Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I really don't understand why he feels the need to do this, especially for a right answer. Is it in his contract that at least one answer per game can be "Frenchified"?

The same reason he feels the need, when someone gives an incorrect answer, to give them correct answer in his "its obvious and you blew it voice" with an explanation as to why they should know it.  Because he is a bit pretentious and wants everyone to believe he would know all this stuff himself even without the answers right in front of him. 

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The same reason he feels the need, when someone gives an incorrect answer, to give them correct answer in his "its obvious and you blew it voice" with an explanation as to why they should know it.  Because he is a bit pretentious and wants everyone to believe he would know all this stuff himself even without the answers right in front of him. 

Art Fleming did it too, back in the olden days - not the Frenchified pronunciation so much as the  brusque "No!" with implied "You idiot!" followed by the correction.

• Love 2

And to be fair, as much as I roll my eyes and run to the forums when he does it, I wouldn't want him to stop.  Being annoyed at Alex's pretentiousness is part of what makes the show, at least for me.  

• Love 12

With how regularly we aren't getting to all the clues, I do get annoyed when Trebek parrots back answers. If he's providing a full name when someone only gives a last name, that's ok. I can learn things I don't know when he does that. Or if a contestant pronounces things a bit off (while being accepted) as sometimes happens, it's ok. When he just wants to say an accented word or phrase, or even sometimes it's not even accented, I want him to just get on with the show. 

• Love 3

Two things I never had to learn in school - Mythology and Shakespeare!  This show even loves to work these 2 categories into other categories.  In the past few weeks "Planets" was really a Mythology question.  And "Plays" was actually a Shakespeare only two days after an actual Shakespeare question.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I really don't understand why he feels the need to do this, especially for a right answer. Is it in his contract that at least one answer per game can be "Frenchified"?

I pronounce French words (and names) the French way because that's the only way I've ever said them, and that's how they sound in my head. I started learning French when I was 3 (my grandmother is French). No idea if the same applies to Alex, but until I came to this board, it never occurred to me that his pronunciation would be considered unnatural, or put on. I do think he is often condescending to the contestants, though!

1 hour ago, Scott said:

And to be fair, as much as I roll my eyes and run to the forums when he does it, I wouldn't want him to stop.  Being annoyed at Alex's pretentiousness is part of what makes the show, at least for me.  

Agreed!! Also, his awkwardness with the interviews.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fex said:

I pronounce French words (and names) the French way because that's the only way I've ever said them, and that's how they sound in my head. I started learning French when I was 3 (my grandmother is French). No idea if the same applies to Alex, but until I came to this board, it never occurred to me that his pronunciation would be considered unnatural, or put on. I do think he is often condescending to the contestants, though!

Agreed!! Also, his awkwardness with the interviews.

I agree - I don't speak French, but I do recall the pronunciation rules from school and I'm very used to hearing people on TV pronounce French words/names properly. I had no idea it would be considered 'odd'. I do think Alex genuinely enjoys putting on all types of accents, though.

As a semi-related aside - I had to give a presentation today at work, and I was discussing a company with a French name (ending in -ier). After learning how odd many of the people here find it, I wasn't sure if I should pronounce '-ier' in English or French. I ended up going with French since the company itself is French, and luckily that's what everybody else seemed to call it too.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, HansMoleman742 said:

Two things I never had to learn in school - Mythology and Shakespeare!  This show even loves to work these 2 categories into other categories.  In the past few weeks "Planets" was really a Mythology question.  And "Plays" was actually a Shakespeare only two days after an actual Shakespeare question.

I feel that a lot, maybe 10%-15% of the clues are movies and TV shows. They work these into all different categories not just TV Shows and Movies. If you don't know TV shows and Movies you won't do well. If you pay attention, not a game goes by with at least  5-10 clues about TV and movies! 

• Love 1

I guessed my way into a correct FJ answer just like the new champ did. Did it sound to anyone else like she said "Their Eyes Are Watching God" (instead of "were")? I thought we were going to have yet another correction/adjustment.

I would love for the presence of female contestants to be unremarkable to you, Alex, but then we had another Women Authors category today, so I won't hold my breath.

Edited by dcalley
added bold
  • Love 6

Kirstin bugged me from the outset, so of course, she won.

Since when is the term "bulls eye" alliterative?  Again, with the "Women Authors".  Aarrgghh!

I got sucrose, Tree of Life, and the missed DD of John Jacob Astor.

I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AuntieL said:

I just blurted out the answer on a whim and was surpised I was right! 

I remembered something about Captain Cook and Hawaii, so that's what I came up with too. Also, I don't know many other anthems besides that, the Star-Spangled Banner, and La Marseillaise. 

Speaking of which, I thought the clue might have been about the anthem contained in the 1812 overture.  

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Kirstin bugged me from the outset, so of course, she won.

Since when is the term "bulls eye" alliterative?  Again, with the "Women Authors".  Aarrgghh!

I got sucrose, Tree of Life, and the missed DD of John Jacob Astor.

I was clueless for FJ.

I think the alliteration is "bullseye beet". I hate beets. 

• Love 6

I thought what would the Queen of Hawaii want as a national anthem?  Oh yeah, probably God Save the Queen.  Total guess.

I'm glad the guy in the middle didn't win.  I don't even know why I didn't like him.  I was ok with either of the ladies, but that seemed like a really stupid FJ wager on Kristen's  part.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

This is shallow, but the new champ is super cute! If I were a nerdy man (instead of a semi-nerdy straight woman), I'd be totally into her. I had no clue for FJ so her right answer impressed me, too.

If we're being shallow, the best looking contestant this week was Lauren on yesterday's show: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chicagoinc/ct-jeopardy-recap-lauren-michniacki-20170207-story.html

• Love 1

I thought the guy said Amy Fan, so I'm glad they took back the points.

I guess the only TS I got was Astor. Generally, furs = Astor.

Instead of sitting duck, I said clay pigeon. I can't remember what the wording in the clue was, but the definitions seem similar. Sitting duck is "a helpless or easy target or victim," and clay pigeon is "a person in a situation likely to be taken advantage of by others." So I'm not sure if my answer would have been accepted.

I knew the movie Recount but just couldn't recall the title.

OK. I really had no good guess for FJ, but on a whim I decided on Tiny Bubbles. :D

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of sitting duck, I said clay pigeon. I can't remember what the wording in the clue was, but the definitions seem similar. Sitting duck is "a helpless or easy target or victim," and clay pigeon is "a person in a situation likely to be taken advantage of by others." So I'm not sure if my answer would have been accepted.

I think the phrase had to come from hunting. Not sure if clay pigeon fits that? I've never heard that phrase before.

7 hours ago, dcalley said:

I guessed my way into a correct FJ answer just like the new champ did. Did it sound to anyone else like she said "Their Eyes Are Watching God" (instead of "were")? I thought we were going to have yet another correction/adjustment.

I would love for the presence of female contestants to be unremarkable, Alex, but then we had another Women Authors category today, so I won't hold my breath.

I also heard "are."  I rewound to listen a second time and still think she said "are."

• Love 5

I remembered the Capt. Cook connection and thought that England had claimed Hawaii for its own, so I got FJ right. I first thought of Russia but realized that would have been Alaska. Also got Astor and sucrose.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I remembered the Capt. Cook connection and thought that England had claimed Hawaii for its own, so I got FJ right. I first thought of Russia but realized that would have been Alaska. Also got Astor and sucrose.

I thought the same thing.  I knew Cook went to Hawaii, and died there, so I just guessed that one. 

I knew sucrose.  There are only so many type of sugar, sucrose, fructose, glucose.   Foods and fruits are usually sucrose. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The entire game was teen tournament level, butbI had no idea for FJ!  I couldn't even make an inspired guess.  Off to look at the flag....

I started to say "Aloha Oe" but something about her being queen made me say "God Save The Queen" instead.  Had no idea that Hawaii's flag has the Union Jack on it, but I did know that Captain Cook may have been the first European ever to visit Hawaii and that he was killed there, so the English connection was in my head already.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I think the phrase had to come from hunting. Not sure if clay pigeon fits that? I've never heard that phrase before.

A clay pigeon is a thing that people shoot at -- you know, they say, "Pull!" and it's propelled up into the air to be shot at. I guess that wouldn't be considered hunting.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I thought what would the Queen of Hawaii want as a national anthem?  Oh yeah, probably God Save the Queen.  Total guess.

I'm glad the guy in the middle didn't win.  I don't even know why I didn't like him.  I was ok with either of the ladies, but that seemed like a really stupid FJ wager on Kristen's  part.

That's exactly how I got FJ too.

I was rooting for Carl since I am from NOLA also. 

Figured Jody would be a one and done, but she seemed to be very pleasant and I loved her story about acing the post office exam while her boyfriend at the time failed.

Kirstin bugged, so naturally she is the new champ. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

I would have written down "Return of the King" immediately and then spent the entire rest of the time second guessing myself.

I can sort of understand not knowing Little Buddy, but everyone missing piscatology is inexcusable.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

Why is Silence of the Lambs wrong?

Silence of the Lambs isn't a sequel - it has a sequel and two prequels, but it was the first one to be released, wasn't it?

I liked the newspaper category! I got Oman, Mycroft, Quebec City, B3, fishing and cryobiology. I wonder if they would have accepted 'El' for 'Eleven'. Pheromones was pretty easy for a DD. I was impressed with Kirstin's vocabulary, though Kate's loss was painful. I probably would have written "LOTR" as an abbreviation, knowing how little time was left, but it's easy to say that from my couch.

• Love 3

Awwww, I wanted Kate to win.  Was Kirsen chewing gum?  Did she have a mint in her mouth?  I kind of looked like she was repositioning something in her mouth after every answer.  

Like Kate, I don't think I would have had time to write FJ -- I wonder if they would have accepted just Return of the King?  As for Silence of the Lambs, was it a sequel?  To what?

Too many TS in DJ!  I got Scarecrow, Little Buddy (I guess Gilligan was before their time?), Ecology, San Francisco, and fishing.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

As for Silence of the Lambs, was it a sequel?  To what?

Too many TS in DJ!  I got Scarecrow, Little Buddy (I guess Gilligan was before their time?), Ecology, San Francisco, and fishing.

I see ChiefWiggum came up with the answer first, so I'll add: Manhunter, released in 1986, was the first film to feature Hannibal Lecter helping out an FBI agent. It was based on Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, who also wrote Silence of the Lambs. (The original title was changed because it sounded too much like a Kung Fu movie.) I wonder what would have happened if someone had come up with it.

I knew all of the above TS's but had no idea about FJ. All I could think of was The Color of Money, which won Paul Newman a long-overdue Oscar but did not get Best Picture. My mind did not go to LotR. I think of the LotR films as three parts of one story, rather than a story with a follow-up.

• Love 1

Poor Megan looked like she was going to cry when Alex told her she wouldn't be around for FJ. And I noticed it too, that Kirsten seemed to be chewing on something in her mouth. Either that or she has a nervous tic of some kind. I had a laugh when I heard she lived on Caladesi Island, that's just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live.

FJ stumped me today, but got several TS. S. Africa, Oman, scarecrow, Mycroft, ecology, San Francisco and fishing.

• Love 3

"Silence of the Lambs" was a book sequel, but movie-wise, I'm pretty sure there was no connection between "Manhunter" and the Demme movie. Different studios, different directors. Just two movies that happened to be adapted from the same book series. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

People don't know Gilligan was the Skipper's little buddy anymore? Wheel me off to the nursing home.

• Love 8

Wow, it was the Battle of the Mean Girls tonight.  Unfortunately, poor Megan was the only pleasant contestant.  Kirstin got pissier and pissier because Kate was doing well.  I thought she was going to suck the inside of her cheeks off with that sourpuss look of hers.

Lots of TS's.  I got Denmark, South Africa, scarecrow (missed DD), Buddy, ecology, San Francisco, and fishing.

I knew FJ was one of the Lord of the Rings movies, but I've never watched them or paid much attention to them so didn't know which one.

• Love 6

I was rooting for Kate too. FJ stumped me. I knew it wasn't The Empire Strikes Back but figured it had to be some kind of adventure franchise. LOTR just didn't come to me.

For TS I got South Africa, The Cars, Little Buddy and fishing. I'm really surprised Kirsten missed the scarecrow DD.

My cold dead heart has little sympathy for contestants that don't make it to FJ. I think that at some point you should stop ringing in if you're unsure. Missed guesses just dig you deeper into the hole.

• Love 3

I knew FJ was a Lord of the Rings movie but couldn't remember the subtitle.  I actually liked all of the contestants today and I thought Kate would pull it off.  She almost did.  The two "mean girls" (thanks Carpe Diem) were both out to win.  I liked Megan's celestial top, too.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Poor Megan looked like she was going to cry when Alex told her she wouldn't be around for FJ.

I felt so bad for her. It's got to be frustrating to not make it into FJ.

2 hours ago, rubaco said:

People don't know Gilligan was the Skipper's little buddy anymore? Wheel me off to the nursing home.

Let's get a tandem wheelchair.

I got scarecrow, buddy, San Francisco, and fishing. LOTR didn't occur to me for FJ. I thought about the Star Wars series, knew none of those movies won, and then just gave up trying to figure it out.

• Love 2

I had high hopes for Kate and her shiny hair. Loved that she is a history teacher & ran the Slamilton category. I guess we are stuck with Kirstin for at least another day, but I too was impressed with her vocabulary. I think her mouth move was a tic/affect, not gum. 

Not sure I would have had time to write the entire FJ answer once I realized that a LOTR sequel won BP & not the 1st movie in the series, so I felt for Kate. 

Poor Megan!  

• Love 1

Whoa. Gilligan's Island wasn't "before my time," but I was more into shows like Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Twilight Zone. I kind of know the song, so I can name the characters, but not stuff like little buddy.

FJ totally stumped me and I bet all my imaginary money because -- damn-it-all -- the Oscars is one of "my" categories.

• Love 3

I got Sambuca! My grandfather was from Sambuca di Sicilia so I liked that clue. I got Denmark (my Danish friends never stop talking about Tuborg beer) , LIttle Buddy, Ecology, Scarecrow.

I've been keeping track of TV/movie clues to see if my theory that they are in every show is correct. First half the show there were none, so there was a TV category in Double Jeopardy. Last night we had TV movies. I would study TV intensely before going on this show, especially Netflix and BBC shows.

• Love 3