Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Glitches said:

Car Shield, when the African-American gentleman says, “when you can’t pay for it to get it fixed.” Blatant stereotyping of poor grammar for minorities. For a while the commercial did not play; then the commercial returned, unchanged. I am revolted and disgusted. 

How is that bad grammar?

• Like 1

How is that bad grammar?

I'm not the person who brought it up, but I would say "when you can't pay to get it fixed." So "when you can't pay for it(1) to get it(2) fixed" sounds like it(1) is going to get it(2) fixed. For me "when you can't pay for your car to get your car fixed" isn't possible, but you could say "when you can't pay for your sister to get her car fixed."

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My phone rang the other day with a number not marked as Spam, with a local area code. I was expecting my cleaning service that afternoon, so I answered thinking it might be them. It was a recording about the damn Camp Lejeune lawsuits. Arghhh! There's no escaping them.

My husband was never in the military, nor has he ever been within hundreds of miles of Camp Lejeune, but he gets emails about it.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

From the "brats I'd like to smack in the mouth" department, I saw one for Seventh Generation cleaners in which this little girl lectures the cashier about plastic pollution, calling her by her first name in this nasty tone. 😠

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm not the person who brought it up, but I would say "when you can't pay to get it fixed." So "when you can't pay for it(1) to get it(2) fixed" sounds like it(1) is going to get it(2) fixed. For me "when you can't pay for your car to get your car fixed" isn't possible, but you could say "when you can't pay for your sister to get her car fixed."

My husband was never in the military, nor has he ever been within hundreds of miles of Camp Lejeune, but he gets emails about it.

I worked for the military for many years, never anywhere near Camp Lejeune, and I'm getting phone calls, cell phone calls, lots of emails.     The huge number of mailings, emails, calls, and the TV commercials are a big reason that so much of the class action settlements are paltry amounts to the clients, and mostly to the law firm for expenses.    I swear the commercials are on every channel, all day long.  

I just wonder how much they're spending a month on that annoying commercial?   All of the advertising and other expenses come right out of the settlement amount, as well as any legal and record keeping expenses. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 4
On 10/10/2022 at 11:38 AM, dleighg said:

I see that one a ton on my Solitaire app on my phone. Yeah right. Along with the "single keto gummy a day" that takes you from a size 20 to a size 6 in weeks. 

"Lose 60 lbs in 3 weeks!" Honey, if you lose 60 pounds in 3 weeks,  then either (a) you're a  Dr. Now patient who is actually following his instructions or (b) you need to get thee to a doctor!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Pete Davidson is also in a manscaping ad too.  That one really creeps me out.  There was another one with a tattoo removal, while advertising something, but I'm not sure what. 

I think it was for Smart Water?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

...I like her hair. I'm getting mine cut on Sunday and I think I'll get something like that.

Here's hoping you won't have to keep tucking that shank of hair behind your ear to keep it off your face, like the woman in the commercial does every six seconds.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, ctlady said:

Unless your company processes payroll on a Monday for Friday paycheck date, then - yes - you'll get funded either Tues/Wed while your unfortunate co-workers have to wait until Friday.  However, by Friday, when everyone else is getting their full net check, you've just spent half of yours.  Does it really matter when you get your funds?  You still have to go a full week before you get paid again.

Sometimes it makes a difference depending on when specific bills are due.  Unfortunately it depends entirely on your employer allowing early deposits to direct deposit accounts.  I'm paid by the county government, and payday is always Friday.  The only exception is when a federal holiday on which banks are closed falls on a Friday.  (For example, Christmas or Independence Day.)

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Other than being kind of a goofball, I don't really get where all the Pete Davidson hate comes from.

I've never found him funny, but I don't hate him.  He's mostly just meh to me.

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There was another one with a tattoo removal, while advertising something, but I'm not sure what. 

Some kind of smart water, I believe.

18 hours ago, RedElf said:

How is that bad grammar?

Maybe not bad grammar but certainly very awkward phrasing.

17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I had never even been in the country in the country & I get them all.

Pete Davidson in the Taco Bell commercials looks like a crack addict. We rarely eat there anymore, but his commercials just reinforce the idea that their food is gross, especially when I see it inside his mouth as he eats and talks at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2022 at 2:08 AM, Glitches said:

Car Shield, when the African-American gentleman says, “when you can’t pay for it to get it fixed.” Blatant stereotyping of poor grammar for minorities. For a while the commercial did not play; then the commercial returned, unchanged. I am revolted and disgusted. 

I'm not sure racial bias is in play here.   Commercials today are being written by the same generation that goes around saying "you guys's"

• Love 2

"everything breaks."  You can get coverage for less than ONE DOLLAR A DAY!  And all my brain will hear is Yael Eckstein talking about her poor Ukrainian Jews living on TWO DAAAAHLERS A DAY.  I find that commercial so freakin' offensive.  There's Mike Huckabee, bragging how he, a Christian, can tangibly help JEWS.  Give that man a matzoh ball.  You're SO ecumenical, dude. He's so smug and proud of himself. 

• Love 5

On the surface, I get a kick out of the Wayfair commercial where Kelly Clarkson pops up in people’s homes. But they need to stop dressing her in dresses that look like they were made from Victorian drape those tightly cinched belts do her very full figure no justice 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

On the surface, I get a kick out of the Wayfair commercial where Kelly Clarkson pops up in people’s homes. But they need to stop dressing her in dresses that look like they were made from Victorian drape those tightly cinched belts do her very full figure no justice 

How does Kelly dress on her daily talk show? I don't watch it, but my husband sees it at the gym. He jokes that every guest is her absolute favorite of all time. 😄

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Yeah, I don't get this trend of full-figured women cinching belts right under their boobular area. All that does is accentuate an oversized belly. And I say this as a woman who is NOT a delicate waif.

• Love 6

In the "annoying" category, there's an ad for drug Syrizi. The star of the ad is a woman in a blue outfit who is apparently the owner of a cafe. She prances around the restaurant, arranges the flowers, complimenting her employees, schmoozing with customers, doing an impromptu dance, with this HUGE grin the entire time. Somehow I don't think running a restaurant is EVER that much fun LOL.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

In the "annoying" category, there's an ad for drug Syrizi. The star of the ad is a woman in a blue outfit who is apparently the owner of a cafe. She prances around the restaurant, arranges the flowers, complimenting her employees, schmoozing with customers, doing an impromptu dance, with this HUGE grin the entire time. Somehow I don't think running a restaurant is EVER that much fun LOL.

I once watched Kitchen Nightmares. It was NOTHING like that.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 10/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, chessiegal said:

How does Kelly dress on her daily talk show? I don't watch it, but my husband sees it at the gym. He jokes that every guest is her absolute favorite of all time. 😄

I saw her on a commercial for Hurricane Ian donations. I did not recognise her because she was calm and well-dressed.

On 10/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, god help us.   "The deadline for filing federal tort claims under the Camp Lejeune Justice Act is August 10, 2024."   22 more months to go!

Mr Bill Blackout.jpg

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8

In a KFC commercial, this guy is eating chicken, etc. in front of his abuelita and she is near tears because he didn't bring her anything to eat.  This makes him look like a jerk, so I don't  understand why it's supposed to be funny or make people want to eat there. 

I'm kind of tired of the Jersey Mike's commercials where Danny DeVito is acting really weird about the sandwiches.  There's one where he is dressed in a tuxedo and has a theater seat and binoculars so he can watch them make the sandwich like a show; another where he is staring and hopping up and down while they put the ingredients on, only for it to turn out to be someone else's sandwich; and one where he lifts a sandwich up to his ear.  They are on an awful lot.

The worst though is one for Upwork where the old boss is a zombie so all of his decaying body parts are falling off.  Even though it's done in a comedic way, it's kind of gross and I only see the ad when I'm trying to eat something.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, KWalkerInc said:

In a KFC commercial, this guy is eating chicken, etc. in front of his abuelita and she is near tears because he didn't bring her anything to eat.  This makes him look like a jerk, so I don't  understand why it's supposed to be funny or make people want to eat there. 

I don't understand that one either. She sort of looks like a ghost. Is she really not there?

Also agree on the Danny DeVito and the zombie commercials. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, chessiegal said:

How does Kelly dress on her daily talk show?

She dresses like that for her talk show and pretty much most of the time.  It's her personal style, apparently.  It's not particularly flattering to her, but if she likes it, who am I to judge?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I thought it made her look like a jerk for being so passive-aggressive about it and behaving like a drama queen.

I'm kind of tired of the Jersey Mike's commercials where Danny DeVito is acting really weird about the sandwiches.  There's one where he is dressed in a tuxedo and has a theater seat and binoculars so he can watch them make the sandwich like a show; another where he is staring and hopping up and down while they put the ingredients on, only for it to turn out to be someone else's sandwich; and one where he lifts a sandwich up to his ear.  They are on an awful lot.

I must be watching the wrong shows because i don't see them often, but when I do, I remember that ep of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in which he "makes a sandwich in my mouth" by shoving everything into his mouth before starting to chew. 😀

The worst though is one for Upwork where the old boss is a zombie so all of his decaying body parts are falling off.  Even though it's done in a comedic way, it's kind of gross and I only see the ad when I'm trying to eat something.

Is that the commercial for a new zombie Fucko plush toy? 

• LOL 1
On 10/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, Colleenna said:

Yeah, I don't get this trend of full-figured women cinching belts right under their boobular area.

I'm adding this to my list right alongside 'boobage'

On 10/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, mmecorday said:

Just so you know, Medicare Martha is back

I'll take her over JJ Walker's "call nowwwwww"

I can do without seeing the Progressive ads with Jon Hamm mooning after Flo in stalker/cringy fashion

• Love 6

I've noticed on the Medicare Advantage ads: "I called to check my zip code." "I called to see if I could get money added back to my Social Security check."  "I called to see if my doctor was still on the plan"  BINGO.  I understand doctors hate MA because it pays them so little, so they tend to get out of it as quickly as they can.  The MA folks didn't use that reason last year. I bet a bunch of people complained about their doctors leaving & by the time the patients found out, open enrollment was over.

• Useful 3

And the thing about MA is, you can always go back to regular Medicare, but if you had a supplemental policy, and your medical conditions have changed, you may not be able to get that back. That's what happened to my father after he broke his hip while on MA and was up the creek, so to speak, when he found out he was unhappy with MA. 

I wish the ads were more upfront about the real differences with regular MA, rather than implying that "you're missing out on all this free stuff if you don't have it."

Edited by dleighg
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

I don't understand that one either. She sort of looks like a ghost. Is she really not there?

Maybe Grandma (in the KFC commercial) IS a ghost.  That would take the guy off the hook for not feeding her, since she's dead and all.  I wonder if it's their attempt at a Halloween ad, but it's odd.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

Maybe Grandma (in the KFC commercial) IS a ghost.  That would take the guy off the hook for not feeding her, since she's dead and all.  I wonder if it's their attempt at a Halloween ad, but it's odd.

That commercial has puzzled me too. I had never considered that maybe his Abuelita is a ghost. That would explain his disregard of buying her any food. Yes, I think maybe it is a Halloween ad, good catch!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

That did not occur to me, but it answers a lot of questions if she were.

• Like 2

It bears repeating because it's a new commercial but sonic commercials suck. All of them. The latest though I can't find a link it's supposed to be funny because it's a song but they're just ki d of talking and it doesn't rhyme like it's ironically good or funny because rhe song is bad.  But no it's just bad. And dumb

And their food sucks too

• Like 2

I'm not as bothered by the Martha Medicare commercials as some of you.  That being said, I am currently being bombarded and heard something that made me chuckle.  She asks something like "Why can't they automatically renew my benefits?" and in their own commercial, they dodge the question.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I'm not as bothered by the Martha Medicare commercials as some of you.  That being said, I am currently being bombarded and heard something that made me chuckle.  She asks something like "Why can't they automatically renew my benefits?" and in their own commercial, they dodge the question.

I am growing rather fond of Martha. She also asks "Won't the phone lines all be busy?" They dodge that one too.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

This may be obscure; I see it mostly on Pluto TV. It’s for Adobe software. Some dude walks away from his pc and his toddler starts to play. Oh, but he can recover his presentation because of a “special” Adobe feature. Isn’t that just what saving your file frequently lets you do? Also, incredibly awful music which sounds like someone repeatedly saying “donkey, donkey, donkey.” It’s evidently some Japanese pop star who’s known for being an adult who looks and sounds like a kid, and isn’t that just precious. I am old and cranky. It’s official.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, 2soon2tell said:

This may be obscure; I see it mostly on Pluto TV. It’s for Adobe software. Some dude walks away from his pc and his toddler starts to play. Oh, but he can recover his presentation because of a “special” Adobe feature. Isn’t that just what saving your file frequently lets you do? Also, incredibly awful music which sounds like someone repeatedly saying “donkey, donkey, donkey.” It’s evidently some Japanese pop star who’s known for being an adult who looks and sounds like a kid, and isn’t that just precious. I am old and cranky. It’s official.

I hate that commercial too! The music sux and quite frankly, he deserves what happened for leaving his laptop on and unattended with his child in the room.

• Love 1