Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Now I'm doubly glad Viraj lost.

I think I was wrong. I checked out both twitter accounts and didn't see that reply. But, I'm not all that familiar with Twitter, so I could be missing something.

Edited by Clanstarling

I just looked through Viraj's twitter (it's almost exclusively replies to other tweets) and he indicated that he flipped off all of America for electing Donald Trump. Huh. Alrighty then. I guess those of us that didn't vote for Trump were casualties of his Great Flipped Bird.

Just now, Clanstarling said:

I think I was wrong. I checked out both twitter accounts and didn't see that reply. But, I'm not all that familiar with Twitter, so I could be missing something.

You have to click on "tweets and replies" on his feed to see all of them.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I just looked through Viraj's twitter (it's almost exclusively replies to other tweets) and he indicated that he flipped off all of America for electing Donald Trump. Huh. Alrighty then. I guess those of us that didn't vote for Trump were casualties of his Great Flipped Bird.

Oh, good. Someone who understands Twitter better than I. Okay, I take back my nevermind.

Here's the original link I posted,  Jeopardy Contestant Flips the bird at Alex Trebek

Edited by Clanstarling
add link
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In Viraj's interview, he pretty much said being on J! was meaningless. What a tool. I wish his spot would've gone to someone who actually *cared* about being there.

That says all I need to know about V-man.  Total sour grapes.  He came in LAST on a "meaningless" show.  Nice job.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

You have to click on "tweets and replies" on his feed to see all of them.

What a tool. I didn't vote for Trump either, but Viraj needs to grow the f__k up. 

9 minutes ago, Albino said:

That says all I need to know about V-man.  Total sour grapes.  He came in LAST on a "meaningless" show.  Nice job.

So I suppose he'll be donating his "meaningless" winnings to charity?

• Love 9

I was pulling for Gary but I have to hand it to Lilly for going into overdrive in the DJ round. 

This is shallow note but I truly hated how she had the sleeves pushed up on her arms in that sweatshirt. 

ETA: it does sound petty, I know, about the sleeves, but it just looked a little sloppy. I know she's tiny and probably bought the smallest size she could find, but if she's insulted by my remark she's got $100,000 to comfort her.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 4

I had my doubts that he was intentionally giving the finger, but now knowing that he did, I don't think that's right. I'm pissed about Trump being elected, too, but I wouldn't flip off the world because of it. I wonder if the show is ever repeated if the producers will edit this out.

• Love 3

I predicted Lilly would win from her first appearance and I was for her all the way. I wonder if J! will have a category (one day) called "GIRL winners." :)

I look forward to seeing her again in TOC. I'm not sure she can win, but she's a fierce competitor (and calm as the proverbial cuke) so maybe.

I totally fizzed out on FJ (guessed Copernicus and knew it was wrong), but I did get Thursday's Richard III. I've read and seen lots of Shakespeare (even saw Richard Burton in Broadway's Hamlet...I was sitting two rows behind Elizabeth Taylor), but I've never read --or seen-- Richard III. However, I have seen The Goodbye Girl (more than once...okay, more than twice...okay, more than 3 times) and I always LOL at Richard Dreyfus playing Richard III as a gay hunchback.

• Love 3

I learned about Kepler ON Jeopardy because it's constantly an answer. Whenever you need a German astronomer, a 17th century Astronomer, Austrian Professor astronomer, astronomer who lived at the same time as Gallileo, astronomer who's mother was accused of witchcraft. Jeopardy loves Kepler.

Glad this godforsaken tournament of wet dish cloths is over

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

This is shallow low but I truly hated how she had the sleeves pushed up on her arms in that sweatshirt. 

I hadn't noticed how small she was until she won and stood beside Alex. She looks like she might be about my height. I find sleeves on many things, particularly sweat shirts, go down past my fingertips. When I have to do anything manipulative while wearing them (such as cooking, or like Lilly, pressing a button), I have to slide them way up to keep them from sliding down and getting in the way. She also had very slender arms, so she'd have to slide them up even more than I do. So I'm thinking it was necessity rather than a fashion choice.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, I would never have guessed that people hated pushed-up sleeves so much.

I never would have guessed people would even notice  something like that, let alone hate it.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 13
On 2/25/2017 at 4:44 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Not only that, but it's been discussed almost as much as Viraj flipping off the whole country.  From now on, next time I want to say "F you" to somebody, I'll just push my sleeves up at 'em.

I laughed way too hard at this. Of course I'm sure laughing hard is also somethihg I'd be hated for by some boardies!

If I ever make the show, I'llbe sure to let you guys know so you can show me a little mercy. 

• Love 8

In Viraj's interview, he pretty much said being on J! was meaningless.

He is actually very wrong.  Even if you don't win, people are very impressed when they find out you are on Jeopardy.  Heh, I don't go around telling strangers but if I'm with friends and there is a new person around, one of them will mention it.  Its a lifelong benefit he now has. 

I have very short arms so I'm always pushing up my sleeves. 

• Love 7

I am embarrassed to admit that I wasn't able to come up with Camp David, either.  I think I forget it's in Maryland or something, and I just couldn't think of any major landmark in Maryland.  D'oh!

I did get body blow and outcasts, though!

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Sheesh. On a list of different categories Camp David might fall into,  "Landmark" isn't one of them. 99 out of 100 Americans could be driven right by the front door and not recognize it.

I always thought of it as a Presidential retreat or where the Camp David accords were signed. Never considered it a landmark either. 

Also, I'm from Haverhill, Massachusetts, the birthplace of John Greenleaf Whittier. He has schools, bridges, and a rehab hospital named after him. Excerpts from Snow-Bound were required reading for me growing up. 

• Love 1

Definitely wouldn't consider Camp David a "US Landmark" and honestly I didn't realize it was in Maryland. Can you actually go to Camp David??

Kirstin continues to win games but as noted above her average winnings are pretty low. And all the totals today before FJ were pretty low as well. Wasn't a big fan of today's game. Ready for someone else to come in and take out Kirstin.

Edited by burner
  • Love 5

I didn't get FJ. I suppose at one time I'd heard it was named after Eisenhower's grandson, but I didn't remember it. I don't understand why they didn't just say "Shangri-La" instead of "this place in Lost Horizon." It made me think that knowing it used to be called Shangri-La would quickly lead you to Camp David. 

BTW, my WAG was Chevy Chase. Hey, he was a pretty young boy then!

I got molecules, body blow, and asbestos. I also got Joe Mantegna (after the bad guess of Joe Manti-somethiung) and outcast (after the guess of outlaws).

I liked Amy. I'm trying to figure out who she reminded me of.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

It sounded to me like the guy said "Tuskee airmen," instead of "Tuskagee." I'm surprised he wasn't ruled incorrect.

That is what I heard too, and kept waiting for the change in scoring. I thought Sam's story about playing Alex Trebek with his family as Jeopardy contestants was adorable.

Kirstin lucks out again. Is it just me, or does it seem like she's been around for more than 4 games? 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

It sounded to me like the guy said "Tuskee airmen," instead of "Tuskagee." I'm surprised he wasn't ruled incorrect.

4 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

That is what I heard too, and kept waiting for the change in scoring. I thought Sam's story about playing Alex Trebek with his family as Jeopardy contestants was adorable.

I just re-watched. He did say it. There was a K sound in there, but it was really fast. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, teebax said:

I'm always surprised when an FJ I think is super easy ends up a TS. Wow.

It just shows that all of us have different perceptions of how we define what should be known by trivia buffs such as ourselves. 

I remember getting into an argument with a trivia group about the first to run a 4-minute mile. Evidently, Roger Bannister wasn't as common knowledge as I thought.

• Love 1

The reason I didn't get Camp David was because the clue read "an area in Maryland" - had it said "a place" in Maryland I would have got it. I thought to myself"what is the name of the area in Maryland that Camp David is in?"  HA HA HA HA!! I could not believe the answer as Camp David was in my head!! It's not an "area". I thought it was some geographical area. Of course a broad geographical area is not a landmark either. I think that is what threw them. If it had said PLACE they may have got it.

• Love 2

I, too, was thrown by their referring to Camp David as a 'landmark'.

I have no problem with Kristin. She doesn't board jump, she doesn't sway back and forth, she doesn't mash the buzzer. And she's easy on the eyes. She can stay.

• Love 6

Kristin annoys me a bit

And not because she wins via luck.  As others mentioned, every answer she gives she turns her head or smirks her lips in a way like she is unsure of her answer and is waiting to hear if she is right. 

Its a little quirk, but it bugs me. 

• Love 2

I got it, but it was circular thinking. I went, Xanadu? Shangri-la? Somehow I remembered that Shangri-La was its original name, and from there I remembered that Camp David was named after David Eisenhower. I think it was parenthetical information when he married Julie Nixon way back in the day. I did not realize it was in Maryland.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Guess Leanne's not an SCTV fan.

Every Christmas I have to watch their video of The Twelve Days of Christmas.    

Did they try to give the game to Leanne on several occasions, or what?  It seemed that way to me, at least.

• Love 2

As a Canadian, the only one of those terms I have ever actually heard other Canadians use is "chesterfield". I've only heard 'hoser' used by Americans stereotyping Canadians, and Canadians imitating Americans stereotyping Canadians.

FJ was an instaget, not least because tomorrow is Ash Wednesday (although not for the contestants).

• Love 4
(edited)

West Coaster here and this Trump speech is pre-empting Jeopardy until later and I'm the only person in the world without a DVR.

What was FJ? Kirstin still champ??

Edited by burner
  • Love 1

Yay Rob!  I'm so glad Kristin's gone.  Was it just me or did she have a glob of drool hanging off her chin a couple of times?

I got grist, Longfellow, Yosemite, Jackson Hole (missed DD), John Irving and hoser (another missed DD).

I'm sorry they didn't finish the "Left of" category.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4