Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Lion And The Rose 2014.04.13

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis: 

Tyrion lends Jaime a hand. Joffrey and Margaery host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis loses patience with Davos. Ramsay finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran sees where they must go.

Note: This episode is written by George R.R. Martin.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

Well...dude went out at his most ultimate self.

I need to rewatch and think - this changes so many characters' directions. Marriages, alliances.

Easily one of the best episodes as far as dialogue. Amazing dialogue.

Geeeeeeez. I can't think of many long drawn out awkward scenes on television with so much tension. Good stuff. 

Edited by Tandaemonium

Great ending!  Everyone hated Joffrey. Cersei was the only other one not mortified by the skit.  Much room for speculation. The pie? The goblet? Did Sansa's necklace have poison in it, just waiting for the right time? Who all was in on it?

Made me totally forget the disgusting opening scenes with the Bolton bastard. 

Edited by TooMuchCoffee

So... was it good for you?

I wish I could take credit for this line, but by Dothraki standards, that was a rather dull affair.

True enough. Only one death! piffle.  I thought Joffrey was going to put his new valerian steel to grisly effect for entertainment! Poor Sansa. I wonder if she somehow knew it was once Ice.

Finally.

My Death Wish List

1. Joffrey
  2. Tywin Lannister
  3. Roose Bolton
  4. Walder Frey
  5. Littlefinger
  6. Cersei Lannister
  7. Ramsey Snow
  8. Stannis Barratheon
  9. Melissandra

What an episode.  I was getting seriously depressed until the Great Poisoning happened.  I'm not surprised that Cersei blamed Tyrion for Joffrey's death, but that wine goblet was in front of Lady Olenna!  Poor Tyrion.

Where in the world is Sansa going?  Where is Donto from?  Who is his liege lord?

I don't know how many Ramsey scenes I'll be able to watch.  Ugh. 

I want to punch Roose Bolton in his smug face.  The only positive I could glean from the scene with Theon is that he now knows that it was Roose who stabbed Robb, and the reason Theon is still alive is that he's gonna tell.

Loved, loved Prince Oberyn!  "Hello -- not you."

Jaime and Loras:  "You'll never marry her" -- "Neither will you."  Oh snap!

I've got no use for Jaime Lannister. 

Stannis, WTF?  And his weirdo wife? That red witch better not lay a hand on Shireen.

Nice direwolf-cam, but apparently Bran has been acting like a warg-fiend. I don't understand why the Face Tree told him to go north.  They're gonna run into the Thenn cannibals!

Edited by sukeyna

Well...dude went out at his most ultimate self.

I need to rewatch and think - this changes so many characters' directions. Marriages, alliances.

Easily one of the best episodes as far as dialogue. Amazing dialogue.

Geeeeeeez. I can't think of many long drawn out awkward scenes on television with so much tension. Good stuff. 

OMG yes, the tension!  I was on the edge of my seat because I thought Joffrey was gonna slice somebody, namely Tyrion.

Hopefully to safety, because now Tyrion can't shield her anymore.

Maybe she's getting on the boat with Shae. We can only hope!

Lady Olenna to Sansa (paraphrasing) - killing a man at a wedding is horrid... only a monster would do that.   (Tee hee)

The voice singing at the end - on rewatch sounds like the man singing at the wedding when Joffrey stopped him mid-song.

• Love 1

Finally Joffrey has gotten what he so richly deserves.  I am surprised they killed him so early in the season.

Took me a minute to figure that kid sitting beside Cersei was Tommen, who if I am remembering correctly wasn't seen last season?

So Cersei thinks that Brienne is in-love with Jaime, hmm...interesting? I also noted that Brienne didn't contradict her or clarify that she loves him as a friend.

Jaime, Loras got the last laugh on that one. I did find it interesting that Jaime mentioned that Cersei would essentially abort any child Loras got her with, brought me back to the first season when Cersei mentioned her child with Robert who became ill and died. I wonder if she had a hand in that.

So I guess the special entertainment was that awful re-enactment with dwarfs, the tension during that scene was palpable. I still don't understand why Tyrion said to pay the 20 gold coins?.

Well done show and congrats to Jack Gleeson who really owned this role.

Great ending!  Everyone hated Joffrey. Cersei was the only other one not mortified by the skit.  Much room for speculation. The pie? The goblet? Did Sansa's necklace have poison in it, just waiting for the right time? Who all was in on it?

Made me totally forget the disgusting opening scenes with the Bolton bastard. 

There was a stone missing from the necklace after Lady Olenna "fixed" Sansa's ... hair.  Look to the left-most edge of the necklace where the silver clasp is empty.

Holy crap... I was shaking when that episode was over. So much happened. Not just the big wedding scene but touching bases with the other psychopaths and religious fanatics.

I thought the scene with Bran was a bit clumsy, although the warging scene was pretty good. I'm not sure how he figured out where to go from "search for me under the tree"... There's an awful lot of weirwood trees in the North. 

I think Selyse is even more crazy for R'hollor than Melisandre, and it's going to be hard to ever sympathize with Stannis after the way he's being portrayed. And if I was a little girl, the last person I'd want sitting by my bedside is Melisandre. Creepy.

Edited by MarySNJ

Actually when Stannis wife (whose name I can't remember) was talking about her daughter being sinful, was she implying that they should also set her child on fire to cleanse her soul?

Looks like Ramsey wants his father's love which surprises me considering how creepy he is. Also poor Theon, he is a shell of his former self.

There was a stone missing from the necklace after Lady Olenna "fixed" Sansa's ... hair.  Look to the left-most edge of the necklace where the silver clasp is empty.

Cool. I didn't notice. I followed the goblet and the plate of pie and they were both in front of the Tyrells just before Joffrey's last meal.   Murder on the Westeros Express.

• Love 1

Yes, well, it's all very nice that Ramsey has an awful father too and is all sad because his father doesn't love him, but after he had his dogs EAT a girl he's pretty much lost even the zero sympathy I had for him.

Plus, he's now at the top of 'Worst Person in Westeros" so he has that for compensation.

• Love 4

Lady Olenna to Sansa (paraphrasing) - killing a man at a wedding is horrid... only a monster would do that.   (Tee hee)

I'm with you completely. Just rewatched. That line clinched it for me that it was Lady Olenna's plan. Not sure how yet, but between that and all her and Margaery's pow-wows with Sansa, we know that they know two things: how much of a huge monster Joffrey is and that Sansa is so easy and gullible to suit their plans. Ser Dontas is conveniently there to shoo Sansa away at just the right moment, so he must be part of her plan too - it'll look pretty fishy for Sansa to be missing immediately to all those witnesses. I'm not sure if her plan involves having Sansa and Tyrion as the scapegoats specifically or that it's just the simplest and most convenient for her.

Hmmm. What does she have to gain by targeting Tyrion? She was just talking to Tywin about the banks. Tyrion's the Master of Coin. Who would be next to take over from him? I don't know what her plan could be with that if there is one. I'm pretty sure the Joffrey part of the plan is simply not having her favorite person stuck with such a monster while still keeping all the benefits and deals in place by Margaery's position - so "consolation" marriage to Tommen...like how Ned had to marry Cat when his older brother died. Plus there were the 5+ shots by the cameramen of Tommen. You could see the wheels turning in Tywin's head the entire scene even before the death - he's completely in the zone playing out everything in his head. He'll totally agree with keeping and maintaining all existing deals/marriages/whatever - so definitely Margaery + Tommen marriage.

That leaves Tywin's feelings towards Sansa and Tyrion. He BADLY needs the Lannister name to go on and it's in his best interest for Tyrion and Sansa to get out of this so he can have some Lannister grandkids - also giving him Winterfell and the North (as far as he knows). If he's in on the whole plan, then Ser Dontas is the out as a scapegoat. Even if he's not and only finds out afterwards, he'd still go along with Ser Dontas taking the fall despite his grandson just dying. Everyone wins with Tommen over Joffrey, even Cersei, though this will probably make her an even drunker, crazy and dangerous mess.

I don't think it's the pie any more since Joffrey is fine after taking a bunch of bites into it. He also sipped from the goblet before having some pie and was fine. He clearly hands the goblet to Margaery after reluctantly taking it from not-kneeling Tyrion who sets it down between she and Lady Olenna. That glass is sitting there for all the time Joffrey is scarfing away on pie and giving Tyrion shit about being his cup bearer and he and Sansa leaving. Margaery even points at it for Tyrion to pick up while Lady Olenna looks right at the glass - but that's nothing anyways, since pretty much everyone at the reception would be staring at it anyways. Still, if it's the pie, there's a delay in the poison working, and if it's the goblet, only Lady O and Margaery are close enough to add something to the glass.

Edited by Tandaemonium
  • Love 2

Joffrey's "special entertainment" was about has horrible as one could predict.  Loved how many of the characters were clearly disgusted by it, like Tyrion, Sansa, Varys, Olenna, and especially Margaery.  That just barely beat out Cersei shitting on Brienne and ordering the leftovers to go the dogs instead of the poor, as the biggest asshole move of the reception.

What wasn't though was Joffery dying!  The little shit is dead!!  Props to Jack Gleeson for everything he did.  Just a fantastic performance since the beginning.  Hope he succeeds at whatever he's planning to do next (teaching, I think?)  Of course, Joffery's death, now puts Tyrion into big trouble.  Cersei clearly already believes he was the poisoner.  I doubt Tywin will think otherwise. Jaime might not, but I don't think he really has any sway at this point.  As for who did it, who the hell knows?  I'm sure quite a few people wanted that guy dead.

Ramsey though, is already ready to assume the mantle for Top Asshole of Westeros.  What a psychopath.  And his "girlfriend", or whatever she is, seems to be right up there with him.  Glad we got to see him and Roose interact for the first; that scene clearly explained a few things.

I could watch an entire episode of Oberyn just walking up to various characters, and doing his "Those Lannisters are a bunch of dicks, am I right?" talk, followed by some flirting.  Dude is cracking me up.  I really want a scene between him and Olenna.  Oh, and he really wants Loras to join him and Ellaria for a special after-party, Dorne-style.

• Love 6

What does she have to gain by targeting Tyrion?

I don't think Olenna meant for Tyrion to take the fall. She couldn't have conceived that Joffrey would force Tyrion to be his cup-bearer and handle his drink, therefore putting all suspicion on Tyrion. I think it was just unfortunate luck for him.

• Love 4

True, but I think she would have planned it well enough to cast suspicion on someone in particular so as not to be one herself nor Margaery. She could not have forseen the Tyrion cup-bearer nonsense but it is already pretty well established that Joffrey and Tyrion hate each other, the most public of times being Tyrion's wedding and now the distasteful dwarf reenactment of the war. Even without him conveniently picking up the glass, he would have already been suspect #1. The Sansa/Dontas stuff makes me think she planned it so the two together, or at least one of them, would most likely end up the primary suspect, Sansa also being a close second suspect with high motive.

I need to rewatch last week's episode for the Sansa-Dontas scene and see if that necklace means anything or if it was just thrown in there so when Dontas shows up at the wedding, we're not all "Whodafuq?"

Edited by Tandaemonium

Getting away from the "who done it?" Speculation, there were two small moments that kinda ripped my heart out this episode 1) Loras gets up and leave during the mini War of the five Kings, apparently upset at the way Renly was being ridiculed.

2) The way Jamie desperately runs towards Joffrey. I can already imagine Cersei getting even more irrationally angry at him, for failing to properly protect the King's life.

• Love 4

Oh the sweet satisfaction from this episode! Though I have to say, they were really highlighting Joffery's shittiness throughout the whole episode. Well, they were highlighting his shittiness more so than usual. [The 'entertainment' with the dwarves was revolting, but it was telling looking at the characters reaction to the 'entertainment.'] Man, credit to Jack Gleeson for his spectactular performance. Shame that he will not continue with acting. Just like many others have said, I wish him well in his future endenvours.

I do wonder though, did Sansa know that the new sword was from Ice?

Also, I can't believe I am saying this, but poor Theon. I hope his sister comes for him, and fast!

And I was starting to warm up to Shae, but come on! This girl cannot be this idiotic, or I assume so anyways.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1

TooMuchCoffee, YES!  Murder on the Westeros (Orient) Express is exactly what we said in my living room.  Like, 75% of the people at the head table had a reason to want Joffery dead, plus tons more in the audience.  If it is one culprit, I wonder who done it. 

Cersei and Jamie both showed their asses, didn't they?  Not since the first season did I understand what those two see in each other.  Cersei was just such a piece of work with everyone she interacted with from being a jealous witch to Brienne to undermining Maegery's order regarding the feast food.  Fun to see Oberyn cut her down to size very methodically.  Jamie had his ass handed to him by Loras too after also being a jealous prick. 

Jack Gleason is just awesome in this role!  Like many of you, I've never genuinely HATED a fictional character as much as I did/do Joffrey.  He and Peter Dinklage stressed me out during their long dialogue.  I was just waiting for the stalemate between them to turn violent.  Also enjoyed that anyone who is even remotely decent (Sansa, Tyrion, the Tarells) were just so uncomfortable with Joffrey's display.  The little person play was just so wrong.  Leave it to Cersei to be smirking and smiling at it. 

I'm a pacifist, but damn if I wasn't disappointed Sansa didn't get to off Joffery (unless she did...which WHOA).  After everything he's put her through, she deserved a little Arya-like justice.  Though it's funny that the man she begged Joffrey to save ended up getting her the heck out of dodge.  That's some decent karma on a show that doesn't give you that satisfaction often.

I was really creeped out by Melissandre being in Stannis' daughter's room.  She's evil and dangerous.  Also, I continue to love the small scenes with Ser Davos.  He's the only sane person in that whole portion of Westeros and I adore how much he loathes Melissandre.

• Love 1

When they were doing that awful war reenactment, it looked like the fake horses had people's heads on them.  I saw long hair and thought that was supposed to be Catelyn, and it really got to me. 

Tywin laughed at all Joffrey's cruelty.  I hate him.

LOOOOOOOOOVED Roose's aristocratic smackdown.  "You're not a Bolton, you're a Snow."  Ramsay's a POS, loved seeing him humiliated.  Would love to see someone take him out.

BYE BYE JOFFREY.  King Robb, Grey Wind, Ned, Sansa, Arya, the butcher's boy, Lady and Roz send their regards!  Nice of your assassin to make Arya's life mission is little easier.

That poor girl being hunted at the beginning was one of the two girls last season who "seduced" Theon when he was at the Dreadfort--the female archer was the other one.  I think.

Yes, those were the same two girls from last season.

Poor Shae got the White Fang treatment from

Tyrion.

I can't wait to see Arya's reaction when she learns Joffrey is dead. Will she be just be glad that he's finally gone or will she be mad that she didn't get to kill him herself?

Loved Olenna reminding Tywin that her family paid for half the wedding.

Oberyn and Loras giving each other the eye at the wedding was hilarious!

Mellisandre has another feather in her cap.  One more of her leeches came through for her with Joffrey's death.

Wonderful set for that wedding!  That overhead shot was to die for.

Odd that Jaime had to go there with Loras.  He knows about Loras' sexual orientation. Cersei even mentioned it to him. 

Edited by maraleia
changed preferences to sexual orientation- the word is incorrect terminology

SO I noticed something interesting in the scene where Tyrion sends Shae away (finally, good lord....). On the left of the shot is white, and it has a sort of gradient to black moving to the right. Is this foreshadowing Tyrion's story? Such a shot seemed very purposeful. It was striking and we got to see Tyrion contemplating what he was about to do. Or perhaps it was just meant to reflect his conflict about it. But I think they conveyed that through the use of that shaky cam that seems to be everywhere now. So is this a hint at where he is going? He already seems so much less happy than he did in the beginning of the show. The life was sucked right out of him after the battle at King's Landing.

Some shaky evidence for this could be that if you view Tyrion's story on a timeline, it matches up with his mood. 

Light---------------->Dark

Season 1 was Tyrion at his lightest, and brightest. He was funny, he was full of life, and seemed to have a certain confidence in who he was. "Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you"

Season two he gets to King's Landing and starts to enter the grey area. A bit of the fun is taken out of him, but he's still everyone's favorite imp. He starts to lie, obfuscate, and manipulate because that's what you have to do to survive in King's Landing. And he does thrive. But he also causes hundreds, perhaps thousands, of men to die a terrifying, painful death. He moves down the gradient. At the end of season 2, he only has Shae left and he seems a bit defeated.

Season 3 the life is just utterly drained out of him under the presence of his father. Closer and closer to the (perhaps literal, if I am correct) dark side. 

This leaves me to wonder what horrible things he might do if he reaches that dark side. An intelligent man with a vendetta is not an enemy you want to have...Here's a screenshot for reference. Sorry it's so large, I'm not sure how to resize.

14j6x6t.jpg

• Love 1

When they were doing that awful war reenactment, it looked like the fake horses had people's heads on them.  I saw long hair and thought that was supposed to be Catelyn, and it really got to me. 

The long red hair was Stan riding Mel. As Balon was riding a squid, and Renly looked to be riding the king's own brother-in-law.  The Robb dwarf also had a redhead after the wolf head was knocked off, but I couldn't figure out if that was meant to be hair or blood/brains. At least everyone should know who the five kings were now.

Stannis gets points for defending his daughter, I guess. They're really pushing that as his one redeeming quality.

i kinda loved Jaime desperately running to Joffrey for some reason, seeing he and Cersei crouched there with not even Ser Meryn moving to help. Cersei should chill, doesn't she know Joff could never abide the wailing of women?

• Love 5

So I guess the special entertainment was that awful re-enactment with dwarfs, the tension during that scene was palpable. I still don't understand why Tyrion said to pay the 20 gold coins?.

I think he feels for fellow dwarves, and probably doubted Joffrey would pay them properly (he was throwing coins at the other performers).

I don't think Olenna meant for Tyrion to take the fall. She couldn't have conceived that Joffrey would force Tyrion to be his cup-bearer and handle his drink, therefore putting all suspicion on Tyrion. I think it was just unfortunate luck for him.

I know. You'd think someone would point out that Tyrion wasn't anywhere near Joffrey's cup until Joffrey insisted he come be his cupbearer. Surely he couldn't have planned that!

Shae made me want to slap her again. A woman who started out so worldly and ready to defend herself was talking like she can't believe Cersei or Tywin are dangerous people.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 3

Stannis has gone from "stick up his ass" to intolerant dick. He jailed Davos for talking shit about Melisandre and now he's burning his brother in law alive as a sacrifice to the Lord of Light. The only redeeming quality he has now is that he won't let his wife smack their daughter around.

His wife is becoming a crazy fanatic. Notice she only promised that she wouldn't lay a hand on their daughter. She didn't say anything about letting someone else smack her around.

His wife is becoming a crazy fanatic. Notice she only promised that she wouldn't lay a hand on their daughter. She didn't say anything about letting someone else smack her around.

Becoming? We never saw her before 3.05, but based on that scene I doubt she had far to go when she signed on with Mel.

Edited by Lady S.

I wanted the red sorceress way far away from adorable Stannis' daughter. How awful that her mother hates her own daughter so much, because she hadn't had a son.

I paid special note to Margaery during the wedding. She was smiling a fake smile, pretending to be OK with Joffrey's bad behavior for most of it, but even she couldn't disguise her disgust at the Renley part of the dwarf skit. What a little piece of shit Joffrey is. Make that WAS!! YAY!

Edited by Andromeda

Loved, loved Prince Oberyn!  "Hello -- not you."

sukenya, these were laugh out loud exchanges. I loved the way the scene with Oberyn and Tyrion flowed - they both kept walking, Tyrion wasn't really fazed by it...

The scene with Jaime and Loras was also fantastic on so many levels. Jaime is still protective of Cersei, he still loves her, but he is also pragmatic. Cersei doesn't want the wedding, and will find a way to wreck anything that comes of it. Loras is doing his duty - the Tyrells need heirs like any other house.

I was watching Sansa's necklace but didn't see any rocks missing - I will have to rewatch. I also thought it could have been the cake.

The fantastic thing about GoT is how much they ram into the timeslot, as so much happened this week in King's Landing.

The frustrating thing about GoT is how little they can fit in the timeslot, as I missed Arya and The Hound immensely.

I was watching Sansa's necklace but didn't see any rocks missing

Her necklace isn't really visible during the breakfast (because her hair is down) or the wedding (because we only get one good shot of her when she says, "We have a new queen") so it's possible that the stone was missing all along. It's possible that it's tucked under the neckline of her dress.

I rewatched when Olenna talks to her and she first touches Sansa's braids and then the left side of Sansa's necklace (where the missing stone is) and then touches her right hand to her left hand so she could have been passing it to her other hand. Unfortunately, the scene was edited so immediately after that, you see her left hand on the table. After that, there's a closeup of Sansa and you can see that the gemstone on the far left (your right) is missing. I'm not entirely convinced that this was an elaborate plot hatched by the Olenna, but if it is then I wonder if the gemstone will reappear to point blame towards Sansa.

I assumed that Grand Maester Pycelle was the culprit.  He has fallen out of favor with Cersei and she dispatched him to the kitchen where he could have poisoned the pie or wine.  He obviously hates Tyrion, who sent him to the dungeon.  I'm guessing he poisoned the pie, knowing the Joffrey would take the first bite. 

• Love 1

I was watching Sansa's necklace but didn't see any rocks missing - I will have to rewatch. I also thought it could have been the cake.

I'm impressed how slickly this was edited. Screenshots spoiler'd for size.

EmTc97B.jpg

It's a bit hard to see, but that metallic glint under her thumb is the jewel.

sn3LmrH.jpg

The far right (Sansa's far left) link of her necklace is clearly missing its stone.

Edited by atua
  • Love 1

Finally.

My Death Wish List

1. Joffrey
  2. Tywin Lannister
  3. Roose Bolton
  4. Walder Frey
  5. Littlefinger
  6. Cersei Lannister
  7. Ramsey Snow
  8. Stannis Barratheon
  9. Melissandra

Good list.  I wouldn't have Tywin or Littlefinger on there, though.  Bad guys, sure, but interesting ones.  Unlike Frey or Bolton.

I must have heard that last exchange between Jaime and Loras wrong.  I could have sworn Jaime said "She'll never marry you" then Loras replied "Neither will you."  That confused me.  I think you're right and I misheard.  I thought Loras was implying that Jaime was closeted or something.