Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Is 'eat her yogurt' anything like 'drink your milkshake'?

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

I generally don't mind Flo in the Progressive commercials (the one where she's time traveling is hilarious as she's put to death in each scenario, and I like the "After School Special" one, where "sprinkles are for winners"), but the gal from the cell phone store in really annoying me these days, as is the Toyota girl.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

Those Chick Fil A commercials with the cows. They were funny at first, but then they quickly started to bug.

Every time they went "Eat More Chikin" I would always say to myself, "What did the chickens ever do to you!"

Those Chick Fil A commercials with the cows. They were funny at first, but then they quickly started to bug.

Every time they went "Eat More Chikin" I would always say to myself, "What did the chickens ever do to you!"

Every link in the food chain for itself.

• Love 9

It's irritating to me to suggest that women will be satisfied with a Diet Dr. Pepper when they want a cupcake or whatever sweet of choice. Eat the cupcake!

Quite right. In my personal experience -- er, I mean research -- the subject sucks down the consolation prize then goes for the gold anyway.

• Love 5

It's irritating to me to suggest that women will be satisfied with a Diet Dr. Pepper when they want a cupcake or whatever sweet of choice. Eat the cupcake!

It could be worse. They could have some random person show up and shrink the Diet Dr. Pepper down to the size of a thimble. That would really be obnoxious.

• Love 2

Taking Taco Bell on the train should be considered an assault on the other passengers.  So one idiot can hold on to the pole while eating his crappy Taco Bell one-handed breakfast while the other non-TB eating idiot falls onto a busty woman's chest.  There are so many horrible things in this ad, starting with the stinky food.  Then the thought that the older woman would be happy to have this ass fall and plant his face in between her breasts - aargh!  I can guarantee their is no one who would be adding having some greasy, stupid stranger fall into their cleavage to their fantasies.  He would be much more likely to get a hand to the face or a knee to the nuts than a knowing smile.  

• Love 7

There's a couple commercials where a couple are getting engaged or getting married (State Farm). In the engaged one, the guy is getting down on 1 knee to propose and you can see his hair is ragged shaggy. In the getting married one, the groom needs both a haircut and a shave. Drives me nuts.

In the stupid truck vs sedan commercial showing the same guy, the spot that asks the focus group what kind of facial hair truck guy would have (mutton chops) all the focus group are burly kind of men with beards.

Anyone notice if there are any minorities in the focus groups?

Taking Taco Bell on the train should be considered an assault on the other passengers.  So one idiot can hold on to the pole while eating his crappy Taco Bell one-handed breakfast while the other non-TB eating idiot falls onto a busty woman's chest.  There are so many horrible things in this ad, starting with the stinky food.  Then the thought that the older woman would be happy to have this ass fall and plant his face in between her breasts - aargh!  I can guarantee their is no one who would be adding having some greasy, stupid stranger fall into their cleavage to their fantasies.  He would be much more likely to get a hand to the face or a knee to the nuts than a knowing smile.  

Unless in the next shot you see her big washer-woman fist slowly rising from her side a-la Miss Sofia...

• Love 4
(edited)

I didn't realize that was Justin Guarini in the commercial.

Am I sppsd to know who that is?

There's a couple commercials where a couple are getting engaged or getting married (State Farm). In the engaged one, the guy is getting down on 1 knee to propose and you can see his hair is ragged shaggy. In the getting married one, the groom needs both a haircut and a shave. Drives me nuts.

That reminds me... There's this one ad with a bench of men waiting to be interviewed when the one guy across the room spontaneously decides to shave his head, only to reveal that he was looking at the board of directors' pictures on the wall, above the other interviewees, who are all bald. Seeing that smug suckup asshole infuriates me! Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 1

RE: Belvita/Velveeta...

I have a co-worker who is obsessed with Belvita, and the first several times she talked about it and offered them to me, I thought, "Really? You're eating straight Velveeta for breakfast?" Which, I like Velveeta, but that seemed rather odd! lol

• Love 1

I had no idea that was Justin Guarini.  Ugh.  Go away.

About the truck commercial with the kids, why does (whichever manufacturer) think that the opinions of random kids matter when thinking about buying a vehicle?  Let alone a kid named Norton.  (Apologies to any Nortons out there.)

• Love 2
(edited)

What if you hate Dr. Pepper and cupcakes?  Both of them make me gag.

Edited by Neurochick

One of the latest Nationwide commercials bugs me inordinately (and it's not even the one with the "then I died!" kid!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAAvZURxFFw

It's the one called "Toddler," in which all these little kids in frustrating customer service scenarios are exasperated because nothing is going right -- waiting at the DMV, a little girl is #14 (out of 83), a little boy on hold throws his cell phone, another little girl's fruitlessly trying to get help at the scene of a fender-bender, etc.

Julia Roberts's dry, humorless voiceover intones: "At the Nation, we know how it feels when you aren't treated like a priority.  But we put members first." 

Yes, the kids are mildly funny and cute. But the thing is, the tagline and scenarios make no sense at all as far as the kids go -- there's no real reason to use the kid stand-ins here except that they're automatically cute and it's been a recent ad trend lately (like the far more successful spot of the little kid imagining himself driving to work, etc.). But the kids don't fit the taglines or even the scenarios here at all. They aren't being treated like kids, so it just doesn't work for me.

• Love 3

In the stupid truck vs sedan commercial showing the same guy, the spot that asks the focus group what kind of facial hair truck guy would have (mutton chops) all the focus group are burly kind of men with beards.

Anyone notice if there are any minorities in the focus groups?

Responding to myself:  I saw the commercial 10,000 more times since I posted and there is one African American (bearded of course) guy in the focus group. 

I guess I can conclude that all demographics, regardless of age, sex, race and facial hair status agree that making stereotypcial assumptions based on a single image is perfectly reasonable and accurate.

• Love 3

I guess I can conclude that all demographics, regardless of age, sex, race and facial hair status agree that making stereotypcial assumptions based on a single image is perfectly reasonable and accurate.

I was almost going to give Chevy a pass for those commercials.  The "You know you want a truck" thing seemed like Chevy was in on the joke; they're poking fun at how buying a truck is a guilty pleasure supposed to improve your image.

But Chevy can suck it.  After they saturate us with this particular campaign, they'll be on to the next one.  And it'll go right back to the un-ironic "Manly men drive manly trucks!"

• Love 2

It's the one called "Toddler," in which all these little kids in frustrating customer service scenarios are exasperated because nothing is going right -- waiting at the DMV, a little girl is #14 (out of 83), a little boy on hold throws his cell phone, another little girl's fruitlessly trying to get help at the scene of a fender-bender, etc.

Julia Roberts's dry, humorless voiceover intones: "At the Nation, we know how it feels when you aren't treated like a priority. But we put members first."

Yes, the kids are mildly funny and cute. But the thing is, the tagline and scenarios make no sense at all as far as the kids go -- there's no real reason to use the kid stand-ins here except that they're automatically cute and it's been a recent ad trend lately (like the far more successful spot of the little kid imagining himself driving to work, etc.). But the kids don't fit the taglines or even the scenarios here at all. They aren't being treated like kids, so it just doesn't work for me.

I think they're trying to say that we're all a bunch of helpless children who need "The Nation's" special brand of adult supervision.

• Love 1
Wait a minute.  I missed this comment originally and I haven't seen this ad, so let me get this straight:  They are showing the picture of the guy to some people and then asking them what facial hair the guy would have?  Doesn't it make more sense to not show me a picture of a guy and then have me guess what kind of facial hair he would have?  Because otherwise, I'd just look at the photo and be all, "Uh, that facial hair."
  • Love 1
(edited)

One of the latest Nationwide commercials bugs me inordinately (and it's not even the one with the "then I died!" kid!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAAvZURxFFw

Julia Roberts's dry, humorless voiceover intones: "At the Nation, we know how it feels when you aren't treated like a priority. But we put members first."

The tagline and its implications are what infuriate me. 'Don't like waiting your turn? Well, who cares that 68 other human beings with better things to do got to the DMV before you - get Nationwide and we'll let you (figuratively) cut right in front of those peons! Nationwide... where the rules of society no longer apply to you.' First the Liberty Mutual jerks, now this - must all insurance be marketed to selfish assholes with entitlement problems who are looking for a way to game the system? Edited by Stella MD
  • Love 6
(edited)

Nah, we should reach for the cupcake-flavored yogurt instead.  Because that's JUST LIKE eating the cupcake.

I think they're trying to say that we're all a bunch of helpless children who need "The Nation's" special brand of adult supervision.

Well, they won't let us die in an accident, so there's that.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 9

I hope that when H&R Block returns with its tax time commercials next year that the green-tie wearing spokesperson has been replaced by someone slightly less annoying like, say, Jar-Jar Binks.

• Love 10
(edited)

I hope that when H&R Block returns with its tax time commercials next year that the green-tie wearing spokesperson has been replaced by someone slightly less annoying like, say, Jar-Jar Binks.

I should know never to read this forum with a mouthful of water (or Diet Dr. Pepper).  You owe me a keyboard!

Edited by Aquarius

Well, who cares that 68 other human beings with better things to do got to the DMV before you - get Nationwide and we'll let you (figuratively) cut right in front of those peons!

They never really say that, but you're right that there really isn't anyone else they could put you ahead of to make you first but another "member". As far as knowing how you feel, that probably translates into having one of those "we care about your business" voices come on once in a while when you're on hold.

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I think he's the owner or the CEO or something? Regardless, he can gtfo any time now. Especially with his creepy "I hear the money whispering" ad.
  • Love 1

This doesn't really annoy me, but just makes me laugh because it's unrealistic.  There's a cat food ad where the woman who owns the cat got married and the cat is running away from the new hubby.  Then the woman voiceovers that the cat was having stomach problems and there's a scene where the woman comes out of the bedroom (or bathroom) barefooted and steps in something.  Presumably vomit?  And the man and the woman look really worried.  Come on, it's a cat, cats throw up.  I know this from years and years of experience.

• Love 7