Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

But I did learn that Jardiance is "really swell" which is about all you can ask from a prescription medicine.

I keep expecting Mickey Rooney to appear and tell Judy Garland it's time to head to the barn and put on a swell show! 🤣

• Applause 1
  • LOL 14
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I finally saw the company the woman who says she looks like her daughter's sister is hawking, it's Serovital, another take a pill and your life will be wonderful additive.    Do people actually think that's how anything works?  

She doesn't look like she's as young as her daughter, and no amount of fillers, surgery, or pills will change that.   

image.thumb.png.644a55e154390d6c4d60fb61ade38803.png

• Fire 1
  • LOL 18
5 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JL1GidDgSs

I don't have a problem with this commercial, there is nothing annoying about the girl or anything else. 

My question is, am I doing something wrong? Does everyone else just put one swipe on each armpit, like she does here? I put on maybe 5 light passes on each pit. If I am a weirdo, please tell me!

If you're a weirdo, so am I!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Me, too. At least she raises her arm to the side, not like that LumeLooney. God, I hate that woman and her cheesy commercials.  Every time she asks, "Why didn't anybody think of this before?" I answer, "They did. It's called deodorant and has been in use for decades."

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I don't have a problem with this commercial, there is nothing annoying about the girl or anything else. 

My question is, am I doing something wrong? Does everyone else just put one swipe on each armpit, like she does here? I put on maybe 5 light passes on each pit. If I am a weirdo, please tell me!

I knew which commercial you were talking about before I even hit the llink, because I have the same thought every time I see it.  And it's barely even a swipe!  If that actually works, then apparently I'm wasting a lot of deodorant!

• Like 5
On 6/14/2023 at 1:08 AM, proserpina65 said:

As long as they're not advertising something illegal, morally suspect or outright offensive, I'm fine with well-known actors doing commercials.  Guaranteed paychecks are not the norm in the profession and I've got no problem with actors using commercials as a means of putting away some money for the future.  It's not like they're robbing banks.

Except some of these people could live perfectly comfortably if they never worked another day. They should already have enough for the future, as long as they aren't MC Hammering.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, janie jones said:

Except some of these people could live perfectly comfortably if they never worked another day. They should already have enough for the future, as long as they aren't MC Hammering.

Maybe...

I think there are lots of expenses that these celebrities have that we likely don't know about.  Besides, what exactly is "enough" money? 

Personally, I don't begrudge them trying to get as much as possible if that's what they want, however can see why others have a different view.

• Like 11
21 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Probably, people tend to overuse most of these "cleansing" products, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. The companies like that you do, so probably they should show multiple swipes.

• Like 3
On 6/17/2023 at 3:53 AM, Gharlane said:

Twizzlers has a new commercial in their "deep thoughts" campaign that I find annoying which features a woman in a pool, looking at her reflection in the water and pondering how her 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner works. It annoys me because 1) it's profoundly stupid, 2) it's from a lame 1980's so-called  comedian, and 3) she looks like a total narcist staring at her reflection.

Yeah! At least have her wonder about something that would be funny or involves some kind of clever wording that would make us think "that is weird" or something. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah! At least have her wonder about something that would be funny or involves some kind of clever wording that would make us think "that is weird" or something. 

I am counting myself lucky no one has made one about "jumbo shrimp" yet. 🙄

• Like 3
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've complained about this before, but I am so tired of Jonathan Lawson and his Colonial Penn $9.95 plan scam. Partly because I see it at least ten times a day, if not more.

I posted earlier that the the amount of money you'd get from the $9.95 plan is minimal.  You be better putting $9.95 each month in an interest-bearing savings plan.  After the two years needed to be fully invested you would have paid in almost half your benefit (at age 75). This is why in these ads they never say what the benefit is, just how much you pay in, which would seem to be important for making a decision.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I posted earlier that the the amount of money you'd get from the $9.95 plan is minimal.  You be better putting $9.95 each month in an interest-bearing savings plan.  After the two years needed to be fully invested you would have paid in almost half your benefit (at age 75). This is why in these ads they never say what the benefit is, just how much you pay in, which would seem to be important for making a decision.

Yes, plans that start at $9.95 might only pay about $3000 at the time of the death. Believe me, even a simple funeral is waaaay more. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Yes, plans that start at $9.95 might only pay about $3000 at the time of the death. Believe me, even a simple funeral is waaaay more. 

Assuming you live for 2 years after you take out the policy. Otherwise, you might as well have burned a $10 bill every month.

• Like 5
On 5/26/2023 at 11:08 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Has anyone here seen an ad in which a guy pulls the fire alarm in an apartment building?  No idea what it's for + the TV is on mute for ads. But a woman who's in a tub shows exasperation and starts getting out of the tub. Then we see people going down several flights of stairs. What are advertising folks thinking to show something as irresponsible as pulling a fire alarm when there's no fire?

I literally came to this thread JUST to bitch about this commercial. It's for XFinity and the guy kicks everyone in the building off of WiFi because apparently Verizon sucks. (It doesn't. XFinity - aka Comcast - sucks.) 

And then he greets the firefighter who busts into his apartment by name. 

It gets played CONSTANTLY during the maybe 90 minutes a day when I'm watching live tv and sends me into a bit of a rage spiral. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

The benefit depends on the age you start. A 70 year old male would only get $717 if he died after 2 years. A 75 year old male would get $560. A 50 year old male, the earliest you can start, would still only get $1786. So if a man bought the policy starting at age 50 and died at age 75 he would have paid $3000 to receive $1786 in benefit.

They also don't tell you that they try to sell customers units of $9.95.  So they might sell you 10 $9.99 units.  They really aren't trying to sell one unit.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3

Grab a weapon to shoot out my TV.  I absolutely HATE the commercial where the people are fighting about ribs or chicken tenders.  First of all, it makes no sense, and second, when she wags that f’n chicken tender towards his face, I want to punch her lights out. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
32 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I absolutely HATE the commercial where the people are fighting about ribs or chicken tenders.

does ANYBODY do that? What a stupid thing to fake argue about. WHO CARES? And yes, I see this ad way too many times per day.

• Like 4

I despise commercials with bad manners - like the above mentioned biting into chicken like she hasn't seen food in two weeks.

When I worked for a dental office, we had a patient that never brushed the back side of his teeth - because he'd never seen it done like that in commercials. This boy's Mama was such a bad parent (and his Daddy) that the kid was never taught how to brush his teeth; he had to watch commercials to get the procedure - and of course, he got it wrong.  Dr. J. immediately gave him a lesson on how to brush his teeth. She said they'd cover flossing at his next visit.

THAT boy probably thinks that's how you're supposed to eat chicken, too. Imagine getting your life lessons from ads - like the Lume Looney, waving your bare foot at people.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 6/18/2023 at 10:59 PM, janie jones said:

I don't know their finances so I refuse to judge. 

• Like 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

when she wags that f’n chicken tender towards his face, I want to punch her lights out. 

Yup. And it’s on so much!

There’s an ice cream bar commercial in which the dopey voiceover is amazed that her favorite 3 ice creams are really just 1 — like, oh my goodness, we’ve never heard of ice cream with more than one ingredient in it, how innovative! Also, in the first instance of the word “caramel,” she pronounces it “carmul.” In the second, she says it the normal way. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

The Lindt dark chocolate commercial irritates me. The woman comments something along the lines of that dark chocolate is likely to be bitter. After she tries the dark chocolate, she says “see, I told you it wasn’t bitter” (which isn’t at all what she said.) I am disappointed that this commercial is gaslighting an audience that is constantly lied to by all means of media. I expect better from my preferred brand of dark chocolate. It is likely I will choose a different brand of dark chocolate in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I know the Freshpet commercials have been discussed, and the new girlfriend and the mother-in-law are both very rude with how indignant and snotty they are about "DOG FOOD in the fridge!"  But it is also annoying me that the people they're arguing with (and Freshpet) have to insist that Freshpet is not dog food, and act like it's some crime to call it that.  I understand that it is promoted as a fresher and healthier type of dog food, but it is still dog food and I just don't get what is supposed to be wrong with that.  When they keep saying, "No, it's FOOD food" it makes me think they are going to eat it themselves and leave the poor dog with nothing!   (Not really, but it bugs me.)

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

There's a special place in Hell for Jonathan Lawson.  There will be a bullhorn blaring $9.95!!! for eternity.

don't forget, alex trebek shilled for the same company for years

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The Lindt dark chocolate commercial irritates me.

Gah, I hate that thing. That woman is such an irritating, smug, know-it-all. I'm not sure what the message is, that their product appeals to irritating, smug, know-it-alls? Is that supposed to make me want to buy it? 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

He's hungry, she's hungry, etc...I hear it as "HONGRY", it makes me crazy. I can't even tell you what the product is.

The diaper commercial with the squishy butt, bouncy butt, please make it stop.

And they pronounce it "bot". Drives me nuts.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I know the Freshpet commercials have been discussed, and the new girlfriend and the mother-in-law are both very rude with how indignant and snotty they are about "DOG FOOD in the fridge!"  But it is also annoying me that the people they're arguing with (and Freshpet) have to insist that Freshpet is not dog food, and act like it's some crime to call it that. 

I didn't realize there was another one, so I looked up the one with the mother-in-law.  I agree it's stupid to say "It's not dog food, it's Freshpet" and "It's not dog food, it's food food", but the MIL is even worse than the date in the first commercial was (are they ever going to run a commercial where the snotty jerk isn't a woman?), so I cracked up at the end when the owner tells the dog "You're so lucky you're single".

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't realize there was another one, so I looked up the one with the mother-in-law.  I agree it's stupid to say "It's not dog food, it's Freshpet" and "It's not dog food, it's food food", but the MIL is even worse than the date in the first commercial was (are they ever going to run a commercial where the snotty jerk isn't a woman?), so I cracked up at the end when the owner tells the dog "You're so lucky you're single".

Why couldn't it be the FIL or BIL for a change? At least in that one the dog owner is a woman.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I know the Freshpet commercials have been discussed, and the new girlfriend and the mother-in-law are both very rude with how indignant and snotty they are about "DOG FOOD in the fridge!"  But it is also annoying me that the people they're arguing with (and Freshpet) have to insist that Freshpet is not dog food, and act like it's some crime to call it that.  I understand that it is promoted as a fresher and healthier type of dog food, but it is still dog food and I just don't get what is supposed to be wrong with that.  When they keep saying, "No, it's FOOD food" it makes me think they are going to eat it themselves and leave the poor dog with nothing!   (Not really, but it bugs me.)

My mom will cook chicken and rice for the dog, eat some herself, and still call it "dog food." The Freshpet people need to get over themselves.

• Like 9
(edited)

I don't care how many average people are in the Balance of Nature commercials touting it's life changing benefits I still think it's snake oil. 

Interesting that they don't tell you that you have to take a half dozen of them a day. And they cost $89 for a bottle of 28

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
18 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I don't care how many average people are in the Balance of Nature commercials touting it's life changing benefits I still think it's snake oil.

Clearly half of the money it costs goes to the continuous ads on TV.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Okay, there’s another pet food commercial that is irrational and therefore exasperating.  It’s the one about “pets are raw”. It goes on to list examples “raw emotion, raw play” and other complete nonsequiturs about pets.  The point is to emphasize that “raw food” matches “raw pets” or something equally bizarre.  I often love pets better than people so this whole concept is weird, irrational and only successful in ensuring that I will never feed my critters such stuff!

• Like 5
On 6/23/2023 at 11:20 AM, OldStandard said:

Okay, there’s another pet food commercial that is irrational and therefore exasperating.  It’s the one about “pets are raw”. It goes on to list examples “raw emotion, raw play” and other complete nonsequiturs about pets.  The point is to emphasize that “raw food” matches “raw pets” or something equally bizarre.  I often love pets better than people so this whole concept is weird, irrational and only successful in ensuring that I will never feed my critters such stuff!

Never mind that one needs to be really careful what/how one feeds raw meat to one's pets.

• Like 4

Mounjaro apparently is not for "adults with diabetes and children under the age of 18."  Just change the word order and I'll stop feeling bad for adults who have both diabetes and young children.

• LOL 18