Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Lion And The Rose 2014.04.13

• Start Topic

He wasn't implying that Jaime is closeted. He was just pointing out that no matter how much you fuck your sister, you can't marry her (unless you were a Targaryen).

Yes.  As I said, I misheard and was confused.  The (correct) version Sukenya relayed makes a LOT more sense.   

Fun to see Oberyn cut her down to size very methodically.

Oh man, in all my excitement about Joffrey's death, I'd forgotten about this part. I loved it. Oberyn, please stay forever.

• Love 3
Getting away from the "who done it?" Speculation, there were two small moments that kinda ripped my heart out this episode 1) Loras gets up and leave during the mini War of the five Kings, apparently upset at the way Renly was being ridiculed.

Renly wasn't the only one being ridiculed, Dwarf Renley was riding a horse with blond locks, curiously similar to Loras's.

Was there ever a more lustful flirty gaze than the one Oberyn gave Loras?

Few things

Adios, Jerkfry.  Guess that's what severe twin inbreeding does for a lad...

When Joffrey chopped up the book, I think that was the final straw for many.  Unfortunately, his mother and 'grandfather' couldn't appreciate what was lost, but I could see that Tyrion would die a bit inside... a tome of that value completely destroyed.

I wondered if the mother of Stannis' daughter is hoping to bait Melisandre into harming her daughter in hopes of turning Stannis away from her - finally.  I can also see that she would revile a daughter for not having been a son, thus her husband's 'need' to find someone who could give him one. 

Oberyn - the cutting dialog with him is always fun and deep. 

I am hoping that Arya gets Tywin at least. 

And with regards to the poisoning - remember when Dany was being that in order to 'conquer a land, she must know it'?  He'd stated that the blue rose (forgetting a lot of names and such here this very early Monday morning - post GoT episode) was used to poison.  The necklace was blue.  Joffrey was poisoned.  I am wondering if Olenna planned this with the knight, Dontas.  I suspect his family may have known hers or some inter-mingling thereof.  I believe that the beads were really amulets of the poison, and Olenna knew this.  Suspicious, to me at least, that Olenna is looking for a suitable necklace for Margery, and here Dontas comes up and gives her something from 'his mother' - the only thing he has left from his family.  Not recalling (and will have to rewatch) the necklace Margery wore, but I hardly doubt it was as nice as Sansas looked on her. 

Very sorry Tyrion is the fall guy.  Part of me wondered if Cersi did this to her own son (Tywin's chant: all for the good of the family) to insure that Margery doesn't become queen.  She'd told the one guy (cannot recall his name) that the queen just gave him an order to feed the hounds with the leftovers.  Not the former queen regent, as everyone was so want to describe her this episode.  Joffrey and Margery did not consumate their marriage.  I believe that would usurp the plans for who would actually be queen. 

I could be wrong on all of this :-)  Just my thoughts and observations.  Going to continue reading the threads so I can look for a lot more tonight when I rewatch :-D

Is Tywin really going to allow Cersei to hold Tyrion responsible? I doubt he thinks that Tyrion, good little Tyrion who's so far rolled over for the good of the family every time Tywin has asked, actually assassinated his own nephew. And having your son in prison just LOOKS bad.

Is Brienne really supposed to be in love with Jamie? I hope not--that's not the vibe I get and I hope the show isn't presenting that as fact. I like them much better as colleagues and road buddies. She keeps him honest.

Edited by CeeBeeGee

I wouldn't put it past Tywin Lannister to off his own grandson; he was probably as sick of little Joffrey Bieber as everybody else (except Cersei). 

Loras was right, Jamie can't marry his sister, sorry, he can only fuck her. 

Cersei is getting what she deserves, her daughter married off and now her douche-bag prick of a son was poisoned, as Cersei once told Sansa (in season 2 I think) that women only get joy from their children.  Well now Cersei has lost a lot of that joy and I don't feel sorry for her at all.

Here's an odd thought that occurred to me.  What happened to Margaery having the finest necklace available in the city?  Remember Oleanna sending the ladies in waiting out to all the jewelers?  The necklace Margaery wore at the wedding was really sort of plain.  IN fact, it was the plainest thing about Margaery that day.

Edited by terrymct

I wouldn't put it past Tywin Lannister to off his own grandson; he was probably as sick of little Joffrey Bieber as everybody else (except Cersei).

I think that would go against everything Tywin stands for. His whole reason for everything he does is Family First. He explained to Tyrion last season I think that he puts his family first, even to his own detriment, because if he didn't, he would have killed Tyrion as soon as he was born.

Like, I feel bad for Theon (Reek).  Can’t even believe I am saying that after all he’s done.  He’s a psychological mess.  Gee whizz!!!  That man is utterly broken. 

Bran’s story line is just too strange for me.  Trying to find the three eyed crow.  For what purpose?  What is his mission?  Does he even know?  Did Jojen and his sister ever say what this was all about, except for explaining how Bran is a Warg and all.  OK.  Fine.  But after he finds this three eyed crow, then what.  Guess I’ll have to wait and see. 

I hope Shae is really gone.  But you know, I would bet good money that she got off that ship somehow and is still there.  Why is she so insistent on being with Tyrion when she knows it impossible?  But too bad Tryion had to hurt her that way to send her off.  He didn’t mean a word of it, of course, but she would not have left otherwise had he not been so harsh. 

Jamie vs. Loras.  Point goes to Loras.  SNAP!!

Sansa retrieving the cup for Tyrion from under the table was a turning point in their relationship.  At that moment, with the look in her eyes as she handed him the cup, things would have been all right between them after that.  Well, I guess that’s over. 

Lady Olena and Margery killed Joffrey.  I’ll bet any amount of money on that fact.  Margery is legally married to Joffrey.  And now his widow.  She is Queen.  No one is higher than her.   She rules Kings Landing.  I can bet that was the plan all along. 

Joffrey was at the ABSOLUTE PINNACLE of his prick-ness!  We all know he behaves badly, but this took the cake.  No pun intended.  Good bye and good riddance.  I hope Jack Gleeson receives a nomination for his portrayal of King Joffrey.   One of the best acted characters in TV History. 

Cersei has always hated Tyrion.  Now she blames him for Joffrey’s death.  She mistook Joffrey’s last, dying, gesture to be pointing at Tyrion.  Wasn’t Margery and Lady Olena still sitting there as Tryion was bending to pick up the cup??

• Love 1

I thought it was quite odd that Tywin didn't come over to watch the king die himself.  He is the Hand of the King, after all.  I'm going to have to rewatch this ep a few times to see what was going on in the background.

Cersei damn near knocked Margaery down to get to Joffrey. I thought she would have run to him as well, at least to make sure he died if she knew what was going to happen.

Lady Olena and Margery killed Joffrey.  I’ll bet any amount of money on that fact.  Margery is legally married to Joffrey.  And now his widow.  She is Queen.  No one is higher than her.   She rules Kings Landing.  I can bet that was the plan all along.

Joffrey was at the ABSOLUTE PINNACLE of his prick-ness!  We all know he behaves badly, but this took the cake.  No pun intended.  Good bye and good riddance.  I hope Jack Gleeson receives a nomination for his portrayal of King Joffrey.   One of the best acted characters in TV History.

I agree with that.  I can see Olena and Margery killing that little shit; I mean would you want your daughter/granddaughter/sister/aunt/mother marrying that? 

I noticed Cersei nearly knocking Margaery down too and for one little second I felt sorry for Cersei, and then it passed, like bad gas. 

Cersei has always hated Tyrion.  Now she blames him for Joffrey’s death.  She mistook Joffrey’s last, dying, gesture to be pointing at Tyrion.  Wasn’t Margery and Lady Olena still sitting there as Tryion was bending to pick up the cup??

Most definitely.  From the first time that Sansa told them what a monster Joffrey was, it was obvious that Lady Olenna was not about to let him hurt her granddaughter.  And last week when Margery was openly expressing her disgust at Joffrey, the plan had probably already been finalized.  Well played, ladies. 

Edited by sukeyna

I made the mistake of deleting my older GoT episodes. Can someone tell whether the necklace that Olenna tossed over the balcony two-? episodes ago (as not being good enough for Margery's bridal outfit) is the same necklace that Dontas gave to Sansa?

I think Lady Olenna is a prime suspect, but not Margaery.  Remember that when Robert was killed, the crown passed to his son not his wife.  Cersea was Queen Regent because her son was underaged.  She wasn't the ruler in her own right.  Margaery will have a title but the crown passes to the next in line.  Has to be Tommen, unless Stannis is able to grab it.

Basically, all of Margaery's plans to the the Queen of all Queens have been trashed.  All she can do is play palace politics and maybe try to marry whomever the next man to wear the crown.   She had nothing to gain in Joffrey's death and a whole lot to lose.  

Her grandmother, on the other hand, could very well be involved.  She could protect her granddaughter from a life with an obviously deranged man who would likely hurt her.  Olenna could also protect the Tyrell money by breaking off the two weddings without appearing to do so herself.

• Love 1

“I think Lady Olenna is a prime suspect, but not Margaery.  Remember that when Robert was killed, the crown passed to his son not his wife.  Cersea was Queen Regent because her son was underaged.  She wasn't the ruler in her own right.  Margaery will have a title but the crown passes to the next in line.  Has to be Tommen, unless Stannis is able to grab it.
Basically, all of Margaery's plans to the the Queen of all Queens have been trashed.  All she can do is play palace politics and maybe try to marry whomever the next man to wear the crown.   She had nothing to gain in Joffrey's death and a whole lot to lose.” 

I don’t know how to quote other poster’s comments yet.  Sorry!!

Hmmm.  Well, that is certainly a very good point about who would be next in line.  But I’m thinking that since Robert had already had an heir when he died, perhaps that’s why the crown went to Joffrey.  Since Joffrey and Margaery (thanks for the proper spelling!!)  had no children, heck, they never even consummated the marriage (which may even nullify the marriage in the first place, who knows with royalty) that she would still rule.  I think Lady Olena would have considered all of that, with her crafty self.  But then again, perhaps that’s why Tommen was so prevalent this scene when he barely had any screen time before.  He will now become King and some way or another Margaery will be wed to him. 

And as a mother myself I should feel bad for Cersei, but I felt bad for Jaime.  That is HIS son, too, after all.

Margaery is the King's widow, but she has no leverage to remain Queen.  She has no heirs to secure her position.  Sure, she could be married to Tommen, but he is still a child. Cersei gets to remain Queen Regent unless Tywin decides to shove her out of what little power she has left.

Joffrey was immediately the king once Robert died. I don't think age has anything to do with it. Cersei was the Queen Regent only because her son hadn't married yet and they were waiting for a suitable queen, the prime requirement being able to bear children. I'm thinking that not only does Tommen get to immediately be king, but that Lady O completely thought this through and knows this and intends for Margaery to wed Tommen as soon as possible. Tywin, who's really making the decisions has no reason not to agree with this. All of his alliances and arrangements would remain the same.

As for consummation of the marriage, yeah, I do agree that this may be brought up but I don't think it will mean much "for the good of the realm/family/whatever". It will probably just mean that Margaery is not the queen/without power right now, but will facilitate getting she and Tommen hitched. I'm sure Lady O will bring up already having paid for half the wedding festivities as added incentive that Tywin owes her.

The only enemies Tywin/Lannisters will have left in terms of he not paying any attention to them are Daeny and Littlefinger (who I personally think is the character who gets to take down the Lannisters - all that dialogue over time about the banks and how Littlefinger took out all those loans for the realm.) He left Tywin essentially with the bill while he's off to the Vale to move onto the next part of his plan of world domination. Westeros is in debt (since even Robert's reign as commented by Ned). Littlefinger has been playing the long game the entire time gradually bankrupting the realm. Combined with winter coming, I believe his plan is for the people of Westeros to revolt with little food growing to go anywhere or being burned stupidly, completely destabilizing the economy with the debts he created meanwhile having pocketed a lot of the money which he can continuously pay his own army (Lyssa's...Varys even comments that its the one thing left that he needs to rule) while the other armies of Westeros abandon their posts and allegiances because they're simply not getting compensated anymore. This dissent has already begun as we see with the Brotherhood Without Banners and that poop being thrown at Joffrey. Also it adds a bit of poetic justice for Littlefinger to use the one thing the Lannisters value the most as their undoing. Either it's him or some surprise Reyne that survived and bred. I forget which character, but someone even mentioned once how all these tournaments, weddings, etc. need to be so lavish and entertaining because it serves to distract the masses from their minds wandering towards their own injustices.

Tywin isn't just going to let his plans with the Tyrells vanish. He needs them and the Martells for their money and southern agriculture. So he has to be or get on the same page as Lady O with Cersei+Loras, Tommen + Margaery, Myrcella + whoever/Martell seat on the council.

Speaking of other enemies. I guess Tywin isn't worried at all about the Greyjoys and just a little bit with Stannis. I don't even get who Balon is fighting. As far as I can tell everyone else has been busy fighting everyone but the Greyjoys. He must be just sailing his boats in circles killing fish.

Edited by Tandaemonium

I made the mistake of deleting my older GoT episodes. Can someone tell whether the necklace that Olenna tossed over the balcony two-? episodes ago (as not being good enough for Margery's bridal outfit) is the same necklace that Dontas gave to Sansa?

It was not the same necklace.

• Love 2

Well, I guess it would make sense that Lady Olena had her chess moves all laid out, planning for Margaery to end up married to Tommen.  I agree, that is a win win for everyone.  She's a crafty one, that Lady Olena!!  

He'd stated that the blue rose (forgetting a lot of names and such here this very early Monday morning - post GoT episode) was used to poison.

No -- he said the blue rose was used to make some kind of soothing tea. The red flower was poison.

Tywin isn't just going to let his plans with the Tyrells vanish. He needs them and the Martells for their money and southern agriculture. So he has to be or get on the same page as Lady O with Cersei+Loras, Tommen + Margaery, Myrcella + whoever/Martell seat on the council.

I do believe that the scene earler with Lady Olena and Tywin existed to remind us of exactly that. Kind of a "regardless of what happens later, don't forget why this marriage is happening" for us.

Edited by JTMacc99

After Theon took Winterfell, I was burning to see revenge taken on him.  I don't feel that way now.  This is so painful to watch.  Alfie Allen is doing an amazing job.  I hope there can be some sort of redemption and happiness for him as the story unfolds.  Maybe Jon or the other Stark children (if they survive!) at some point in the future can forgive him. 

I think Sansa knew the sword was made from Ned's Ice.  There was mention made more than once that it was Valyrian steel and I think Ned's sword was the only one of those left.

I just realized something, when Bronn made that comment to Jaime about him passing gold, Jaime threw him a bag of money. So is the assumption that Jaime isn't disowned since he still has access to the Lannister cash flow ? So wouldn't Tywin wonder why Jaime is using Lannister cash all of a sudden.

Also noted that Tyrion set up Shae in a nice house with servants for life, so he may be the lowliest of the Lannisters but he still has access to cash like that. Wouldn't he be scared that Tywin would find out he is setting up his former mistress in a nice lifestyle for life ? Or does Tywin not pay attention to where his money is going.

Without challenging the general theory (the photo evidence is good), Renly supposedly was the clear favourite to win at the time of his death (if Littlefinger looking to jump ship is any indication), so I don't think his death put the Tyrells in a better position.  They just had to scramble to return to the same position they were in before.

I don't believe Joffrey's death leaves the throne to the Tyrells.  Robert's death didn't leave the throne to Cersei.  The new king would be Joffrey's brother (who turned up for the first time in forever, albeit I don't think he had any lines), and his regent would presumably come from his own family, not his sister-in-law's.  I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin takes that job himself this time, unless there's some rule against the Hand also being Regent.

Renly was the favorite as far as numbers go. The Lannisters had Tywin. I suspect that in the minds of many people man who caused the annihilation of a house carries more weight than an untested, charismatic guy. The Lannisters also snaked their way into surviving the transition between Targaryen rule and Baratheon rule. While they are outnumbered, they have proven to be survivors and the average lord might not be so keen to fight against them. 

^^  Well, Tyrion is Master of Coin at the moment, responsible for dispensing the Throne's cash, which I assume means paying all the servants, handing out scheduled allowances to retainers, so he'd certainly make sure that both he and Jaime were amply provided for.  Its the Crown's cash (presumably from taxes and other incoming revenues), not Tywin's.

Edited by joliefaire

Definitely must have been the wine/goblet rather than the pie... that pie was huge and would have presumably been served to many of the guests. Speaking of - how does one bake doves INTO a pie? I love all the little touches that emphasized what a horrible dick Joffrey is (wait, WAS, yay!) - smashing a sword into the pie and killing symbolic doves instead of cutting it like a normal human being.

I liked that aside from Jamie and Cersei, nobody rushed to Joffrey's aid.

Cersei... you're despicable. What's the point of giving the food to the dogs? Just because she couldn't bear the thought of someone doing good for the less fortunate? Or maybe she's hoping that people would find out that Margaery didn't deliver on her first promise as queen?

From Oberyn's conversation with the Lannisters, I feel pretty sure that Myrcella is being treated decently in his lands. At least I sure hope so. He seems like the type who would love some revenge, but not at the expense of innocent children.

Definitely must have been the wine/goblet rather than the pie... that pie was huge and would have presumably been served to many of the guests.

Maybe only that particular section of the pie was poisoned. Either way, no one was going to eat until the king had been served so it's possible no one else had sampled their pie yet. Then they saw what happened to Joffrey and passed on it. The big risk was that Joffrey might have chosen not to have any but Margaery seemed to be steering him in that regard. My money is on her and her mother but I hope they're not going to sit back and let Tyrion take the fall for it.

Fun to see Oberyn cut her down to size very methodically.

It was a thing of beauty. I love seeing anyone shut Cersei up but then again, she's the type that won't respond much in the moment but will come back at you later when you least expect it. Oberyn had better watch his back.

I could watch an entire episode of Oberyn just walking up to various characters, and doing his "Those Lannisters are a bunch of dicks, am I right?" talk, followed by some flirting.  Dude is cracking me up.  I really want a scene between him and Olenna.

YES! I love that he saunters around KL, insulting the Lannisters and hitting on anyone that interests him. His constant addresses to Cersei, reminding her about how she's no longer a Queen with any power were beautifully delivered. I love that dude. I also love that he reminded Cersei that her daughter is in their hands...I don't think he'd stoop to the Lannisters' level but I can't blame him for letting Cersei sweat it a bit that they might! It's almost funny that they would be horrified at someone doing to them the things they do to others.

And...Joffrey. I honestly did not see that coming. That was almost awesome. He suffered a bit, in front of people, and it was a crappy death. The only thing that would have made it truly awesome would have been if people had pointed and laughed at him while he died, just so he'd know that no one liked him, respected him, or gave a fuck about him at all. And that may actually be the most hateful thing I've ever wished upon anyone ever.

Poor Tyrion though. Forced to be Joffrey's cup bearer and then, because of that, accused of murdering him. Bah. That shit better be overturned in the next episode!

If Jaime wants to practice swordplay with his left hand and doesn't want someone who will laugh, why in the hell didn't he recruit Brienne?

Cersei? I hope you're next, you petty, vindictive bitch. May you soon rot in hell beside your inbred asshole son

I'm horrified that they served wedding cake with dove blood all over and in it. Gross! Maybe Joffrey died from some super fast avian flu? ;)

Kudos to Margaery for so often trying to re-direct Joffrey's attention away from cruelty and grand-standing. If Olenna did engineer Joffrey's death, she gets a billion gold stars from me. It's amazing on so many levels, but, to get right down to it: I love the notion that she went through all this and yet killed him so that her granddaughter didn't get stuck with him. Hell, Margie didn't even have to fuck the little psycho! Go Grams!

• Love 1

I may have to go back to find this info: Which Martell was Myrcella promised to?  I don't know why she is so heavy in my GoT obsession and I am trying to wait until this season is over to read the book. 

Trystane Martell. One of Prince Doran's sons.

• Love 1

Wasn't the plate of pie on the table in front of Lady O for a moment before Margery served it to Joffrey? I assumed Lady O palmed the gem with the poison and put it only on that plate.  If so, either Margery knew or Lady O was taking a risk that Joffrey might get Margery to take a bite.

I suspect that several scenarios were planned and the murderer(s) adapted quickly. These are all people that play the game well (except for Joffrey). 

As for Tyrion taking the fall... he is the only suspect that wouldn't have his head removed from his shoulders immediately.  Because nothing surprises me on this show, Tyrion could have been involved. Tyrion just sent Shae, the love of his life, away (we think) to save her life from his father and sister. He's pretty pissed off at Tywin and Cersei.  King Tommen (I assume he is now King) likes his Uncle Tyrion. That will help save Tyrion if it gets really dicey.

I thought it was quite odd that Tywin didn't come over to watch the king die himself.  He is the Hand of the King, after all.  I'm going to have to rewatch this ep a few times to see what was going on in the background.

He did, he just didn't get down on the ground.

I'm not sure why anyone would feel sorry for Jaime here. From everything we've seen, he's just the sperm donor, Cersei was the one who actually loved their monster. Jaime's desperate running isn't evidence of anything more, he still loves Cersei and is commander of the Kingsguard. There's obligation, but nothing for him to mourn over.

• Love 1

I haven't laughed and cheered so much in a long time! Seeing that little asshole writhing and choking was awesome! In the EW recap, the writer said someone should do a tee shirt with Joffrey's sneering face on it, the caption reading "This pie is dry."

If only Joffrey had drank his wine from the vessel with the pestle...

Didn't the chalice from the palace have the brew which is true? ;-)

• Love 3

So I guess the special entertainment was that awful re-enactment with dwarfs, the tension during that scene was palpable. I still don't understand why Tyrion said to pay the 20 gold coins?.

He understood that the only way these dwarves earn a living is humiliating themselves for the entertainment of others.

• Love 1

Correction: someone on tumblr pointed out that Tywin's first move after realizing Joffrey's in danger is to shield Tommen.

tumblr_n41p27y2dp1r6r9a4o1_500.jpg

Then he goes to Cersei and stands by impassively.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 3

Correction: someone on tumblr pointed out that Tywin's first move after realizing Joffrey's in danger is to shield Tommen.

[photo snipped]

Then he goes to Cersei and stands by impassively.

Oh, excellent. Not really surprising though. Tywin knows that Joffrey was bad for the realm. Tywin wants his legacy at all costs but I think he'd prefer it not be a legacy of madness.  Tywin thought quickly to protect the new king. He may or may not have been involved but I'm sure that he prefers this turn of events. 

An interesting bit of symbolism - the wedding gift from Mace Tyrell was a large chalice.  A clue?

Edited by TooMuchCoffee
  • Love 1

What a nice touch. Tywin may be a dick, but at least he's occasionally human.

I really credit Charles Dance for making the screen version of Tywin really come alive for me. I think it's the little moments like this that I enjoy, because it shows how a great actor can, with a simple gesture, add a whole new dimension to a character you thought you knew.

• Love 2

I've started to rewatch and pay closer attention to what is being said as the camera pans to each of the wedding guests.  The priest is saying "curse on anyone that would (something fishcakes) this union asunder" with the camera tight on Lady O's face.  Deliberate?

Here's an odd thought that occurred to me.  What happened to Margaery having the finest necklace available in the city?  Remember Oleanna sending the ladies in waiting out to all the jewelers?  The necklace Margaery wore at the wedding was really sort of plain.  IN fact, it was the plainest thing about Margaery that day.

I think Lady Olenna is a prime suspect, but not Margaery

If you suspicion is correct, then you answered your own question.

Margaery wasn't wearing the necklace from her grandmother..

Instead of a chain or a strand necklace, Olenna selected a choker.

Margaery wasn't wearing anything special (re: necklace).  Sansa had a much nicer one.  One thing I *did* wonder... was Cersi wearing the one that Olenna tossed off the balcony?  Not that it looked *exactly* like it, but it sure was 'in the ballpark'.