Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Bees52 said:

In a recent Progressive ad Flo visits her sister Janice's new house and gets ignored. First time I watched it I felt bad for Flo. After numerous views I understood why her sister was rude-  I bet any time Flo stops by she wants to talk insurance. " Janice! Look! Janice! "

I love that commercial! 

“Cycling is my passion.”

https://ispot.tv/a/wccR

Edited by 7isBlue
Added link
  • Love 5
On 4/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, QuinnInND said:

I love Twizzlers, but anyone poking me in the face with one is going to be punched. 

I can't stand licorice, I can't stand the current hip look of a guy with a clean haircut yet has a mountain man beard......so lots of hate for this commercial.  All of them, actually.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

"Moooom, dinosaurs only ate meat!" What a nasty piece of work. He then proceeds to have multiple orgasms over his bowl of vegetables. WTF.

Any commercial where a parent (usually a mom though) has to trick, cajole, bribe, etc her offspring to eat healthy choices makes me lunge for the mute button.  There was one for a pedia-sure type drink:  "He was falling off the growth charts!" as sonny boy is pushing away perfectly good food.  But now he is happy!  Why?  Because instead of real food he gets a shake!  Let me guess mom, he gets a gummy vitamins too as we can't have sonny boy eat, oh I don't know.......food?  I was not Mrs Super Strict with my kiddos, but man.....they ate what WE ate.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, nottopbravo said:

Can anyone stand this little creature?

xfinity-just-getting-started-large-4.jpg

I suppose her mother  can who didn't even attempt to object  to her interrupting much less insist she let the poor salesclerk do his job instead of showing him up re aping his sales pitch then doing the moonwalk for no good reason (and does anyone think she'd have done that  last stunt had the sales clerk not been African-American?). Having worked in retail (and having dealt with a few . .. doozy potential customers) , I felt especially mortified on the sales clerk's behalf.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, Bees52 said:

In a recent Progressive ad Flo visits her sister Janice's new house and gets ignored. First time I watched it I felt bad for Flo. After numerous views I understood why her sister was rude-  I bet any time Flo stops by she wants to talk insurance. " Janice! Look! Janice! "

Let's hear it for JANICE!! Maybe if we ALL follow Janice's lead, Flo will GO AWAY AT LONG LAST!

• Love 9

Okay, I am back (so soon?  How can we miss you if you don't go away?) as I thought of another one that is seasonal and it making a comeback.  This could be regional, but we have a school around here called Connections Academy.  Hate hate hate the commercials:  "Hi!  I am Jenny at 22!  This is my younger self at 11!  My parents wanted to put me in an environment where I could really thrive, so they chose Connections Academy!"

Okay, last year I worked at a half online/half school building school and this commercial is so wrong.  Most kids SAY they want an online school but sadly, most will fail.  Why?  They miss their friends and the vast majority of pre teens/teens do not have the discipline to work with deadlines.  Most teens are not really into listening to their parents when it comes to following directions, either.  When I see the happy go lucky pre teen all happy on their laptop, smiling as they talk to their teachers......oy.  Try this scenario:  "Billy!!  BILLY!  Get off the gaming system!!  IT IS TIME FOR SCHOOL!"  "Ma.....stop bugging me....I will get it done."  

The kids they have in the commercial try so darn hard to show how happy, perky, studious and just darn so happy......makes me ill!!!!  LOL!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Let's hear it for JANICE!! Maybe if we ALL follow Janice's lead, Flo will GO AWAY AT LONG LAST!

Doesn't say much for what Flo's pedaling that she can't get her sister interested in even looking at it.

• Love 4
On 10/21/2017 at 3:18 PM, Bastet said:

Yep, and she was also in a very funny episode of Major Crimes this past season, so I like her, too.  Plus, "Millennials, am I right?" makes me laugh regardless.

Very late to the McD's Chicken Tenders ad but I like the lady!!!  She cracks me up helping her friend swipe right or left on Tinder.  "I am good with that!" as she lounges in the pool.  Still would not eat Chicken Tenders though.....

• Love 1

There's some commercial where the parents show up to pick their kids up from school in this gigantic new minivan and all the kids are swooning over the fancy new features ("Look at these apps! And there's a secret compartment in the dashboard! WHEEEEE!")

At the end of it, one little girl tells her mother, "When I grow up I want you to buy me this car" and the mother says, "I want to buy ME this car."

WTF? You mean they didn't actually get to KEEP the minivan at the end? Then what was the point? Talk about a bait and switch!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

WTF? You mean they didn't actually get to KEEP the minivan at the end? Then what was the point? Talk about a bait and switch!

I remember sleazy car salesmen pulling that trick on my parents when I was growing up. I think the intent is to make you feel bad about saying no after driving it around a couple of hours, and maybe being seen with it by friends and family. It probably also helps convince you that it's time to get rid of your old car. These days most salesmen don't risk letting you go off alone with a vehicle.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Eliot said:

There's some commercial where the parents show up to pick their kids up from school in this gigantic new minivan and all the kids are swooning over the fancy new features ("Look at these apps! And there's a secret compartment in the dashboard! WHEEEEE!")

At the end of it, one little girl tells her mother, "When I grow up I want you to buy me this car" and the mother says, "I want to buy ME this car."

I think that commercial is the dumbest. Granted, I'm not close with many elementary school-age kids, but do any of them actually care about what the interior of their parents' SUV looks like? The commercial boy's eyes widen so much when they open the door and he sees the middle row of seats. That kid doesn't care about all-leather interior. Come on, now.

• Love 13
On 4/25/2018 at 7:34 PM, Bees52 said:

I HATE FLO. Always have. Always will. I will NEVER buy insurance from Progressive just because of Fucking Flo.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I think that commercial is the dumbest. Granted, I'm not close with many elementary school-age kids, but do any of them actually care about what the interior of their parents' SUV looks like? The commercial boy's eyes widen so much when they open the door and he sees the middle row of seats. That kid doesn't care about all-leather interior. Come on, now.

Probably not. I can't see kids getting caring unless their parents showed up in the Batmobile or something like that. You know something their favorite character drives or flies or whatever.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, I am back (so soon?  How can we miss you if you don't go away?) as I thought of another one that is seasonal and it making a comeback.  This could be regional, but we have a school around here called Connections Academy.  Hate hate hate the commercials:  "Hi!  I am Jenny at 22!  This is my younger self at 11!  My parents wanted to put me in an environment where I could really thrive, so they chose Connections Academy!"

Okay, last year I worked at a half online/half school building school and this commercial is so wrong.  Most kids SAY they want an online school but sadly, most will fail.  Why?  They miss their friends and the vast majority of pre teens/teens do not have the discipline to work with deadlines.  Most teens are not really into listening to their parents when it comes to following directions, either.  When I see the happy go lucky pre teen all happy on their laptop, smiling as they talk to their teachers......oy.  Try this scenario:  "Billy!!  BILLY!  Get off the gaming system!!  IT IS TIME FOR SCHOOL!"  "Ma.....stop bugging me....I will get it done."  

The kids they have in the commercial try so darn hard to show how happy, perky, studious and just darn so happy......makes me ill!!!!  LOL!

My niece is doing her senior year of high school on line (her mother moved to a new school district). My niece is - surprise-failing. It's mostly because she doesn't get the work done but also because she needs more guidance, instruction and structure. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I'm not sure if this DirectTV commercial has been mentioned here yet, but I feel more irritated every time I see it. Who is the target audience? Am I supposed to think it’s funny when someone destroys someone else’s property, and comes close to injuring that person in the process? All it does is make me wonder what the AT&T ad executives were thinking. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2xhmgfUgs

I always wonder if they had switched genders what major outrage would ensue. Throwing someone's stuff out a 2nd floor window, destroying property, putting people below in danger...all to demonstrate some she-power bullshit? Nonsense. Hate the voiceover too.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I'm not sure if this DirectTV commercial has been mentioned here yet, but I feel more irritated every time I see it. Who is the target audience? Am I supposed to think it’s funny when someone destroys someone else’s property, and comes close to injuring that person in the process? All it does is make me wonder what the AT&T ad executives were thinking. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2xhmgfUgs

Actually, I think it's a metaphor. The boyfriend isn't a boyfriend, it's the old cable company.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Actually, I think it's a metaphor. The boyfriend isn't a boyfriend, it's the old cable company.

Really?! How many old cable companies does anyone know of keep  their  guitars, clothes and other personal effects in one's dwelling?

Also, I'd like to add that IMO it also brings up a rather offensive stereotype that African-Americans are   cruel vandals who'd gleefully destroy white folks'  properties.

Lastly, neither in the commercial itself nor in the voiceover is any attempt made alluding to   any offense done on the part of the old boyfriend- apart from possibly having brought over his belongings to her (their?) dwelling.

Edited by Blergh
stereotype addendum
  • Love 3

Also, every time I see that Direct TV ad I feel like the guy could catch the guitar.

So I saw a short version of the below ad today, and it was only the big guy in the blue shirt saying “who wants to drink lead?”

Perhaps I am being oversensitive, but isn’t this ad a little tone deaf?  Don’t we all know by now that for some people, they have been given no choice but to drink lead, and perhaps the price of a PUR filter is out of reach?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Also, every time I see that Direct TV ad I feel like the guy could catch the guitar.

So I saw a short version of the below ad today, and it was only the big guy in the blue shirt saying “who wants to drink lead?”

Perhaps I am being oversensitive, but isn’t this ad a little tone deaf?  Don’t we all know by now that for some people, they have been given no choice but to drink lead, and perhaps the price of a PUR filter is out of reach?

I have always thought that this ad was tasteless as hell, considering Flint Michigan.  Also.. he could catch the guitar.  And, there is a WORLD of difference between throwing your spouse's clothes on the lawn, and wreaking destruction on all their property.  Horrendous, throwing all that stuff out the window!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, AuntieL said:

My niece is doing her senior year of high school on line (her mother moved to a new school district). My niece is - surprise-failing. It's mostly because she doesn't get the work done but also because she needs more guidance, instruction and structure. 

Darn it!!  I was REALLY hoping you were going to come on and say your niece is a success story!!  (Really, I was!)  Plus (here is another shocker, I know) most parents, although smart, are not equipped to handle high school or even middle school subjects.  Do you want to teach/tutor Calculus?  Me neither.  

Also, the over the top chirpiness of the preteens is just......no, they are not THAT chipper.  I found one with Tyler - who wants to be a chef - I want to post the one about the kid who gets a puppy and suddenly he wants to be a vet.  I need to go get a hobby now......

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I have always thought that this ad was tasteless as hell, considering Flint Michigan.  Also.. he could catch the guitar.  And, there is a WORLD of difference between throwing your spouse's clothes on the lawn, and wreaking destruction on all their property.  Horrendous, throwing all that stuff out the window!

That apartment was at least two floors up which, via gravity and velocity means that, unless he's wearing a catcher's bib, mitt and face guard, there's a good probability he'd have injured himself had he actually tried to catch this guitar (and she didn't even tell him to catch it before she threw it out). Moreover, he and that poor bystander pushing the shopping cart could have been seriously debilitated had it actually hit either/both of them.

However; I agree with the rest of your post and wish they just had had her put all his belongings in a large pile in front her locked door with a big 'GO AWAY!' note on it!

P.S. And I haven't forgotten that ATT  had been legally ruled a monopoly so customers need to consider that before thinking of them as 'liberators'.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Blergh said:

That apartment was at least two floors up which, via gravity and velocity means that, unless he's wearing a catcher's bib, mitt and face guard, there's a good probability he'd have injured himself had he actually tried to catch this guitar (and she didn't even tell him to catch it before she threw it out). Moreover, he and that poor bystander pushing the shopping cart could have been seriously debilitated had it actually hit either/both of them.

However; I agree with the rest of your post and wish they just had had her put all his belongings in a large pile in front her locked door with a big 'GO AWAY!' note on it!

P.S. And I haven't forgotten that ATT  had been legally ruled a monopoly so customers need to consider that before thinking of them as 'liberators'.

I had to speak to ATT customer service on another matter today and at the end of the conversation, she asked if she could help with any other matters.  Me: "As a matter of fact..."

When I started to describe my issues with the sexist, racially insensitive commercial she started cracking up. She said when the ad was previewed for ATT staff, they all had the same reaction! 

• Love 12

And that, my friends, is marketing. Some higher-up said he wanted the commercial done and everyone told him it was a bad idea, but he insisted on it because he "knows what sells". That's how Kendall Jenner Pepsi ads get made.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

And that, my friends, is marketing. Some higher-up said he wanted the commercial done and everyone told him it was a bad idea, but he insisted on it because he "knows what sells". That's how Kendall Jenner Pepsi ads get made.

And let's not forget the Paris Hilton Burger King bikini advertisement. Always made me wonder exactly what kind of burger they were selling! LOL

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Darn it!!  I was REALLY hoping you were going to come on and say your niece is a success story!!  (Really, I was!)  Plus (here is another shocker, I know) most parents, although smart, are not equipped to handle high school or even middle school subjects.  Do you want to teach/tutor Calculus?  Me neither.  

Also, the over the top chirpiness of the preteens is just......no, they are not THAT chipper.  I found one with Tyler - who wants to be a chef - I want to post the one about the kid who gets a puppy and suddenly he wants to be a vet.  I need to go get a hobby now......

If it makes you feel better my best friends  middle and youngest kids did online school and they both did very well. The middle girl graduated a year early,  the youngest a year and half early (or 2, cant remember which one). However they both were (and still are) extremely independent, self-assured young women. 

• Love 5
On 4/19/2018 at 2:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

"Moooom, dinosaurs only ate meat!" What a nasty piece of work. He then proceeds to have multiple orgasms over his bowl of vegetables. WTF.

And the product they are advertising is.......COUNTRY CROCK!  Okay, call me a Minnesota Dairy Snob (copyright pending) but that crap is NASTY.  Butter is the bomb and he who eats Country Crock.... I will smite you.

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

And the product they are advertising is.......COUNTRY CROCK!  Okay, call me a Minnesota Dairy Snob (copyright pending) but that crap is NASTY.  Butter is the bomb and he who eats Country Crock.... I will smite you.

There is nothing but Butter in my house.  I don't use that fake crap for anything!  MMM.. real buttered toast!

• Love 7
On April 23, 2018 at 5:54 PM, iMonrey said:

I can't be the only one creeped out by Reba McIntyre dressed as Colonel Sanders. Seriously - her freaky clown smile and podunk accent is the thing nightmares are made of.

Even dressed as herself, the freaky clown smile and Podunk accent induce nightmares....never could stand her.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Even dressed as herself, the freaky clown smile and Podunk accent induce nightmares....never could stand her.

At least Miss McIntyre can sing- unlike FLO who has all the above strikes against her with zero redeeming features whatsoever!

• Love 6
On 4/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, iMonrey said:

I can't be the only one creeped out by Reba McIntyre dressed as Colonel Sanders. Seriously - her freaky clown smile and podunk accent is the thing nightmares are made of.

Oh, that clown smile!  I watched her first sitcom a lot in syndication and she did not smile like that, so it must be plastic surgery gone wrong. I tried to watch her new sitcom a few years ago, and all I could see was that smile. At first I thought, well, she's smiling that way for emphasis because she just said something really snarky...but no. That was her actual smile and I just couldn't with it.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Blergh said:

At least Miss McIntyre can sing- unlike FLO who has all the above strikes against her with zero redeeming features whatsoever!

I will very respectfully disagree with your assessment of Miss McIntyre's singing, but am with you 100%, regarding Flo!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I will very respectfully disagree with your assessment of Miss McIntyre's singing, but am with you 100%, regarding Flo!

Fair enough. There are plenty of folks whose singing I personally have no liking or interest in that somehow are popular enough with others to make full-fledged careers.

Anyway, we can both hope that one day [SOON]  TPTB will swallow their false pride. decide enough's been too much and cut their losses re Flo and Miss McEntyre (commercial wise in her case).

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Isn't Country Crock just yellow lard?

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Anyway, we can both hope that one day [SOON]  TPTB will swallow their false pride. decide enough's been too much and cut their losses re Flo and Miss McEntyre (commercial wise in her case).

Well, you don't have to worry about the Reba McEntire commercials lingering around too long, since the entire premise of the campaign is an ongoing list of celebrities taking turns with the role; the next one will be around soon enough.  Flo commercials have been on the air for many, many moons now, so those annoyed by them are obviously not causing any losses for Progressive.  You may have to continue waiting quite a while for those to go away.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Isn't Country Crock just yellow lard?

No, lard is good, especially in pie crust!  

"Water, Vegetable Oil Blend (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Salt, Whey (Milk), Vegetable Mono and Diglycerides, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids (PotassiumSorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Used to Protect Quality,Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Artificial Flavor, Vitamin APalmitate, Beta Carotene (Color), ..." 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, you don't have to worry about the Reba McEntire commercials lingering around too long, since the entire premise of the campaign is an ongoing list of celebrities taking turns with the role; the next one will be around soon enough.  Flo has been around for many, many moons now, so those annoyed by her commercials are obviously not causing any losses for Progressive.

We're starting to see a new batch of George Hamilton as The Colonel commercials, and he looks very...tanned.  It's an improvement over Reba.  She just didn't work in these ads.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

We're starting to see a new batch of George Hamilton as The Colonel commercials, and he looks very...tanned. 

Which is the point. George Hamilton is representing the Extra Crispy chicken.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

o_O  Why on earth would you think that?

I don't know it to be true (that Country Crock is really yellow lard).  But I've tried it and that's what I think it tastes like. My grandparents raised me and my grandmother was an awesome cook. She cooked certain things with lard so I do know lard! LOL!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't know it to be true (that Country Crock is really yellow lard).  But I've tried it and that's what I think it tastes like. My grandparents raised me and my grandmother was an awesome cook. She cooked certain things with lard so I do know lard! LOL!

Whew! For a moment I thought you'd lost it. ;-)

• Love 1