Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 1/29/2017 at 9:11 AM, Ohwell said:

There's a commercial where the woman says she raises "honest, simple turkeys."  Who knew all these years that I'd been eating dishonest turkey?  

Seriously, I hate the way the word "honest" is used now to describe food/products without preservatives.  Same thing with "clean" food.

Sort of related to the buzzwords of "clean food" and "simple" ingredients, I kind of hate the ones that make sure to claim that the meat animals are raised humanely. Whatever--sell your product and all, but come on with that shit. 

• Love 6

Well, the point of the oregano is that it means they don't need to feed the chickens antibiotics. Either way, agree the chickens don't give a damn. They are banking on consumers who don't want antibiotics fed to their meat source.

The commercial for the "Kind" bar annoys me. "Nice" is telling people what they want to hear, "kind" is being honest or some such nonsense. Umm, just no! Kind is listed as a definition of nice on dictionary.com. The definition of kind says nothing about honesty. Now they are just making this bullshit up.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Oh, and I forgot the Purdue chicken one where they're crowing about the fact that they add oregano to the drinking water.  Like the chickens give a damn.  

Bahahahhaaaaa--"crowing"!

Not that it matters I guess, but maybe the chickens don't even like oregano! Shut up, Purdue--I still have no faith that those chickens are remotely comfortable.

• Love 6

You guys are cracking me so consistently up today!

Now they are just making this bullshit up.

Well, you know, there are facts and then there are alternative facts.

Oh, and I forgot the Purdue chicken one where they're crowing about the fact that they add oregano to the drinking water.  Like the chickens give a damn.

I just hate the way the woman says water like wudder.

• Love 9

My sister used to say "wudder" when she was little, even though none of the rest of us did! She also inexplicably said "gawbidge" for "garbage" when we do not have that accent (and once, at like age three, called my mother "rubbish," haha!). And, to this day, she says "lahndry" instead of "laundry."

My mother did, and still does, say "bathroom" and "bag" with a really...hmmm...an elongated A sound? I don't know how to describe it--maybe sort of like A sound in the the name Ann or the words ban/man/plan? But that's because she grew up in South Jersey. Still, we North Jerz folks (i.e., her own daughters and husband) mocked her mercilessly.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
On 1/29/2017 at 8:11 AM, Ohwell said:

There's a commercial where the woman says she raises "honest, simple turkeys."  Who knew all these years that I'd been eating dishonest turkey?  

Seriously, I hate the way the word "honest" is used now to describe food/products without preservatives.  Same thing with "clean" food.

So I've been eating filthy, lying birds? 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, habenero said:

some of us  don't have a DVR and cable and need to watch tv ads in real time ?  I really feel your pain - Are you at the library right now to post on the net? Jus wondrn

I have neither cable nor a DVR and do have internet at home, if this was an honest question.

• Love 3

The Gatorade bars commercial with all the guys singing with their mouths full makes me want to kill myself. I have absolutely no idea what they're singing. It's the most annoying commercial. Chew your damn food before you attempt to sing a song. Nobody can understand your dumb ass.

• Love 8

I don't have a problem with Gatorade making energy bars, but I think they should call them something else.  It makes it seem like they're candy-like, coming in Gatorade flavors, like when they make lip balm the flavor of soda pop.  (I haven't seen the commercial.)

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, Bastet said:

I'd never seen that commercial before, but that's gross.  I like the one where the guy goes into the other room to get something to wipe his kid's face and comes back in to find a clean kid and the dog licking his lips, but that kid had the normal amount of food around the mouth for someone little and not all that coordinated yet.  This shit, of a kid deliberately smearing food all over the place, including dumping it on his head, without a parent stepping in to teach him to eat food, not play with it, is on a different level.

All I can think when I see that commercial is: "DOG GERMS!  GET IODINE!"

• Love 7

I just saw an ad for Public Storage with this girl saying, "So, I learned in school that the Earth revolves around the sun, which gives us four seasons."  Uh, no.  The seasons come about because of the tilt of the Earth on its axis.

• Love 9

"A place for Mom"

- is that why they made cemeteries? Dad goes there? IF this service or whatever was "A Place for Dad" we would have GMA ; Kelly and who or whatever having this on their show;  and all the soccer moms marching.  Still,,,, this service seems ok - no protests - only the cricket sound.  Makes me sick

And then we have the OLD valentines day coming up - Dad gets a $89 drill from Menard s

Mom gets a $6k diamond ring from Jared (another crock of feces holiday)

Maybe it should be named a place for Them?

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, habenero said:

"A place for Mom"

Visiting Angels does a good job of gender balance in their commercials. But then, they are advocates for people staying in their homes.

Are we ready for the SuperBowl ads? Some have been leaked already.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ennui said:

Visiting Angels does a good job of gender balance in their commercials. But then, they are advocates for people staying in their homes.

Are we ready for the SuperBowl ads? Some have been leaked already.

We had Visiting Angels in for my FIL. They were okay until we caught one of them stealing.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, chessiegal said:

Well, the point of the oregano is that it means they don't need to feed the chickens antibiotics. Either way, agree the chickens don't give a damn. They are banking on consumers who don't want antibiotics fed to their meat source.

The commercial for the "Kind" bar annoys me. "Nice" is telling people what they want to hear, "kind" is being honest or some such nonsense. Umm, just no! Kind is listed as a definition of nice on dictionary.com. The definition of kind says nothing about honesty. Now they are just making this bullshit up.

How very unkind (by their definition) of them.  

Current commercial driving me insane: the Blue Cross/Blue Shield commercial with the girl finding the courage to climb the ladder on the slide.  Not because the commercial itself is bad, but because the tag line "Live Fearless" is grammatically incorrect.  It's "Live Fearlessly" or "Be Fearless", dammit!

And don't get me started on Stella Artois' "Be Legacy"!  UGH.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I'm no fan of "the chalice" - it's a fucking glass.  For beer. 

"Chalice" always reminds me of the Indiana Jones scene with all the potential Grail cups - "choose wisely".

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

because the tag line "Live Fearless" is grammatically incorrect.  It's "Live Fearlessly" or "Be Fearless", dammit!

I once worked at a place where there was a sign on the parking lot exit that said "Drive Safe!" or something like that. I asked why it didn't say "drive safely," and was told that psychologically, humans remember the incorrect, awkward phrase more than the grammatically correct. Wrong has more impact. 

• Love 3

There's an ad for Kraft mac and cheese that's back in circulation that bugs me which features a little boy ratting out his father to the cops for "stealing" his mac and cheese, resulting in a SWAT team arriving at the house. The way the little pycho smirks annoys me.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ennui said:

I once worked at a place where there was a sign on the parking lot exit that said "Drive Safe!" or something like that. I asked why it didn't say "drive safely," and was told that psychologically, humans remember the incorrect, awkward phrase more than the grammatically correct. Wrong has more impact. 

There's also some historical precedent.  During the Middle English period, (about 1100 - 1500 CE), adverbs and adjectives were for the most part identical because the standard way to turn an adjective into an adverb was to simply add -e to the adjective.  Eventually, this adverbial ending dropped off because the -e stopped being pronounced, but grammatically, one could still say "live fearless" or "drive safe" and be correct because there was no difference in form between the adjective and the adverb, and this usage persists even today.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, msani19 said:

That new McDonalds commercial is going to make me gouge my eyes out and rip my ears off. It's so damn obnoxious. I need them to pull that one. Forever. No on every level.

The one where there's "a Big Mac for that" or whatever?  I feel the same.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

There's an ad for Kraft mac and cheese that's back in circulation that bugs me which features a little boy ratting out his father to the cops for "stealing" his mac and cheese, resulting in a SWAT team arriving at the house. The way the little pycho smirks annoys me.

Ooh, I want to reach through the screen and smack that kid!

There's one Panera commercial that, in addition to being pretentious and annoying, is also, in my opinion, poorly written.  She says something along the lines of "When did mixing food with non-food become food?  Fortunately, at Panera, our food is 100% clean."  Wouldn't it sound better to say "...our food is 100% food"?  As it is, their second sentence has nothing to do with their first sentence.

Of course, they probably did it on purpose.  The listener expects to hear "food" in the second sentence, so it catches their attention when they hear something else.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't sound like it needs to be proofread.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Jamoche said:

"Chalice" always reminds me of the Indiana Jones scene with all the potential Grail cups - "choose wisely".

It always reminds me of that Danny Kaye movie The Court Jester:

But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace! ... The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true! Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true

• Love 7
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

poorly written.  She says something along the lines of "When did mixing food with non-food become food? 

I agree that it's poorly written because you need the visuals to understand (they show the dyes, etc.). If you're listening from the other room, it doesn't work.

• Love 1