Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

The Honda commercial that talks about hiking the "appellation" trail is driving me nuts.  "Appalachian" does not sound like "appellation."

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The Honda commercial that talks about hiking the "appellation" trail is driving me nuts.  "Appalachian" does not sound like "appellation."

My soul sibling. 

There’a someone whose comments I often read online, who complains every time someone mispronounces Newfoundland. “It sounds like Disneyland, not Maryland!”  I start to get annoyed, then I remember, oh yeah, this is your Appalachia

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hmm, it’s been ages since I’ve had regular cleaning, but even back then, $50/cleaning would be a steal for the basic vacuuming/mopping/dusting/bathroom cleaning that most services offered. I would never have expected them to do my laundry or clean the windows as part of that, except maybe pet nose smudges on the storm door. I haven’t seen that ad, though. Are they saying those things are included in their regular cleaning, or just that they’re services that are also available? 

In the commercials I've seen, it's a person who paid $19 for their cleaning listing off all the things that were done, including laundry and washing dishes and a bunch of other stuff. 

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hmm, it’s been ages since I’ve had regular cleaning, but even back then, $50/cleaning would be a steal for the basic vacuuming/mopping/dusting/bathroom cleaning that most services offered. I would never have expected them to do my laundry or clean the windows as part of that, except maybe pet nose smudges on the storm door. I haven’t seen that ad, though. Are they saying those things are included in their regular cleaning, or just that they’re services that are also available? 

First, Homeaglow charges by the hour, not a flat fee. I've had cleaning services for over 30 years. They have all been a flat fee for basic cleaning. Second, for Homeaglow, any cleaning beyond basics is extra. They imply in the commercial that windows, laundry, and dishes are included in the $19 intro offer. They are not - $19 is for basics only.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

yeah I pay (a lot) more than $19 for my kinda large house. They don't do windows, and don't do my laundry (not that I'd want them to). I really don't get the ad. Can't be realistic.

• Like 3
On 7/6/2024 at 4:05 AM, andromeda331 said:

I always thought Flo was the boss but in that one commerical apparently she's not. I like that Mara's surprised. She assumed that too. Another commercial says she's not the boss but she's boss like. So she's that employee acts like a boss when she's not? That explains so much. 

That commercial makes no sense. How do none of them know who their boss is? Who hired them? Who assigns them tasks? Who evaluates them? 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why is cleaning windows typically separate from cleaning services anyway?

Basic cleaning is vacuuming, mopping, dusting, cleaning kitchens and bathrooms. I've never had a cleaning service do windows.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Basic cleaning is vacuuming, mopping, dusting, cleaning kitchens and bathrooms. I've never had a cleaning service do windows.

Yeah, but why? What’s so difficult about it? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
27 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

What’s so difficult about it? 

you haven't seen my house. Unopenable windows 2 and a half stories up.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
42 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Curtains or blinds need to be removed. Depending on the windows, they may tilt in for easier cleaning, but it's still a long process, especially if you want the outer sills cleaned. Sure, if you just want the inside of the windows cleaned, it may be easy, but not if you want both sides done well. Windows over sinks are difficult to get to. Slide and crank windows are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Commercials like this one are extremely misleading.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's time consuming. Time is money. Just curious, how often do you clean your windows?

Unless there is a smoker in the house, in my experience there is no reason to clean the inside of windows on a weekly, biweekly, or even monthly basis. Cleaning the outside of windows is not something that comes with housecleaning. It's probably not something a cleaning service offers. I just checked what the "deep cleaning", not basic, my cleaning service offers, and it does not include windows.

• Like 3
On 7/6/2024 at 2:54 PM, Gramto6 said:

The commercial for Shapermint bras doesn't bother me that much but I think there is some sort of subliminal suggestion going on. For about a week now I have been hearing this random "knock, knock,knock, knock". At first I thought it was a bird pecking at my roof by the porch. It happened often enough that I went out to look to see if I could see where it was pecking. 

Then just yesterday, I heard it again and happened to look up and there was the knocking at the very end of the Shapermint commercial.  I though, just a coincidence, but then I paid attention the next time the commercial came on and there it was again, and again the next time. Got me thinking, I am pretty good at tuning out commercials so hadn't even thought about it being the commercial until I figured out it was coming from the TV. All the extra concentrating on the ad to make sure, had me looking at that commercial way more than I needed/wanted to!!

Did they do this to make us look up? It might make someone think someone was at the door but they get the tail end of the commercial in that glance. I went to birds pecking, as I don't often enough have visitors that would knock.

Now I barely hear the knocking, knowing where it is coming from and pay zero attention to the commercial, in fact it annoys me now that I paid that much attention to it at all!

Maybe its

like the ads that do car horn beeps every time they say "free shipping"?

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

My soul sibling. 

There’a someone whose comments I often read online, who complains every time someone mispronounces Newfoundland. “It sounds like Disneyland, not Maryland!”  I start to get annoyed, then I remember, oh yeah, this is your Appalachia

Or confuse artisan with artesian, or vice-versa.

• Like 1
(edited)

Well, whatever -- but unless the windows are really high up or otherwise outside the norm, I think any cleaning service could easily do a quick swipe of just the insides of the windows in the room that they're cleaning. Whatever, I was curious. I just did mine today -- they're nothing special, so it was no big deal.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2024 at 6:58 PM, Browncoat said:

Eh, there is really not one true pronunciation of Appalachian. It's either Appalatchian or Appalaytion depending on where you grew up. My family in Pennsylvania and the Ohio River Valley area fall into the "lay" category, while in NC you say "latch" or risk getting an apple thrown "atcha". 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

yeah I live 5 miles from the trail (near the Bear Mountain Bridge in NY) and it sounds a lot like "appellation" around here.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's either Appalatchian or Appalaytion depending on where you grew up. My family in Pennsylvania and the Ohio River Valley area fall into the "lay" category, while in NC you say "latch" or risk getting an apple thrown "atcha". 

I'm from the West Coast and say neither of these. I say Appalay-chin. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, janie jones said:

You are using the "lay" pronunciation there. I honestly believe that is the "correct" way to pronounce the region outside of those living in Southern Appalachia. I have spent enough of my life in regions that pronounce the word differently, so I selectively use both. I really only use the "latch" pronunciation when talking about Appalachian State University because those graduates will call you out on it or just shorten the name to App State. 

• Like 3
(edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 5:12 PM, janie jones said:

That commercial makes no sense. How do none of them know who their boss is? Who hired them? Who assigns them tasks? Who evaluates them? 

I currently have one paid job and I'm involved with one volunteer project. I do not currently know who my boss is at either one. My paid job tends to change my responsibilities without telling me, sometimes even announcing them to the public before remembering to inform the staff. I'm not sure which company owns the volunteer project anymore. Human institutions tend to be run very badly. 

Edited by Ghost of TWOP Past
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm mostly okay with that.  It's the "sh" sound that bothers me most.

But I'm pretty sure no one pronounces "Apalachicola" as "appelayshiacola," so why does Appalachia get changed?

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm mostly okay with that.  It's the "sh" sound that bothers me most.

I think it's a bit of vocal laziness turning the ch into a sh. I do it both ways. Kind of like when I had a British-educated Chinese office-mate in grad school who asked "why do Americans pronounce 'bottom' like 'boddum'?"

'cause we're lazy.

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I think it's a bit of vocal laziness turning the ch into a sh. I do it both ways. Kind of like when I had a British-educated Chinese office-mate in grad school who asked "why do Americans pronounce 'bottom' like 'boddum'?"

'cause we're lazy.

Like the Brits have any room to talk. Just look up how to pronounce Cholmondeley.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 12
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

'cause we're lazy.

If you were to ask me (and kind of taking this back on topic), our local public radio station is sponsored by The Feed Store.  Since we're definitely an urban market with few if any horses living within the city limits, this made no sense.  Turns out it's The Feet Store.

• LOL 9
On 7/8/2024 at 1:23 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Well, whatever -- but unless the windows are really high up or otherwise outside the norm, I think any cleaning service could easily do a quick swipe of just the insides of the windows in the room that they're cleaning. Whatever, I was curious. I just did mine today -- they're nothing special, so it was no big deal.

If I do a "quick swipe" of any window that has decent light coming through, all I see afterwards is streaks.  It's the same reason I'm really hesitant to go near mirrors with a dustcloth/rag/whatever.  Once you start, you spend your next lifetime trying to blend.

• Like 10
On 7/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, tres bien said:

I feel angry at Dr Lume because I feel as though she's promoting low self esteem 

The commercial where she goes on about how society (I guess?) makes women think they smell bad then shills her deodorant for women infuriates me.  Bitch, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

• Like 7
  • Applause 9
  • Love 2
On 7/7/2024 at 6:58 PM, Browncoat said:

I grew up pronouncing it that way.  It's a pretty common pronunciation of Appalachian.  And completely wrong, according to those who live in Appalachia.

On 7/7/2024 at 8:12 PM, janie jones said:

Methinks you're overthinking the whole Progressive team structure. 😁

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I know it’s been mentioned before in some form, but Target Circle week (Kristin Wiig) can’t end soon enough! Bring back Maria Bamford! I know they are trying to compete with Amazon week, but the commercials are on ENDLESSLY. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 7/8/2024 at 6:27 AM, Deskisamess said:

Curtains or blinds need to be removed. Depending on the windows, they may tilt in for easier cleaning, but it's still a long process, especially if you want the outer sills cleaned. Sure, if you just want the inside of the windows cleaned, it may be easy, but not if you want both sides done well. Windows over sinks are difficult to get to. Slide and crank windows are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Commercials like this one are extremely misleading.

Cleaning mine would be a waste of time my dogs and now my cat are always glued to them watching who's coming and going. Getting them dirty any time they see a dog, cat or anything else they need to bark or meow at. Last time I did they were dirty by the end of the day. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Not really an "annoying" just an observation. We've discussed the horrible jingle for Jardiance many, many times. So this ad really surprised me (for a similar drug). I live near NYC so am used to getting ads for Broadway musicals, and to my ear, this jingle sounds like a song from a not-terrible Broadway show LOL.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Not really an "annoying" just an observation. We've discussed the horrible jingle for Jardiance many, many times. So this ad really surprised me (for a similar drug). I live near NYC so am used to getting ads for Broadway musicals, and to my ear, this jingle sounds like a song from a not-terrible Broadway show LOL.

The tune is from a movie musical, The Greatest Showman. The original song is called "This Is Me." 

• Useful 7
(edited)
20 hours ago, Ancaster said:

If I do a "quick swipe" of any window that has decent light coming through, all I see afterwards is streaks.  It's the same reason I'm really hesitant to go near mirrors with a dustcloth/rag/whatever.  Once you start, you spend your next lifetime trying to blend.

I guess I have a gift (or maybe just good vinegar), at least for the mirrors. I don’t clean the outsides of the windows every time, so it’s not like they’re going to look like they’re not even there. That said…

Dear Universe: I’d like a better gift, please.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 8
On 7/6/2024 at 1:54 PM, Gramto6 said:

The commercial for Shapermint bras doesn't bother me that much but I think there is some sort of subliminal suggestion going on. For about a week now I have been hearing this random "knock, knock,knock, knock". At first I thought it was a bird pecking at my roof by the porch. It happened often enough that I went out to look to see if I could see where it was pecking. 

Then just yesterday, I heard it again and happened to look up and there was the knocking at the very end of the Shapermint commercial.  I though, just a coincidence, but then I paid attention the next time the commercial came on and there it was again, and again the next time. Got me thinking, I am pretty good at tuning out commercials so hadn't even thought about it being the commercial until I figured out it was coming from the TV. All the extra concentrating on the ad to make sure, had me looking at that commercial way more than I needed/wanted to!!

Did they do this to make us look up? It might make someone think someone was at the door but they get the tail end of the commercial in that glance. I went to birds pecking, as I don't often enough have visitors that would knock.

Now I barely hear the knocking, knowing where it is coming from and pay zero attention to the commercial, in fact it annoys me now that I paid that much attention to it at all!

Quoting myself because what I saw mentioned above, turns out to be the shortened version of the commercial. I finally saw the long version yesterday and there is a woman knocking on a window at the very beginning of the commercial, I guess to get the attention of the woman inside. So that does tie in all the knocking at the end though there is no reason for it at that point.  The knocking at the end makes no sense if you don't see the whole thing.  Regardless the knocking at the end is annoying and disconcerting if you don't know it is from the ad.

• Like 1

Don't ad agencies use focus groups anymore?  To alert them to obvious issues like this one -- that lots of people will be disturbed by the knocking sounds?  Same issue with those horrible ads for the all-body deodorants, wouldn't a focus group point out that most viewers are disgusted?  Maybe they're just trying to save money.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Getting them dirty any time they see a dog, cat or anything else they need to bark or meow at.

My mother used to call that residue on the windows "cat schnoodle."  (The double O pronounced like in good, not food.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

I like Steven Spielberg and I like the Olympics. But I'm getting fired of the commercial with Spielberg hyping the opening ceremonies on the Seine in Paris. Plus, I can imagine some bumpkin sitting at home saying, "What? The theme of the openin' ceremonies is Sin? This world is goin' to pot, I tells ya." 

• Like 1

My biggest hateful commercial right now is for USAA.

"And Luna, when she's....born..."  like is she gonna hatch or something?  It just rubs me the wrong way every single time I hear it, which is often because it's like the only commercial on the channels Mr. Max watches.  🙃

• Like 3
On 7/11/2024 at 6:57 PM, meep.meep said:

The Wendy's Nuggs ad that has started permeating the air waves is dreadful.

Let's not talk that way folks.

Just say nuggets damn it!  It's one extra syllable, people.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

If you watch anything on Amazon Prime you are bombarded with commercials with Megan Thee Stallion about Prime Days. I don't know who she is because I'm old and don't keep up with modern music. But every time she says "Prime Days" it sounds like she's saying "Prom Date."

• LOL 5
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

If you watch anything on Amazon Prime you are bombarded with commercials with Megan Thee Stallion about Prime Days. I don't know who she is because I'm old and don't keep up with modern music. But every time she says "Prime Days" it sounds like she's saying "Prom Date."

You don't have to be watching Amazon Prime to see it often. I see it multiple times a day on all the channels I watch. Which prompts me to think, hmmm, I need to see if they have any good deals I'd be interested in. So, the ad has the intended effect on me.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2024 at 7:42 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I never knew how time consuming and involved good window washing was until a friend was unemployed and took a job with a professional window washer many years ago. There's more to it than it seems. Years later I had him do my windows every now and then. He came with special cleaner, special tools and engaged in some eye-opening tricks like drying the windows with ink-free newspaper to ensure that streak-free shine. And some heavy-duty ladders and platforms, too. 

Is it possible to clean windows without all that fanfare? Perhaps, but not up to the standard of a professional service, and that's why house cleaning services don't want to get involved in it. It involves special skills, knowledge and equipment, and perhaps insurance too for having to get up high on ladders both inside and outside the house. And the average house cleaner doesn't have those skills either.

Alas, my friend is now in his '60s and doesn't do that kind of work anymore so my windows never look as good as they used to, but knowing how much he used to put into it, I don't blame him one bit! And forget hiring a professional service as it's way too expensive for me.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Speaking of Windows, I happened to leave the TV on after the news today and on came an infomercial for "Renewal by Andersen".

I couldn't believe my eyes so I had to take a still picture of this screen:

Anderson.thumb.jpg.db4a87866a938626544e47546451c888.jpg

You can't make this shit up!  I'm seeing this more and more these days. How many idiots have to miss this before it gets on the screen?

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

All 14 windows plus 3 sets of sliding glass doors in my house are multi-paned (12 panes per window, 15 per door), so there is no easy swipe and wipe to cleaning them. Lots of time and work to cleaning them.

• Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I never knew how time consuming and involved good window washing was until a friend was unemployed and took a job with a professional window washer many years ago. There's more to it than it seems. Years later I had him do my windows every now and then. He came with special cleaner, special tools and engaged in some eye-opening tricks like drying the windows with ink-free newspaper to ensure that streak-free shine. And some heavy-duty ladders and platforms, too. 

Is it possible to clean windows without all that fanfare? Perhaps, but not up to the standard of a professional service, and that's why house cleaning services don't want to get involved in it. It involves special skills, knowledge and equipment, and perhaps insurance too for having to get up high on ladders both inside and outside the house. And the average house cleaner doesn't have those skills either.

Alas, my friend is now in his '60s and doesn't do that kind of work anymore so my windows never look as good as they used to, but knowing how much he used to put into it, I don't blame him one bit! And forget hiring a professional service as it's way too expensive for me.

I just think a cleaning service could easily clean the windows as part of the service. Just basic clean, boom, done. As part of the rest of the room. Wipe them. I mean, as long as the customer isn’t led to believe it’s this super-involved situation you’re describing, why wouldn’t wiping insides of a room’s windows be part of it? That’s all I wondered. Didn’t mean to get everyone all fired up over the parameters of window cleaning (which can be whatever the cleaning service deems them to be).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1