Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I guess she's doing the commercial because she lost weight.

That reminds me of a National Enquirer I saw eons ago that said Joan Collins had lost 10 pounds in (an incredibly short amount of time that I don't exactly remember).  I asked the cashier, "What'd she do, wash her face?"

• LOL 15

The Verizon commerical with the dad being dramatic about their bill to his wife and daughter. He's annoying but so is his wife to tells him about Verizon being so much better. If she knew that why did they have the crappy cellphone plan?

• Like 4
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The Verizon commerical with the dad being dramatic about their bill to his wife and daughter. He's annoying but so is his wife to tells him about Verizon being so much better. If she knew that why did they have the crappy cellphone plan?

Is that the one where she's holding a bag of groceries with the eggs VERTICAL in the bag?

Does anyone ever pack a bag like that? (You can see my weird fixations)

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

Is that the one where she's holding a bag of groceries with the eggs VERTICAL in the bag?

I hadn't noticed that the eggs were vertical before. As for who does that, I'd say a prop person or producer who doesn't know how to pack a bag of groceries. 😆

• Like 5

If I were meeting any friend of mine at the movies and she came up to me with her tube of deodorant, whipped the cap off and thrust it in my face? Oh, eff no, I'm not going to take a giant whiff and say, "oh, yeaaaaaaahhhhhh...." I'm going to grab that Secret and stick it in her ear.

That commercial is vomit-inducing AND I don't get it. You're proving your deodorant works by having your friend get a good sniff? Wouldn't you prove it was working if she sniffed your pits and verified that you indeed smelled fresh as a meadow dew? Also, if it works....why do you have to bring it with you? Are you telling me you need to re-apply or were you saving the application until your friend could watch? 

It's enough to make me switch to a rock and baking soda. Almost.

While I'm here...attention, Allstate. Mayhem used to be funny. Mayhem used to be clever. Now you are wasting Dean Winters and Mayhem is boring. And not funny. Stop being lazy and fix this. 

Somehow, I found myself silently cursing Liberty for even suggesting the idea that Doug gets replaced. Sure. The one insurance character I don't mind and apparently have gotten a little attached to (please don't judge....well, OK, you can judge...I do). 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

The Peloton grandma saying/singing "gotta love THAT!" like she just finished 5 bloody Marys at brunch is my current commercial nemesis.

How they manage to make all their products universally loathed via ill-advised commercials, I don't know.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

The Peloton grandma saying/singing "gotta love THAT!" like she just finished 5 bloody Maries at brunch is my current commercial nemesis.

How they manage to make all their products universally loathed via ill-advised commercials, I don't know.

I hate that commercial, mostly because there is no way those people would willingly be exposing themselves to that vulgar garbage "music". 

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 2

That idiotic Jardiance commercial is back in heavy rotation on one of my local channels.  It had disappeared for a while, and I had hopes that it was gone for good, but no such luck.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I'm getting the Jardiance commercials a lot, and something called Ro, that's the Wegovy/Ozempic injectible just for weight loss, and Weight Watchers pushing the same stuff.  It's that time of year I guess.   Then, the next shortage of diabetes drugs will be the tablets, Rybelsus or something like that.   I get irritated when I hear about shortages of these treatments for diabetics, because people are using it for weight loss instead, and don't have diabetes. 

Plus, the same irritating fitness center commercials constantly.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
On 1/4/2024 at 2:56 PM, potatoradio said:

why do you have to bring it with you?

If you're Natalie Teeger, Monk's assistant, you carry deodorant. In "Mr. Monk Takes a Punch" Monk asks Natalie for deodorant to attend to a perspiring prize fighter he's protecting. She whips out what looked like Secret deodorant.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I can't even remember what it's for, and if people hate it as much as me, it's probably been mentioned before, so sorry, but the one where a bunch of smarmy guys in a photo burst out singing "Tell me whyeeee" makes me scream back at them.  It's already making my ears hurt before I have time to grab the remote.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I can't even remember what it's for, and if people hate it as much as me, it's probably been mentioned before, so sorry, but the one where a bunch of smarmy guys in a photo burst out singing "Tell me whyeeee" makes me scream back at them. 

it's something you put in your washing machine so your clothes don't stink. The "boys" are the Backstreet Boys, I think. Not my demographic; I'm too old. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

I can't even remember what it's for, and if people hate it as much as me, it's probably been mentioned before, so sorry, but the one where a bunch of smarmy guys in a photo burst out singing "Tell me whyeeee" makes me scream back at them.  It's already making my ears hurt before I have time to grab the remote.

Aww, I like that ad, but can see how it can be annoying.  The Backstreet Boys are not even close to my demographic, but they are talented. I think it's funny that they pop out of their poster!  The "tell me why" is a lyric from their song I Want It That Way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

Aww, I like that ad, but can see how it can be annoying.  The Backstreet Boys are not even close to my demographic, but they are talented. I think it's funny that they pop out of their poster!  The "tell me why" is a lyric from their song I Want It That Way.

I like it too, even though the Backstreet Boys are not my demographic, either.  I especially like the longer version, with the woman saying the odor went "bye bye bye" and the poster guys cut her off, saying, "Not us!"  That song was NSYNC, and I remember that no one could keep straight which boy band was which.

• Like 7
  • LOL 5
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

and something called Ro, that's the Wegovy injectible for weight loss,

I can't be the only one who snickers over the comment the lady makes about a tiny little prick being so powerful.

Aww, I love the Backstreet Boys.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have never seen eggs packed vertically either, but why can't they be? If the carton is securely closed and the eggs are in there nice and good, why would vertical be any worse than the other way? I don't buy eggs, so bear with my ifs, but what is the right way? At the bottom of a bag all by itself? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have never seen eggs packed vertically either, but why can't they be? If the carton is securely closed and the eggs are in there nice and good, why would vertical be any worse than the other way? I don't buy eggs, but what is the right way? In a bag by themselves? 

Before my county banned plastic shopping bags starting January 1, the checkers usually put eggs in their own bag so they wouldn't have a chance of getting jostled or crushed. I check egg cartons to make sure none of them are cracked (on occasion one is). Now that I'm packing eggs in reusable bags, I put them in the bottom with something on top that won't crush them.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

it's something you put in your washing machine so your clothes don't stink. The "boys" are the Backstreet Boys, I think. Not my demographic; I'm too old. 

If your clothes stink after being in a washing machine, it's the machine, not super perspiration and it's quite obvious because it doesn't smell like unwashed clothing. Sorry, that annoys me as much as "laundry disinfectant".  You don't need it. That's how soap works! 

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have never seen eggs packed vertically either, but why can't they be?

depending on the carton it might not latch very securely. I don't want to be the one to clean the mess up in that case. 

• Like 7

Pardon me if things been mentioned already.

I donate to the ASPCA, but dammit, they have ruined one of my favorite Christmas songs that they blatantly used to show abused fur babies! Why can’t they show the success or thriving ones as a “thanks to the many of you who support…” instead of the abused and severely neglected ones?

I learned quickly to change the channel if I was watching live (a VERY RARE thing) or keep my finger on the fast forward button, look at the ceiling and count to 90 before I let go.

I can’t STAND to see these poor animals in such a state. It HURTS my heart.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 4
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

Me too apparently!

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

depending on the carton it might not latch very securely. I don't want to be the one to clean the mess up in that case. 

Also, the cartons themselves are soft and porous and don't stand up to weight/wetness near them.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Pardon me if things been mentioned already.

I donate to the ASPCA, but dammit, they have ruined one of my favorite Christmas songs that they blatantly used to show abused fur babies! Why can’t they show the success or thriving ones as a “thanks to the many of you who support…” instead of the abused and severely neglected ones?

I learned quickly to change the channel if I was watching live (a VERY RARE thing) or keep my finger on the fast forward button, look at the ceiling and count to 90 before I let go.

I can’t STAND to see these poor animals in such a state. It HURTS my heart.

Same. I have also learned to sign various animal-related petitions without looking at anything too closely -- and have found out that one organization allows you to set your email preferences to not show anything upsetting.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't buy eggs, so bear with my ifs, but what is the right way? At the bottom of a bag all by itself? 

I put them on top of other stuff -- nothing on top of the eggs.  I've never seen them packed vertically like in that ad either.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have never seen eggs packed vertically either, but why can't they be? If the carton is securely closed and the eggs are in there nice and good, why would vertical be any worse than the other way? I don't buy eggs, so bear with my ifs, but what is the right way? At the bottom of a bag all by itself? 

I put them at the bottom of a reusable bag and put potato chips on top of them.  Then they ride on the floor in the backseat of the car.

• Like 6
On 1/4/2024 at 6:02 AM, dleighg said:

You don't put them at the bottom of the bag so that if they break, they won't drip all over your groceries? 😃

• Like 1
(edited)

I don't which detergent it is but the one with the guy who walks into his laundry room and throws a stained shirt on top of a huge pile of dirty laundry. Three guys I think football players stick their heads out if it to tell him to wash his clothes. He balks because there's so much of it. That's your fault dude. Maybe you should have been washing your clothes all this time. It doesn't magically clean it's self. A lot of clothes will probably have to be thrown out depending how long they've been in the pile. Also that's a huge pile does he have an endless supply of clothes or does he just keep buying more? How lazy can you be?

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

hree guys I think football players stick their heads out if it to tell him to wash his clothes.

One of those guys is the Kelce brother that isn’t dating Taylor Swift. 

• Useful 1
On 1/6/2024 at 6:28 AM, Haleth said:

I can't be the only one who snickers over the comment the lady makes about a tiny little prick being so powerful.

Then that ad is immediately followed by an ED ad.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 1/6/2024 at 10:29 AM, chessiegal said:

Before my county banned plastic shopping bags starting January 1, the checkers usually put eggs in their own bag so they wouldn't have a chance of getting jostled or crushed. I check egg cartons to make sure none of them are cracked (on occasion one is). Now that I'm packing eggs in reusable bags, I put them in the bottom with something on top that won't crush them.

I remember the Giant would put a rubber band around the carton to make sure it would stay closed, sigh I guess those days are gone. 

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

"...a free pizza to use for a future pizza emergency" is really strange wording.

You're not using the pizza for an emergency, you're using it in an emergency. And the "to use" part is clunky and unnecessary -- and "use" is an odd verb in terms of pizza. Plus, we know we're talking about pizza; we don't need the word twice in that particular sentence.

As for the emergency, is it a future pizza emergency or just a future food-in-general emergency? To specify pizza makes it seem like pizza must already have been part of your plan -- like the emergency happened to the pizza, as opposed to something else that necessitated a last-minute pizza order.

"We'll give you a free pizza for a future emergency." Or "we'll give you a free pizza credit to use in a future emergency."

• Like 3

The Domino's emergency pizza ad works for me. First, they show the situations that could lead to needing one (I especially chuckle at the flaming casseroles in the oven). Second, I keep a frozen pizza on hand for when, for whatever reason, I need something for dinner. I call it my emergency pizza.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

"...a free pizza to use for a future pizza emergency" is really strange wording.

You're not using the pizza for an emergency, you're using it in an emergency. And the "to use" part is clunky and unnecessary -- and "use" is an odd verb in terms of pizza. Plus, we know we're talking about pizza; we don't need the word twice in that particular sentence.

As for the emergency, is it a future pizza emergency or just a future food-in-general emergency? To specify pizza makes it seem like pizza must already have been part of your plan -- like the emergency happened to the pizza, as opposed to something else that necessitated a last-minute pizza order.

"We'll give you a free pizza for a future emergency." Or "we'll give you a free pizza credit to use in a future emergency."

I think you may be overthinking this commercial because that was a lot to take in. 😁

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
(edited)

You are correct! Overthinking commercials is pretty much why this topic forum exists.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The Domino's emergency pizza ad works for me. First, they show the situations that could lead to needing one (I especially chuckle at the flaming casseroles in the oven). Second, I keep a frozen pizza on hand for when, for whatever reason, I needsomething for dinner. I call it my emergency pizza.

I have no issue with the point of the ad or the idea behind it, though — or any of your examples (or the ad’s) as to why one might want a pizza in a pinch. Regardless, the ad’s wording is bad. That’s what is bugging me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Domino's emergency pizza ad works for me. First, they show the situations that could lead to needing one (I especially chuckle at the flaming casseroles in the oven). Second, I keep a frozen pizza on hand for when, for whatever reason, I need something for dinner. I call it my emergency pizza.

I still want to know how the three flaming casseroles happen. What did he do?

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Saw an ad for that Jack Links beef jerky that takes place in a men's room at a urinal. And culminates in Sasqautch peeing across the men's room with such pressure that it's taking the tile off the wall. The "pee stream" is pixelated. Who green lighted this????!?? 

• Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 1
On 1/5/2024 at 6:54 PM, Gharlane said:

I hate that commercial, mostly because there is no way those people would willingly be exposing themselves to that vulgar garbage "music". 

I actually like the music although I find the commercial and the people in it annoying.  People have different tastes in music.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:19 AM, Gharlane said:

If your clothes stink after being in a washing machine, it's the machine, not super perspiration and it's quite obvious because it doesn't smell like unwashed clothing. Sorry, that annoys me as much as "laundry disinfectant".  You don't need it. That's how soap works! 

Not always.  Sometimes an odor just won't come out of an item.  My washer works just fine but I had a shirt which got cheesesteak juice on it and I could not get the smell out no matter what I did.  It was just that one shirt, so I know it wasn't the washer.  I didn't know about Downey Rinse & Refresh so I don't know if it would've solved the problem; I ended up throwing the shirt out. 

On 1/6/2024 at 11:09 PM, Gharlane said:

You don't put them at the bottom of the bag so that if they break, they won't drip all over your groceries? 😃

They get their own separate bag.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, Haleth said:

One of those guys is the Kelce brother that isn’t dating Taylor Swift. 

Jason.  Took me a while to realize that's who it is.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/7/2024 at 10:52 PM, andromeda331 said:

I still want to know how the three flaming casseroles happen. What did he do?

Yeah, I could see one catching on fire, but all three at the same time?

On 1/8/2024 at 11:37 AM, Stevie Nicks said:

Saw an ad for that Jack Links beef jerky that takes place in a men's room at a urinal. And culminates in Sasqautch peeing across the men's room with such pressure that it's taking the tile off the wall. The "pee stream" is pixelated. Who green lighted this????!?? 

Haven't seen that one and hope I never do.  😲

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Napalm Casserole?  Or he washes his pots and pans in Napalmolive?

Maybe that's what he thought he heard over the phone instead of something else like the lady who thought her friend said rob your bank instead of drop your bank.

Christina whatever-her-name-is-now for Jacuzzi.

Why does she always start the ad with "Hi, it's Christina AGAIN" ?

We are supposed to care that this is a new version of an irritating ad? 

And then there's Barbara for Balance of Nature, who looks like she's about to keel over from lack of energy. She is not a good advocate for how great this (snake oil) will make you feel. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

Christina whatever-her-name-is-now for Jacuzzi.

Why does she always start the ad with "Hi, it's Christina AGAIN" ?

We are supposed to care that this is a new version of an irritating ad? 

And then there's Barbara for Balance of Nature, who looks like she's about to keel over from lack of energy. She is not a good advocate for how great this (snake oil) will make you feel. 

Christina has the most annoying way of uptalking every sentence.  I don't know how they allowed her commercials to air.

I see Kathi Lee Gifford is shilling for Balance of Nature now.  Sheesh, is the company that successful they can have a dozen different commercials running simultaneously?

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I see Kathi Lee Gifford is shilling for Balance of Nature now.

oh THAT's who that is. I knew she looked familiar. Yeah those commercials are incessant. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I see Kathi Lee Gifford is shilling for Balance of Nature now.

She looks a lot like Ramona Singer of Real Housewives of New York. I thought I had heard that Balance of Nature was cited for not being the medicinal thing they tout it to be but at least it can't hurt you.

• Useful 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

I see Kathi Lee Gifford is shilling for Balance of Nature now.  Sheesh, is the company that successful they can have a dozen different commercials running simultaneously?

This is the very commercial I came to complain about.

"Everybody's talking about how hard it is getting older," says the woman sitting in the immaculate parlor of her multimillion dollar home, or reclining by the glistening pool in her multimillion dollar home, or pretending to water the garden of her multimillion dollar home (I'm guessing they had to show her how to use a hose).

I am reminded of another commercial, for which product I can't remember, but one in which some wealthy old coot happily preaches about how easily he can stay in his own home as long as he has someone to come in to cut his hair, shave him, and provide a bevy of other personal services probably including, but not limited to, wiping his ass for him.

The shameless shilling by and for the wealthy is very annoying.

Oh, and Eva Longoria's egotistical commercials for "Dice Dreams" are nauseating, particularly because she thrusts her own children into the public eye to aggrandize herself and fill her coffers for something as cheesy as a phone game.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:28 AM, Haleth said:

It's especially hilarious when it comes on while watching cable news.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 7
20 hours ago, millennium said:

Oh, and Eva Longoria's egotistical commercials for "Dice Dreams" are nauseating, particularly because she thrusts her own children into the public eye to aggrandize herself and fill her coffers for something as cheesy as a phone game.

Are those her actual kids?