Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

I don't know anything about Gwyneth's candles.  What is the deal there?

I know!  I think I would be open with my kid (I do not have any yet) about his/her own body at a fairly young age, since some girls can get their periods at 8 or 9 years old, but if my 2 or 3 year old asked me what a pubic hair is, because of this stupid unnecessary commercial, I would be a little taken aback.  Especially because then it could prompt "Why do some people shave them?"  "Well, honey, some prefer a landing strip, some like to be bare..."  No, Venus! That is quite enough of that!

I'd just shrug and say "I don't know, honey. It's a dumb commercial. What do you want for lunch?"

• Like 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Miss Bones said:

Gwyneth is selling a candle on her snake oil website that allegedly smells like her vagina. I think she recently added one that smells like her orgasm.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Gwyneth is selling a candle on her snake oil website that allegedly smells like her vagina. I think she recently added one that smells like her orgasm.

🤮  Agghh!!!!   That ain't right.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

EW. Just...ew.

Edited by Colleenna
Autocorrupt struck again!
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
8 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Seriously?? I just can't.  🤢🤢🤮🤮

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Speaking of whom, I think I saw her in a Uber delivery commercial eating paper towels and contemplating eating one of her gross candles. 🤮

She nibbles on the candle and decides it's "tasty."

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 2
On 8/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Also, this commercial (along with various others) makes the claim that the product has a million uses…but it’s the same use on different things (eg, spraying a throw pillow and spraying a shoe).

Maybe Dr. Shannon Klingman wrote the ad script. If Lume can be used anywhere on your body, why can’t  Febreeze can be used anywhere in your house,😬

Edited by ctlady
  • LOL 4
On 8/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, just saw a Febreze commercial with yet another annoying vocal thing: using a short A sound where a short E should be — “frashness,” “make the bad,” “avvery day,” “small” (for “smell,” rhymes with “pal”), plus “cover op” (for “up”).

On a similar note: there's a commercial for Chick-fil-A's new salads in which one of the voice actresses pronounces salad as "solid".  It drives me bonkers.  The company makes a crap ton of money, why wouldn't they shell out for commercials where their products are pronounced correctly?

22 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Her company sells candles which are named "This Smells Like My Vagina".  Because, why not, I guess?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Seriously?? I just can't.  🤢🤢🤮🤮

Honestly, of all the dubious things she's shilled over the last few years, that's probably one of the ones which is least offensive to me.  She has sold all kinds of quack stuff: vagina steaming, anyone?

• LOL 2

If the damn thing has a tendency to explode like that one woman alleged in her lawsuit, it's more dangerous than the other Goop quackery.

Maybe Paltrow should get the VFX artists that worked on Sauron in the Lord of the Rings movies to do her ads for it...Eye-of-Sauron.jpeg

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, cynicat said:

Since we're on the subject of genitalia, the Uqora commercial for UTIs annoys me.  She says "I had eight UTIs in a year" and then her partner Spencer looks at her with a big smile.  

Wash your fucking dick, Spencer.

https://www.tvcommercialad.com/watch/rxoNaf3edk3ogRT 

I'm sure there are lots of reasons you might get lots of UTIs, but all I can think when I see that ad is that the lady should learn to pee after sex.

• Like 3
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

On a similar note: there's a commercial for Chick-fil-A's new salads in which one of the voice actresses pronounces salad as "solid

This reminds me of how Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) says the word 'sauce" (phonetically:  'sawse')  She pronounces it as 'saaahse'.  It makes me punchy

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

She has sold all kinds of quack stuff: vagina steaming, anyone?

I first heard about that on Mom - Jill Kendall had one

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ctlady said:

This reminds me of how Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) says the word 'sauce" (phonetically:  'sawse')  She pronounces it as 'saaahse'.  It makes me punchy

Or that Jewish woman (Yael somename) who wants Christians to help elderly Holocaust survivors in Ukraine, because the live "on two DAAAHlers a day."

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Or that Jewish woman (Yael somename) who wants Christians to help elderly Holocaust survivors in Ukraine, because the live "on two DAAAHlers a day."

And she lives on millions of DAAAHlers.  (I posted about this before)

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

And she lives on millions of DAAAHlers.  (I posted about this before)

Is this sort of like when Sally Struthers was begging for help for starving children while being a bit of a rotund person? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Is this sort of like when Sally Struthers was begging for help for starving children while being a bit of a rotund person? 

Hmmm.  I'm okay with calling out a celebrity  for begging for starving children (or whatever cause) when said celebrity could stroke a check and do more good than the ad would generate.  I'm not sure I'm cool with calling her out because she's a "bit of a rotund person".  I'm afraid it would come across as "if you just didn't eat so much, children wouldn't be starving".  YMMV though; sometimes some ads just hit some people the wrong way.

• Like 4
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hmmm.  I'm okay with calling out a celebrity  for begging for starving children (or whatever cause) when said celebrity could stroke a check and do more good than the ad would generate.  I'm not sure I'm cool with calling her out because she's a "bit of a rotund person".  I'm afraid it would come across as "if you just didn't eat so much, children wouldn't be starving".  YMMV though; sometimes some ads just hit some people the wrong way.

It was just the juxtaposition, visually. I really think she was doing a wonderful thing and I love her on Gilmore Girls.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just when I started seeing less of the mortgage commercial with Melissa McCarthy breaking stuff alongside the Property Brothers, they’ve got a new-ish one.  I get that she’s supposed to be tech-non-savvy but the shtick of applying for a mortgage or checking her email on an adding machine is just 🙄. Her barking “you’re a calculator” at one of them is the cherry on top. Not offensive or anything…just trying too hard to be “funny.”

• Love 4

Can we add ‘horrifying’ to the title of this thread?  Just saw the anti-vaping commercial with the girl who contorts in class because she’s ‘possessed by vaping’. Utterly disturbing. Reminds me of a cross between Natalie Portman hallucinating her legs breaking and morphing into a swan’s legs in Black Swan and the spider walk dow the stairs scene in The Exorcist

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1
On 8/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yeal's compensation from the "charity" in 2019 was over $3.5 million.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/6/2022 at 2:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

I always remember her being mocked on South Park.

I always wondered what happened if the child from those commercials you adopted died? 🤔

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I always remember her being mocked on South Park.

I always wondered what happened if the child from those commercials you adopted died? 🤔

The South Park episode is what I was thinking of. "No Starvin' Marvin, that's my pie."

• LOL 4

What is that horrible commercial with the guy biking, stops for a drink/rest then this car shows up and the woman screams in the most irritating way, "Do you want some more," once again a commercial I cannot mute fast enough.  Is she a stranger, a stalker, why is she following him, does he know her...how does she scream something so annoyingly, out of the blue, it makes no sense.

I really hate it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

What is that horrible commercial with the guy biking, stops for a drink/rest then this car shows up and the woman screams in the most irritating way, "Do you want some more," once again a commercial I cannot mute fast enough.  Is she a stranger, a stalker, why is she following him, does he know her...how does she scream something so annoyingly, out of the blue, it makes no sense.

I really hate it.

I hate it too. Apparently, we're watching the short version of the commercial which begins with the bicyclist at home on his Peloton with the virtual trainer yelling "DO YOU WANT MORRRRE?!?!?!" at him. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

The Lume woman is back on TV today explaining that just a drop of Lume between the butt cheeks will leave your nether-regions smelling like you showered recently.

how about just take a shower?

i saw the same or similar spot later and it had graphs labeled "stink level"

somebody make it stop.

ALSO:

the ancestry.com commercial where the guy says "I just found my dad's childhood address!  he's been worrying about it for the past 7 years."

dad needs bigger problems.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, millennium said:

The Lume woman is back on TV today explaining that just a drop of Lume between the butt cheeks will leave your nether-regions smelling like you showered recently.

somebody make it stop.

Must be for people like Whitney Way Thore (shoutout to my peeps in the MBFFL forum here on Primetimer😄)

• LOL 5

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a new Venus razor commercial, that is encouraging women not to shave, if they do not want to.  That is fine, but I could have done without the a super annoying jingle and the ANIMATED DANCING PUBIC HAIRS!  Yes, you heard read that correctly.

I came here to comment on that very ad. There are no words, I am gobsmacked.

Does the mom who bought a car from Carvana and can't stop telling literally everyone all about it drive anybody else crazy?

It drives me crazy the way she pronounces "car." It's a regional accent thing and there's no way to spell it phonetically to match how she's saying it but it's like "I gaht a great KARRR."

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

In the one I saw, she said that X hours after a shower plus Lume, there was less butt stink than X hours after a shower only.  Nothing about it being a replacement for showering; it was as a supplement.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

In the one I saw, she said that X hours after a shower plus Lume, there was less butt stink than X hours after a shower only

Whenever I see that 'stink level' graph I have to wonder about the study design.  Is there really a statistical difference between Lume and the shower alone?  What defines stinky and not stinky?  And most important of all, who is sniffing other peoples' butts?

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, millennium said:

somebody make it stop.

Methinks that Dr. Klingman, as an obgyn, has had her share of not-so-aromatic nether regions while performing routine checkups and that pushed her to make Lume.  Plus her line about doctors prescribing unnecessary antibiotics to women who are experiencing constant stink in said nether regions is not exactly true.  Look, there's "I've been working in the yard all day in 90 degree weather and can practically wring out the crotch of my pants like a sponge" stink that comes from natural activity such as that - no matter how well you shower, spray and powder the areas in question.  And then there's a constant, persistent foul smell that indicates an infection where Lume is only a band aid, but won't treat the cause. 

And, especially since 2020 and people comfort eating during lockdown, I can't believe the number of ladies I've seen wearing leggings/yoga pants - even in the dead of a 90 degree heat wave. They're becoming the norm over jeans or cotton cargo type pants so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a rise in yeast infections, bladder infections or even the perpetual stink.

Okay, I've got to stop because I'm grossing myself out

I don't know if this has to be said for liability purposes, but all these ads for medication where the announcer reads all the disclaimers such as, "don't take _______ if you've have clots or don't take _______ if you've been to areas where fungal infections occur" - I don't get the "don't take Jardiance if you're allergic to Jardiance.  Don't take Cosentix if you're allergic to Cosentix"  Does that really need to be said?  I mean, if you're allergic to peanuts, do you need to be told not to eat peanuts?

• Applause 2
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I don't know if this has to be said for liability purposes, but all these ads for medication where the announcer reads all the disclaimers such as, "don't take _______ if you've have clots or don't take _______ if you've been to areas where fungal infections occur" - I don't get the "don't take Jardiance if you're allergic to Jardiance.  Don't take Cosentix if you're allergic to Cosentix"  Does that really need to be said?  I mean, if you're allergic to peanuts, do you need to be told not to eat peanuts?

I always say this!  And how would I know if I was allergic to Jardiance if it is my first time taking it?  I also like "Tell your doctor if you have (insert disease or ailment here)"  Shouldn't my doctor be the one diagnosing that?  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Sadly, yes, it needs to be said. It's required by the FDA.  Even my egg carton says ALLERGENS: EGGS.

• Sad 2
  • Love 2

I don't know if this has been covered, but I loooaaaatthhe Molly Shannon... never once found her funny... and that commercial she does where she says "the lendahs came to Linda" make me want to rip out her vocal cords

• Fire 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I don't know if this has been covered, but I loooaaaatthhe Molly Shannon... never once found her funny... and that commercial she does where she says "the lendahs came to Linda" make me want to rip out her vocal cords

"Linda" does a poor job with the accent.  The other woman does a bettah job.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I've hated Molly Shannon ever since she played that armpit smelling weirdo on SNL.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, cynicat said:

Sadly, yes, it needs to be said. It's required by the FDA.  Even my egg carton says ALLERGENS: EGGS.

LOL. Yesterday I noticed that the label my organic peanut butter says 

"WARNING: Contains peanuts."

Well, I should hope so.🤣

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2