Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Your Body May Be Rejecting the Implant

• Start Topic

Jazz has an operation to replace her testosterone blocker, but there are complications that could impact her transition. Also: Jazz's mom takes her to the DMV to get her driver's permit and see if they can change her gender to female.

(edited)

I didn't think it was cool to film Jazz as she was coming out of surgery and incoherent. Of course I suppose her parents could've had final say on when the camera started rolling, but let her wake up and know what she's saying before you film it! I'd be mortified coming out of surgery and saying something about my body half awake and the entire world hearing it.....and I'm 30, and I'm not transgender. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 4

Jazz, you're terrible at meeting people on your own. I'm trans and if I had had the courage to come as a teenager you better believe I would have pounced on a school's GSA to meet people who could understand.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didn't think it was cool to film Jazz as she was coming out of surgery and incoherent. Of course I suppose her parents could've had final say on when the camera started rolling, but let her wake up and know what she's saying before you film it! I'd be mortified coming out of surgery and saying something about my body half awake and the entire world hearing it.....and I'm 30, and I'm not transgender. 

Don't blame the television show.  Blame her parents who put her on a television show and allowed, probably insisted, on having cameras in the hospital.  Putting Jazz's life on television, especially when she and her parents are honest about her serious depression and when she displays obvious acting-out and attention-seeking behavior, like the episode in the car, is extremely irresponsible parenting.   

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Don't blame the television show.  Blame her parents who put her on a television show and allowed, probably insisted, on having cameras in the hospital.  Putting Jazz's life on television, especially when she and her parents are honest about her serious depression and when she displays obvious acting-out and attention-seeking behavior, like the episode in the car, is extremely irresponsible parenting.   

I agree. I don't doubt Jazz's parents love her very much and want her safe, but so much activism seems to me to be a full time job! In addition to being a teen, transitioning AND school work. Does Jazz have any time to just "be"?

• Love 1

Putting Jazz's life on television, especially when she and her parents are honest about her serious depression and when she displays obvious acting-out and attention-seeking behavior, like the episode in the car, is extremely irresponsible parenting.  

Agreed. And with this episode, I am officially over Jazz's mother. Her behavior at the yard sale was exactly like every hoarder ever seen on Hoarders
"I was saving that!" "you can't sell that! It has great sentimental value!" (which is why it was rolled up in a ball, at the bottom of a box in the far corner of the garage), "I did not give you permission to get rid of this!". Manipulative, defensive, and childish. "I won't apologize for being sentimental!" she huffs. Honey, you are not sentimental. You are an attention seeking, hoarding, insecure mess. Seek help.

Don't even get me started on her butting in at the meeting with the other trans kids. Sit on the sidelines (or better still, drop her off, leave, and pick her up later! why did she need to be sitting right there??) and let your daughter do her thing. She does not need your coaching. Gah.

• Love 7

I have to say I lol'd at Jazz's comment when she came out of surgery and the twins comments afterwards.  This isn't TLC's fault - the parents could have requested them to edit Jazz's comment and super easy for TLC to do. 

Jennette's has some serious issues if she only sees herself as a mommy. Coupled with the hoarding. 

I'm wondering if the DMV scene is a re-enactment.  They called up "Jaron Jennings" and I read somewhere that the last name of Jennings is being used by the family as a pseudonym (probably to protect their privacy).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, greekmom said:

I have to say I lol'd at Jazz's comment when she came out of surgery and the twins comments afterwards.  This isn't TLC's fault - the parents could have requested them to edit Jazz's comment and super easy for TLC to do. 

Jennette's has some serious issues if she only sees herself as a mommy. Coupled with the hoarding. 

I'm wondering if the DMV scene is a re-enactment.  They called up "Jaron Jennings" and I read somewhere that the last name of Jennings is being used by the family as a pseudonym (probably to protect their privacy).

I'm sure it was a reenactment, I doubt the DMV would allow filming for security purposes. 

• Love 3

Fame whore mommy needs to back the hell off. You know your daughter has been struggling with depression and life in general, so stop pushing her to be the poster child for all things transgender. Maybe she doesn't want to be shoved into awkward social situations and be put on display. Even worse, was Jazz having to sit there in front and almost give a presentation with mom and a teacher at her sides. How about they all sit as a group and just talk. Guess that doesn't work for filming though. Mom's constant talking for Jazz is ridiculous too. Not everything needs her comments. 

Don't even get me started on the garage sale. Anyone else notice she only seemed attached to Jazz's old crap? Loved Jazz saying it's garbage, throw it away! Sure keep a few truly sentimental things, but every dress, pair of ratty shoes, and hair bow doesn't need to be saved. 

I have a feeling there's some tension in the marriage. Mom's face when dad was giving his talking heads was not happy. 

• Love 2

I loved this show last season, but am increasingly concerned about Jazz's emotional health at this point.  She knows how to put on a happy face for the cameras and is, as always, mature and articulate about the issues surrounding being trans.  But for Pete's sake, she's a TEENAGER, with all the challenges that brings, and I wonder if letting all of that hang out on national television is a good idea.  Many teens, transgender or not, struggle with moodiness, social isolation, difficulty making friends, but the show (cough*Jeanette*cough) seems to insist on attributing all of this to being trans, and/or the associated hormones.  I kinda wish they could just let the kid BE, at least for now.

• Love 4

Did I hear them say that the testosterone-blocking implant in Jazz's arm had RUPTURED??? Presumably allowing the entire dose, meant to last for many months, to be dumped into the body all at once???? Sure would like to hear some followup on that one!

And yes, the hospital would have to identify Jazz as male on a hospital bracelet and on the records. I used to type medical records full-time and patient identification is very, very important in order to prevent mix-ups on treatment. Many patients fit the same general description and often are sedated or otherwise unable to say who they are. For the patient's own protection, the physical description has to match the physical reality.

• Love 2

I'm starting to think that Jeannette needs therapy. She also needs something else to focus on besides her kids. She herself may go into a serious depression when Jazz leaves for college. And I think she's pushing Jazz way too much to do things that Jazz doesn't necessarily want to do. The scene in the hospital where Jazz was waking up after surgery- just ugh. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I'm sure it was a reenactment, I doubt the DMV would allow filming for security purposes. 

I have never seen such an empty DMV office.  I'm going with a set up.  Also, do they call by name or issue numbers?  I live in a city so maybe we're different, but the whole thing screamed reality TV reenactment. 

The sweetest moment of the show was Jazz's brothers saying they forgot she has a penis.  If ever there was a testimony to them knowing she is female that was it.  I know we're talking genitals and erections, but it was a wonderfully innocent and unscripted moment.

Jazz's mother's issues are showing more and more.  She is going to have a meltdown when Jazz leaves home.  This is her life. 

@TomGirl I agree so much.  They need to let her grow up out of the constant spotlight.  If they want to do activism through TV, then do a special or two each year but don't do the day to day.  Being on reality TV has destroyed many families and adults.  Why do they think it is smart for a teenager? 

• Love 6

Whoo boy.  Where to start?

This show crossed the line from educational to wildly irresponsible the moment Jazz said, "I have a boner" on last night's episode.  She is 15-years-old!  I watch this show with my own 15-year-old daughter, who was horrified that Jazz's parents would film her when she's coming out of anesthesia and more apt to say or do things that might not be socially acceptable or appropriate.  My daughter (and most other kids her age) would be beside herself if one of her embarrassing moments was broadcast on television for the entire world to see.  This isn't Jersey Shore or Real Housewives.  It's a show about a young girl who is emotionally frail at the moment and trying to find her way in a harsh world where everyone doesn't accept her.  That moment really made me angry.

I loved Jazz's easygoing attitude about the question of whether her learner's permit would list her as male or female.  She realized the possibility of being listed as male and took it in stride, reasoning that she could always get it changed later.  Same deal with the M on her medical bracelet.  She said that she knew what she was and that was all that mattered.  Jazz put her mother to shame in the maturity department at certain moments last night.  I also didn't think that her little song and acting out in the car was all that bad.  She's a kid.  What on earth do they expect?  A parent's measured, bemused response to a child's acting out has a far better impact than getting mad.  If Jeannette thinks she hasn't spoiled and overindulged Jazz, she's kidding herself.

This child needs someone to remember that she's still a child and give her back the privacy she needs.  I'm certainly no psychologist, but I do have quite a bit of experience with adolescent females and I'm not so sure that this show benefits anyone anymore other than lining the family's pockets.  Mom, in particular, is absolutely shameful in her willingness to allow Jazz's most private moments and issues to be aired for the general public.  Quite frankly, at this point, I'm pissed on Jazz's behalf.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, okerry said:

Did I hear them say that the testosterone-blocking implant in Jazz's arm had RUPTURED??? Presumably allowing the entire dose, meant to last for many months, to be dumped into the body all at once???? Sure would like to hear some followup on that one!

And yes, the hospital would have to identify Jazz as male on a hospital bracelet and on the records. I used to type medical records full-time and patient identification is very, very important in order to prevent mix-ups on treatment. Many patients fit the same general description and often are sedated or otherwise unable to say who they are. For the patient's own protection, the physical description has to match the physical reality.

No the implant broke as they were removing it. Also, hospitals don't have to identify trans people as the gender they were assigned at birth. That's ridiculous. They should have a way to identify a person as trans and the gender they want to be identified as on their records. It's not that hard since everything is done via computer databases.

As for the gender marker on her drivers license, her parents really need to get her birth certificate's gender info changed unless it's impossible due to the regressive politics in Florida.

Jeannette needs to get a job or volunteer for non-LGBT causes so she can get a life.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 2

Sigh. Jeanette. I've never been a parent; but I've been the one on the bed in the recovery room many times, once while young. What's not generally helpful: a hyperventilating loved one telling you how stressful it was on HER. 

• Love 8

My friends, I have become cynical and jaded. I no longer believe anything is real on these "reality" shows. When Jazz made that remark upon coming out of her anesthetic, and then that was closely followed by mom's complaint about the "male" designation on her bracelet, I suspected they wanted to remind us that Jazz still has male anatomy in order to set up mom's little "how dare they!" moment. I believe Jazz is sufficiently open about her situation to agree to it. If it had been spontaneous it probably would have been edited out. I also agree that the hospital had no choice but to put her biological sex on the bracelet. They're working with her physical body, not her mind, and unfortunately that body is currently male. Surely mom is sharp enough to realize that. Again, I suspect scripted drama. 

I assume Jazz has some veto power over what's shown and she didn't object to the post-anesthesia moment. I didn't think it was a terrible moment, and I also thought her brother's reaction was actually very telling and very sweet. If in fact Jazz has no say in what gets shown, I would feel totally differently, but I can't imagine both she and her parents don't have some control written into their contract, given her age and vulnerability. 

My feelings about Jeannette are very different than the majority, I guess. I don't think she wants fame or money. I think she is an overinvolved mom, but understandably so, who wants the world to accept her daughter and love her as much as she does. Actually, I have quite a bit of empathy for her.

• Love 11
(edited)

TLC makes me so mad! At first I love their shows, (Jazz, Big Fat Fab Life, heck even the Kody Brown circus). Then as we get to know more about these people, it turns to hate watching.  Jazz is very mature and will be a great advocate (if she choses) for LGBTQ issues. But right now she's a child going through some things that are best left to the privacy of her family, medical support staff and closest friends. Jeanette needs to back off. Love the idea of becoming an advocate for transgender issues. On a side note I wonder if the trans kids at the other High School are envious of Jazz and the fact that she has great support and was able to transition much earlier in her life.

Edited by jacksgirl
forgot LBGT now has a Q

Also, hospitals don't have to identify trans people as the gender they were assigned at birth. That's ridiculous. They should have a way to identify a person as trans and the gender they want to be identified as on their records. It's not that hard since everything is done via computer databases.

There are a variety of lab results that have different reference ranges, depending on whether the patient is biologically male or female.  Of course that needs to be recorded on the chart.

• Love 4
(edited)

It seems there are some things Jeannette is more sensitive to than Jazz is. She got her back up about both the hospital ID bracelet as well as the DMV using Jazz's birth name, but Jazz seemed pretty chill about both. I think she has a better understanding than her mom does of the limitations of the world she is engaging with, both in terms of practical realities as well as how much acceptance (or lack thereof) she encounters. She is an exceptionally mature young woman.

That said, I find that like @jacksgirl, I am increasingly uncomfortable with Jazz's life being on display. She seems to be having a harder time of things with friends and social interactions, and the fact that she went through a depression that included suicidal ideation just a short time before Season 2 began filming is very alarming. Being an adolescent is difficult enough; being one with the additional physical and emotional issues Jazz faces as a transgender teen seems almost unthinkable. I think for her own mental health, it would be best for the show to end, although it would mean a valuable public face would be less visible.

Edited by bref
  • Love 4
(edited)
48 minutes ago, bref said:

<snip>

That said, I find that like @jacksgirl, I am increasingly uncomfortable with Jazz's life being on display. She seems to be having a harder time of things with friends and social interactions, and the fact that she went through a depression that included suicidal ideation just a short time before Season 2 began filming is very alarming. Being an adolescent is difficult enough; being one with the additional physical and emotional issues Jazz faces as a transgender teen seems almost unthinkable. I think for her own mental health, it would be best for the show to end, although it would mean a valuable public face would be less visible.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I am wondering if Jazz is sticking with the show primarily as a way to earn the money she'll need in a couple of years for her reassignment surgeries. Quoting from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/health/transgender-costs-irpt/

"In Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Center for Transgender Surgery posts cost estimates for different procedures. Its price list mentions estimates of $140,450 to transition from male to female, and $124,400 to transition from female to male."

That's a lot of money, and we already know the family's insurance isn't likely to cover it. As a young person, Jazz would have to work for many years to earn that kind of money, and she probably feels the sooner she can complete her transition, put all the medical stuff behind her, and get on with her life, the better. So she may be putting up with the filming (despite not really wanting to have her life on display) because it's the only way available to her at the moment to ensure the expense of her reassignment is covered so she can get it done as soon as she's eligible.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Rewording
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I am wondering if Jazz is sticking with the show primarily as a way to earn the money she'll need in a couple of years for her reassignment surgeries. Quoting from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/health/transgender-costs-irpt/

"In Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Center for Transgender Surgery posts cost estimates for different procedures. Its price list mentions estimates of $140,450 to transition from male to female, and $124,400 to transition from female to male."

That's a lot of money, and we already know the family's insurance isn't likely to cover it. As a young person, Jazz would have to work for many years to earn that kind of money, and she probably feels the sooner she can complete her transition, put all the medical stuff behind her, and get on with her life, the better. So she may be putting up with the filming (despite not really wanting to have her life on display) because it's the only way available to her at the moment to ensure the expense of her reassignment is covered so she can get it done as soon as she's eligible.

I had thought of this as well. If Jazz wants to have bottom and top surgery that will be incredibly expensive. The income from the show & public speaking can help cover that. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/30/2016 at 7:05 AM, greekmom said:

It is a pseudonym.  They're Jewish, or at least the mom's side is. Dad looks like his family origin could be a number of places...Israel, Lebanon, Armenia, etc.  Their last name wouldn't be anything like Jennings.

Jeannette has a mild case of hoarding.  She's nothing like the people on Hoarders.  She only hangs onto things she's sentimental about her kids.  And since they're mostly grown, she's not going to be accumulating anymore stuff from their childhood.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2
On 6/30/2016 at 11:19 AM, Muffyn said:

They need to let her grow up out of the constant spotlight.  If they want to do activism through TV, then do a special or two each year but don't do the day to day.  Being on reality TV has destroyed many families and adults.  Why do they think it is smart for a teenager? 

I think this is my largest problem with the show. It's wonderful that Jazz has such a great support system for something that can be at times overwhelming and upsetting. But it bothers me that her parents, especially her mother, seem to be itching for confrontations and drama surrounding her. I am willing to bet that, like most teenagers, fitting in is very difficult for Jazz. She may have a good group of friends who support her but her parents continued insistence to put her on camera and set up these situations. This can only reinforce feelings that she doesn't fit in, especially in school where potentially her classmates are seeing the show. I can see some of these situations becoming fuel for bullies, especially the boner comment. I doubt that Jazz has any sort of control over what is shown but I am willing to bet her parents do. Someone needs to speak up for Jazz and perhaps decide that they are only going to do specials. Mom just needs to take her attention and fame whore ways home.

None of the Jennings have exec producer (or producer, period) credits, so they don't have creative control.  They can ask that something filmed not be aired, but producers don't have to agree. 

• Love 2
(edited)

biakbiak, I just assumed that was due to scheduling. I know they don't film teen mom all of the time because we would see all of Jenelle's arrests. Do you know that they purposely didn't film it or just conjecture? I hope you are right and TLC has a few morals left. I do like Jazz and her brothers and dad. There is a lot of love. Jeanette needs to do more things with her other kids though. So much of her focus is on Jazz, the other kids can't help be feel a bit left out

Edited by jacksgirl

Yes, I am aware that shows don't film year round, I just think it would be to coincidental for filming to perfectly line up with her being in a much healthier place. But then again I don't see her parents as being controlling stage parents. Jazz usually an were yes to most of these things before Jeannette even responds.

Sometimes you can tell when the "characters" are reciting from a script. Jeannette's special dinner with one of the boys had especially clunky dialogue. Whether the words they say are actually their own, or were written for them, they don't sound spontaneous - leading me to think that this show is very carefully crafted, and we can't be sure what is true. 

But when Jazz said (I think it was this episode) that she has no friends; that she eats lunch in the bathroom - that was a shocker, and certainly didn't sound scripted. 

@CousinAmy, that really was shocking. As was the revelation that Jeannette was worried enough about Jazz that she moved her into the parents' bedroom to keep an eye on her. 

(Off topic, is your screen name from Understood Betsy? I loved that book.)

On 7/4/2016 at 4:50 AM, bref said:

@CousinAmy, that really was shocking. As was the revelation that Jeannette was worried enough about Jazz that she moved her into the parents' bedroom to keep an eye on her. 

(Off topic, is your screen name from Understood Betsy? I loved that book.)

(No, I was actually thinking about my own cousin, Amy, when I registered!)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/30/2016 at 8:37 PM, momofsquid said:

My friends, I have become cynical and jaded. I no longer believe anything is real on these "reality" shows. When Jazz made that remark upon coming out of her anesthetic, and then that was closely followed by mom's complaint about the "male" designation on her bracelet, I suspected they wanted to remind us that Jazz still has male anatomy in order to set up mom's little "how dare they!" moment. I believe Jazz is sufficiently open about her situation to agree to it. If it had been spontaneous it probably would have been edited out. I also agree that the hospital had no choice but to put her biological sex on the bracelet. They're working with her physical body, not her mind, and unfortunately that body is currently male. Surely mom is sharp enough to realize that. Again, I suspect scripted drama. 

and this makes me have to ask.... if it is her mind (and has Jazz had genetic or chromosomal tests for abnormalities to determine if it is physical or psychological?) then is hormone manipulation, future sterility, future surgery in Jazz's best interests?  Wouldn't psych counseling be better?  I wonder if the depression and antidepressant is due to hormone manipulation.  I was a 13 yo adolescent female and it was no picnic....and I was a mouthy thing....but did not need any pills for it.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

and this makes me have to ask.... if it is her mind (and has Jazz had genetic or chromosomal tests for abnormalities to determine if it is physical or psychological?) then is hormone manipulation, future sterility, future surgery in Jazz's best interests?  Wouldn't psych counseling be better?  I wonder if the depression and antidepressant is due to hormone manipulation.  I was a 13 yo adolescent female and it was no picnic....and I was a mouthy thing....but did not need any pills for it.  

I would think her doctors, who are the best in the biz regarding transgender patients, know what's best for her. As for being depressed. Lots of teens are depressed and I think she has outgrown her peer group due to the people she's met and the platform she has and it's not fun to realize this as a 15 year old.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I would think her doctors, who are the best in the biz regarding transgender patients, know what's best for her. As for being depressed. Lots of teens are depressed and I think she has outgrown her peer group due to the people she's met and the platform she has and it's not fun to realize this as a 15 year old.

that is what I'm asking.  Has Jazz been medically assessed?

2 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

that is what I'm asking.  Has Jazz been medically assessed?

Yes she's been on this transition journey in many ways since she was three years old including therapy sessions.

being in therapy is not the same as having the dna or chromosomes or XY or whatever assessed.  Has this been addressed?  I fully admit - I haven't watched the entire series nor have I read the book.  I know before I allow my child to pursue this I would want to make sure it was physical and not mental or emotional.  

52 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

being in therapy is not the same as having the dna or chromosomes or XY or whatever assessed.  Has this been addressed?  I fully admit - I haven't watched the entire series nor have I read the book.  I know before I allow my child to pursue this I would want to make sure it was physical and not mental or emotional.  

I think you're questioning if Jazz is inter-sex vs being transgender. She's transgender and has been transitioning since the age of 3, not intersex. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

One's chromosomes have nothing to do with what is between someone's ears in terms of gender identity. A person might not ever get any surgery but get hormone treatments to either hasten or reverse the gender characteristics that are the opposite of how they identify. Our gender identity is what's in our head not what's between our legs. It's really hard to get an idea of her journey if you haven't watched the Barbara Walters interviews with her when she was a young child or her many other media appearances prior and during this reality show. Jazz has always thought and felt like a girl and her journey has been documented for a decade. Here's some videos for your reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mARaukQB6Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZWF0gP6RY

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1
(edited)

Stupid question:  Does using a pseudonym offer any protection when you are on a tv show?  

I assume the kids use their real name at school, and the dad does not use the pseudonym at work.  What's stopping someone who knows them in real life from revealing their real name?  Obviously the horrible person who was calling them at home (unless that was faked for the cameras) knows their real name.

Given the negative reactions that are prevalent about transgender people, I can't help but worry that having a minor documenting her journey on tv may be too dangerous.  I do applaud Jazz for trying to raise awareness, but have to wonder if her safety is being compromised.  It seems that her dad is very concerned about safety and privacy issues, but her mom appears to be less concerned.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Stupid question:  Does using a pseudonym offer any protection when you are on a tv show?  

I assume the kids use their real name at school, and the dad does not use the pseudonym at work.  What's stopping someone who knows them in real life from revealing their real name?  Obviously the horrible person who was calling them at home (unless that was faked for the cameras) knows their real name.

Given the negative reactions that are prevalent about transgender people, I can't help but worry that having a minor documenting her journey on tv may be too dangerous.  I do applaud Jazz for trying to raise awareness, but have to wonder if her safety is being compromised.  It seems that her dad is very concerned about safety and privacy issues, but her mom appears to be less concerned.

I agree with you 100%.  This show has crossed the line from educational to dangerous.  Even if TLC is working some of their patented magic and fabricating the voicemails (which I strongly suspect), there are countless people out there who really do feel the way the caller does about transgender individuals.  Their true last name is not at all difficult to find; it's readily available online.  There are a lot of batshit crazy people in this world and more and more of them have dangerous weapons.  This show makes me nervous for Jazz every time I watch it.  I think her parents are being terribly irresponsible.  At what point is Jazz allowed to simply be herself and learn about who she is in private, away from the cameras?  It's not her job to use her own case to educate the world.  What a huge responsibility her mother seems to have placed on her 15-year-old shoulders.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 2

I think the publicity protects them as much as it attracts danger. Trans people are the victims of more violent hate crimes than you would believe-- look at the statistics and see if you can pick your jaw up off the floor-- and that includes people who do not seek publicity. There was no way they were going to be able to give Jazz a life while keeping her reality totally secret. All kinds of people knew (for ex the schools), and they have said over and over again that it's a matter of safety for her to disclose before she's "discovered" by accident. I think they made a calculation that it was better to proactively out themselves and gain allies, than to wait for the bigots to attack you when you least expect it and/or nobody is watching. We'll never know for sure how it would have turned out if they'd tried to keep it more under wraps, but I don't think their choice was made lightly or that it was necessarily wrong. They had no really good/totally safe options, in my opinion.

I really think asking people to be in the closet, or to "avoid attracting attention" is not only unrealistic but also very soul-crushing. I understand that some people in some situations find it a safer option. But there is also a case to be made that being public and trying to influence others to support you, is actually safer in a lot of ways.

It's a gamble either way, which is to say that the world is a dangerous place for trans people, but I don't know if she's worse off with or without the media attention. I think her parents had to make a choice and hope for the best, under difficult circumstances.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

I agree with you 100%.  This show has crossed the line from educational to dangerous.  Even if TLC is working some of their patented magic and fabricating the voicemails (which I strongly suspect), there are countless people out there who really do feel the way the caller does about transgender individuals.  Their true last name is not at all difficult to find; it's readily available online.  There are a lot of batshit crazy people in this world and more and more of them have dangerous weapons.  This show makes me nervous for Jazz every time I watch it.  I think her parents are being terribly irresponsible.  At what point is Jazz allowed to simply be herself and learn about who she is in private, away from the cameras?  It's not her job to use her own case to educate the world.  What a huge responsibility her mother seems to have placed on her 15-year-old shoulders.

I agree. I think her mother, especially needs help. She has made life altering decision about Jazz since age 2. I personally believe, stopping her puberty and thus any chance to have biological children was unconscienceable. No parent can make that choice for their kid and a kid certainly can't be expected to make that choice themselves. I understand her mother was worried about her mental health and suicide from early on. Well here we are, and Jazz is suicidal, at least at times. Personally I think Jazz is very mixed up. I often wonder if she regrets all these hormones and just wish she was a normal kid. I wonder if Jaron had been born in another family, and the family dynamic, mom, were different, if this would have been a phase that ran its course. Maybe Jaron would have been more feminine. Not all boys are super manly just as not all girls aren't super feminine. My heart breaks for Jazz. I truly feel she won't make it to her 21st birthday. I certainly hope I am wrong. I think her mom projects way too much onto Jazz. The last thing I would want for my kid is to be a grand marshall to a LGBTQ, whatever letter comes next parade. Jazz doesn't seem comfortable with other trans kids. That group of kids at GSA, they all just look weird. I don't mean that to sound nasty. They just represent themselves as green hair butchy people. Jazz isn't that. Yet, her mom is there, front and center pushing her to hang out with kids that talk about killing themselves. I think I would send Jazz to a great all girls school and retreat from the lime light.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:46 PM, Scarlett45 said:

That was terrible and I blame her idiot her parent's for that.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, PupCal said:

Jazz, you're terrible at meeting people on your own. I'm trans and if I had had the courage to come as a teenager you better believe I would have pounced on a school's GSA to meet people who could understand.

I think she has become more reclusive with her peers because of all this media attention. I think she is terribly confused and regretting all these big decision's. She doesn't fit in with those green haired butchy types.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:57 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Agreed. And with this episode, I am officially over Jazz's mother. Her behavior at the yard sale was exactly like every hoarder ever seen on Hoarders
"I was saving that!" "you can't sell that! It has great sentimental value!" (which is why it was rolled up in a ball, at the bottom of a box in the far corner of the garage), "I did not give you permission to get rid of this!". Manipulative, defensive, and childish. "I won't apologize for being sentimental!" she huffs. Honey, you are not sentimental. You are an attention seeking, hoarding, insecure mess. Seek help.

Don't even get me started on her butting in at the meeting with the other trans kids. Sit on the sidelines (or better still, drop her off, leave, and pick her up later! why did she need to be sitting right there??) and let your daughter do her thing. She does not need your coaching. Gah.

Which makes me wonder if Jeanette isn't ill herself and wanted a different kid. Seriously, she gets as much attention as Jazz.

• Love 1

I disagree that Jazz's mom is forcing this upon her. Being transgender that is. The spotlight - possibly, maybe even probably. But the being transgender "thing" is who Jazz is, and her mother didn't make this decision on her own. It takes a lot of therapy and a lot of doctors to reach this decision, and from what I remember, Jazz's family did their due diligence to help their child. 

Now, whether being an activist and having a tv show at her age is problematic is a different issue entirely. I have mixed feelings on that.

• Love 7
(edited)

I can't even imagine how a parent would force fake transgenderism on a child. It was Jazz who initiated the whole thing, and even so it took time before her parents came around-- and only then it was at Jazz's insistence and with doctors involved. I don't know where the idea got started that gender transition is a quick, easy thing that anyone would do without a lot of effort and reflection and serious intent (not to mention expense), but it goes against every story I've heard from a transgender person, about what their life was really like.

Maybe the show's emphasis on humanizing trans people by introducing them as sympathetic and normal is leaving out those kinds of details, but there are more detailed stories available, which get into the nitty gritty of how the process unfolds, which anyone interested to know more can access. I think that showing Jazz being embraced by her family is really important for kids who have never been given that kind of love and acceptance and support, to see it modeled and to be encouraged to believe they deserve that. For those of us who aren't experiencing the rejection and scorn first hand, we need to remember that not everything is being shown here, and that at times we may need to look elsewhere if we need more information. I like that the show is as much for trans kids to be supported as it is for cis people to gain insight. There is a risk in making a show that is too slanted to explaining stuff, that it runs the risk of becoming an exercise in "putting those weirdos on display for the edification and entertainment of the normals" which can have the by-product of creating more pain and alienation for the people supposedly being showcased-- I think this show is actually cutting a middle path between being "for cis people" and "for trans people" in this way, but it does mean that we cis have to fill in things that aren't being shown, and be careful to not assume things based on our own experiences and assumptions, which might not match what's really going on.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I can't even imagine how a parent would force fake transgenderism on a child. It was Jazz who initiated the whole thing, and even so it took time before her parents came around-- and only then it was at Jazz's insistence and with doctors involved. I don't know where the idea got started that gender transition is a quick, easy thing that anyone would do without a lot of effort and reflection and serious intent (not to mention expense), but it goes against every story I've heard from a transgender person, about what their life was really like.

Maybe the show's emphasis on humanizing trans people by introducing them as sympathetic and normal is leaving out those kinds of details, but there are more detailed stories available, which get into the nitty gritty of how the process unfolds, which anyone interested to know more can access. I think that showing Jazz being embraced by her family is really important for kids who have never been given that kind of love and acceptance and support, to see it modeled and to be encouraged to believe they deserve that. For those of us who aren't experiencing the rejection and scorn first hand, we need to remember that not everything is being shown here, and that at times we may need to look elsewhere if we need more information. I like that the show is as much for trans kids to be supported as it is for cis people to gain insight. There is a risk in making a show that is too slanted to explaining stuff, that it runs the risk of becoming an exercise in "putting those weirdos on display for the edification and entertainment of the normals" which can have the by-product of creating more pain and alienation for the people supposedly being showcased-- I think this show is actually cutting a middle path between being "for cis people" and "for trans people" in this way, but it does mean that we cis have to fill in things that aren't being shown, and be careful to not assume things based on our own experiences and assumptions, which might not match what's really going on.

I agree with your post, however, transgenderism isn't a word.