Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Oh, spill! Was it anything like the urban legend of the scorned wife who loaded up hollow curtain rods with shrimp? Hee hee.

that may have been where I got the idea, lol. I've pretty much said what I did, but it did involve a boss that I really disliked, who made me work a Saturday before she would let me transfer out of the department. I hate filing and I really hate having to give up a day off to file for a nasty boss. That really was the only time I've done something like that. I never heard anything about the smell, so I guess the mice got to it first. And this probably should go in small talk.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2016 at 0:38 PM, ari333 said:

"I love my lax"

Ugggg

That is all

Then there is the Senekot commercial where the (presumed) wife is practically apologizing to the (presumed) husband for "getting constipated sometimes". And he is fascinated. Sheesh. 

• Love 7
On 11/2/2016 at 6:23 PM, ennui said:

I'm noticing a change in tone in the Liberty Mutual ads. They seem vaguely hostile, instead of merely whiny.

There are two versions of the AA couple where the husband "clipped" a food truck. In one, the woman is kind of "poor me", in the other she is the personification of the angry black woman trope. Geez, if looks could kill.

On 11/3/2016 at 3:17 PM, iMonrey said:

How about the lady whose kitchen smells so badly of garbage it's like there's a giant dumpster where the kitchen island is? And she's gone "nose-blind" to the smell, apparently, so her solution is to Febreeze the hell out of her kitchen. Instead of, oh I don't know, taking out the garbage. Are we still pretending Febreeze has some sci-fi like ability to "erase" odors instead of just overpowering them like any other room deodorizer? And maybe I'm just not throwing enough rotten food away (I have very little food waste in my home; my garbage is mostly cans, wrappers and other containers) but my trash never smells that bad.

Any food waste in my house that is potentially asphyxiating lives in double plastic bags in the freezer til pickup day.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Then there is the Senekot commercial where the (presumed) wife is practically apologizing to the (presumed) husband for "getting constipated sometimes". And he is fascinated. Sheesh. 

I was more annoyed by the fact that she had to tell him that she had this issue. Because they live in the same damn house. Not that being constipated should be a subject for dinner conversation, but that they're A) married and B) living in the same place makes it look like they don't communicate very well. Maybe they're newly married? I have clearly over-thought this.

• Love 6
On 10/30/2016 at 9:24 AM, TattleTeeny said:

And one for Secret: dumb nervous hipster girl practicing to speak to her boss about some shit--"Mr. Boss, I need a favor." Really? You're gonna start by telling him what you need? I suppose Mr. Boss might be casual and very approachable and all...but confidence is one thing, an attitude of entitlement is another! 

I can't stand the chick in that commercial. She looks like she hasn't washed or brushed her hair in two weeks and she looks like she pulled an old suit out of her dad's closet and decided to wear it.  That commercial gets an automatic channel change in my house. 

• Love 8

Not enraged, just annoyed, but there are several aspects to the Jennifer Aniston/ Emirates Airline commercials that bug me. Mostly JA. But the latest one with the simply adorwabul tow headed kid is getting on my last nerve. Probably belongs in the Strudel Boy thread, but maybe they could have waited til he had his six months worth of speech therapy? 

Edited by SoSueMe
trying to figure out the phonetics of "adorwabul"
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Not enraged, just annoyed, but there are several aspects to the Jennifer Aniston/ Emirates Airline commercials that bug me. Mostly JA. But the latest one with the simply adorwabul tow headed kid is getting on my last nerve. Probably belongs in the Strudel Boy thread, but maybe they could have waited til he had his six months worth of speech therapy? 

I actually don't mind her or the commercials much.

But that little kid needs to be smacked.  What a little douche

7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

What is really reprehensible is JA doing "Eyelove".  UGH.  And shame on Lennon/McCartney for allowing it.  The ad doesn't make any sense, either.

"My friends know me SOOO well - but apparently haven't noticed me hitting the eye drops from sunrise to sunset." Dafuq?

Edited by riley702
  • Love 10

I don't know how people can be nose blind to their kitchen garbage.  What stinks up our garbage is when there's a meat tray in there and it doesn't get taken out soon enough.  You notice it right when you walk in the front door.  Maybe those people never leave their house, and that's why they're nose blind to it.

I have been gifted/cursed with a sense of smell that is far too powerful. I'd be fine taking out the garbage every single night at the slightest hint of smell.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CandyKat said:

Signed in specifically to say...smellfie?  What. The. Fuck.  I can't even with this one.  Fuck off Hanes. 

Seriously. No one is that obvious about smelling him/herself

15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate the actor's voice--of the dog--in the Beneful commercial. He's trying to sound like he's talking with his mouth full, and it just sounds dumb.

I F'ing HATE that commercial!  It just bugs me that we are too assume that Beneful's is so damn tasty that a dog is going to resort to behaving as if he has no table manners.  (not to mention all the bad things I've heard about Benefuls)

• Love 2
On 11/6/2016 at 2:43 PM, Brattinella said:

What is really reprehensible is JA doing "Eyelove".  UGH.  And shame on Lennon/McCartney for allowing it.  The ad doesn't make any sense, either.

Wish I could give you 100 "likes" for that post, Brat!  Frickin' HATE that commercial!!!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate the actor's voice--of the dog--in the Beneful commercial. He's trying to sound like he's talking with his mouth full, and it just sounds dumb.

I think it's cute, but they use a variety of different dogs in several commercials, and they use the same guy to do the voice of all of them.

It doesn't even sound to me like an actual full mouth that's talking; if this makes sense at all, it sounds like someone trying super-hard (and failing) to sound that way!

Speaking of voice sounds in commercials (radio ones in particular), I also can't the women's voiceovers for adult-merchandise websites; I assume they're supposed to sound sexy and alluring but they're always nasal and whiny and drawing out words in a very strange way.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2016 at 8:14 PM, bitchin camaro said:

I came home to what smelled like dead animal farts, and it turned out to be cabbage that I had JUST gotten from the farmer's market that had a tiny rotten spot. It was one of the most awful things I have ever smelled in my life. And being the cheapass that I am, I sliced off the bad part and ate the rest - it was fine. :)

Every time I read "dead animal farts", I collapse into a laughing fit! I'm 12.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, Brattinella said:

I looked it up, and apparently it is a website that disseminates information about chronic dry-eye conditions.  So the cause itself is admirable, but the commercial is lame.

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Wow, I thought we already knew all about "chronic dry-eye" from that squinty-lady in the hospital setting.  Is there an epidemic of dry-eye or something we have found out about? 

It goes with the epidemics of incontinence and digestive issues.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Dear God.  The Nespresso ad is back.   This is going to be like White Diamonds; we'll be seeing this every Christmas 20 years after DeVito and Clooney are dead.  

The other day, I was making my (really not fancy and quite easy) French press coffee in the kitchen at work. A man I work with commented on it like everyone does, for some reason, and then proceeded to tell me about having been sold a Nespresso machine at the mall. He and his wife were shopping at one of those kitchen stores--like a Pottery Barn or a Williams-Sonoma, oh, he can't think of the name of it (Sur la Table)--and were given a sample and it was the best damn coffee he'd ever had! They decided to buy the Nespresso machine! It was about $250, which seemed like a big investment, but when you think about spending $5 on a latte at Starbucks every day, it really adds up; I mean, you can get back your investment in OH MY GOD SHUT UP AND LET ME GO BACK TO MY DESK WITH MY COFFEE!!!!

Thanks for reminding me about that fun time at work, @Maverick.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 12

So excited to have found this thread! Theses three are my tops of the annoying commercials that I mute every time they are on 

kfc with the colonel dressed up as a coach smacking a "football player" holding a platter of chicken in the ass three times. The faces that jackass makes while getting hit piss me off, and don't get me started on that stupid colonel. 

The att family who go into panic mode when they lose internet for seven stupid minutes. I want to smack all of their asshole faces. Especially dad and that mouth breather son. 

The mom in her car who's bitch of a daughter has her face plastered to her phone and snaps at her mom green means go. Stupid mom hits the gas and plows into the car in front of her. It's for some dumb car place, maybe maaco?

the worst part is they replay these damn ads over and over. Making my rage grow. 

Edited by Violet1313
Spelling
  • Love 2

The mom in her car who's bitch of a daughter has her face plastered to her phone and snaps at her mom green means go. Stupid mom hits the gas and plows into the car in front of her. It's for some dumb car place, maybe maaco?

When mom turns to say "Take your brother's sock out of your mouth," the camera angle is from the back of the car, looking forward.  She's nowhere near THAT close to the car in front of her that she should bang into it when green means go. It's one of those "hate with the fire of a thousand nuns" commercials for me.

On 11/9/2016 at 8:19 PM, bilgistic said:

The other day, I was making my (really not fancy and quite easy) French press coffee in the kitchen at work. A man I work with commented on it like everyone does, for some reason, and then proceeded to tell me about having been sold a Nespresso machine at the mall. He and his wife were shopping at one of those kitchen stores--like a Pottery Barn or a Williams-Sonoma, oh, he can't think of the name of it (Sur la Table)--and were given a sample and it was the best damn coffee he'd ever had! They decided to buy the Nespresso machine! It was about $250, which seemed like a big investment, but when you think about spending $5 on a latte at Starbucks every day, it really adds up; I mean, you can get back your investment in OH MY GOD SHUT UP AND LET ME GO BACK TO MY DESK WITH MY COFFEE!!!!

Thanks for reminding me about that fun time at work, @Maverick.

When we were setting up our wedding registry at Williams-Sonoma, the lady kept offering us some Nespresso (not simply "coffee," "Nespresso").  And finally it was like, fine, we'll take some of the damn coffee, but we're not registering for one of those things.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2016 at 5:23 PM, Silver Raven said:

They couldn't find a guy who doesn't sing like his mouth is full of oatmeal?

Ok, there's a short version of this commercial.  I was looking up stuff last night, and had the Family Feud on as background noise for a few hours.  Something in the background music sounds *exactly* like my phone's quiet buzz telling me I missed a voicemail or text when this commercial plays through the TV.  It was incredibly obnoxious because it played EVERY commercial break and you're just so attuned to checking who tried to contact you, so as soon as it started I wanted to grab the phone..

But I also agree about the singing.

• Love 2

As far as the "noseblind" stuff, it's sort of true:  I can always smell other people's dogs when I go to their house, but don't immediately smell mine as much when I come home (it just smells like home).  But I'm not blind to it, it's just my own specific stink.  I did put a "stinky" trash can outside for things like meat trays, shrimp shells, moldy cheese etc. since I have the space, just so I don't get the kitchen dumpster smell because I only generate one small trash bag a week.

Thing is, Febreze doesn't possibly smell like it cleaned the room.  It makes it smell like whatever the room stinks like, with nasty Febreze on top of it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Joe Blow said:

As far as the "noseblind" stuff, it's sort of true:  I can always smell other people's dogs when I go to their house, but don't immediately smell mine as much when I come home (it just smells like home).  But I'm not blind to it, it's just my own specific stink.  I did put a "stinky" trash can outside for things like meat trays, shrimp shells, moldy cheese etc. since I have the space, just so I don't get the kitchen dumpster smell because I only generate one small trash bag a week.

Thing is, Febreze doesn't possibly smell like it cleaned the room.  It makes it smell like whatever the room stinks like, with nasty Febreze on top of it.

I don't care one way or another about Febreze, but I do hate that they're trying to force a new buzzword with "noseblind".  No, just no.  At least Lysol finally stopped cramming "healthing" down our throats.

BTW, this is no comment on you, @Joe Blow--it's Febreze that I'm annoyed with.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Joe Blow said:

I'm French, so don't take this as an insult to French people. I noticed when we were in France that the entire country (at least Paris and environs to the north) smell like Febreze.

• Love 1