Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 7/30/2022 at 10:11 AM, chessiegal said:

No. She's using a floss pick.

flosspick.jpg

Tiny off-topic: I always see these things on the ground in parking lots! Office parking lots, apartment parking lots, store parking lots. WTF?

Sorry, carry on. I will take myself to Chit Chat if this plagues (or plaques, hahahhaaaa! Oy) me further.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

well that's trendy now. I see that the grocery store is now selling something called "plant butter." Otherwise known as margarine.

There's a difference between plant butter and margarine. The FDA requires that margarine contain 80% fat, and some manufacturers add dairy products to meet the 80% fat. Plant butters contain no dairy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I've gotten surveys recently asking my opinion on "plant-based whole food meal alternatives." Just call it what it is: imitation meat.

But it’s not a term that’s specific to fake meat (and processed fake meat isn’t a whole food). I think companies/advertisers are just using—often completely unnecessarily—a term that only because they think it’s trendy.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Tiny off-topic: I always see these things on the ground in parking lots! Office parking lots, apartment parking lots, store parking lots. WTF?

Sorry, carry on. I will take myself to Chit Chat if this plagues (or plaques, hahahhaaaa! Oy) me further.

The only place I have ever seen them is discarded on the ground. I figured out what they were from looking at them. I have never seen anyone ever use one. Weird, huh? 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I see them so often, it makes me I wonder if they aren't being used as some sort of drug paraphernalia that I don't understand...

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I only recently started seeing the Jimmie Walker "moneee" commercials. I don't think I'd think they were so funny if people in here didn't hate them so much.

14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah! Why does it it seem like the preferred practice is using them in public places?

My guess is that the reason they're on the ground is that they're convenient for use "on the go." And then assholes people just toss them aside when they're done, just like any other litter. If dental floss were convenient to use out and about, you'd probably see that on the ground, too.

• Sad 2
  • Love 2
On 7/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, jennifer6973 said:

They show up on METV also, all year round.  Jimmy is horrible, but not as horrible as Joe Namath.

I feel the opposite.  Joe Namath looks bad, but Jimmy Walker says "muneeeee" in a way that drives me up the wall.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 7/31/2022 at 12:27 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Is it weird for Metamucil products to jump on the bandwagon of using the term “plant based” to death? I mean, yes, the root (no pun intended) of the product is made from plants, but it seems somewhat misleading* when one iteration is a gummy thing and another contains collagen. 

No worse than the pouch of tuna I saw labeled  "GLUTEN FREE!!" Well, duh. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Exactly! Thank you! 

I've gotten surveys recently asking my opinion on "plant-based whole food meal alternatives." Just call it what it is: imitation meat.

Sorry to quote this again, but the use of "alternatives" just made me laugh. Whatever the animal content may be or not be, it would still be a meal, no?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I have a friend with a gluten allergy, and something that she explained to me was that sometimes gluten will be in things you don't expect to find gluten in because it will be used as a binder, or will be in something that's used as a filler, for example. This conversation came about because I was like, "no duh this product doesn't have gluten in it," and she was like, "This other brand of that same thing does." So even if that tuna was just plain tuna and water, if some of that brand's other tuna pouches contain ingredients that could potentially contain gluten, or if other brands' tuna pouches contain gluten, I can see how the company would find it useful to indicate in a conspicuous location which ones don't.

• Applause 3
  • Useful 16
  • Love 1
On 7/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, millennium said:

The Intel commercial where everyone's whistling (badly) "Don't Worry Be Happy." 

Is that what that song is? I hate that ad!

And I'll add my hate to the Lending Tree or whatever it is, Linda nonsense. Drives me straight for the remote. And if my Pluto all night tv of Cold Case Files or 48 Hours start showing those, there will be no sleep for me.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3

What is it with kids and their noses?  The one with the kid shoving crayons up his nose is bad enough, but the kid who has the big booger balloon coming out of his nose makes me want to 🤮🤮🤮.  This is no way to try and sell me tissues.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

What is it with kids and their noses?  The one with the kid shoving crayons up his nose is bad enough, but the kid who has the big booger balloon coming out of his nose makes me want to 🤮🤮🤮.  This is no way to try and sell me tissues.  

Don't all kids have snotty noses before they learn what tissues are for & how to use them.

17 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Is that the Starkist commercial with Candace Cameron-Burre?  What annoys me about that commercial is that this uber-busy actress is soooooo busy that she's glad to have something she can rip open and eat with a form - a whopping 90 calorie pouch of tuna.  

22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

He looks like Alfred E. Neuman.

he looks like an old man, which he is, and i don't see anything awful about his looks

give me him over JJ anyday

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a new Venus razor commercial, that is encouraging women not to shave, if they do not want to.  That is fine, but I could have done without the a super annoying jingle and the ANIMATED DANCING PUBIC HAIRS!  Yes, you heard read that correctly.

Watch Here

Edited by Miss Bones
wrong word
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

OMG! Gratefully I've managed to miss that one so far. Why oh why did I click on that link???? 

And you are so right that jingle is really annoying!!

It rendered me literally speechless!  We had the TV on for background noise while we were working on something, and I walked in the living room at beginning of the ad, and said "What the hell...?" and my husband said "What?"  I could not even answer him, I just stood there flabbergasted.  He came in and looked at the TV, confused.  And I said "Those are dancing pubes!!"

Just...wow.

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Does the mom who bought a car from Carvana and can't stop telling literally everyone all about it drive anybody else crazy?

Yes!!  Especially because my husband bought a truck from Carvana recently, and it was the worst experience buying a new vehicle that we have ever had!  I always say that he is the exact opposite of that lady, telling everyone that he encounters to AVOID Carvana. 😄

P.S.  The truck is beautiful and everything got sorted out in the end, but it was an ORDEAL, and the process was not seamless and great like that lady would have you think!

Edited by Miss Bones
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4
18 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

And you are so right that jingle is really annoying!!

As I said in the Earworm thread, I don't think the jingle is nearly as catchy as it needs to be to make a one-minute commercial out of it, but I absolutely love the "Why the mass hysteria about the pubic area, there's nothing diabolical about this little follicle" line.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

As I said in the Earworm thread, I don't think the jingle is nearly as catchy as it needs to be to make a one-minute commercial out of it, but I absolutely love the "Why the mass hysteria about the pubic area, there's nothing diabolical about this little follicle" line.

Yeah-- That is kind of clever, I guess. 🙄

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

It rendered me literally speechless!  We had the TV on for background noise while we were working on something, and I walked in the living room at beginning of the ad

wow, it was on TV? 

• Mind Blown 2
On 7/31/2022 at 12:27 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Is it weird for Metamucil products to jump on the bandwagon of using the term “plant based” to death? I mean, yes, the root (no pun intended) of the product is made from plants, but it seems somewhat misleading* when one iteration is a gummy thing and another contains collagen. 

I remember the one time I got a can of soda from Earth Fare that had a "glutton free" label on it and knowing someone was jumping on the bandwagon.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Lume eliminates crotch odor for 12 hours!!  How on earth will my dog know who I am?

😲

16 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a new Venus razor commercial, that is encouraging women not to shave, if they do not want to.  That is fine, but I could have done without the a super annoying jingle and the ANIMATED DANCING PUBIC HAIRS!  Yes, you heard read that correctly.

Watch Here

Damn it, I had that memory suppressed until now!  😀

Edited by Gharlane
  • LOL 4
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

wow, it was on TV? 

Yes!  I do not remember which channel.  I wish I did, so that I could be on the defense, and ready to plunge for the remote, for future airings.

3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I remember the one time I got a can of soda from Earth Fare that had a "glutton free" label on it and knowing someone was jumping on the bandwagon.

😲

Damn it, I had that memory suppressed until now!  😀

Ha!  Sorry! 😁

• Wink 1
4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Haha! Does it somehow prevent people from having more than one can? I saw that same thing on a menu once (I think it was at a bar that also served food, and not a place that primarily served food). 

• Wink 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2022 at 11:49 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Yes!!!  ^^^^ it is so gross. 

So here's my 2 new annoying commercials: John Hamm and Flo from Progressive Insurance. I've always disliked Flo. Now she's made me dislike the Hamm man.

And the Google pimpin' ad with "Every Breath You Take" playing in the commercial. Used to like that song. Hate it now. It's played every f'n break on every f'n channel. Yeah we get it Google, your'e all up in our ass and our personal $hit. F off.

• Love 1

AT LEAST Google the advertiser understands that the song (which I still love; The Police have always been one of my favorites) is not romantic!

Edited based on comment below this one!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

And the Google pimpin' ad with "Every Breath You Take" playing in the commercial. Used to like that song. Hate it now. It's played every f'n break on every f'n channel. Yeah we get it Google, your'e all up in our ass and our personal $hit. F off.

It's NOT a google commercial it's for Duck Duck Go which is another search engine that doesn't track your searches like google does.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It's NOT a google commercial it's for Duck Duck Go which is another search engine that doesn't track your searches like google does.

Thanks for that info. I hate the commercial so much I never watch in its entirety. I mute or change channels. Maybe Duck Duck Go should rethink their advertising strategy. For people like me. Or just for me. 😊 

• LOL 2
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love your avatar!

Oh thanks!  It is me, when I painted my face for Halloween about 10yrs ago.  I used Elmer's glue and toilet paper to make the bloody prosthetic.  I'm a Halloween junkie! 😁

• Like 4
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

Oh thanks!  It is me, when I painted my face for Halloween about 10yrs ago.  I used Elmer's glue and toilet paper to make the bloody prosthetic.  I'm a Halloween junkie! 😁

Taking to small talk.

image.png.c3dec476bf5a10ea60310cba4165bfc5.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness, just saw a Febreze commercial with yet another annoying vocal thing: using a short A sound where a short E should be — “frashness,” “make the bad,” “avvery day,” “small” (for “smell,” rhymes with “pal”), plus “cover op” (for “up”).

Also, this commercial (along with various others) makes the claim that the product has a million uses…but it’s the same use on different things (eg, spraying a throw pillow and spraying a shoe).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Oh, it's much worse than that. It's 72 clinically proven hours!

Y'know, as I was typing my comment, I had 72 in there and then the ad came on and she says 12. I know I didn't just pull that 72 out of my non-Lume'd ass.  Thanks for confirming there IS an ad with 72 hours in it.

• LOL 5
18 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Ick!  I'd hate to be those guinea pigs.  

Better than testing Gwyneth Paltrow’s candles... 🤢

Speaking of whom, I think I saw her in a Uber delivery commercial eating paper towels and contemplating eating one of her gross candles. 🤮

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

We saw that dancing pubes commercial and the period underwear several times on Reelz channel. Speechless doesn't cover it. I feel for anyone who had to try and explain that to small kids in the room. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Stevie Nicks
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Better than testing Gwyneth Paltrow’s candles... 🤢

Speaking of whom, I think I saw her in a Uber delivery commercial eating paper towels and contemplating eating one of her gross candles. 🤮

I don't know anything about Gwyneth's candles.  What is the deal there?

16 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

We saw that dancing pubes commercial and the period underwear several times on Reelz channel. Speechless doesn't cover it. I feel for anyone who had to try and explain that to small kids in the room. 🤦‍♀️

I know!  I think I would be open with my kid (I do not have any yet) about his/her own body at a fairly young age, since some girls can get their periods at 8 or 9 years old, but if my 2 or 3 year old asked me what a pubic hair is, because of this stupid unnecessary commercial, I would be a little taken aback.  Especially because then it could prompt "Why do some people shave them?"  "Well, honey, some prefer a landing strip, some like to be bare..."  No, Venus! That is quite enough of that!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1