Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I see Jack in the Box has another commercial that belongs to my least favorite genre: Our Customers Are Jerks and Morons. Guy tells his friend that he was mugged by a bear on the way back from Jack's, and that's why friend's croissant isn't in the bag. Luckily, Jack showed up and delt with the bear, so he still has his croissant. Hate!

So, it actually could have been worse. They could have called him Mather instead.

OH LORD Why not just name the poor child dingleberry and be done with it.

Could be worse. They could name their kids after authors. "This is my son Lovecraft, and over there is my girl Moorcock."

• Love 5

I see Jack in the Box has another commercial that belongs to my least favorite genre: Our Customers Are Jerks and Morons. Guy tells his friend that he was mugged by a bear on the way back from Jack's, and that's why friend's croissant isn't in the bag. Luckily, Jack showed up and delt with the bear, so he still has his croissant. Hate!

I love that ad, I think it's hysterical.

• Love 3
mmecorday, on 09 Mar 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

The lyrics are essentially word salad. It doesn't make any sense at all:

So my kids don’t have to forage

Got two jobs to pay a mortgage

And I’ve also got a brain

Life’s short, talk is cheap

I’ll be working while you sleep

Still don’t think I’ve got a brain?

You can try I’ll do it faster

I was born a multi-tasker

I was raised against the grain

I took two bullets in the chest

Got three kids, I never rest

And I’ve also got a brain

You think a resume’s enough

Who’ll step up with things get tough?

Don’t you want that kind of brain?

A degree is a degree

You’re going to want someone like me

But only if you have a brain

See what happens when you're trying to write a jingle while watching The Wizard of Oz whilst also being high?

• Love 4

Or Cotton.

I know I'll get flack, but I think people knew how to name kids back in the day, Cotton Mather, Learned Hand (court of appeals judge), Felix Frankfurter (supreme court justice).  Those are some heavy, solid names.....people today are busy name their kids Applekore and Bananapell and what not.  I wouldn't have the stones to name my child Cotton, but it would be pretty awesome if I did, because he (or she) would be something else!

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 9

I am not sure why it rubs me the wrong way, but something feels vaguely and borderline inappropriately ethnocentric about Carrie Underwood schooling me on "the AmAIRican look" (which is apparently...some mascara?).

That's why I'd never have sliders.  Of course, I have French doors, so they'd only have to break one pane right next to the lock, so what do I know? lol

In my last apartment, we got the best cross-breeze in the summer by leaving the slider, which led from the LR to the courtyard-facing balcony, open six inches or so. The problem was that our balcony was connected to the next unit's and that it wasn't that high up. So we employed the "stick" method (with some random length of metal pipe I had from god knows what). It was actually perfect--so low-tech yet seemingly no way for anyone outside to get that thing to move...and breezy fresh air all night long (unlike my current and nicer place, which only has windows along the back walls! I want my breeze!).

Also, back when I was little, we lived in a super-old house and the "servant entrance" door lock kept malfunctioning (why my dad didn't just buy a whole new door, I don't know--maybe it was original or something). But he put a plank of perfect-sized wood between the door's base and the bottom step of the stairs that were right inside it, and that too was perfect; even if someone were to punch out the glass, they'd need to somehow lift the board up and to the side to open the door.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I am not sure why it rubs me the wrong way, but something feels vaguely and borderline inappropriately ethnocentric about Carrie Underwood schooling me on "the AmAIRican look" (which is apparently...some mascara?).

I got that vibe from her commercial the first time I saw it.  "I'm blonde, white, and AmAIRican!"

• Love 6

I got that vibe from her commercial the first time I saw it.  "I'm blonde, white, and AmAIRican!"

I remember thinking that I am clearly not in Almay's demographic.....which is just fine because its about the last product I would be interested in using.

So many musicians selling mascara.  Katy Perry, Carrie Underwood, Pink, Janelle Monay.  I guess if you want to be a musician in this day and age you better have some impressive lashes!

• Love 4

I hate, hate, hate that Janelle Monae Pepsi commercial.  Partly because I hate Pepsi, partly because I can't stand Janelle Monae - I find her music to be awful and something about the way she looks makes me desperately try to change the channel (I think it's her weird hair).  But the thing that bugs me the most about it is that in the middle section, she's dressed like Madonna circa Like A Virgin, while the song she's dancing to is Express Yourself, by which time Madonna had an entirely different look.  Yeah, I know, that's mighty picky of me, but it still drives me up the wall.

Agree to the hate of the commercial and the non-specific reason Monae bugs, but since reading this post I have seen the commercial about a billion times.  The stupid first part has the Do You Love Me? song by the Contours that was released in 1962 and had commercial success.  The dancers are all dressed in what I think it considered the mod style which was associated with the mid to late 60s. 

• Love 2

Yeah! Like, if it's strictly lashes that classifies the look as American (which is dumb in itself), the spokeslady could just as easily be a black woman. I might be reading too much into it (though I am not usually a person who sees nefariousness all over the media) but the blue-eyed blond and girl-next-door thing make it seem kind of...White Powerish?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

No one has the right to be that patronizing douche who does the finger thing.  But the very last person in the whole wide world who should feel the right to be a douchey asshat to a security guard is someone going to UoP.  Because, they will most likely be the ones begging for that security job with full benefits when they realize that they have a degree almost no one recognizes.  I'm not sure who they thought they were going to attract with that part of the ad, but it is absolutely delusional on their part.  Really?  Your "students" are so intellectually superior that their studies can't be interrupted by a man who wants to just do his job and go home?  Because your "studies" are so groundbreaking and important?  Your groundbreaking, world changing work at a "university" that is pretty much a diploma mill?

I thought the entire UoP commercial was annoying, but that part was downright offensive.  I hate when anyone feels themselves so superior to others as to give that "finger up" gesture.  He is a human being, and so are you, learn to use your words buttercup.  I don't care if you're going to Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, or Yale, you don't need to be condescending to people just because you think they are in a lower social class than you because they aren't getting that amazing UoP education.

Especially since the song talks about how doing "lowly" jobs doesn't mean you don't have a brain. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of the man himself, but I've always enjoyed the name Cotton Mather.  I love that there's a band called that.

• Love 4

For me, the MOST annoying thing about the University of Phoenix commercial is not the terrible lyrics.   It's the little -girl pouty sing-song voice she uses.  A song asking employers to take a woman seriously should NOT be sung in a baby-whiny voice.

• Love 23

For me, the MOST annoying thing about the University of Phoenix commercial is not the terrible lyrics.   It's the little -girl pouty sing-song voice she uses.  A song asking employers to take a woman seriously should NOT be sung in a baby-whiny voice.

BINGO!

• Love 5

Yeah! Like, if it's strictly lashes that classifies the look as American (which is dumb in itself), the spokeslady could just as easily be a black woman. I might be reading too much into it (though I am not usually a person who sees nefariousness all over the media) but the blue-eyed blond and girl-next-door thing make it seem kind of...White Powerish?

I thought the "American Look" business was in response to the gap-toothed cretin who snots about getting "the London Look" on those other mascara ads.

• Love 6

The Liberty car insurance commercials -  I figured out why I am so over-the-top annoyed by them.   It's the use of  "YOU", instead of "I".    It's a pet peeve of mine.  People do it to distance themselves from what they are saying.   I've heard people do it in real life, and people do the same thing when questioned about their experiences - saying "You feel"  instead of "I Felt". 

Anyway, that's what drives me up the wall.  Everyone of those Liberty commercials - You name your car Brad -- You smash it into a tree.   

No, I didn't, -  YOU DID! 

• Love 14

The Liberty car insurance commercials -  I figured out why I am so over-the-top annoyed by them.   It's the use of  "YOU", instead of "I".    It's a pet peeve of mine.  People do it to distance themselves from what they are saying.   I've heard people do it in real life, and people do the same thing when questioned about their experiences - saying "You feel"  instead of "I Felt". 

Anyway, that's what drives me up the wall.  Everyone of those Liberty commercials - You name your car Brad -- You smash it into a tree.   

You see they are attempting empathy through the power of suggestion. Or if they are from a galaxy far far away. They are attempting to Jedi mind trick "the you".

• Love 7

I've also noticed different angles of view of the Statue and the LibertyMorons in their parks seem much closer.  Y'know, they could at least fill in the greenscreen with a picture of the Statue that's actually available in real life.  The folks in NYC must roll their eyes at the stupid alleged locations.

I think I'd rather see them at a bus stop with the bus plastered with a pic of Lady Liberty.  ...cause you know they're all walking in that park.  Nobody's driving anywhere.  Car's in the shop, y'know.

• Love 7

I've also noticed different angles of view of the Statue and the LibertyMorons in their parks seem much closer.  Y'know, they could at least fill in the greenscreen with a picture of the Statue that's actually available in real life.  The folks in NYC must roll their eyes at the stupid alleged locations.

I think I'd rather see them at a bus stop with the bus plastered with a pic of Lady Liberty.  ...cause you know they're all walking in that park.  Nobody's driving anywhere.  Car's in the shop, y'know.

Perfecto!

• Love 2

I HATE that commercial where the dude walks up to the cow and says, "the yogurt made with your milk is delicious" . then he turns and runs away. HATE

I find that ad so creepy.  I assume he comes back later to have sex with the cow.  Or at least to try.  He doesn't seem smart enough to figure it out.  Then again he might try to wine and dine her before he makes his big move.

• Love 12

Hmmm...come to think of it, most people in NYC don't have cars from what I understand.  And since it is the 2nd most expensive city for auto insurance*...maybe these LibertyMorons (I love that) should sell their cars and take public transportation.

And since I hate LibertyMorons so much, I found another reason.  The one where the couple yak about their "perfect" driving record I think - the women is taller than the man, which is no big deal by itself.  But her legs are so much longer than his!  His waist is about at the top of her thighs.  All emphasized and made so much more obvious by the fitting clothes they are wearing.

*Detroit is the most expensive city for auto insurance as Michigan is the only state where car insurance includes unlimited personal injury protection and the highest number of uninsured drivers (probably as a result of the unlimited pip).

• Love 2

Agree to the hate of the commercial and the non-specific reason Monae bugs, but since reading this post I have seen the commercial about a billion times.  The stupid first part has the Do You Love Me? song by the Contours that was released in 1962 and had commercial success.  The dancers are all dressed in what I think it considered the mod style which was associated with the mid to late 60s. 

So basically whoever was in charge of costuming screwed up all around.

• Love 2

I've shot pictures of the Statue of Liberty from various points in and around the harbor, and I'm having a hard time figuring out where their images are from.  There are a couple of parks in Brooklyn that might work, but the view of the Statue doesn't really seem right, and given the distance, wouldn't appear nearly that large in the background.

Hmmm...come to think of it, most people in NYC don't have cars from what I understand. 

Many people in Manhattan don't own cars, but most in the "outer boroughs" do.

• Love 3

If I was this realtor:

I would be kicking all these mofos the hell out. It's an open house. If they want a good Wifi signal, let them take their malingering asses to Starbucks. That woman probably works on commission, which means if she doesn't make the sale she doesn't get paid.

• Love 6

I thought the "American Look" business was in response to the gap-toothed cretin who snots about getting "the London Look" on those other mascara ads.

I believe that is Mick Jagger's daughter, Georgia May.

• Love 1
So many musicians selling mascara.  Katy Perry, Carrie Underwood, Pink, Janelle Monay.  I guess if you want to be a musician in this day and age you better have some impressive lashes!

Nah, the small print says that they are wearing lash inserts, so even wimpy-lashed girls can be pop musicians!

• Love 5

So basically whoever was in charge of costuming screwed up all around.

"These kids drinking Pepsi wont know about these old songs; they'll never notice."

I HATE that commercial where the dude walks up to the cow and says, "the yogurt made with your milk is delicious" . then he turns and runs away. HATE

I hate it because it's infantile, something a three year would do.

• Love 2

I'm a little freaked out by all the cow commercials. The yogurt guy/cow commercial, the lactose free pear-shaped (cows aren't built like that) talking cartoon cow, The cow giving the wedding toast. That one makes me really cranky.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 3

I'm a little freaked out by all the cow commercials. The yogurt guy/cow commercial, the lactose free pear-shaped (cows aren't built like that) talking cartoon cow, The cow giving the wedding toast. That one makes me really cranky.

I miss Elsie

• Love 9

Nah, the small print says that they are wearing lash inserts, so even wimpy-lashed girls can be pop musicians!

Thank goodness, now my singing career is back on track!  I just have to learn how to sing first :)

• Love 4

I just wish it mentioned how she got shot. Is one of her two jobs dealing drugs?

I always assume that verse is about one of the men shown studying in the commercial.  I've never thought that all the verses were supposed to be about the same person.  The song makes more sense if it's about multiple people, not one.  Of course, I hold the unpopular opinion of hating neither the commercial nor the woman singing, so what do I know?  lol

Thank goodness, now my singing career is back on track!  I just have to learn how to sing first :)

There's always autotune.  That's how a lot of pop stars do it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

I do like the Chik-Fil-A cows who take over billboards urging drivers to "Eat more chikin." I don't know if they've made it to TV yet, though.

I love the Chick-Fil-A cows too! They're definitely on TV, but they're kinda hard to find unless you watch the Saturday SEC Football Game of the Week on CBS during College Football season, where Chick-Fil-A's a main sponsor of the game; or the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Game, held in Atlanta on the opening weekend of the College Football Season (this year it's on September 3rd), or the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl at the end of the College Football season. The latter 2 also normally have tons of cow commercials since they're title sponsors of those games.

They might also be aired during other random NCAA Football games, but the above are your best shot at seeing the cows commercials. Sometimes, but I don't think very often, they'll also randomly show up during Primetime programming.

• Love 2

I know this is a strange association, but Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" has always annoyed me for the same reason. I can hear about "I" did this or "Gina" or "Eddie" did that, but "YOU" just irritates me. 

Edited by bitchin camaro
  • Love 1

The second-person narrative is a legitimate literary choice.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person

I despise the Levis commercial that starts with a guitar riff and some bluesy number about being glad "when you're dead, you rascal, you" as a hot guy pulls on his Levis after a, presumably, one-night stand. The girl is so disappointed another knight in shining armor is rusted. But fear not, fair maiden, the modern knight is only going for coffee for his lady love.

I hate it primarily because of the song.

• Love 5

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person

I despise the Levis commercial that starts with a guitar riff and some bluesy number about being glad "when you're dead, you rascal, you" as a hot guy pulls on his Levis after a, presumably, one-night stand. The girl is so disappointed another knight in shining armor is rusted. But fear not, fair maiden, the modern knight is only going for coffee for his lady love.

Of course it is.  Just not saying YOU when you are actually referring to yourself.

• Love 5

Who says the individuals are referring to themselves? That's the point of the second-person point of view.

I resent Liberty Mutual's use of the second-person pov in these ads, because they're implying that I'm too stupid to understand how insurance works.  And can't drive.  And would name my car 'Brad' when everyone knows that the lamest car name ever.

• Love 16

There's an All State commercial that I don't think has been mentioned. A woman is watering her garden and acts like it's just about the most tiresome chore because using a garden hose is back-breaking, soul-sucking work, apparently. Anyway the hose gets caught on something and rather than investigate what is causing the snag, she just pulls on the hose and ends up ripping down some of her house's guttering, loosening some of the shingles and breaking a window. Now she's more annoyed than ever and her husband won't say a word because she's probably a yogurt bitch.

• Love 6

There's an All State commercial that I don't think has been mentioned. A woman is watering her garden and acts like it's just about the most tiresome chore because using a garden hose is back-breaking, soul-sucking work, apparently. Anyway the hose gets caught on something and rather than investigate what is causing the snag, she just pulls on the hose and ends up ripping down some of her house's guttering, loosening some of the shingles and breaking a window. Now she's more annoyed than ever and her husband won't say a word because she's probably a yogurt bitch.

Off camera, her husband says "That's my job, dear." Then the camera shifts over to him and it's Mayhem in a polo shirt and Bermuda shorts, standing on the lawn drinking a can of beer.

Or that's what should happen. I miss Mayhem.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 10

That song is 86 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Rascal_You

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 4