Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

And I never liked when she was on the Today show, she used to make fun of her husband Frank Gifford's age.  I used to yell at my tv screen, "Honey, you're no spring chicken!"

I used to watch The Regis and Kathy Lee show after I walked my kid to the bus stop in the mornings. I just remember her crying and blubbering because her brand of whatever the hell  it was had been caught using child labor and the day they had on Marla Maples and Donald Trump after they had been caught in a tryst by Ivana.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2022 at 1:58 PM, cinsays said:

I am hating the Olivia Wilde Chebula commercials.... she's obsessed...... ugh

When she claims that the serum 'saved her skin' - I'm thinking of all the times I've seen her onscreen her skin is always porcelain doll perfect.  Unless it's something that happened recently - and I need some before and after proof - she can keep her snake oil

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/26/2022 at 4:15 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

The commercial for that home improvement app, Pin it? I want to know why that woman's paper cut on her thumb is speaking to her, ick.

I'm thinking the commercial is a fail since the name of the app they're advertising is Thumbtack. The talking finger is her thumb. Get it, talking thumb for Thumbtack? 😉

• Wink 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm thinking the commercial is a fail since the name of the app they're advertising is Thumbtack. The talking finger is her thumb. Get it, talking thumb for Thumbtack? 😉

Oh I got it, I understood it but maybe they could have done a smiley face on the thumb print area instead of the strange slit which looks like a paper cut to me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Oh I got it, I understood it but maybe they could have done a smiley face on the thumb print area instead of the strange slit which looks like a paper cut to me.

But you didn't remember the name of the app. That's why I said it was a fail.

• Love 1

I know this has been done, but I finally figured out why the Lume deodoarnt commercials are so repulsive to me. 

They focus on the "odor" and make me imagine it. Other deodorant commercials talk about freshness and show active people and they make me imagine how clean and fresh-smelling they are!

Lume makes me think of some stinker putting liquid deodorant on his butt cheeks, or they are going to be kickin' later in the day. Not pleasant!

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 9/20/2022 at 7:11 AM, nittany cougar said:

Yes, he's in a commercial with the "Lilly" character.   

She is telling Lebron about the new IPhone, and they are passing a brochure back and forth. The commercial is stylistically very different from all of the other commercials that show Lilly behind the counter at the AT&T store.  Lilly is wearing a blue blazer instead of her usual blue button down shirt, and she has short hair and more glamorous makeup. 

I've never really liked the Lilly AT&T commercials, and this seems like it is more the actress with Lebron than the character.  The commercials stopped being funny a long time ago.  Lilly can go away anytime as far as I'm concerned.  

I finally saw this AT&T commercial with sound. It didn't improve the commercial. I guess they're trying to convince us that James Lebrom is some kind of tough guy who's fighting for us. OK, James Lebrom.  🙄

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm thinking the commercial is a fail since the name of the app they're advertising is Thumbtack.

I do like the name, but yeah - talking fingers are creepy.  Speaking of which - I went to a small business expo several years ago where there was a social media management company called The Talking Finger.  I was ewwwww'd for some reason

I'll take Thumbtack over Angi.  Why they dropped the 'List' is beyond me.  That word let me know it's a list.  Now I hear, "we called Angi and got someone to fix the leaky pipe"  and think the plumber's name was Angi.   Reminds me of eBates changing the name to Rakutun.  eBates was easy to remember and was catchy because, you know - 'rebates'.  

And because we can't go a week without mention of a Lume commercial, I suggest a drinking game - take a shot everytime she mentions the word 'odor'  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I've generally liked (or at least tolerated) the Upwork ads that feature attractive, young, apparently useful freelance "employees" all over the world. Today I saw a completely different one with someone who looked like a cast member from the Walking Dead with his body parts dropping off. Honestly I have no idea what the message was, but I was completely grossed out. 

I keep seeing this ad for Amazon about how you can get hired as a serf and get free training as a robot engineer or whatever. This guy says he joined in 2016 and since then has had his salary increase "3 to 4 times." Now I'm assuming he's not making 4x as much as he was at a start (but maybe he is- I get it, a good software engineer makes a ton of money-- but that can't be typical). If it's rather that he's gotten 3 or 4 raises, well who knows what that means. I wish the ad was more clear on this.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I finally saw this AT&T commercial with sound. It didn't improve the commercial. I guess they're trying to convince us that James Lebrom is some kind of tough guy who's fighting for us. OK, James Lebrom.  🙄

ug, this advert makes me face-punchy!! 💪👧🤕 can't get to the remote quick enough when it comes on! at&t owes an explanation of my high blood pressure to my doc.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I can't stand the Google commercial with the woman singing screaming "I want security!"

I hate that one as well. It's Etta James (whose name I only know as a common answer for the NY Times Crossword, which I do religiously every day.)

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I hate that one as well. It's Etta James (whose name I only know as a common answer for the NY Times Crossword, which I do religiously every day.)

Wow, I didn't know it was Etta James.  I'm familiar with some of her songs, and I loved "At Last," but I'd never heard of the security one. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, dleighg said:

OMG, The Seattle Times prints the NYT crossword every day and I have been doing them since all the way back when they were printed in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. I thought I was the only one who still did them.

• Love 1

My local station is running an ad for windows that lists the URL of Hardest Working Windows <dot> com, with a guy and a woman blathering about windows.  But they never name the brand of the windows.  It's Renewal By Andersen, though I don't know why they don't tell us that.  And then the guy says, "And you're local, right?" And the woman says, "That's right. We live here, we work here."  No, they're not.  Andersen is a national company.  And if they were really local, she would have said, "We live here in <city>, we work here in <city>."

• Fire 2
17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I can't stand the Google commercial with the woman singing screaming "I want security!"

Ugh, I seem to hear that one and the "every breath you take" commercial every.single.break.  Etta James and Sting are the best, but come on!  Not every 10 minutes!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, dleighg said:

If that commercial is making you hate that song then it's the devil's spawn.  Mute the commercial and play the real thing.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm pretty sure it's exactly that version. I used spotify to find it, and it sounds just like that. YMMV.

Agree, that's totally from the recording, and that didn't come out the way I meant it.  What I was getting at is play the entire real thing.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, RedElf said:

My local station is running an ad for windows that lists the URL of Hardest Working Windows <dot> com, with a guy and a woman blathering about windows.  But they never name the brand of the windows.  

That would be Microsoft. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3

The ridiculous ad for Rinvoq.  The girl has a tiny patch of eczema inside her elbow.  A slight rash.  The side effects are infection, possibility of TB, cancer, heart attack, stroke, and many more.  I'd rather have the eczema.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

The ridiculous ad for Rinvoq.  The girl has a tiny patch of eczema inside her elbow.  A slight rash.  The side effects are infection, possibility of TB, cancer, heart attack, stroke, and many more.  I'd rather have the eczema.

"...and a rare but fatal brain infection." 🥺

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"...and a rare but fatal brain infection." 🥺

The more I listen to the "fine print" they post on these ads for new meds, the farther I want to get away from them!!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

The more I listen to the "fine print" they post on these ads for new meds, the farther I want to get away from them!!

I'm still convinced that big law firms fund the pharma industry to generate more business for themselves.

And what about Camp Lejeune marines who used talc after spraying paraquat? Huh?

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, Gramto6 said:

The hubs and I were discussing this earlier tonight.  "Yeah, your diabetes is under control, but now your  d*ck fell off..."  (There's a diabetes drug that has "genital gangrene" as a possible side effect. )

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

The hubs and I were discussing this earlier tonight.  "Yeah, your diabetes is under control, but now your  d*ck fell off..."  (There's a diabetes drug that has "genital gangrene" as a possible side effect. )

Yeah the side effects sound worse than the actual medical problems...

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah the side effects sound worse than the actual medical problems...

Like @chessiegal, I also have some knowledge about what the FDA requires. The side effects are often the result of the actual medical problem being unresolved. 

Side effects definitely happen with meds, if they didn't you'd have to question if the medicine actually does anything. But the ad fair balance also includes things that are pretty rare which makes it hard to know what's truly common.

If gangrene of the penis was happening frequently, I would dearly hope the drug would be pulled.  That being said, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate your snark, since these do sound crazy 😁

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Who'd have thunk that the SNL 'Happy Fun Ball' spoof would become reality for these overhyped med ads?

Is that the same as the SNL spoof for "Pupy Uppers" and "Doggie  Downers?"

• LOL 3

As far as the side effects in the meds commercials, they have to happen in less than a certain percentage of clinical trial participants for a drug to be approved. So even though it sounds like a medication may cause more problems than it fixes, it’s likely not as dire as the commercials make it seem when you’re hearing a list of one horror after another.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2
On 10/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, Colleenna said:

Is that the same as the SNL spoof for "Pupy Uppers" and "Doggie  Downers?"

No. The 'Happy Fun Ball' (1991)has fifteen seconds of alleged kids extolling how fun and happy that ball is with a peppy kazoo theme in the background- followed by a minute of scary disclaimers (including how it sticks to some skin types and is being used as a bomb) STILL with that peppy kazoo theme!

IMO, that's very much like the RL contemporary meds ads!

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1

There's an online ad that may be also airing on TV, for a snack food called Hipz Stuff'd. A woman is sitting in a boring business meeting, and there's a dish of the product on the table. She takes a piece from the bowl, and then suddenly the meeting turns into a party, with the women on either side of them typing on their laptops like they're DJs at a rave. She puts it back and the scene returns to normal, so she picks it back up and things go back to party time. I'm not even sure if this goes here or in the head scratcher thread, because I have so many questions.

Why is there an open bowl of snacks in the meeting? Isn't that unsanitary, with everybody poking their fingers into it? It especially bothers me that she puts her hand back into the bowl, because what if she got a different piece the second time by accident? If this is some daydream, why wouldn't she imagine herself outside at a beach location instead of a crowded party? Are we back to having meetings in person now, because none of the people in the room are masked that I can tell. I have too many thoughts.

• Fire 1