Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Lion And The Rose 2014.04.13

• Start Topic

Oh, and Penny -- I'd been looking forward to seeing if she would be introduced, and how. I read that they discovered it's impossible to ride pigs, so a literal interpretation of the book wasn't going to happen. I like what they DID do, but none of the five performers were female.

I couldn't see the face of the one who portrayed "the King of the North", since it was covered. That performer might have been female,

Edited by sev
I think it is entirely possible that Tywin or Cersei have already bought Bronn at this point and he took Shae to Tywin's tower and just told Tyrion he put her on the boat.

When Jaime and Bronn were sparring, Bronn said, “[Tyrion] says you [excrete] gold like your father.”  Jaime tossed him some money to pay for the sparring lessons, but I think that might also have been a clue that Bronn was already on Tywin’s payroll.

Oberyn being awesome, especially when talking to Tywin and Cersei

I enjoyed Tywin during that scene.  Oberyn was being provocative, Cercei was sniping back, but Tywin wouldn’t take the bait from either of them.  He didn’t get mad at Oberyn or annoyed with Cercei, nor did he try to play peace-maker between them.  He basically ignored their behavior, like it was beneath him (which it was).

I couldn't see the face of the one who portrayed "the King of the North", since it was covered. That performer might have been female,

I was also disappointed not to see Penny, but I'll have to rewatch to get a look at the players again.

Many kudos to Jack Gleeson for his fantastic run as Joffrey. He is a seriously talented guy -- he played Joffrey with just the right blend of malice, viciousness, brattiness, and patheticness. And sorry, I know those last two descriptors aren't really words . . . Anyway, I will certainly miss what he brought to the show.

The wedding/poisoning scene was done really well, and I was on tenterhooks waiting for the big moment. I wasn't disappointed.

Tyrion and Sansa's misery throughout the lead-up and the event was palpable. It made me wonder how/if GRRM will reunite them before the end of the series.

I'm excited to see Sansa, Littlefinger, and Lysa at the Eyrie. I enjoyed those chapters in the books immensely.

• Love 1

I too remember it as Bronn being practical rather than betraying Tyrion.  Of all the internal bitching Tyrion did later, I don't recall Bronn being on his shit list. Mostly Jaime and Cersei. 

It didn't hit me much with Dany's similar HOTU visions, but seeing Bran's Iron Throne vision last night (which was similar, if not identical) has made me think a lot.  Was it snow? Meaning Jon Snow will take the Iron Throne? Or just winter will come to King's Landing?  But what I think... I think it wasn't snow. It was ash.  Ash from caches of wildfire being stored around the city that Cersei will set off in book 7.  She'll hurt Brienne or make Jaime choose, and either in his rage or his choice, he'll be the one to strangle Cersei.  But it'll be too late for KL as it burns. 

I do hope they say that Joffrey hired the killer because that's been one of the harder things not to let slip to Unsullied.

Martin basically took his original scene and put it on TV word for word. It helps that it's mostly a bunch of talking. And it was everything I could have hoped for.

In other news, fuck the AV Club newbie reviewer for trying to make people feel ashamed for hating the villain.

What a pleasant surprise! I keep forgetting I'm watching GoT. I was half expecting a filler episode or two before the Purple Wedding finally played out, so when I realized it was ALREADY HERE it made me giddy. So long, Joffrey! I'll miss you, Jack. 

I think there are a couple cuckoos in the unsullied nest.  Someone is a bit too insistent that Olenna did it and is furnishing screencaps.

At least no one has concluded that Littlefinger has his little fingers in the plot.

Edited by Haleth

Hard to say - the Unsullied themselves have speculated their way into some facts that I'm shocked they discovered without reading the books. In the realm of crazy internet fans, people are more observant than you think. I'm watching it closely. If you see something, click the report button and the mods will get on it.

Re: Bronn, I always got the impression that he only "abandoned" Tyrion, but didn't explicitly betray him. I think Tyrion knew that Bronn was loyal up to the point where it didn't cost him his own head.

• Love 4

In other news, I thought it was interesting how Bran saw the Throne Room in pretty much identical state (roof caved in, windows broken, snow all over the place) that Dany saw in the HOTU visions. Considering Martin penned this episode, is that bit of premonition for the whitewalkers reaching KL? Other bits from Bran's vision: it seems we'll meet Coldhands finally (his ravens and a dead walking horse); Ned in the Winterfell godswood, (I think that was from the first season but it seems like we are going to see the "let them grow up as brothers" prayer; a glimpse of 3 Eye Crow actually as a tree.  was afraid they'd dial down the fantasy but it seems with Bran they'll go all the way. 

I think there are a couple cuckoos in the unsullied nest.  Someone is a bit too insistent that Olenna did it and is furnishing screencaps.

I saw that too. I'm only a bit spoiled since I haven't gotten to that point in the books yet.  But I think an unsullied person immediately going to: "Olenna took a gem off Sansa's necklace and poisoned the cup" is way too far reaching for someone completely unspoiled.

I think someone wants to look clever when it's revealed. 

I'd be annoyed if I were unspoiled.

• Love 2

I think someone wants to look clever when it's revealed.

I'd be annoyed if I were unspoiled.

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm actually glad I've already read the books because I think it'd be damn near impossible to not get spoiled on something with GoT.  You'd basically have to never go on the internet/twitter/facebook/etc...

Edited by Izzyboy
  • Love 1

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm actually glad I've already read the books because I think it'd be damn near impossible to not get spoiled on something with GoT.  You'd basically have to never go on the internet/twitter/facebook/etc...

Which is why I've given up. ;-)  Purposely getting spoiled is easier to take than trying my hardest not to be and have someone ruin it on a whim.

Actually, reading some spoilers makes me more excited to continue reading.  I get just enough (Ex: "Penny" - oooh! who's Penny?) to tweak my interest.

Love it. The whole realm is playing Game of Cluedo.

Suspects: Cersei, Ser Dontos, Maergary, Oberyn, Olenna, Sansa, Tyrion, TV-Viewer
Weapons: Doves, Necklace, Pie, Wine
Room: Outside

Really, how hygienic does one expect those doves on the cake to be?

• Love 1

Yeah. I thought the episode definitely gave plenty of hints that Olenna did it, and I have no problem with anyone guessing that.  My father, for instance, who hasn't read the books, guessed her immediately before suddenly changing his mind and saying Varys did it. This is the same guy that keeps complaining that the show doesn't make sense, thinks Dany's name is Khaleesi (we tried to correct him and he said, "No, it's Khaleesi. That's what everybody calls her."), didn't recognize Barristan when he reappeared, was apparently under the impression that Littlefinger is Robert's brother (I don't know where he got this from at all). So - not the most careful of viewers, and even he guessed that before changing his mind.

But going from there to "it was a stone from the necklace" is a stretch, especially since Melisandre's use of the same substance was treated a lot more "magically" in the show, and especially since it was hard to tell that a stone WAS missing - and I was watching for that. 

On the show, the return of Dontos and the appearance of necklace came out of the blue. And Olenna, who was herself invested in necklaces during the previous episode, noticeably fumbled with Sansa's braids.

Purposely getting spoiled is easier to take than trying my hardest not to be and have someone ruin it on a whim.

I think for the most part, bookwalkers aren't doing it on purpose. The non-linear nature of the narrative, the multiple povs, and the fact that since S2 the writers have cherry picked, juggled storylines makes it really difficult to sort of keep it straight in your head what's fair game to talk about, which is why it's such a challenge to talk about this show on the internet.

As far as who the whodunit aspect of this episode, I'm kind of bummed they made it as hard to figure out as they did, the scene with Olenna and the stone from the necklace, I was looking for it and still missed it the first time. And focusing on the pie and dead birds, makes it even more obscure not just who, but how he was poisoned. Knowing Olenna did it was the very best part of Joffrey dying for me, and also a bummer because you realize how easily she sacrificed Sansa in the bargain, but perhaps she still thought Baelish and the Vale was a better circumstance than Lannisters/Kings Landing. Six of one and half dozen of the other really QoT.

I laughed very heartily at Joffrey throwing money at Sigur Ros to shut up, since I find them insufferably pretentious in real life.

• Love 1

I found the scene with Joffrey's performing dwarves so interesting, and so reminiscent of Ned's execution, way back in season 1. It was a longer, more excruciating look at Joffrey's vileness, and also it offered us a longer look at the true feelings various characters have about what he does. Back then, Varys and Pycelle looked pissed and upset that Ned was to be executed, and even Cersei looked upset.

This time, we saw everyone except Cersei and Tommen (interesting choice, there. I think he laughed in the book, but he was much younger) thought that Joffrey's 'entertainment' was tasteless and offensive and cruel. I particularly liked Margaery's look of complete disgust, and Oberyn clearly thinking, 'this family needs to be put to the sword. Completely.' For a moment there, in that shot of him at the wedding, I entertained the idea that he might become the show's redeeming hero. Sadly, this will obviously not happen. Shame, because the guy is the consummate badass.

Turns out Sophie Turner can do the cold, malevolent gaze just as well as Maisie Williams can. She was chilling, as she watched the dwarf pretend to fuck the wolf's head.

As for Joffrey's death, it was a welcome relief, after he spent the entire episode being himself, turned up to 11. And Jack Gleeson deserves an Emmy for his work, in my opinion. When is the last time a TV character was so reviled that he almost completely transcended the show he was on? And it was well crafted that pretty much everyone in the scene had valid reason for wanting him dead, including his grandfather and his mother. Because he was a capricious, venal psychopath, and even Cersei knew it, as much as she hated to admit it.

The rest of the episode? Bran and Stannis are boring, just as they are in the books.

• Love 1

On rewatch it's fascinating to see all the reaction shots during the entertainment and Tyrion's humiliation. Cercei is so insufferably smug. When you know what to look for it's apparent that Olenna does tug a stone from Sansa's necklace. But since we never see her within arms distance of the cup it's still not absolutely clear that this has anything to do with Joff's poisoning.

If I remember correctly, Bronn was paid off by Cersei to not be Tyrion's champion at the trial. His payment was Cersei arranging for his marriage to Lollys.

I don't think he betrayed Tyrion out of any sense of malice, but he did get bought off. I'm sure not wanting to get killed by the mountain sweetened the pot.

Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to have him accept a deal to give up Shae. After all, Tyrion thinks she's safely on a ship and Bronn probably just sees Shae as a whore who is only there for the money anyway, not that I think he'd quibble over it much even if he thought she really loved him.

My interpretation of book Bronn was that he liked Tyrion, but being Tyrion's right hand man was just a job. Once it became clear Tyrion's star was on the way down, which began with Tywin's return, I think he was probably already angling for a new benefactor. By the time Tyrion is on trial, Bronn is basically leaving a sinking ship.

• Love 1

If I were completely unspoiled (i.e., living under a rock and only emerging on Sunday nights) I would probably think Pycelle put poison in the pidgeon pie, because a) Joffrey was the only one to eat it and b) I like alliteration.

Really, how hygienic does one expect those doves on the cake to be?

Not only from the dead ones because of Joffrey’s sword work, but wouldn’t it be full of droppings?  I can’t believe they actually ate any of it, unless the slice he had was from part of it that was isolated from the cavity full of bird poo.

As far as who the whodunit aspect of this episode, I'm kind of bummed they made it as hard to figure out as they did

I honestly expect that Littlefinger will recap the conspiracy to Sansa like he did in the book.  The writers won’t want the audience possibly thinking that Tyrion actually did do it.  “Innocent man accused” makes for good drama.

• Love 1

HURRAY! *Throws streamers and confetti* The episode that Bookwalkers have been waiting for since the announcement that the books would be an HBO series. Though for some reason I thought the reception took place indoors?

Just watched the reception for the third time and you can pretty clearly see Olenna snagging the gem from Sansa's necklace. And even comforting Sansa while doing it: "War is war, but killing a man at a wedding, horrid. What sort of monster would do such a thing?" L O L

The reception was sooo fantastically awkward, so well done.

I dont remember Bronn betraying Tyrion. IIRC since everyone in Westeros and most importantly the Queen thinks Tyrion is guilty, Bronn sees himself in a no-win situation if he fights the Mountain. If he loses he is dead. If he wins he earns the everlasting enmity of Cersei, which is also fatal. So as I remember it, he is disinclined to involve himself in the trial.

There were a lot of great one liners in this episode.

I'm a bit surprised we didn't get the line from Roose as to why his wife is "fat" Walder, and interesting that Ramsay was actually nice to her.  Roose, obviously displeased with Ramsay's alteration of Theon, but realizing there was nothing to be done now, is making the best of a bad situation. 

Had I not known how the purple wedding went down, not sure I would have noticed the missing gem on Sansa's necklace.  I do like that they did make it somewhat ambiguous as to what killed Joffrey, but for those of us looking, one can see the signs of Oleanna's hand.

Curious to see what they do with Shae's character now, whether and/or how she ends up in Tywin's bed.

I like that Shereen doesn't seem afraid of Melisandre and I don't think Mel would harm her either (the least of which is because Stannis wouldn't like it and Mel knows which side of her bread is buttered).  I forget, is Gendry still at Dragonstone?

Wow.  I watched Joffrey's death with the biggest grin on my face ever.  The episode did so well to remind you of just how hateful he was.

Man, that was an awkward dinner at Dragonstone.  Melisandre was pretty funny at the dinner table.  I love how she had the nerve to keep eating during Stannis and Selyse's painful conversation.  They seem to be at the Basil and Sybil Fawlty level on the scale of 'married couples who hate each other'.

The Bran scene was nice - but I'm not really very engaged by it.

Poor Theon.  I think they've done a good job of showing how broken he is without going to town on makeup and physical stuff.  The hunt scene was pretty hard to watch.

I'm a bit surprised we didn't get the line from Roose as to why his wife is "fat" Walder, and interesting that Ramsay was actually nice to her.

I think Roose actually mentioned his wife and how he chose her to Catelyn during the Red Wedding (before everything went to hell).

• Love 3

Question: we know what happens to Book Shae at the end. But is it possibly, however unlikely, that perhaps Show Shae WILL live, and be the woman that Show Tyrion seeks out once he's overseas (versus Book Tyrion seeking his first wife?)

• Love 1
Question: we know what happens to Book Shae at the end. But is it possibly, however unlikely, that perhaps Show Shae WILL live, and be the woman that Show Tyrion seeks out once he's overseas (versus Book Tyrion seeking his first wife?)

I was actually thinking about that myself.  Maybe when Tywin says to Tyrion "Wherever whores go..." he's talking about Shae.  After thinking about it more I'm not sure i'd like that change as much as I originally had thought.  I'm still undecided on if I think that's the way the show is going though.

Edited by Izzyboy

I was actually thinking about that myself.  Maybe when Tywin says to Tyrion "Wherever whores go..." he's talking about Shae.  After thinking about it more I'm not sure i'd like that chance as much as I originally had thought.  I'm still undecided on if I think that's the way the show is going though.

I hated that whole refrain from Tyrion in book five.

He just needs to utter "Well, apparently you don't S**t gold" while holding a crossbow sometime this season.

• Love 2

He just needs to utter "Well, apparently you don't S**t gold" while holding a crossbow sometime this season.

Bronn used that expression about Tywin when starting the sword lesson with Jaime. So I think we are going to see that cozy father/son scene.

Bronn used that expression about Tywin when starting the sword lesson with Jaime. So I think we are going to see that cozy father/son scene.

Oh I know, in fact, if I remember correctly , several characters have used that phrase in some form or other over the course of the seasons .... I just want Tyrion to say it.

I think Roose actually mentioned his wife and how he chose her to Catelyn during the Red Wedding (before everything went to hell).

I didn't remember that.  I always thought that he got the wife after the Red Wedding as "condition/payment" for the Frey's hosting of the event (i.e. allowing the wedding reception to be the location where Roose got to off Robb).

Re: Bronn, I always got the impression that he only "abandoned" Tyrion, but didn't explicitly betray him. I think Tyrion knew that Bronn was loyal up to the point where it didn't cost him his own head.

That's true. I was using "betray" more in the general sense, as in not being loyal, rather than him taking any specific action to hurt Tyrion. I wasn't surprised when it happened in the book, because duh, sellsword. And I definitely wasn't surprised about Shae, who exhibited mercenary tendencies in the book (book Shae would never have turned down diamonds and been thrilled with gold necklaces.) Tyrion has no one but himself to blame for thinking either one is always going to be on his side, but it's still sad.

Yes, he tells Kat about it in the wedding scene before it all goes to hell, during wedding small talk. I rewatched the third season (some of it twice) before this one.

I was actually thinking about that myself.  Maybe when Tywin says to Tyrion "Wherever whores go..." he's talking about Shae.  After thinking about it more I'm not sure i'd like that change as much as I originally had thought.  I'm still undecided on if I think that's the way the show is going though.

I've been thinking the showrunners decided to replace Tyrion's young bride with Shae for awhile now, because otherwise I can't figure why they changed her character. I think they might feel it's more meaningful for us as viewers to see and know the woman he loves than for us to have to rely on him verbally retelling what happened years ago. It might work better for TV than POVs in books do. If this means Shae doesn't end up dead, I think we'll have our answer. I wonder though -- I always suspected Tyrion would one day run across his first wife. If that was planned to happen, then maybe they'd put Shae in there instead. Only GRRM and the showrunners know. Or maybe they'll reintroduce her much sooner somewhere in Essos. That said I would NOT MIND if they removed the 1,001 instances of Tyrion asking where whores go!!

I forget, is Gendry still at Dragonstone?

Davos sent him off in a rowboat headed to King's Landing. Then Davos was going to be arrested and killed for defying Stannis, but he revealed the message from Castle Black about them needing help, and that changed everything -- Melisandre said the war between kings was small potatoes, the big war was in the north, and Davos had a part to play. I wonder why they haven't gotten off their butts and headed north yet, though -- instead they're hanging around lighting people bonfires. It seems a little disjointed.

Though for some reason I thought the reception took place indoors?

That's how I pictured it when reading. Probably didn't have a hall big enough that looked as awesome as the courtyard they used.

I loved the shot of the dragon shadow moving over King's Landing -- I hope that happens.

Edited by Andromeda

But since we never see her within arms distance of the cup it's still not absolutely clear that this has anything to do with Joff's poisoning.

This is something I've thought about all day. We've not had a POV chapter from a Tyrell or someone else explicitly saying hairnet->poison->wine.  It's pretty heavily implied, but today I've been wondering if somehow GRRM through all that stuff in the episode to troll book readers.

I felt like such a book purist for being annoyed that Bran saw stuff that did not happen by a heart tree.
But since he is a green seer to I guess there's no reason for him not to be able to have visions mixed with his warging. Kinda amplified by the tree I guess.

I don't know...even knowing this was coming doesn't bring me much pleasure.  Joffrey was so wonderful to hate.  I think I will feel lost without that.  On the other hand, we will still have Ramsay to hate on, but his part doesn't quite capture the beast that was Joffrey. I think they are close to the same animal, but Joffrey had a much larger reach!  Joffrey got to torture any and all, but Ramsay's scope is limited.  

Clearly the fact that I enjoy sadistic animals says something not nice about me, doesn't it? 

Edited by Fable

Just as underwhelming as it was in the book, in my opinion. Joff deserved to be flayed, torched, chopped up into a billion pieces, and in the end it was poisoned wine which is such a cowards way to kill someone.

Well you know

in the book that's exactly who it was

Looks like they are setting the stage for the Cersei vs Margaery hunger games. I wonder if they'll bring the whole fortune teller story into it.

Hopefully they'll do the part where the People's Crusade arrives at Kingslanding and the Church of Seven is taken over by its puritan wing. What follows stems directly from Cercei's inability to understand the incorruptability of the new pope.

I don't see how anyone could think differently. Tyrion likes Bron personally, respects him professionally, and appreciates his simple motivations.

Davos sent him off in a rowboat headed to King's Landing. Then Davos was going to be arrested and killed for defying Stannis, but he revealed the message from Castle Black about them needing help, and that changed everything -- Melisandre said the war between kings was small potatoes, the big war was in the north, and Davos had a part to play. I wonder why they haven't gotten off their butts and headed north yet, though -- instead they're hanging around lighting people bonfires. It seems a little disjointed.

I suspect that can be explained by Stannis needing time to rebuild his fleet, after it got decimated on the Blackwater. So that story may get dragged on a bit until the last episodes of the season.

I suspect that can be explained by Stannis needing time to rebuild his fleet, after it got decimated on the Blackwater. So that story may get dragged on a bit until the last episodes of the season.

Agree -- he's obviously still licking his wounds and is short on supplies too, as evidenced by Selyse's mention of near-empty larders and talk of book soup and grilled seagull.

I didn't mention it previously, but I appreciated the brief view of another side of Stannis -- the side that has a soft spot for his daughter: "you will not strike her." 

I also thought the scene Shireen appeared in was far too short . . . I really liked how she verbally sparred with Melisandre . . . here's hoping she eventually contributes to Mel's undoing down the line.

I wonder why they haven't gotten off their butts and headed north yet, though -- instead they're hanging around lighting people bonfires. It seems a little disjointed.

I wonder how they'll handle this entire storyline.  In the books, Davos shows Stannis the letter from the Night's Watch, Mel tells him that they have to go help, and the lot of them disappear from the narrative entirely until they surprise the wildlings during the battle.  It was a big "whoa!" moment in the books;  I guess they could do the same here, but if they're going to keep Stannis's movements hidden from the audience it seems weird that they'd bother to have "meanwhile, on Dragonstone..." scenes in 4.02.

The bonfires at Dragonstone could be a sacrifice to bless the start of the trip/crusade.

Didn't Joffrey last set the goblet down in front of Olenna? I liked how so many people had a chance to touch or be very near it and/or the wine pitcher.

Didn't Joffrey last set the goblet down in front of Olenna? I liked how so many people had a chance to touch or be very near it and/or the wine pitcher.

I thought Margarey took the goblet from Joffrey and set it down in front of Olenna when Joffrey when to smash the pie and Joffrey picked it up to further torment Tyrion by requesting more wine.

I thought Margarey took the goblet from Joffrey and set it down in front of Olenna when Joffrey when to smash the pie and Joffrey picked it up to further torment Tyrion by requesting more wine.

Actually someone on Westeros pointed out that Olenna drops the stone from the necklace in the carafe after she walks away from Sansa and back to her seat on the dias. It's a wide shot, but you can clearly hear her plink/clink it into the bottle. I really hope that means Margery WAS in on it, because otherwise that was a big risk.

As far as I saw, Olenna sat on a different table. Margaery placed the goblet out of camera shot, but it's still on her own table. Olenna would have had to get up or made a wide gesture to reach the goblet (or try a 3 points shot) - that would have been noticed by any of the guest.

I suppose  Olenna would have passed the stone to Margaery sometime during the banquet.

Actually someone on Westeros pointed out that Olenna drops the stone from the necklace in the carafe after she walks away from Sansa and back to her seat on the dias. It's a wide shot, but you can clearly hear her plink/clink it into the bottle. I really hope that means Margery WAS in on it, because otherwise that was a big risk.

I thought so too.  My problem with it is that it happens fairly early, Joff spits out the wine and some of that same wine is spilled over Tyrion's head and enough got into his mouth that he could taste it.  Unless The Strangler is not a rapid poison nor is lethal in minute doses, Tyrion should have been poisoned too.  Of course there were a lot of cutaways and Joffrey could have taken other drinks and refilled his cup offscreen.  

As tempting as that "clink" is, I think Olenna poisoned the cup/flagon later, or the show could have changed it and had Marge do the deed.

Edited by GreyBunny

I read in an article today that now that this role is over, Jack Gleeson may not act again. Just doesn't feel its for him and states its not as enjoyable as it used to be. I recall reading in EW how he was pretty uncomfortable in the role and being so evil, though he was so incredibly good at it. He would do a scene, then appologize to everyone around him after it was over for whatever his character just did.

As good as he was, I hope this role didn't spoil his feelings about a career in acting by having to be so hated and act so evil.

• Love 1