Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

That would be Larry the Cable Guy, buffylew. He's proof that you need no discernible talent to make it big in America. The mute button gets a workout whenever one of his commercials comes on.

Not only no discernible talent, but a fake Southern accent (he's from Nebraska).

• Love 3

Wow.  You need to find another Sonic.  Or complain to TPTB about the service; I've NEVER seen this kind of behavior.  And the button at MY Sonic is a call-button.

We have all of 3 in NJ, I think. I just don't go to Sonic too much. Smashburger is better anyway!

Edited by TattleTeeny

No, Southwest Airlines, watching some sleezy broad dance like Elaine in Seinfeld isn't going to entice me to fly with you. Besides dancing like a lunatic, she must be a looser because she's always dancing alone, except when the 12 year old is trying to grad her ass while slow dancing.

• Love 2

Y'all, I cannot with DirecTV anymore. Their commercials with Rob Lowe just piss me off. Especially the one where there's Rob Lowe and "creepy Rob Lowe." Dude, if the rumors are to be believed, you are creepy Rob Lowe. Also, in general, I'm really sick of commercials trying to get me to purchase their products by insulting me. I am not incomplete with your product and I am not an idiot. In fact I am now actually less inclined to buy your product because I very much do not like being insulted.

• Love 4

Y'all, I cannot with DirecTV anymore. Their commercials with Rob Lowe just piss me off. Especially the one where there's Rob Lowe and "creepy Rob Lowe." Dude, if the rumors are to be believed, you are creepy Rob Lowe. Also, in general, I'm really sick of commercials trying to get me to purchase their products by insulting me. I am not incomplete with your product and I am not an idiot. In fact I am now actually less inclined to buy your product because I very much do not like being insulted.

awww I like the "super creepy" one just because when the guy says he's "down at the rec center watching folks swim" it makes me laugh! I don't like any of the other versions of those commercials though, but it's just cause I find them dumb and not funny. 

• Love 1

I don't think a man convicted of statutory rape should really be doing commercials with a "creepy" version of himself.

Was he convicted? What I recall was that he was 21, and had sex with a 16 year old, in a state where 16 was the age of consent. He later said that the incident was what made him decide to get sober.

I know he was charged because he was a lot older than 21 at the time.   He was in a bar that required you be 21 to enter.   She had a fake ID so he didn't know she was under age.   I remember he had to do some community service.    But still not something you want people to really remember now is it?

I looked it up and he was 24 at the time, and he did 20 hours of community service, although since 16 was the age of consent where it happened, I'm not sure why he had to do that.  But I have to think that there are a considerable amount of people who had no idea that this happened, either because they're too young to remember, or because it was so long ago, as I did before I came in here and read about it.  So it doesn't seem to me like something they might think might dredge up negative memories.  I mean when I think of celebrities who like young girls, Rob Lowe is not who comes to mind. 

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2

I just really hate onions and it's more than a simple matter of picking them off; their pungency alone permeates food, especially if the food has been cooked with the onion. The fact that menus often don't mention the onion like it does with other ingredients makes it a pain in my ass. It would be a lot easier to hate mushrooms or carrots, I think--they don't do all that permeating!

OMG, there's more than one of us! And my hate encompasses garlic, chives, etc. I really have to read labels. There is only one pizza place I know that doesn't have onions and/or garlic in the sauce, and they're a Mom & Pop place, not a franchise. I've gotten quite good at making a box mix pizza edible. And I've learned to make my own spaghetti sauce for the same reason. It really would make my life so much easier if the damned things didn't make me gag at the smell alone. Unfortunately, I have become "that person" ordering out. At a birthday dinner out, I was asking the waitress if the breading on their chicken contained onions or garlic. She replied, "If there is, you can't even taste it." My brother started laughing and said, "Oh, I'd bet she could", we all laughed and I ordered something else. *sigh*

• Love 1

I don't think a man convicted of statutory rape should really be doing commercials with a "creepy" version of himself.

I agree.  I was so surprised by that, I thought I might have him confused with someone else.  But nope. 

Not sure where to put this since there isn't a category for" fast food place ads that make you want to hurl"....What kind of drugs had to be

ingested to come up with the Frito Pizza?  Like we don't consume enough junk food as a nation as it is?  Something about it looks so barf-worthy whenever it's on.  Ick.

• Love 2

When I saw that commercial, I came in halfway through, so I didn't see Peyton Manning or that jackass Papa John; I just saw the pizza as the VO explained what it was.  I thought it was a parody, until the Papa John's logo came up and Manning appeared.

Edited by Bastet

OMG, there's more than one of us! And my hate encompasses garlic, chives, etc. I really have to read labels. There is only one pizza place I know that doesn't have onions and/or garlic in the sauce, and they're a Mom & Pop place, not a franchise. I've gotten quite good at making a box mix pizza edible. And I've learned to make my own spaghetti sauce for the same reason. It really would make my life so much easier if the damned things didn't make me gag at the smell alone. Unfortunately, I have become "that person" ordering out. At a birthday dinner out, I was asking the waitress if the breading on their chicken contained onions or garlic. She replied, "If there is, you can't even taste it." My brother started laughing and said, "Oh, I'd bet she could", we all laughed and I ordered something else. *sigh*

Yeah, with the exception of the "dust" on Doritos and the like, I can always taste the onions. I can taste whether a tomato has been sliced with a knife that previously sliced an onion. I can taste the onionyness on a plain bagel that was adjacent to an everything bagel on a tray. And don't even get me started on a half-plain/half-onion pizza! You cannot cook onions next to a non-onion food (and, yikes, the time a sliver of onion ended up under the cheese on a slice from such a pizza, I had decided to at least try out of sheer hunger!). I've involuntarily spat food out abruptly because of secret surprise onions, and I've also swallowed entered bites of food whole just to avoid making it worse by grinding it up! Oh, I hear you on all of this. 

Do you ever get "Not even French onion soup?" That pisses me right off; I just said I can't stand onions and (A) you incredulously inquire if I might be mistaken about that and (B) cite an example with onion not only as the main ingredient but right there in its name?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Do you ever get "Not even French onion soup?" That pisses me right off; I just said I can't stand onions and (A) you incredulously inquire if I might be mistaken about that and (B) cite an example with onion not only as the main ingredient but right there in its name?!

For me it's peas - they cause stomach pains and make me vomit.  I cannot stand the feeling of them in my mouth.  Even if I can get myself to swallow one whole, I have to deal with the nausea and pain.  At a restaurant recently, they brought an extra pea -based course.  A person at our table tried the whole "It doesn't really taste like peas.  You may like this."  So should I risk vomiting at a five star restaurant?  I think not.

Topic - Fritos pizza.  Really? If you actually want something this craptastic, put your own fritos on the pizza.  I thought it was an SNL parody commercial.  I'd like Bugles in my spaghetti and potato chips on my garlic bread while you're at it.  Now where are the Funyuns for my pudding? 

• Love 4

Chitlins, white rice, collar greens, hot sauce, cornbread with a side of butter, sweet potato pie and sweet tea. Life in the deep south is so good.

Other than corn bread & white rice (sometimes), I wouldn't be caught dead eating the other stuff. Especially the chitlins & sweet potato pie. Just the smell of them both makes me sick. 

I think its way past time that Mazda stop having that slogan, Zoom Zoom in their commercials. I'm sick of hearing it all the time for so damn long & I really want to strangle that idiot that came up with that in the first place. It wasn't funny then & its certainly not funny now. I will never buy a Mazda vehicle because of it.

• Love 1

Other than corn bread & white rice (sometimes), I wouldn't be caught dead eating the other stuff. Especially the chitlins & sweet potato pie. Just the smell of them both makes me sick. 

I think its way past time that Mazda stop having that slogan, Zoom Zoom in their commercials. I'm sick of hearing it all the time for so damn long & I really want to strangle that idiot that came up with that in the first place. It wasn't funny then & its certainly not funny now. I will never buy a Mazda vehicle because of it.

I think Zoom Zoom has been around since the 90's. It's incredible to me the staying power of some of these ad campaigns.

Go away, creepy grandpa guy, and leave the poor girl alone with her ugly dresses

I'm not going to be surprised when they find the remains of dead male hookers buried under his house.  Dr. Neil Warren just seems like that type of guy.

• Love 5

Not sure where to put this since there isn't a category for" fast food place ads that make you want to hurl"....What kind of drugs had to be

ingested to come up with the Frito Pizza?  Like we don't consume enough junk food as a nation as it is?  Something about it looks so barf-worthy whenever it's on.  Ick.

When I saw that commercial, I came in halfway through, so I didn't see Peyton Manning or that jackass Papa John; I just saw the pizza as the VO explained what it was.  I thought it was a parody, until the Papa John's logo came up and Manning appeared.

Wait, so there are fritos on a pizza?  But why?  That doesn't sound tasty at all, it just sounds like a way to put more calories on a pizza without any deliciousness.  I'm confused.

For me it's peas - they cause stomach pains and make me vomit.  I cannot stand the feeling of them in my mouth.  Even if I can get myself to swallow one whole, I have to deal with the nausea and pain.  At a restaurant recently, they brought an extra pea -based course.  A person at our table tried the whole "It doesn't really taste like peas.  You may like this."  So should I risk vomiting at a five star restaurant?  I think not.

Peas, carrots and broccoli.  The trifecta of gross vegetables.  And they are everywhere.  And whoever said "it doesn't really taste like peas" sounds like a jerk, unless the pea based course is the only thing that you can eat why should you even try it, why would you even waste time eating something on the premise that it doesn't taste like what it is made out of?!??

• Love 3

I will be so glad when elections are finished! I am beyond tired of hearing a local ambulance-chaser (who I hear donated huge amounts of money to Obama) pushing so hard for the passage of "medical marijuana" laws. I don't object to it being legalized but I just KNOW there's some long game he's playing and I am beyond tired of hearing about him describing his brother/friend on a rotisserie in the hospital and a good day for him being able to get a pip from a Hershey Bar. Ugh!

Chitlins actually aren't that bad, although you have to cook them the right way or else they're not good. Mountain oysters, OTOH< are definitely not to everyone's taste.

I'm not going to be surprised when they find the remains of dead male hookers buried under (the eHarmony guy's) house.  Dr. Neil Warren just seems like that type of guy.

I love it that it's 'when' and not 'if'. That's what makes it art.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3

I only saw the version with "Creepy Rob Lowe" one time; since then, it has been a steady stream of the one with "Painfully Awkward Rob Lowe."  I wondered if the first one was shelved because someone belatedly thought bringing up memories of when Rob Lowe was Creepy Rob Lowe was a bad idea.

I only saw the version with "Creepy Rob Lowe" one time; since then, it has been a steady stream of the one with "Painfully Awkward Rob Lowe."  I wondered if the first one was shelved because someone belatedly thought bringing up memories of when Rob Lowe was Creepy Rob Lowe was a bad idea.

Nah, I just saw Creepy last night.  I think they're just in rotation.

• Love 1

As much as I hate Directv ads, these are a step up from the awful marionettes, of course, that's not saying much. They need to fire their ad agency.

My guess is that their ad agency or team is too young to remember. I can't recall any scandals involving Rob Lowe but I'll take your word for it.

As much as I hate Directv ads, these are a step up from the awful marionettes, of course, that's not saying much. They need to fire their ad agency.

While those ads are indeed creepy as hell, I am always impressed by the human actor in them. He's totally believable and I forget he is playing off nothing.

My guess is that their ad agency or team is too young to remember. I can't recall any scandals involving Rob Lowe but I'll take your word for it.

I think it happened at the 1992 Democratic Convention (when Clinton got the first nomination).  I'm pretty sure it was one of the Democratic Conventions because I am a Democrat and I remember thinking "Oh, great, we'll never hear the end of this."  Then of course Clinton himself sort of took over that angle. 

And while the people at the ad agency might be too young to remember, I would think Rob Lowe would.

It was the 1988 convention, when he was campaigning for Dukakis, that the infamous threesome (him, a young woman, and an underaged girl - but legal under GA law, as this took place in Atlanta) tape was made.  And when that came out, I think there was also a tape of him - and a (male) friend? - having sex with some young model.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

It was the 1988 convention, when he was campaigning for Dukakis, that the infamous threesome (him, a young woman, and an underaged girl - but legal under GA law, as this took place in Atlanta) tape was made.

Was that before or after the feds passed a law prohibiting the filming of sexual activity with someone under 18? I recall reading in a legal column that the law used to be that if the activity was legal under local law, it was legal to film.

Wikikipedia is not 100% accurate.   I was an adult when this went down and a Rob Lowe fan.   He did community service.   Then a few years later he did the movie Sex Lies and Videotapes.    So maybe he thought doing "creepy Rob Lowe" in a DirectTv commercial was more of this "wink wink" thing.

Wikikipedia is not 100% accurate.   I was an adult when this went down and a Rob Lowe fan.   He did community service.   Then a few years later he did the movie Sex Lies and Videotapes.    So maybe he thought doing "creepy Rob Lowe" in a DirectTv commercial was more of this "wink wink" thing.

Wikipedia requires sources, especially on biographies of living people.

That was not Rob Lowe, it was James Spader.

• Love 3

Did you all know that Nikki Manaj has a collection......at KMart?  It is all such a perfect fit.  Apparently this is the ad that is supposed to sell you on this klassy kollection of klothing.  How does the clothing manage to look cheap in the commercial?  I mean normally they at least try to make it look good for the commercials, but this seriously looks like some shit you can pick up at the swap meet.

http://youtu.be/l64Tsz4amYo

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 3

Did you all know that Nikki Manaj has a collection......at KMart?  It is all such a perfect fit.  Apparently this is the ad that is supposed to sell you on this klassy kollection of klothing.  How does the clothing manage to look cheap in the commercial?  I mean normally they at least try to make it look good for the commercials, but this seriously looks like some shit you can pick up at the swap meet.

Just the fact that Nicki Minaj is shilling that crap ought to have been your first clue, RealityGal.

• Love 4

Just the fact that Nicki Minaj is shilling that crap ought to have been your first clue, RealityGal.

I know, I know.  Its just that KMart normally goes out of their way to try to convince you that the stuff you're going to buy there is going to be quality....at least in the commercials, but damn, all that stuff looked awful.  It looked like the sort of thing you give people shit for buying at KMart!  But on a positive note, this opens up the possibility of a Ke$ha collection at WalMart.

I'm really sorry I watched that. :(

I know, you really can't un-see it can you?

So which outfit are you gonna buy first, the super tight pink dress, or the super tight lime green dress, or maybe you're gonna go for the super tight crop top/leggings combo?

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 4