Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I HATE these Liberty commercials.  The one with mini Doug and the baby Emu is just so stupid!  I know it's supposed to be funny but why does that kid have a moustache??

Because he's imitating his father. "Stay off the freeways" cracks me up.

• Like 9
On 8/29/2023 at 5:29 PM, Bastet said:

It would depend on the policy, but it's not uncommon for damage caused by your own negligent act* (rather than an act intended to cause damage, like getting mad and taking a sledgehammer to your wall) to be covered.  So, yeah, the basketball hoop scenario is plausible. 

(*But it has to be a single negligent act like that; if the negligence is failure to properly maintain the property, the resulting damage is not covered.)

I once cleverly ran the open back door of my Voyager van into the top of my open garage door.  Both were damaged.  I have Farmer's automotive and home coverage.  The automotive policy paid off, the home didn't.

It was an accident, people!

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I HATE these Liberty commercials.  The one with mini Doug and the baby Emu is just so stupid!  I know it's supposed to be funny but why does that kid have a moustache??

I despise the mini Doug and baby Emu commercial.  Despise it.  The worst part for me is the kid singing at the end. Shut up and get off the lawn!

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't think Flo's anywhere near universally reviled.  Plenty of people like those commercials, including several other posters here.  And if she was as hated as you seem to believe, Progressive would likely have moved on from those commercials long before now.  Advertising campaigns cost megabucks and those which don't reap the financial benefits the company expects tend to be dropped.

To each one's own re the above-mentioned advertising character. However, whether she has millions or just a minyan for  a fanbase, the day that character gets permanently retired will be a day of rejoicing for me and I might even send Mr. Winter a thank-you card!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

There's a difference? [LOL]

Nothing worse than a boorish boar.  Or is that a boarish boor?

I don't care for the Limu commercials either, but the cute li'l cheeps Baby Limu makes are adorable.

• Like 2

Zocdoc commercials are dumb. The people are idiots. I don't know how it's suppose to make you want to use it. One doesn't want drugs and is happy that she found a doctor that agrees. Okay, but does she need drugs? If she has health issues is going to take drugs or still refuse. I don't want to take the pills I take but it's better then health issues getting worse. But it also sounds like she doctor hunted until she found one who will agree with her. The other lady keeps dismissing doctors for being too old, too young, too middle age, etc until she finds one who's picture she likes. What idiots.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
On 9/2/2023 at 2:27 AM, andromeda331 said:

One doesn't want drugs and is happy that she found a doctor that agree

All these supplement ads emphasize that they're not prescription drugs.  We have a number of people who come in where I work who spend literally thousands of dollars a year on supplements and refuse to take any prescription medications.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
On 4/9/2023 at 9:24 AM, Jst2Wld said:

Maybe I'm too fussy about physicality in another persons sexiness but that guy in the Whush commercial (for cleaning out your ear wax) is just weird looking. 

He has sloping shoulders, his head looks like it's growing out of two different shoulder body shapes.

He's been annoying me for a long time but I just had to say something before "he" pushed me over the edge to insanity. I'm  already half way there! I don't need his help

I've never looked at the TV too closely when this commercial comes on, but from the next room, the way he speaks repulses me.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, Glitches said:

I am grossed out by this commercial. I have to change the channel whenever this commercial starts.

Ditto. Horrible, horrible commercial.

• Like 4

That Tide commercial with people making horrible messes makes me feel oddly annoyed at that baby at the end. 

@peacheslatour, we usually agree about lots of random stuff, so I am surprised to reveal that I think it’s funny when the Liberty Mutual kid drives over the flowerbed! I really don’t know why — maybe the fact that he’s not even speeding recklessly, he just slowly and clumsily lumbers over it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I've never looked at the TV too closely when this commercial comes on, but from the next room, the way he speaks repulses me.

Ditto. Horrible, horrible commercial.

I was trying to quote a post about Wush.  Didn't work out. But anyway I  only saw this ad for the first time recently. I thought how can this be good. Getting water in your ears is not a good thing. The ad is slightly less offensive than Navage which is truly gross 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

That Tide commercial with people making horrible messes makes me feel oddly annoyed at that baby at the end. 

They digitally/green-screened him into those messy America's Dumbest Videos/YouTube/TikTok video clips, right?

I keep seeing this one commercial in my focus group surveys that I find annoying as hell that's already been in circulation awhile for lawn hedging equipment in which everything in the neighborhood has been sawed in half by the man trimming his hedge. I guess it's supposed to be humorous but he's destroyed a mailbox, bicycle, and basketball!

• Like 2
On 9/5/2023 at 4:20 PM, TattleTeeny said:

17 hours ago, Gharlane said:

They digitally/green-screened him into those messy America's Dumbest Videos/YouTube/TikTok video clips, right?

There's something about that baby that makes me feel really gross, as in I hate the baby because it's gross and creepy-looking but then I hate myself for hating the baby because who hates a baby?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

There's something about that baby that makes me feel really gross, as in I hate the baby because it's gross and creepy-looking but then I hate myself for hating the baby because who hates a baby?

I hate the ad people who made me hate the pooping babies in that one diaper commercial. Plus, what adult wants that to be on their resume? It's one thing for grown-ass adults to decide to play the diarrhea in a Pepto-Bismol commercial and another for a kid to grow up knowing they portrayed "pooping baby number 6" in a Pampers (I think) commercial.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Strangely, I feel that I understand this so much. And then I change my mind and decide to like the baby because I don’t want the baby’s feelings to be hurt. Then I wish for a Xanax or something because what the hell is the matter with me (it’s the Domino’s “mushrooms!” girl all over again!).

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Strangely, I feel that I understand this so much. And then I change my mind and decide to like the baby because I don’t want the baby’s feelings to be hurt. Then I wish for a Xanax or something because what the hell is the matter with me (it’s the Domino’s “mushrooms!” girl all over again!).

I can't decide whether to respond with a "thanks" (grateful someone gets me) or a "laugh" because I also don't want to hurt the baby's feelings, or a "love" because I feel like I want a Xanax and I've never even had one but watching commercials does that to me.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 9/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, chessiegal said:

These diabetes drugs that make a point of how much weight users lose might as well just market themselves as weight loss drugs. No wonder they are being misprescribed.

As a diabetic myself, I really take offense to that in those commercials. I HAVE to take that drug to save my life. If you want weight loss drugs go take something else!

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

It's taken me a while because I don't like going after kids in commercials but the little girl and her dad's toe nail in the Jublia commercial and the little boy (and his mom) in the newest Golden Corral commercial are annoying 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

It's taken me a while because I don't like going after kids in commercials but the little girl and her dad's toe nail in the Jublia commercial and the little boy (and his mom) in the newest Golden Corral commercial are annoying 

I haven't seen those and I don't think I want to.

The thing that's making me want to throw the remote through my TV these days is the chicken one where the old dude talks about how they didn't have these different flavors in his day and his daughter pipes up with "and he had to walk up hill both ways." No context, no nothing. It makes no sense, is stupid as fuck and it drives me crazy.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
On 8/10/2023 at 3:51 PM, millennium said:

The new Golden Corral commercial with the Latino grandparents and their grandchildren  (I can't find it online).

The grandfather is telling his grandchildren how he didn't have Golden Corral's new menu items (the Garlic Parmesan chicken or whatever) when he was a kid.   And then in what seems like a total non-sequitur, the grandmother says "And he had to walk uphill both ways."  And the grandfather says,  "And it was snowing."

Huh?  Either grandma didn't take her Prevagen, or the part where she should have said, "He had to walk to school every day, and it was uphill both ways"  wound up on the cutting room floor.   If you're not familiar with the old cliche and you come upon this spot cold,  the grandparents must sound loco.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:01 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Haha, I haven't seen that commercial, but among folks I know, "uphill both ways" is definitely shorthand for "shut up, whippersnapper, you don't know how easy you have it" (or "shut up dad, we 'know' how 'hard' you had it").  Someone else will probably chip in "in the snow!"

But obviously that phrase isn't as well known as I (or the ad makers) thought!  For the record, I'm in the Mid-Atlantic/Appalachian/Southern US.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

The thing that's making me want to throw the remote through my TV these days is the chicken one where the old dude talks about how they didn't have these different flavors in his day and his daughter pipes up with "and he had to walk up hill both ways." No context, no nothing. It makes no sense, is stupid as fuck and it drives me crazy.

That one was discussed at length a while ago. Apparently “uphill both ways” is either something you know or something you’ve never heard of. 

• Like 2

I really dislike the Progressive ad where it shows two parents and a little girl in bed together, with the child in the middle. It's not disgusting, but it is extremely inappropriate, to have a child in bed next to a grown man in a commercial. I also don't like the Huggies? one where the guy is dragging the baby all over his body, including sitting on his head. I don't know why these parents permit it. I also really dislike the Navage ads, right up there with Lume and the red bears. Why do the creators of these ads think that gross and disgusting are going to attract buyers to their products?

• Like 2

There’s a Pediasure ad that is driving me bonkers, partly because it’s on so much, but also because it makes no sense. There’s a voiceover of a mom saying something like “There’s nothing better than hearing your kid say…” [cut to some footage of the mom helping her kid ride a bike] “…Mommy, I did it.” In this bike part, it’s the mom’s mouth we see saying those words. Why would she be saying that? Yes, it’s her voiceover but we should be seeing, if not hearing, the kid’s mouth saying it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Right! That uphill thing is supposed to be part of waking to school or to a bus or something, not all by itself out of nowhere!

Regarding the Progressive one (i don’t think I’ve seen it), I don’t really understand why the idea of a little kid sitting with her dad in a bed is inappropriate. Do you mean inappropriate because they’re actors and not actually family? 

• Like 3
On 9/7/2023 at 7:07 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Some Olay commercial just said that the product “goes 10 surface levels deep.” Never mind the clunky wording, but can levels 2 through 10 be called “surface”? 

Exactly what my wife says every time this commercial airs - with fist around the remote shaking it in the air for good measure! 10 surface layers....wow, so science-y and fancy! I'm sure there's a woman somewhere worrying whether her Pond's goes only to layer six while leaving the seventh-tenth layers of h*ll to dry up and sprout cacti on her face because she's too cheap to spend $30 on a tiny jar of the industrial strength stuff. 

I wish they'd make Mayhem funny again. I so hate seeing Dean Winters wasted in unfunny, lame commercials. Though I did look up whether his brother is in the basketball commercial with him and it is! It's like Ryan and Cyril have finally been released from Oz and are now general suburban bros. 

Unless someone tells me that the actual emu is not treated well in the filming of the Liberty Liberty Liiiiiiiiiiberty commercials, I will sit at my table of one, embarrassed at liking these spots. I freaking love Limu and little Limu. Doug's just a bland doofus and not too obnoxious. Little Doug isn't horrid for a kid on teevee. 

Wish I had something specific to point out as to why I want to punch the dancing Jardiance woman. One of those irrational, instant dislikes. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Regarding the Progressive one (i don’t think I’ve seen it), I don’t really understand why the idea of a little kid sitting with her dad in a bed is inappropriate. Do you mean inappropriate because they’re actors and not actually family? 

Yes, that is exactly why.

• Like 1

God, I loathe those Old Spice commercials. That guy was funny a few times in Black-ish and then they made him a main character and now I guess they think he can carry a deodorant franchise. Ugh.

Then I keep seeing one about men's curved penises where they use a curved carrot as a prop. Between that and the pubic hair and vagina commercials I feel like I'm in a health class or something.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
On 9/9/2023 at 7:08 PM, SoMuchTV said:

That one was discussed at length a while ago. Apparently “uphill both ways” is either something you know or something you’ve never heard of. 

Funny that my sister just mentioned "uphill both ways" when we were discussing differences between when we were young and when my niece was young (specifically, my niece forwarded a podcast about having to swimming naked in high school, which I had to do. She couldn't believe that was a thing.  There's no way parents would allow that today.).

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Mind Blown 2
On 9/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

I thought everyone heard of the "walked uphill to school both ways" expression before. 

• Like 8

The commercial doesn't set it up that way though -- it just randomly says something about "uphill both ways" without mentioning any kind of scenario that involves walking or "ways."

ETA: I'm sorry -- they may actually say the word "walking," but it's still really dumb and doesn't make sense they way they do it. They don't talk about where he's supposed to be walking.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

I thought everyone heard of the "walked uphill to school both ways" expression before. 

Two old men are sitting around talking about how things are so different from when they were kids.  Today's kids are soft, wouldn't be able to hack it if they had to grow up back in the day.  One man says "They all want to ride a bus with cushioned  seats on sit on their way to school.  When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, and then walk home again."

The other replies, "Me too.  I had to walk even in bad weather.  I didn't wait at a shelter for someone to come pick me up.

#1  "I had to walk in bad weather, too!  I walked in the wind, the rain, the sleet, and the snow!"

#2  "So did I!  And we got more snow back then, too!"

#1  "Well I had to break trail with snow up past my knees to make it easier for my younger brothers and sisters."

#2  "How many kids in your family?"

#1  "Six."

#2  "Well I had ten and I had to carry the youngest on my back!"

#1  "How far away was the school?"

#2  "Three miles, unless the creek ran high and covered the little foot bridge.  Then we had to walk another three to get to the bigger bridge!"

#1  "Well I had to walk 15 miles.  Both ways."

#2  "Well - "

#1  Interrupts:  "Uphill!"  Sees #2 about to speak again.  "BOTH WAYS!"

#2  <glares at #1>  "Well, we had this old cow.  Gave the best milk, but boy was she mean...  She'd step on your foot if she could..."

#1  "They all do that.  Ours would squirt onto her tail and slap you in the face with it if you gave her the chance."

#2  "So would ours, but she'd also.........

Edited by Zahdii
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

God, I loathe those Old Spice commercials. That guy was funny a few times in Black-ish and then they made him a main character and now I guess they think he can carry a deodorant franchise. Ugh.

I wish they'd go back to the previous Old Spice guy.

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The commercial doesn't set it up that way though -- it just randomly says something about "uphill both ways" without mentioning any kind of scenario that involves walking or "ways."

It makes perfect sense to me because I know what they're referencing.

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I know what it's trying to do as well. But it still makes no sense in the people's conversation

as far as not making sense let me tell you about a little pill with a great big story to tell.... (my pills have NEVER talked to me)

• LOL 14
On 9/9/2023 at 3:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

Isn't that the whole point of the "walk up hill both ways" type of comment?  It's just a random comment that people throw out when someone's whining.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 7
On 9/10/2023 at 9:03 AM, potatoradio said:

Wish I had something specific to point out as to why I want to punch the dancing Jardiance woman. One of those irrational, instant dislikes. 

Yes, I want to punch her too for no reason.  And then I feel bad because I shouldn't want to punch innocuous women and babies but somehow the advertisers make me want to.  Something is very wrong with our world.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, potatoradio said:

And we didn't complain once. We LIKED it. 

TJ: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TJ: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1