Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I only got Athens to Rome. I was mad I wasn't able to remember Robert Graves.

For FJ I guessed William Pitt, though I was probably thinking of William Penn, which was wrong anyway. I don't think I've heard of Oglethorpe, or I don't remember him. 

• Love 3

I admired Valerie's hair and jewelry from the start, but she really had me with the way she answered Alan Rickman in the movie presidents category. She obviously has great taste in actors as well as necklaces. 

• Love 14

I loved the New Brunswick category - I went to university in New Brunswick! Can't believe Alex accepted Frederictown in the first place, and was very distracted waiting for the correction (Fredericton) to come.

I had no idea for Final Jeopardy. That is a piece of US history I never heard before. Very interesting! This is why I love Jeopardy.

• Love 4
On ‎01‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

honestly have no idea if I've heard of Bloemfontein before tonight. 

I wouldn't know it, except it was one of the locations for the 2016 World Cup in South Africa.  Didn't know it was one of the capitals, though.

1 hour ago, Fex said:

I loved the New Brunswick category - I went to university in New Brunswick! Can't believe Alex accepted Frederictown in the first place, and was very distracted waiting for the correction (Fredericton) to come.

I said Frederictown - oops!

I'm decently versed in Australian history, and knew that the British government started sending convicts there after they could no longer send them to Georgia, but I couldn't remember whether it was James Oglethorpe or James Ogilvy.  I said Ogilvy, then changed it to Oglethorpe, then back, etc.; not sure if I ended up on Oglethorpe in time.

The TS I remember that I got were stollen, coarse, greasy and sextant.  It surprised me a bit that no one knew sextant.

I'm a naval history buff, so I knew sextant, but I remember being surprised about the date of its invention when I first read it.

I was surprised nobody got Alexander Graham Bell.

I thought of him (after the FJ of my game, he has been my personal nemesis) but went with Marconi for some reason.

To be fair, the clue was about "once tapped" by a government agency to work on a unique message. That's a little sketchy by the Jeopardy! writers. BTW, has anyone ever heard NASA called the N-A-S-A as opposed to NAS-uh?

Ironically, the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Raj gets to write just such a message ran last week.

Magic Bus was an instaget since my best friend is a huge Who fan.  I got Robert Graves as well, but am deeply ashamed of myself for not being able to come up with Robert Goddard.  I knew who they wanted but could not drag the name out of my brain.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I got Robert Graves as well, but am deeply ashamed of myself for not being able to come up with Robert Goddard.  I knew who they wanted but could not drag the name out of my brain.

I got hung up on Robert Oppenheimer, who I knew was the wrong person, but his name got stuck in whatever neuron I was reserving for "scientist + Robert" yesterday, and wouldn't budge.  

• Love 1

I also said William Penn for FJ because: a. he was all I came up with and b. Penn (pen) = jail.  Not one of my best thoughts.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Scott said:

I got hung up on Robert Oppenheimer, who I knew was the wrong person, but his name got stuck in whatever neuron I was reserving for "scientist + Robert" yesterday, and wouldn't budge.  

I forgot the category and said Werner von Braun.  If I'd remembered the category, I might've come up with Goddard.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

What a funny (odd not humorous) comment from Alex about stay at home people, insinuating they were prisoners. Obviously he's never been a stay at home parent. Plus they both had occupations so they must have interaction with others during the course of the day. I'm sure they don't consider themselves "locked up."

Yeah, that's the sort of joke we SAHMs can make amongst ourselves, but if someone else says it, ehhhhhh.

• Love 2

[small voice]  I'm probably a bad person for not liking Lisa, but I've been a bad person for a lot worse, so there you go.  I understand feeling privately happy when your opponent biffs an answer, but smirking strikes me as unseemly. I was really rooting for her to lose today. [/end small voice]

• Love 6

I don't know what it is about Lisa but she bugs the heck outta me.  Almost as much as missing all but the end of Jeopardy! because of a stupid press conference.

The TS I got were Izaac Walton and "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

Yeah, how else do you pronounce septuagenarian?  Perhaps in a creaky old voice with a French accent?   http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/pronunciation/american/septuagenarian

FJ was an instaget.

GMTA, @Mondrianyone.  I'm glad to see another Lisa non-fan.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

[small voice]  I'm probably a bad person for not liking Lisa, but I've been a bad person for a lot worse, so there you go.  I understand feeling privately happy when your opponent biffs an answer, but smirking strikes me as unseemly. I was really rooting for her to lose today. [/end small voice]

And she begins her stories with "So..."

• Love 5

I got Golden Rule, Rive Gauche, and Izaak Walton. I was one second late in saying System of a Down. (I forgot the category.) I also said scrim instead of flat for the theatrical scenery back, and I think I would have been right.

I blew it on FJ. I said Audrey Hepburn. I didn't realize Katherine H had made so few films during that period.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

TS I got were Golden Rule, Bali, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ireland, and Mafia.

FJ was an instaget.

Lisa doesn't bother me.

I also knew Rive Gauche (surprised no one else tried after Lisa said Rive Droite), Izaak Walton, and extemporaneous. I did not think credit should have been given for "septagenarian", since that pronunciation threw off the number of letters.

I agree that FJ was relatively easy and I don't find Lisa annoying. 

Golden Rule and For Whom the Bell Tolls were two ts's that surprised me very much. I also got Ireland, mafia and Rive Gauche and Isaak Walton was on the tip of my tongue.  Instaget FJ.

Lisa doesn't bother me because I barely notice her.  Unless they are particularly annoying or otherwise notable they are just the means of getting the questions out.

• Love 3

I had the wrong Hepburn, like one of the players. 

With the one guys "trivial pursuit" anecdote, I am betting his girlfriend said she wanted something more than to "make out" to get the game over with, but they cleaned it up for TV. 

• Love 4

Also one of the commercials they always show I keep wondering about.  The vitamin that is "certified gluten and GMO free".  Honestly wasn't aware that was a problem with vitamins.  Really not sure why there would be gluten or GMOs in a multivitamin.  I am sure there are supplements with them in it, but just a general multivitamin, is that really something to watch out for with them? I've never paid attention. 

• Love 2

Lisa would be OK with me if my TV had a button to lower the pitch of voices. Her voice is high pitched, and she often raises the pitch at the end of a sentence even if it is not a question. I find high pitched sounds very irritating, so I need to keep the volume low. Closed captions don't work well so I'm missing a lot of the show until she goes away.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

And she begins her stories with "So..."

The minute she did, I thought, "oh, there'll be comments in the forum for sure." To be fair, "so" is typically a deal breaker for me as well, but I like her a lot for her enthusiasm, so still like her in spite of it.

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

So do tell Alex, what is the correct pronunciation of septuagenarian.  And how could nobody know "For Whom the Bell Tolls?"  I can't believe that was a $2,000 clue.

The mister and I have a habit of listing possible answers when they announce the category (then being supremely pleased with ourselves when our answers come up) - For Whom the Bell Tolls was the first thing I said. I think I got another one that way, but I don't remember that one. Only that I thought it was too easy for a $2,000 clue - apparently not.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

IIRC, the clue specified a 4 letter word. 

Thanks. I was wondering if I missed something like that. I'd never heard 'flat' as being another word for 'scrim'.

32 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also one of the commercials they always show I keep wondering about.  The vitamin that is "certified gluten and GMO free".  Honestly wasn't aware that was a problem with vitamins.  Really not sure why there would be gluten or GMOs in a multivitamin.  I am sure there are supplements with them in it, but just a general multivitamin, is that really something to watch out for with them? I've never paid attention. 

I found this:

Many supplement manufactures process multiple products in their facilities.  Often times, grain is used as a filler or additive.  Wheat germ is a common example of a gluten based ingredient being used in supplement processing.  This same problem can be seen in a number of prescription and over the counter medications. 

I also read that most multivitamins are gluten-free and that you need to check the ingredients just to make sure.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks. I was wondering if I missed something like that. I'd never heard 'flat' as being another word for 'scrim'.

That reminds me - it's been a while since I was actively involved on a stage - but I thought accepting "lights" for props was wrong. Yes, a light (like a lamp) can be a prop of the sort they specified (I forget the term they used), but all props of that sort are not lights. Seems like this would be a "be more general" answer. When I hear "lights" regarding the stage, I think of the overhead lighting, not the props.

• Love 11

When I saw the category title, I knew Fever Pitch would be one of the clues for The Sport's Book, and I knew someone would go with that abomination of a American movie and say baseball.  If you ever want to understand how an Englishman feels about his football club, read that book.  It also encapsulates the joy/despair of being an Arsenal supporter, especially this season.

I almost ran the John Donne category, but stupidly said James II instead of James I; don't know what I was thinking.  I got Rive Gauche, Walton, extemporaneous, Golden Rule and Ireland.  I said Katharine Hepburn right away for FJ, then spent the rest of the time trying to second guess myself but stayed with my first answer.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister and I have a habit of listing possible answers when they announce the category (then being supremely pleased with ourselves when our answers come up)

We do this too!  We do especially well when it come to categories involving TV shows.

Her voice is high pitched, and she often raises the pitch at the end of a sentence even if it is not a question.

Yes ... slightly annoying.

I appreciate the fact that she bets a lot to win.  My father has said many times over the years "Female contestants don't bet enough in Final Jeopardy!"

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The minute she did, I thought, "oh, there'll be comments in the forum for sure." To be fair, "so" is typically a deal breaker for me as well, but I like her a lot for her enthusiasm, so still like her in spite of it.

The mister and I have a habit of listing possible answers when they announce the category (then being supremely pleased with ourselves when our answers come up) - For Whom the Bell Tolls was the first thing I said. I think I got another one that way, but I don't remember that one. Only that I thought it was too easy for a $2,000 clue - apparently not.

I never paid attention to "so" until I read how much it annoys some posters here, and now that I am aware of it, it annoys me too. "So"...thanks! lol

59 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

We do this too!  We do especially well when it come to categories involving TV shows.

Yes ... slightly annoying.

I appreciate the fact that she bets a lot to win.  My father has said many times over the years "Female contestants don't bet enough in Final Jeopardy!"

Hubby & I also try to anticipate answers, and yes, we are way too pleased with ourselves when they come up. 

I also like that Lisa makes gutsy wagers!

• Love 3

I was surprised that "sept-agenarian" was accepted as well.  Wikileaks, if you're ever looking for a project, release the official Jeopardy! judges' handbook, so we can finally make some sense of this game.

FJ was pretty straightforward, at least for me.  I spent most of the time trying to figure out what the four movies were (I could only remember the two of them for which she won).  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Most corn and soy are GMO. Many cereal boxes mention genetic engineering in fine print at the bottom of the side panel. Here is an NPR article about cereals that lost some vitamin content when they went GMO-free, so maybe it's harder to make GMO-free multivitamins, too.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

When I saw the category title, I knew Fever Pitch would be one of the clues for The Sport's Book, and I knew someone would go with that abomination of a American movie and say baseball.  If you ever want to understand how an Englishman feels about his football club, read that book.  It also encapsulates the joy/despair of being an Arsenal supporter, especially this season.

There's also a Fever Pitch movie with Colin Firth.

Merriam-Webster lists more than one pronunciation for septuagenarian.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Most corn and soy are GMO. Many cereal boxes mention genetic engineering in fine print at the bottom of the side panel. Here is an NPR article about cereals that lost some vitamin content when they went GMO-free, so maybe it's harder to make GMO-free multivitamins, too.

There's also a Fever Pitch movie with Colin Firth.

Merriam-Webster lists more than one pronunciation for septuagenarian.

Yeah, I've seen it.  It involves the correct sport, but is too focused on the relationship with the girlfriend.  The book is about Nick Hornby's relationship with Arsenal Football Club, and how that impacts every aspect of his life.  Colin Firth was miscast - Mark Strong, who played the main character's friend, would've been a much better choice.  Still, no Jimmy Fallon mugging all over the place, so Yay!, I guess.

And now that I've got my Roger Ebert moment out of the way: I have no problem with the current champ.  For the moment, anyway.  It doesn't bother me that she started her story with "So"; I'd never noticed that about any contestant until it got talked about here.  Oh well, we all have things that bug us which don't bother others, so . . . ;-)

I'd only ever heard septuagenarian pronounced the way the contestant did, and was surprised when Alex hesitated.  Apparently it's consistent with the UK pronunciation, according to the Cambridge English Dictionary.  Funny, I don't believe I've ever heard it pronounced by someone who's English.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I've also only heard septuagenarian pronounced as the contestant did, and hearing the supposed US pronunciation on Cambridge English Dictionary just seems wrong.  (Fort hose who are curious: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/septuagenarian )

I hesitated on the golden rule because I wasn't sure if they were looking for a single word or a phrase.  I sometimes forget they play the phrase game in rhyming categories.  Unlike the contestant, I did not hesitate with System of a Down though.  AT probably thinks that band is "after their time."

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Totally off-topic, but the painkillers in my office are now labeled that they  have I think dairy in them -- turns out one of my coworkers is allergic. Pills have to be made up of something, I guess!

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

A flat is what you make the set walls (e.g.) out of -- a scrim comes down over the front of the stage and is more or less see-through. If that's what you were wondering about. 

• Love 4

Dammit, Amanda!  I was counting on you to beat Lisa, whom I'm now actively rooting against.  I can't stand the way she acts flabbergasted when she gets ruled incorrect.

I got Willie Nelson (Stardust is fabulous, BTW), thermal (missed DD), Cape Horn, craps and Praetorian Guards.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

10 minutes ago, just prin said:

Washington, Tin Man, Paul B.--DJ. Aaaarrrgggghhh!

No kidding!  Teen or Kids Tournament level.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, just prin said:

Washington, Tin Man, Paul B.--DJ. Aaaarrrgggghhh!

Those were some Kids' Week level clues.

I am ashamed to say that I got stuck on the White House being burned in the War of 1812 and couldn't get past that. Once the answer was revealed - d'oh! In my defense, both 1812 & 1964 were before my time..lol

I swear I thought Lisa has been introduced as a marine biologist; today was the first time I heard microbiologist. Guess I need to have my hearing checked. 

• Love 4

I sat there staring at the FJ clue for several seconds, thinking something along the lines of some type of 'revolution' but that didn't fit. Then I looked at the category, sat there for about three more seconds, and burst out laughing as the lightbulb went off. I thought it was (very) funny.

• Love 3

I got British Invasion by concentrating on 1964 and the "music" part of the clue.  I got craps, Cape Horn, Paul Bunyan, and thermal. I agree there were some very easy clues tonight. I said Cicero instead of Seneca and I was mad to be ruled wrong! Totally flabbergasted, lol.

My biggest concern was the player in the middle with all her squinting. The lady needs glasses!

Edited by operalover
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

A flat is what you make the set walls (e.g.) out of -- a scrim comes down over the front of the stage and is more or less see-through. If that's what you were wondering about. 

Thanks. No, I wasn't exactly wondering that. I just thought they were the same thing. Once, I was ignorant; now, I'm informed. :)

In addition to FJ, I got Willie Nelson, Ernest Hemingway, and Jerry Lewis. What a combo! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, operalover said:

I got British Invasion by concentrating on 1964 and the "music" part of the clue.  I got craps, Cape Horn, Paul Bunyan, and thermal. I agree there were some very easy clues tonight. 

It did seem like the whole game was on the easy side. Especially the clue for pi/pie - there were about ten clues stuffed in that clue!

• Love 2

I can't believe not a one knew Willie Nelson.

As a Texan that made me sad! I laughed out loud at the Reba McEntire guess. I ran the country album category and was scared they wouldn't get to it, lol.

I loved Lisa at first, but am a little tired of her up-talking. 

Edited by chewycandy
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, operalover said:

I said Cicero instead of Seneca and I was mad to be ruled wrong! Totally flabbergasted, lol.

Your guess was still better than the contestants'. At least Cicero was Roman. Socrates and Aeschylus were Greeks. I agree with others that the game was on the easy side, but Seneca could be tough for a non-classicist. I did my thesis on him, so he was an instaget for me.

• Love 5