Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yay!  You go, Gary!  I was thrilled when Lilly was in the red and old smirking  "give 'em the finger" Viraj missed FJ.

That was a weird game.  Lots of TS's.  No one knew "quick" in The Quick and the Dead in Speed Reading?  I also got Lake Erie, hiatus, Big Brother (have never watched it), and avocation (surprising since they basically gave the answer).

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 5

Is it just me or is Viraj seriously coming off like a total jerk? The guy has no poker face whatsoever. 

Lilly has been more likable for me as the game has progressed which is a good thing. And I didn't realize Gary is only a Freshman. That's very impressive. #teamGary

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was surprised they missed Big Brother -- I've never watched it and got that one, and avocation, too.  However, I didn't come up with Richard III in time.

I've never watched BB either but got it anyway. I also got avocation.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

That was a weird game.  Lots of TS's.  No one knew "quick" in The Quick and the Dead in Speed Reading?

I got The Naked and the Dead stuck in my head, but I knew that was Mailer. I'd also forgotten what the category was.

I didn't know hiatus could mean the space betw body parts (or whatever that was), but hiatus was what I came up with for the first part of the clue having to do with the break that television production takes.

FJ was pretty easy.

It's happened before that a contestant got away with saying WWF instead of World Wildlife Fund. I think this is a BMS. After all, it could be World Wrestling Federation.

1 minute ago, burner said:

Is it just me or is Viraj seriously coming off like a total jerk? The guy has no poker face whatsoever. 

It was bugging me that he was making faces and shaking his head when he didn't get the right Kardashian and didn't know another reality show answer. It was like he was emphasizing how beneath him such knowledge was.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It's happened before that a contestant got away with saying WWF instead of World Wildlife Fund. I think this is a BMS. After all, it could be World Wrestling Federation.

When he said WWF I realized that I would have totally messed up and said "World Wildlife Federation". Kind of surprised they let WWF thru though.

• Love 3

Is a student allowed to compete in the college tournament more than once? For example, could Gary compete next year? Does it make a difference if he wins this year? Could he return in ten years as a regular contestant?

What are the rules for what contestants wear? With the hot lights, college T shirts would seem more practical for the college tournament.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

got The Naked and the Dead stuck in my head, but I knew that was Mailer.

Me too.

53 minutes ago, burner said:

When he said WWF I realized that I would have totally messed up and said "World Wildlife Federation". Kind of surprised they let WWF thru though.

I was stumbling along with that tongue twister (for me anyway) when he said WWF and they accepted it. That surprised me too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

It hasn't been the World Wrestling Federation since 2002, but a BMS could have asked for. 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

No one knew "quick" in The Quick and the Dead in Speed Reading?  I also got Lake Erie, hiatus, Big Brother (have never watched it)

I got those too. He guessed Lake Michigan? I guess he forgot that Lake Michigan is on the western side of Michigan. 

17 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Has Alex mentioned that the winner gets to automatically go to the TOC?  If he did I missed it - so far only the amount of money they win.  This has been the least interesting of all the college tournaments to me - don't really know why.  In my mind Viraj definitely knew what he was doing with shooting the finger.  The look on his face seemed so smug, so he's definitely out for me.  No room for disrespect -  it was an honor to be chosen for the games, so act appreciative.

I don't think he has, but that's usually standard for the college champ to have an automatic bid to the TOC. What will happen this time, I don't know. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I too think he should have had to say the whole thing, but the wrestling WWF is now WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment).

2 hours ago, Driad said:

Is a student allowed to compete in the college tournament more than once? For example, could Gary compete next year? Does it make a difference if he wins this year? Could he return in ten years as a regular contestant?

What are the rules for what contestants wear? With the hot lights, college T shirts would seem more practical for the college tournament.

You can't be a contestant if you've already competed with Trebek as host (except for specials like Watson, Tournament of Decades, etc.), so these students very well could come back in ten years if there's a new host (unless the show changes the rules, but I'm not sure they can do that retroactively). If Alex quits in 2018, I'm not sure this freshman could come back for the college tournament, though; that just seems weird.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

6 hours ago, burner said:

5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

It hasn't been the World Wrestling Federation since 2002, but a BMS could have asked for. 

3 hours ago, dcalley said:

I too think he should have had to say the whole thing, but the wrestling WWF is now WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment).

The reason the name changed in 2002 for the Wrestling people is that the World Wildlife Fund won a lawsuit over the use of the initials WWF, and a court actually determined that the wrestling organization was not allowed  to use those initials because they are so strongly connected to the World Wildlife Fund.  With that background, have a judicial determination that WWF can only mean World Wildlife Fund, I think they would have to accept WWF without a BMS, especially after over a decade.

That said, I thought FJ was too easy, and kept casting my mind through other Shakespeare villains because I thought that was just too obviously Richard III.  However, that's one of the things about FJ--sometimes really hard, sometimes really easy, and you don't know which when you are placing your bet.

• Love 8

I can barely hear anything Gary says.  Lilly may not have been my first choice out of all 15 but she is certainly my favourite out of these three.

Instaget FJ which made me feel good because I've been missing quite a few lately, even ones you all say were easy:)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

For someone who majored in English through two degrees, I never had to read one of the histories.  Major omission in the grduate department I think.  I got Richard III because of Richard Dreyfuss in the Goodbye Girl stumbling around in his hump costume to play Richard...

I was an English major too. I took a Shakespeare course - the best thing about it was the professor (who is now a poet laureate for the area). TBH, I'm a heretic when it comes to Shakespeare, I don't care for him.

I must have read a history or two in that class, but I don't remember doing so. I knew it more because of historical fiction, and some articles I'd read about his supposed deformity (I think that was supported when they found his remains buried under that parking lot).

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was an English major too. I took a Shakespeare course - the best thing about it was the professor (who is now a poet laureate for the area). TBH, I'm a heretic when it comes to Shakespeare, I don't care for him.

I must have read a history or two in that class, but I don't remember doing so. I knew it more because of historical fiction, and some articles I'd read about his supposed deformity (I think that was supported when they found his remains buried under that parking lot).

I've read a lot of the histories, and love Richard III, but almost went with Caliban from The Tempest.  I changed it in plenty of time to write it down, though.

I'm so glad Gary bet big on FJ.  He doesn't have a huge margin over Lilly for day two, but every little bit helps when it comes to keeping her from winning.

I generally agree that Viraj is being a douche, but I was amused by the face he made when he realize he should've bet more money on that easy-ass Daily Double.  Mainly because I can imagine myself making the same sort of face.

• Love 5

I want Gary to win.  Just because.  When the FJ! category was revealed, I said my standard "Troilus and Cressida."  I then changed to Richard III when I saw the clue.  Had an internal debate for 20 seconds, RIII or RII?

• Love 2

Lilly is one of those whose age is before her time.  When I look at her, she's young, but when she talks I think she must be forty.  Gary sure went for it, I guess he knows so much Shakespeare he was confident to make that daring bet.

• Love 1

I just guessed Richard the III. 

Its another one of those categories where there are only like 10 possible choices they would go to, tops.  Maybe less.  It this clue seemed to point to a historical figure. 

Its a very close match!  really any of them could win, they are all pretty even I think.  I know Viraj is behind after today, but he could come back and get some double/final jeopardies to close the gap. 

I forget the rule, is it $100K for the winner and then so much for the second/3rd place, but then if they win more than the guaranteed money they get to keep it for 2nd and 3rd place?

The said part of this tourney anymore is $100K would not even comes close to covering 4 years of colleges at these schools, especially after taxes.  They should really up the amount they win, hasn't changed in years. 

• Love 2

Lilly has the personality of a gnat.  I don't even mind Viraj.  At least he has a personality.  I'm for Gary all the way, although he does sort of mumble.   

FJ seemed really, really easy.  I guess it always does when you know it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Thirded. I'm halfway through my master's degree now. I have taken several Shakespeare courses and still don't like him. I prefer Russian literature, truth be told. I usually get Shakespeare questions corredt, but I'm not a fan.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, teebax said:

Thirded. I'm halfway through my master's degree now. I have taken several Shakespeare courses and still don't like him. I prefer Russian literature, truth be told. I usually get Shakespeare questions corredt, but I'm not a fan.

Nice to know I'm not alone. I cannot keep the comedies straight, but I'm pretty decent at getting answers for the tragedies and sometimes the histories. 

I'm more of a modernist (Steinbeck, Styron, etc). I deliberately avoided the Russian lit course because I felt I needed anti-depressants to endure a whole semester. :)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Ailianna said:

The reason the name changed in 2002 for the Wrestling people is that the World Wildlife Fund won a lawsuit over the use of the initials WWF, and a court actually determined that the wrestling organization was not allowed  to use those initials because they are so strongly connected to the World Wildlife Fund.  With that background, have a judicial determination that WWF can only mean World Wildlife Fund, I think they would have to accept WWF without a BMS, especially after over a decade.

Thanks for the info. I rarely retain any information about wrestling, but maybe this will stick.

• Love 1

I can't believe I got Kepler.

This is only the second game of the tournament I've seen, Except for the Tournament of Champions, I really hate the idea. Just run the normal shows, damn it. No children, especially. 

• Love 5

Fun game!

I was surprised that no one got Archery or Orange is the New Black.

I think I heard Lilly say "Nice!" when someone else answered the Hello Kitty question. I guess with her self-proclaimed competitiveness, she is also a good sport! 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I knew Lilly could pull if off.

I hope they put her in the next TOC so she and Pranjal V. can team up to bring the MIT vibe to a national audience.

This was posted before it even came on here in Southern Indiana.....how?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, deemac said:

This was posted before it even came on here in Southern Indiana.....how?

Jeopardy! is syndicated. Different networks show it at different times in the evening, The general rule here is to not to mention tonight's show without spoilers until after 7 PM EST.  

• Love 4

I was not a fan of Lilly, but she was quick on the buzzer and knew her stuff so I have to give her props for that. Viraj sabotaged himself by continuing with the stupid guessing. If you don't know, don't buzz in! Some people just can't handle the silence when nobody buzzes so they feel the need to jump in and blurt out any old answer which is a wrong one most of the time.

i got archery and emmenthaler cheese. FJ stumped me for a moment but then the answer came to me. 

• Love 5

Well, congrats to Lilly.  She is quick on the buzzer.  I think Gary tried to buzz in numerous times but she beat him to it.  I have to say I feel sort of sorry for her, though.  Both Gary and Viraj did great shout outs to friends and family members and she did a shout out to her dorm rooms??  Kinda sad.  It's good she got the money.

• Love 1

Yay Lily! I liked her more and more, and she was my "local" contestant, so I'm just as glad she kicked ass.

Gary totally reminds me of my cousin, which is funny because my cousin is white. 

• Love 5

Viraj really freaked out that whole game. Just blindly buzzing in and making really bad guesses.

I was joking with some friends during the interview portion when everyone was giving shoutouts to their friends and family that Lilly would be like "I thank no one". AND SHE DIDN'T THANK ANYONE. What a robot.

That said she totally owned today's game and had been pretty great all tournament. She grew on me a lot and I enjoyed watching her win. Ready for regular games though.

Oh and these kids really need to watch more TV. Or I watch too much TV. But they were terrible at the tv characters categories.

• Love 1

I got three in the TV category: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Black-ish, and Orange is the New Black. I also got archery and, kind of, emmental. My sister has bought a four-cheese tray from Costco, and one of the cheeses was emmental, but I didn't realize that was a swiss cheese. I don't like swiss, but I liked this stuff.

The photo of Eudora Welty looked familiar, but I couldn't come up with her name.

Lily answered Queen Ellizabeth for some coin, and I wonder why she didn't need to specify I or II.

I did not get FJ.

• Love 3

Congrats to Lily!  And damn, she's itty-bitty!  She must have been standing on a box for the whole tournament.

I knew Kepler.

ETA:  I just watched the behind-the-scenes video; yep, she was standing on a box.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, burner said:

Viraj really freaked out that whole game. Just blindly buzzing in and making really bad guesses.

What especially annoyed me was every time he got one wrong - and some of them were $2000 payoffs - was that arrogant shrug he always gave afterwards.  Like "Got it wrong but who cares?  I'm Viraj!"

Hated Lilly when the tournament started but I think she loosened up a bit over the days and by today I was able to enjoy her performance.

• Love 7

I have to say I feel sort of sorry for her, though.  Both Gary and Viraj did great shout outs to friends and family members and she did a shout out to her dorm rooms??  Kinda sad.  It's good she got the money.

Are you kidding? Students and parents at MIT are thrilled with her shoutouts.  MIT is quirky and different, and she did MIT proud.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, lonestar said:

Are you kidding? Students and parents at MIT are thrilled with her shoutouts.  MIT is quirky and different, and she did MIT proud.

Agreed. I don't think it's sad at all. She seems happy and well-adjusted. She's also quirky, which I like. I'm happy she won.

I got all of the TS's, which is a first for me. I thought it was a good tournament. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Albino said:

What especially annoyed me was every time he got one wrong - and some of them were $2000 payoffs - was that arrogant shrug he always gave afterwards.  Like "Got it wrong but who cares?  I'm Viraj!"

OMGosh, you made me laugh.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Albino said:

Hated Lilly when the tournament started but I think she loosened up a bit over the days and by today I was able to enjoy her performance.

I think Viraj knew the whole game he was behind and by Double Jeopardy knew he had to take a bunch of risks to get back in it, so he acted accordingly.  He knew he had little chance of winning by that time, so the misses and the strange answers and behavior were along those lines.  If he missed, nothing lost.  Its not he didn't care, he just knew he had no chance.  He started the game way behind and didn't manage to close the gap any in the beginning, so he was pretty much out of it. 

Didn't mind Lilly winning.  Had no real strong preference for any of them. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, teebax said:

Agreed. I don't think it's sad at all. She seems happy and well-adjusted. She's also quirky, which I like. I'm happy she won.

I got all of the TS's, which is a first for me. I thought it was a good tournament. 

Same here...except I did NOT get all of the TSs.  Way too easy to criticize players while sitting at home watching...I wish Lily, Gary, AND Viraj all the best!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I am OK with Lilly winning bit did Gary bey himself out of a win . I can't remember what his total was the first night had he bet all his 7700 would he have won?

No. There was no way he could beat Lilly. And I think he was trying to ensure he'd get second place by not betting much. If he'd have bet everything and Viraj got the answer right and he'd gotten it wrong I *think* Viraj would have gotten second.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, burner said:

If he'd have bet everything and Viraj got the answer right and he'd gotten it wrong I *think* Viraj would have gotten second.

No, there was no way he could have come in third. His first day total was triple that of Viraj. I think he just put a small wager knowing it made no difference either way.

• Love 2