There was another answer he gave where he transposed some letters. I can't remember now what it was, but it was a common word, IIRC, so I wasn't surprised Alex didn't rule him incorrect.

• Love 1

A photo of Prince Charles?  In a Polo category?  Really?  Granted, it was from his younger days, but still.  It was unmistakably him.

I didn't do very well with the TS today, though.  I only got A Confederacy Of Dunces and green goddess.  I blame it on all the contestants not starting at the tops of categories.

FJ was beyond me.  I could have had all the time in the world and not come up with the correct response.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

A photo of Prince Charles?  In a Polo category?  Really?  Granted, it was from his younger days, but still.  It was unmistakably him.

I wasn't looking at the TV and thought "gee, a photo isn't going to help me with this because I really have no idea" and then I looked up at the photo and laughed. It was really easy with the picture.

There was one surprising TS I got, but I don't remember what it was.

I must have seen the news story about QEII becoming the longest reigning monarch a hundred times on my news feed, so I got FJ immediately.

• Love 5
(edited)

Congrats to Ragavan.  I'm not a fan, but he was better than Seth.  Enough with the starting in the middle of categories and board jumping, especially after the DD's are already found.

That picture of Prince Charles in the Polo category was lame.  Gimme a break!

I got A Confederacy of Dunces, green goddess, and Madeleine Albright (missed DD).

Even though I read several stories about Queen Elizabeth's 70 year landmark reign, I had no clue for FJ.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 5

At first, I thought that Silence of the Lambs was way too easy for a $1000 clue. Then I realized it's a 25 year old movie!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

There was another answer he gave where he transposed some letters. I can't remember now what it was, but it was a common word, IIRC, so I wasn't surprised Alex didn't rule him incorrect.

I think it was Charge of the Brigade, but he said something like Charge of the Light Brigrade. I was also surprised that AT didn't rule incorrect. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Fex said:

At first, I thought that Silence of the Lambs was way too easy for a $1000 clue. Then I realized it's a 25 year old movie!

Sure, but so much of it has passed into popular culture that it's more memorable than most 25 year old movies. It cropped up repeatedly in the wake of Jonathan Demme's death (which I realize took place after the taping of the show). A lot of LGBT people were outraged by the Buffalo Bill character.

Congrats to Ragavan.  I'm not a fan, but he was better than Seth.  Enough with the starting in the middle of categories and board jumping, especially after the DD's are already found.

Seth was not only a board hopper but a swayer, so I found myself rooting against him.

I was sad but not too surprised that no one knew A Confederacy of Dunces. When it was published, it seemed to attract as much attention for the "Cinderella story" of its publication as for its literary qualities. It's also one of those novels that people have been trying to make a movie of for decades and never getting off the ground with. 

I knew The Horse Whisperer and somehow recalled that Albright was born in Eastern Europe.

No idea on FJ. My guess was Morocco.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Sure, but so much of it has passed into popular culture that it's more memorable than most 25 year old movies. It cropped up repeatedly in the wake of Jonathan Demme's death (which I realize took place after the taping of the show). A lot of LGBT people were outraged by the Buffalo Bill character.

Seth was not only a board hopper but a swayer, so I found myself rooting against him.

I was sad but not too surprised that no one knew A Confederacy of Dunces. When it was published, it seemed to attract as much attention for the "Cinderella story" of its publication as for its literary qualities. It's also one of those novels that people have been trying to make a movie of for decades and never getting off the ground with. 

I knew The Horse Whisperer and somehow recalled that Albright was born in Eastern Europe.

No idea on FJ. My guess was Morocco.

So it's not just me then :) It was too easy for $1000!

I can't imagine a successful movie adaptation of A Confederacy of Dunces. But I'd go see it, just to find out!

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Thank you for jogging my memory! Madeleine Albright was the TS that surprised me.

• Love 2

I'm pleased I got FJ. I remember hearing a news story about how distraught the people in the country were since this was the only leader so many of them knew. I knew it wasn't the Philippines, so then I decided it must be Thailand.

DD – The Horse Whisperer

For TSs, I got A Confederacy of Dunces and Michael Kors, as well the DD of The Horse Whisperer. I couldn't quite remember the name of the Van Gogh painting and guessed Dr Gogol (instead Dr Gachet).

I thought Seth looked a few decades out of date.

• Love 2

A Confederacy of Dunces is my favorite book of all time, so even though none of them got it, I was glad it was mentioned. I think it's been a clue a couple of times before and makes me smile each time!

The other TS I got were Madeleine Albright and Michael Kors. For FJ I wild guessed Japan thinking of Hirohito as longest reigning emperor, but forgot he also died quite a while ago.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I think it was Charge of the Brigade, but he said something like Charge of the Light Brigrade. I was also surprised that AT didn't rule incorrect. 

Charge of the Light Brigade is correct and it's what he said.

• Love 3
(edited)

Another low energy game. Didn't notice Seth's swaying, but hated the board hopping especially after the DDs had been found. Agree with whomever said Seth looked a few decades out of date (my then teenaged brother had the same haircut at my 1993 wedding). Rich looks like my cousin whose daughter was a most adorable flower girl Friday night <3

TS I got were Horse Whisperer (missed DD), Confederacy of Dunces (I'm from NOLA so better not miss that one!), Green Goddess dressing, & Madeleine Albright. Shocked that Albright was a TS! 

FJ was an instaget. I really like QEII, so remember that the king of Thailand's death made her the longest reigning living monarch (speaking of, identify a picture of Prince Charles? Really?) Dr. Toothbrush said he read that the entire country of Thailand will be in mourning for a year, and even the ahem, "local talent", has to dress in black. 

2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For FJ I wild guessed Japan thinking of Hirohito as longest reigning emperor, but forgot he also died quite a while ago.

Surprisingly, not as long ago as one might think. I was in 11th grade when he died in 1989, and WWII seemed so long ago even then, and he seemed like such a relic of the past. And now I am a few years older than he was during WWII. Ugh! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Charge of the Light Brigade is correct and it's what he said.

Yes, but he mangled "Brigade." He added another r in there somewhere. We watched it several times because we just knew AT would bust him on it.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Yes, but he mangled "Brigade." He added another r in there somewhere. We watched it several times because we just knew AT would bust him on it.

I definitely also heard "brigrade".  I was surprised he wasn't called on it.

Also, instaget FJ the last two games, A Tale of Two Cities and Thailand, which is good because I was on a run of misses.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Loved Seth, who was my smiley-thu-the-whole-game, board-jumping kind-of guy. Don't love that we must suffer thru another low-level tourney. I know, I know, the "biggie" won't be the same this year. But still. Sigh.

(edited)

Let's count how many ways the incorrect FJ answers were wrong, shall we? Contestant #1 answers "2008" (apparently "Barack" is a nickname?). Contestant #2 answers "1950" (thinking he took the oath as "Ike"?). Neither year is a year when a president is sworn in and "1950" wasn't even a presidential election year!!!!

I thought FJ was an insta-get (with potentially 1993 ("Bill" Clinton) as a back-up answer)).

Edited by illdoc
  • Love 12

It wasn't an insta-get for me.  I got hung up on the Department of Energy -- I thought it would have been earlier than that, like in the 50s -- then couldn't figure out a president with a nickname in the 50s.  When I (briefly) thought about a presidential nickname, I only went as far back as Clinton, but knew that couldn't be right for the DoE.  Oh well!

Middle guy seemed like he didn't really want to be there.

• Love 3

I bet that lady's kids call her Mrs. A in class.  She was nice enough, but kind of pokey.

I am sad that both Hank Greenberg and Dick Weber were TS.  I am apparently so old.

I said 1950, but then realized that couldn't be right because of the 1960 election, then said 1948, but realized that couldn't be right, so then I said 1952 all before the time was up, because I was thinking of Ike, which was obviously wrong in several levels.

• Love 7

The first 3 teachers make me think Jeopardy! might have relaxed its minimum level of competency for the Teacher's Tournament again. The last couple of years have been better than what they had previously, but tonight wasn't a good sign at all. Was happy for the kindergarten teacher who won, but for crying out loud, 2008 was an election year, not an inauguration year. And 1950? Seriously?!?! Shaking my head. Come on, J! Step it up with the quality of contestants please.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am sad that both Hank Greenberg and Dick Weber were TS.  I am apparently so old.

I thought the same thing!

As for FJ, I just knew the answer was Jimmy Carter but I mistakenly said 1976, not stopping to think he was actually inaugurated in 1977. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

The first 3 teachers make me think Jeopardy! might have relaxed its minimum level of competency for the Teacher's Tournament again. The last couple of years have been better than what they had previously, but tonight wasn't a good sign at all. Was happy for the kindergarten teacher who won, but for crying out loud, 2008 was an election year, not an inauguration year. And 1950? Seriously?!?! Shaking my head. Come on, J! Step it up with the quality of contestants please.

This!  And it was a relatively easy game and the contestants' dollar amounts weren't very high going into FJ.

I got Somalia, Stars & Stripes (again, don't people watch M*A*S*H*?), yellow marrow, larynx, and INRI.

I had to think about FJ but got it in plenty of time because of Jimmy Carter.

• Love 5

Well, I knew it wasn't a president from my lifetime for FJ. I then had to think of decades that would fit all the clues. I came up with the 70s as being the right decade to pull from mostly because of the first female race car driver clue (I don't follow racing at all but was pretty sure the 70s was the only decade that could fit since I was born in 1984). By that point I ran out of time and guessed 1973. I had no clue if that was an election or innaguration year- I just picked a random date. At least I was on the right track! 

• Love 3
(edited)

WTH on that FJ performance. My 16 year old got that it was 1. Jimmy Carter and 2. in the 70s. (He went with 76) Maybe you have no idea, but then at least try to get the right part of the election cycle. 1950 was wrong on so many levels. 

Edited by HavartiHead42
Inauguration years are odd
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

As for FJ, I just knew the answer was Jimmy Carter but I mistakenly said 1976, not stopping to think he was actually inaugurated in 1977. 

I did too...I blame it on the second (large)  glass of wine I had .

• Love 5

I came to Jimmy Carter pretty quickly, and luckily I noted that the clue said the year when inaugurated, so I settled on 1977. I'm sure most people think Danica Patrick when it comes to women race car drivers, but I recalled a movie from the 80's (I think) called Heart Like a Wheel, where Bonnie Bedelia plays the first female race car driver. I'm assuming this is the driver referred to in the clue.

For TSs, I got Somalia, baseball (Hank Greenberg), Stars and Stripes, yellow marrow, and (false) flag. I just couldn't remember the title of the Disney show with Selena Gomez (The Wizards of Waverly Place).

• Love 2

I initially said 1945 (thinking Harry Truman), then thought that was way too early for the female driver. I came up with Jimmy Carter, but wouldn't have gotten the year in time.

I was surprised no one got the Congo river, given Kinshasa in the clue. I got Singapore, too.

• Love 1

'm sure most people think Danica Patrick when it comes to women race car drivers, but I recalled a movie from the 80's (I think) called Heart Like a Wheel, where Bonnie Bedelia plays the first female race car driver. I'm assuming this is the driver referred to in the clue.

Without looking, I think it was Janet Guthrie. It's dumb not to check, because why would you guys either know or care that I know that stupid factoid?

• Love 3
(edited)

All 3 contestants having G names pleased my OCD. 

The TS I got were Stars & Stripes, Wizards of Waverly Place, INRI, & Congo River. Congo was a total guess; river in Africa = Congo or Nile and I got lucky :-)

FJ took a few seconds but I got it in time. 

It made me sad that Graham was going to have to use his grant from Framers' Ins to buy updated books for his class. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2