Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Ottawa!!!! I don't know what's happening, but my hometown is on a Jeopardy role. I didn't like him as much as I liked Julie, but I wasn't going to cheer against someone from Ottawa so I was okay with the result.

As a watcher, I've never put much thought into the wagering side of the game, but even I knew Julie's wager made no sense. It didn't protect her if she got the question wrong and it didn't guarantee her a win if she got it right. So strange,

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Trey said:

I'm glad Eric won, but the squinting...oy!

Looks like he needs a new pair of glasses. That's what I look like when I wait too long to go to the optometrist.

16 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I saw that on the news, that was a crazy fire!  I'll be going through there next weekend, I guess I better start figuring out an alternate route!

We saw a news chiron on Jeopardy out here on the west coast, so we paused our recording to find out where it was, we thought it was local. Good luck to all you Atlantans who'll have to work around it on a daily basis.

• Love 4

The squinting isn't bothering me, but the undone dress shirt button with no visible undershirt is driving me absolutely BONKERS.

Also I'm 12 clues in and I already can't take Aaron's terrible guesses.

• Love 2

Thank goodness Eric won again.  Of the three, he was the least objectionable, despite the squinting.  At least he starts at the tops of categories! 

Too many clues needed a BMS -- there's more than one actress with the last name Arquette, Andrea.  Also, Andrea reminded me a lot of Justine Bateman in her Family Ties days. 

I hadn't heard of most of the mnemonics.  I could figure them all out, but I learned different ones for those things.

TS I got include Born To Run (it helps that I recently slogged through it); The Nightingale; Oklahoma (my help there came from a term paper on the Cherokee about a million years ago in high school); Fokker; isomers; Queen Mary; and the missed DD of Winslow.  It made me incredibly sad that Aaron didn't know Winslow, Arizona, and of course I'll have that song in my head the rest of the night.

I drew a complete blank for FJ -- I figured out spear, but kept trying to put it at the front end of a name, and just couldn't manage.  And then of course facepalmed when the answer was revealed.  D'oh!

• Love 5
(edited)

I got the TS of Gustav Klimt and all of them in the artists category except for Edward Lear. Looked him up and he was known mostly as a limerick author. I didn't remember him from my Art History studies.  He sounds really interesting though because he drew birds from actual live birds.  From wikipedia: He was the first major bird artist to draw birds from real live birds, instead of skins. I will have to read more about him.

The girl in the center looked and sounded exactly like the actress Gillian Jacobs, starring in Love on Netflix. Mostly the way she spoke! I wonder if people tell her she is the spitting image.

I missed last night but I see what you mean about old squinty-eyes-rumple shirt. 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I hadn't heard of most of the mnemonics.  I could figure them all out, but I learned different ones for those things.

No kidding. mnemonics I learned were ROYGBIV and HOMES. I never heard the English houses one but that's a good one to remember. I did know it was Stuart though  .SOHCAHTOA reminded me that King Phillip came over for good soup.and every good boy deserved fudge.  

• Love 7

Good grief!  Eric, who bugs the crap out of me with his squinting, rumpled shirt, and unshaven mug, was the least objectionable of the contestants.  At least he starts at the top and doesn't guess like a crazy person.  If they ever have a Tournament of Goofy Guessers, Aaron will be the champ.

I call total BS on giving Andrea "Arquette" since there are/were three actress sisters.  Not to mention Kit and Carson Arquette.

I got Born to Run, fokker, Windslow, AZ., and the Queen Mary.

I guessed Edward (not Richard, Aaron!) Longshanks for FJ but knew it wasn't correct because he was king in the late 1200's/early 1300's.

• Love 9

Eric wins the title of "only J contestant to squint while wearing glasses." (Which he must have picked up while dumpster-diving.) He knows a lot but drives one nuts while he shows it!

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

No kidding. mnemonics I learned were ROYGBIV and HOMES. I never heard the English houses one but that's a good one to remember. I did know it was Stuart though  .SOHCAHTOA reminded me that King Phillip came over for good soup.and every good boy deserved fudge.  

Where we lived King Phillip came over for Green Stamps! You could buy a lot with Green Stamps back then- even good soup!

• Love 1
(edited)

King Philip Came Over For Great Sex.

Also it didn't come up in that category but one of my favorites was My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles, but unfortunately she no longer makes Pickles.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

Yeah who came up with those mnemonics?  The rainbow and great lakes one are definitely lesser know than ROYGBIV and HOMES. 

Eric bugs me to death, so many things......he has to lose soon unless he shaves, combs his hair, buttons his shirt, puts on a T shirt and gets some new glasses. 

• Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

King Philip Came Over For Great Sex.

Also it didn't come up in that category but one of my favorites was My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles, but unfortunately she no longer makes Pickles.

Now she serves us nachos.

I hadn't heard (or had forgotten) the what the King Philip one was for. I looked it up and apparently he also came over from Great Spain and for good spaghetti.

There was also Please My Dear Aunt Sally for the order of operations in math: Parentheses, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

What did people find so bothersome about Andrea?

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

I call total BS on giving Andrea "Arquette" since there are/were three actress sisters.

I said that, too, but Mr. Author reminded me that there was a picture of Patricia.

I was clueless for FJ, didn't know Shakespeare had a logo, though I knew it was the Tudor period, thanks to Philippa Gregory :-)

• Love 3

This show's writers are getting so lazy. Shakespeare has been the FJ answer either in name or his works more than a half dozen time since the beginning of the year.

Lately they've been falling back on their usual rotation of the same subjects. If a contestant has no clue, just guess MOMA, Karouac, Shakespeare, Animal Farm, Grandma Moses, Breaking Bad - it's beginning to get tiresome.

• Love 3

King Phillip?  We learned Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed.

The advantage of Super Man Helps Every One and whatever it was on J! over HOMES is that the lakes are in order, left-to-right.

I was annoyed at the "Arquette" answer, too, but during the break went into the kitchen and heard Alex blathering about something when the ads were over - I missed what he was saying, and I was hoping that it was taking away her "Arquette" answer for not B'ingMS.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/29/2017 at 10:31 AM, tvaddict44 said:

I sure thought that Russian leader died from plutonium poisoning...

Me: He was very handsome before the poisoning. It really caused him to lose his looks.

Dr. Toothbrush: Um, not to mention his life...

Compassion, I haz it 

On 3/30/2017 at 7:42 PM, mojoween said:

I got Kyra too because I thought they were going for the actress names in the whole category.  And I am very glad they took that guy's money away for saying Hargitay wrong.

On a happier note, I love that the guy in the middle sang in Klingon.  

Yes to the names. Dr. Toothbrush applauded the Klingon singing. 

On 3/31/2017 at 7:19 AM, Trey said:

Did not get FJ.  As soon as I saw 'revolution' I said Evita and was positive I was right:)

Me too! 

8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I said that, too, but Mr. Author reminded me that there was a picture of Patricia.

Please tell Mr Author to stop being logical. We need our righteous indignation, dammit! 

I had to laugh at Cap'n Crunch being a Navy man. Since the clue included UT I was trying to think of a human Naval hero from that state who endorsed cereal. I figured out CC right before Aaron rang in. 

The only TS I got for Friday were Queen Mary & the missed DD of Winslow, AZ.  I thought Longshanks for FJ too, but Dr Toothbrush got Shakespeare immediately. 

Happy 7,500 episode! 

Edited by Toothbrush
Aaron, not Adam
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

The Great Lakes one I learned is Super Man Helps Every One.

So interesting...and whatever helps, I say.  I'm a lifelong Michigander and HOMES is the only one I had ever heard of 'til now.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

This show's writers are getting so lazy. Shakespeare has been the FJ answer either in name or his works more than a half dozen time since the beginning of the year.

Lately they've been falling back on their usual rotation of the same subjects. If a contestant has no clue, just guess MOMA, Karouac, Shakespeare, Animal Farm, Grandma Moses, Breaking Bad - it's beginning to get tiresome.

And Tennesee Williams/Arthur Miller, Clara Barton and/or Florence Nightingale. I've really noticed an obsession with having a movie category in every game. Oscar winners etc. They don't have a science category in every game. If there is no movie theme then here is certainly a TV theme -usually Netflix shows like Breaking bad. The 2 subjects you can count on are a vocabulary or word game type category (which I like), history and TV and/or movies. It must be required to have movies and TV in every game. You have to really be strong in that area to do well.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 1

HOMES is the only one I've ever heard, growing up on the shore of Lake Erie. But the others mentioned here and on the show have the advantage of putting the lakes in order from west to east.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There was also Please My Dear Aunt Sally for the order of operations in math: Parentheses, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (E is for exponentiation)

• Love 3
(edited)

Just catching up on a weeks worth of games -- Monday and Tuesday were really good games.  High scores and very few clues left on the board

I have to call bullshit on Adam's FJ answer -- "What Gettysburg ?" even if AT did fill in the 'is' for him. He should have been ruled wrong based on the fact is wasn't really a question.

They don't allow "Who Carson ?" or "What Walden Pond ?" during the Jeopardy or DJ rounds.

ETA: 
In Wednesday's show, it was North American river fail Part 2 -- previously a contestant called the Niagara river (which was highlighted on the map) the St. Lawrence River.  In this episode, the St. Lawrence River was clearly highlighted on the map, and Julie guessed the Erie River -- seriously ?  At least Tricia got it right.  Even more galling, it was a $1600 clue that should have been in the Teen Tournament.

My DVR screwed up Thursdays show so I missed it, but finally got to the Friday BMS for Arquette.  Come on.  
Even worse was the Vicky Cristina Barcelona clue where they let "What is Cruz ?" fly by without a BMS. Could have been Tom Cruise ? Or Ted Cruz ? Or Kit Cruz ? Or Brandon Cruz ?

Gustav Klimft has been in the news lately -- really ?

A little sad that Andrea didn't win.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Abigail = impressive.  Would not be surprised is she wins muliple games.

Eric took an admirably big risk on that last DD, but no dice.  (As it turned out he wouldn't have won anyway.)

• Love 1

I thought of Animal House, but I didn't remember its having such a surreal ending. I only saw it once when it was new; I'm not crazy about it.

I knew Of Human BondageGigi, Cosima (who later became Mrs. Richard Wagner), sails, and bear (Eric's missed DD).

I guessed India and Pakistan correctly but don't know the details about what the British Commonwealth was.

• Love 1

I loved how Abigail stood there brandishing her buzzer like Joan of Arc holding her sword, or maybe the Statue of Liberty with her torch.  I thought she might say she decided to move to NYC after reading Eloise, which is when I decided to (even though I lived close enough to hop on the subway). 

Very impressive win, and I hope she's in for the long haul (unless she pulls something really annoying--bottom buttons don't do it for me!).  ;o)

• Love 4

I loved how Abigail stood there brandishing her buzzer like Joan of Arc holding her sword, or maybe the Statue of Liberty with her torch.

With that and stating the complete category name + "please" I was prepared to hate her but she's smart and her reaction to winning was very sweet.

I swear I learn something new every other day from this show. I'd never heard "dust bowl" referred to as a period in history, and the only TS I got was Of Human Bondage which I bought only recently, after it appeared in another clue in another game.

• Love 1

Abigail was impressive, and seems sweet, but the Statue of Liberty buzzer stance, the dreaded starting in the middle of categories, and her "Can I have complete name of category for X dollars, please" is going to drive me nuts.

I got King of Hearts, Gigi, sails, and National Lampoon's Vacation.  Alex pisses me off when he rules someone correct (Family Vacation) and then immediately tells them, "Oh, sorry, it was National Lampoon's Vacation" thereby not giving anyone else a chance to ring in.

I dragged FJ out of my brain, but I'm not sure I would have had enough time to write it all down.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got King of Hearts, Gigi, sails, and National Lampoon's Vacation.  Alex pisses me off when he rules someone correct (Family Vacation) and then immediately tells them, "Oh, sorry, it was National Lampoon's Vacation" thereby not giving anyone else a chance to ring in.

In this case, Alex ruled him correct, the buzzer went off to signal end of round, and then Alex recanted and said it was actually incorrect. Since time was up, they weren't going to go back and let people try again (though they do typically delay the end-of-round buzzer until a question is 'complete').

• Love 2

She said the Romani and Alex said Yes, Romani or the Gypsies. My answer was the Roma- I wonder if they would have accepted that. Roma is Romani in Romani. I think you can also call them the Roma. 

Then another question I answeered Cosimo and Alex said Cosima. But it was a man, no? I wonder if I would have been ruled wrong.  I can't remember the question now. Does anyone remember it? I wanted to look it up. 

She was so strange holding the buzzer like that. My arm would be so tired! The outfit! I wonder what tomorrow she will be wearing?

• Love 1

I said Dust Bowl too and wondered if they really wanted the Great Depression, but that picture is really to me more about the weather than the economic harshness of the time.

I also blurted out Samuel Clemens for some reason and wondered if they would have taken it.  Probably not since that wasn't the name on the literature.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Abigail was impressive, and seems sweet, but the Statue of Liberty buzzer stance, the dreaded starting in the middle of categories, and her "Can I have complete name of category for X dollars, please" is going to drive me nuts.

Her stance kept reminding me of the farmer with the pitchfork in Grant Wood's American Gothic. I was also reminded me of some other familiar image which I can't quite place at the moment.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, operalover said:

Then another question I answeered Cosimo and Alex said Cosima. But it was a man, no? I wonder if I would have been ruled wrong.  I can't remember the question now. Does anyone remember it? I wanted to look it up. 

Cosima was Liszt's daughter, and the second wife of composer Richard Wagner.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I said Dust Bowl too and wondered if they really wanted the Great Depression, but that picture is really to me more about the weather than the economic harshness of the time.

I said the Great Depression. To me the photo shows her worry about how her family will survive day-to-day.

The only TS I got was Gigi.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can't believe none of them knew Animal House!

I was stunned that was a TS!

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I said India and Pakistan even though I don't know why.

I got India right away, knowing they had gained their independence from Great Britain following WWII, and I guessed Pakistan, since the two always seem to go together, but I wasn't sure that they were part of the Commonwealth.

• Love 2

Abigail is very impressive. I liked her a lot - 50s librarian hipster look, Statue of Liberty stance (she reminded Dr. Toothbrush of the Columbia [?] movie studio logo) & all. And she has beautiful penmanship. Too bad about Eric losing everything in the DD and then being unable to play FJ.

TS I got were Gigi, Animal House (how was that a TS???), Cosima, & sails (guessed on the last 2). A landscape photographer in the 20s-50s is always Ansel Adams. Not sure why Billy was credited with Dust Bowl, as it is not, to my knowledge, a period in history. I always thought it was a description of OK & KS during the Great Depression. Like Eric, Dr. Toothbrush & I both said "Family Vacation". Dr. T got FJ correct, but I said Bangladesh & Pakistan, further proof that my knowledge of geography leaves much to be desired. 

• Love 3